Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

crazysim posted:

I don't know about the Mao names being French being all that different from today. The actors of the Mao family all have French names themselves. I guess it's more prominently shown though.

François Chau is Cambodian of chinese vietnamese stock. But it's a ex French colony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011
So I'm half way through season 3 and there's something that's bothering me. In the last episode of season 2, after the hybrid is killed after tearing through the Rosi trying to get to the reactor, there's a lingering camera shot of a glob of protomolecule that got missed during clean up. Is this ever revisited or is it another plot hole?

edit: nevermind, I just got to ep8.

Shut up and JAM! fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 19, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Keep watching, don't spoil yourself.

jfood posted:

the weird, hosed up gold-disc preachin' and square dancin' cargo cult that would have developed on the navoo...

The Nauvoo later featured on an episode of The Orville

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shut up and JAM! posted:

So I'm half way through season 3 and there's something that's bothering me. In the last episode of season 2, after the hybrid is killed after tearing through the Rosi trying to get to the reactor, there's a lingering camera shot of a glob of protomolecule that got missed during clean up. Is this ever revisited or is it another plot hole?

Ignoring the specific thing you mention hear so you don't get spoiled, but what else do you consider to be plot holes? I've not noticed any at all really but I might have missed some.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also, something like 45% of Russians are Orthodox, so it is much more religiously monolithic than the US.

Ummmm. Something like 47% of Americans are Protestant.

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich

feedmegin posted:

Orthodox is a single church, “Protestant” is not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You might as well just say that Americans are Christian. Protestant just means "not catholic."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

feedmegin posted:

:catholic:

As has been pointed out, the other side of the schism is much more monolithic: ~44% of all Russians identify specifically as Russian Orthodox, 1% as Greek or Antiochian Orthodox, and the rest of the country is a mix of other denominations and religions like you'd expect. America hasn't ever had a single religious identity pull numbers like that. By comparison, the largest, single US denomination is Catholicism with ~23% of the US population.

Anywho, did we decide where Anna was from because :effort: to type 3 words into Google...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cojawfee posted:

You might as well just say that Americans are Christian. Protestant just means "not catholic."

"Not Catholic or Orthodox"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm happy that The Expanse isn't so smug about religion like Star Trek. But it's understandable that even in their enlightened world that nobody gives a gently caress about the mormons.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Anywho, did we decide where Anna was from because :effort: to type 3 words into Google...

In the books she's originally from Kimry, Russia and lived most of her adult life in Moscow. At the start of Abbadon's Gate, she's living on Europa.

In the show she lives in St Petersburg.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Toast Museum posted:

In the show she lives in St Petersburg.

An ordained lesbian methodist with a black partner living in Russia still more realistic in the future than an ordained orthodox woman!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

:catholic:

As has been pointed out, the other side of the schism is much more monolithic:

In terms of 'is it surprising this character is not Orthodox/Protestant' I'm not sure this matters, tbh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm happy that The Expanse isn't so smug about religion like Star Trek. But it's understandable that even in their enlightened world that nobody gives a gently caress about the mormons.

I keep waiting for there to be some action by the mormons against Fred Johnson or Holden or somebody or something. Try to steal the navuoo back. Unless I fell asleep and missed half an episode or something?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Zaphod42 posted:

I keep waiting for there to be some action by the mormons against Fred Johnson or Holden or somebody or something. Try to steal the navuoo back. Unless I fell asleep and missed half an episode or something?

The Mormons are suing Tycho, but much like the MCRN and the Roci: :shrug:

Also the Mormons don't have a navy so they are probably twice-hosed.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Also the Mormons don't have a navy so they are probably twice-hosed.

They also don't have much legal standing. The ship was commendeerd during an emergency legally. Then legally salvaged. The fact that the same people did both is not a legal relevant thing. Yes the Mormon's got a raw deal, but that's the nature of getting unlucky during a diaster.

Also this thread has now spent 10 times the words considering Mormons than the books and show combined.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And I doubt earth is going to go to bat for the mormons in their fight against the people who saved earth from eros and only stole it in a last ditch attempt to save the earth.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
losing your investment because it was employed to try and stop an alien entity dropping a rock on Earth, that probably qualifies as force majeure. Mormons are poo poo out of luck. besides, as has been said, who's going to make them give it back if they win their case.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

going after the navoo does give earth's law enforcement a chance to gently caress over poors for the sake of really rich white folk though. as advanced as a cop in 2240 or whatever might be, they'd loving salivate and the chance to teach the belters about 'respect'.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Anna is totally Russian in the books. The Florida thing is just a joke I believe. However, she is a Russian protestant minister lesbian who lives in Africa with her wife and their biological child. It's one of those things the authors just casually mention before moving on to show how different the world is at the time the books take place. Kind of like the Mao family whom all have French names, or how an entire area of Mars is inhabited by Chinese and Indian ethnicity people who speak and act like Texans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NMrqGHr5zE

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's almost like that's exactly how colonialism works.

Who knew.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

frieda quon musta been a goddamn minx back in the day.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

jfood posted:

going after the navoo does give earth's law enforcement a chance to gently caress over poors for the sake of really rich white folk though. as advanced as a cop in 2240 or whatever might be, they'd loving salivate and the chance to teach the belters about 'respect'.

yeah but i have this feeling that by this point inner cops aren't gonna be able to just waltz in and arrest johnson

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rocksicles posted:

It's almost like that's exactly how colonialism works.

Who knew.

I just really found it interesting :)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

I just really found it interesting :)

Wasn't directed at you, just in general about the accent and names thing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I know I'm the only one who feels kinda bad for the mormons, primarily because they're the only people in the solar system working hard towards a goal that doesn't involve 'murder other people' in some way.

Here's the totally legitimate and legal salvage explained video again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLjifumRk3Q

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are murdering every child born on that ship

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I know I'm the only one who feels kinda bad for the mormons, primarily because they're the only people in the solar system working hard towards a goal that doesn't involve 'murder other people' in some way.

Here's the totally legitimate and legal salvage explained video again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLjifumRk3Q

Its not rocket appliances!

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

Can I feel sorry for them and still think they are legit poo poo out of luck?

Cause, that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't know what show this is from, but it's not a good sign that I think this video would be 100% improved by cutting out the witty banter and cutting right to step 2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's Trailer Park Boys.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

jfood posted:

frieda quon musta been a goddamn minx back in the day.

She still is :confused:
don't be creepy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

They are murdering every child born on that ship

The same could be said of spaceship earth

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

One of the writers (or both?) were GRRM's assistant. I wonder if that had affected their writing.

Both GRRM and them like to spend time describing what the characters are eating (I think it's a nice bit of world and character building) and both have religion in their worlds.

I remember an interview of GRRM where he criticized JRR Tolkien's work for Middle Earth basically not having any religions. Martin felt like that was inauthentic.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Both GRRM and them like to spend time describing what the characters are eating (I think it's a nice bit of world and character building) and both have religion in their worlds.

I do want to know more about Alex's lasagna, made with fake cheese and real love.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

One of the writers (or both?) were GRRM's assistant. I wonder if that had affected their writing.

Probably not that much since they actually write.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

They've been consistently releasing one novel every year or so, and have kept it up for seven books now. The final two of the series look like they're on track as well. It's pretty crazy that they're able to keep up a schedule like that, though I guess having two writers helps.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

And Abraham has kept up his own writing pace at the same time.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Their collaboration style is pretty neat: they chop up the POVs and pass chapters back and forth each week. That probably was influenced by GRRM and the Wildcards Trust.

Successful fiction author is probably the second best job after Lottery Winner: I imagine they don't have much trouble putting in work. If they ever hit a snag: they can always RP a few rounds!
:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

And Abraham has kept up his own writing pace at the same time.

It's amazing that they were trained by GURM given the consistent release pace for each new book.

Maybe they aren't NFL fans?