Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

frankenfreak posted:

Yeah, it sucked that they didn't try harder to let Tama build cred as a threat of his own.

Fully convinced he can't tbh. He's never had a G1 match that floats into the "very good" range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:rip: Goto, you died doing what you loved: not quite being good enough to win.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tonfa posted:

Fully convinced he can't tbh. He's never had a G1 match that floats into the "very good" range

Honestly? He's the one that should have been dropped in favour of Cobb or Taichi. Or, gently caress, see if you can get Miyahara, or even someone like Pentagon.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly? He's the one that should have been dropped in favour of Cobb or Taichi. Or, gently caress, see if you can get Miyahara, or even someone like Pentagon.

he sucks outside if tag matches but he's in an important angle so i can understand. problem is with him and fale we have the same exact poo poo every single night.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm half way through the G1 events and I'm loving Mid Life Crisis/Yer Da after the divorce Okada, slimy wee prick Switchblade and everything else that's happening I love pro wrestling.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Thauros posted:

we have the same exact poo poo every single night.

Two of them in the A-Block, as every Jay White match has ended the same.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Is it wrong that I'm kinda expecting Firing Squad fuckery in the Kenny/Kota match

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Chris James 2 posted:

Is it wrong that I'm kinda expecting Firing Squad fuckery in the Kenny/Kota match

I don't see why they would side with Ibushi unless he turns heel.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

I don't see why they would side with Ibushi unless he turns heel.

No I'm expecting them to both be beat up

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

frankenfreak posted:

The Destino from the Fireman's Carry looked weird.

Juice :(
I think the Counter-Destino is supposed to be weaker than the full Destino, correct me if I'm wrong though.

e: I'm actually interested in seeing how the Firing Squad story will develop over the course of the G1. Being the NWO isn't working so far, so I'm curious if they're gonna adapt eventually, especially with Unno firmly standing against them. And the group is still getting a grip of crowd heat for their actions, so that tells me they're doing something right. Anyway, this story is gonna be worth it once Omega One-Wing Angel's Tama from the top rope onto a steel chair to shut his loving mouth.

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 21, 2018

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
That was a thoroughly enjoyable array of B block matches.

So Jay White is gonna win this huh

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fart blood posted:

That was a thoroughly enjoyable array of B block matches.

So Jay White is gonna win this huh

Nah. I see him finishing 2nd in the block. Probably spoiled by Okada either winning or losing to Tana at the end.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

YANO
TO
RU
:woop::dance::woop:
:getin:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm excited for White to win, completely flop in his title program, go to Mexico for a year, and come back as White LA Park

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"Why does that Skeleton have a knife?!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

"Why does that Skeleton have a knife?!"

Don't give up, skeleton

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Tama Tonga and Fale are still two of the worst workers in their respective blocks but I'm kind of loving this feud with Red Shoes in a "Iizuka loving with the commentary team in ~2014" way

On the finals show I hope they just start having a match with Red Shoes, which of course ends with Red Shoes fast counting his own pin

I Before E fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 21, 2018

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Caught up on the shows and god drat, I'm now a Hangman Page believer after his match with Okada. I really wanted him to pull out the win there.

YTR/Ibushi was amazing as was SANADA/ZSJ. I like how SANADA had an answer and counter for everything Sabre threw at him and how frustrated Sabre got because of it. Love that B Block!

Oh, I also love how rightfully terrified White is of Suzuki. Think I'm going to have to wake up at 4:30am to watch tomorrow's show live.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The Firing Squad fuckery has only affected Fale and Tama matches which weren't goinh to be that good anyway, so what they're doing is fine to me.

Now we know Hangman and Chase are firmly on Kenny's side. The angle has been building each night so I have confidence in the payoff.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Phenix Rising posted:

Caught up on the shows and god drat, I'm now a Hangman Page believer after his match with Okada. I really wanted him to pull out the win there.

YTR/Ibushi was amazing as was SANADA/ZSJ. I like how SANADA had an answer and counter for everything Sabre threw at him and how frustrated Sabre got because of it. Love that B Block!

Oh, I also love how rightfully terrified White is of Suzuki. Think I'm going to have to wake up at 4:30am to watch tomorrow's show live.

SANADA learned for the New Japan Cup that you can't be aggressive with ZSJ. You have to be calm and not give him an opportunity to lock you in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

SANADA learned for the New Japan Cup that you can't be aggressive with ZSJ. You have to be calm and not give him an opportunity to lock you in.

Almost.... tranquilo? :haw:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

don't forget, tomorrow's show starts early at 12:30 PDT.

very very excited for suzuki/knife pervert

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

hi i just wanted to say that naito is a jerk and i hate him for hurting my friend juice. thank you for listening

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I bet Juice hands Omega his first loss in the tournament. I'd love that to be a recurring thing, that Kenny can't beat Juice in the G1.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

John Dudebro posted:

hi i just wanted to say that naito is a jerk and i hate him for hurting my friend juice. thank you for listening

:yeah:

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Goto vs. Ishii was a goddamn work of art. Goto is probably my favorite wrestler on the roster. Just scrappy, brutal, and consistently a must-watch guy. I'd love a "Thanks for being a Straight Up Gangsta" IWGP run. Even if it's for 0 defenses as is tradition.

5 Stars. Goddamn son. :discourse:

John Dudebro posted:

Naito is such a big 'ol meanie. :saddowns:

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 21, 2018

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Another great night of B block matches, aside from Tama.

Crowd seemed even hotter than usual which is something considering the usual vibe in Korakuen.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So I'm gonna throw this out there and you guys just correct me if I'm wrong:

The parts of his matches in this tournament where Tama Tonga wrestles his opponent, the parts where he's doing a wrestling match are at worst okay and at best really loving good.

It's all the parts around that with the bizarrely ineffective interference that are loving things up.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

VJeff posted:

The parts of his matches in this tournament where Tama Tonga wrestles his opponent, the parts where he's doing a wrestling match are at worst okay and at best really loving good.

It's all the parts around that with the bizarrely ineffective interference that are loving things up.

I wouldn't go as high as "really loving good", but he's not YOSHI-HASHI bad, yeah.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

VJeff posted:

Tama often gets an unfair rap because people tend to say he's somehow boring or bad or w/e, or dumb stuff like "He's a poo poo promo but good in the ring" with the next guy saying "He's a great talker but sucks at wrestling"

I think Tama is cool, but the constant interferences get out of hand, are predictable and trite.

Red Shoes flipping G.O.D. off was a highlight, though. I'll never get enough of that.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Tama Tonga is very fast and moves in the ring in a way almost nobody else does in New Japan, which I think makes him fun to watch when he actually goes and wrestles for 10-15 minutes instead of having interference. I wouldn't call him excellent but he is pretty good whenever he actually wrestles other fast people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He's also got the best Stinger Splash since probably when Sting was in his prime. It's a thing of beauty.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Tama to me feels like he is playing wrestler instead of being an actual competitor.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Draxion posted:

Tama Tonga is very fast and moves in the ring in a way almost nobody else does in New Japan, which I think makes him fun to watch when he actually goes and wrestles for 10-15 minutes instead of having interference. I wouldn't call him excellent but he is pretty good whenever he actually wrestles other fast people.

This is more or less how I feel. I've been kind of confused every time someone trashes his matches, thinking "Am... I supposed to not enjoy this? Because he's pretty good from what I can see." Like sure I get why the only gold he's ever held has been as a tag team, but still, none of his G1 matches from last year ever screamed "terrible worker" at me.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Chris James 2 posted:

Maybe for the finish, but this is a Budokan main event and most anticipated match of the tournament for pretty much everyone so they should think carefully on it. I'm enjoying the fuckery generally but wouldn't for that match.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wasn't super into Tama's matches with Juice or Sanada but he brought a lot of fire yesterday until absurd cheating happened and I was liking what I was seeing. I don't know if he's ever had a super memorable match for me but he carries himself fairly well in the ring and has some good physical charisma. Still one of the less good wrestlers in the G1 but he's generally always good for a solid match.

This whole Firing Squad thing blows though. Like I kinda get why they need to cheat to do anything, it's a stable of just Fale Loa and Tama some of the weaker wrestlers on the roster who have never had a breakout match over all their time in New Japan. I can see not trusting them to be super credible threats without it, but if New Japan can't see these guys as being credible Main Event Heels they shouldn't have done this angle in the first place.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

He's also got the best Stinger Splash since probably when Sting was in his prime. It's a thing of beauty.

It is, but sometimes he gets too MUCH air on it and nearly clears the turnbuckle and seems to barely touch the opponent.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I find the firing squad to be insanely boring.

But I am loving this Toru Yano guy!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fart blood posted:

But I am loving this Toru Yano guy!

This just means you're human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've been watching since Wrestle Kingdom and I've never really found Yano that entertaining but his performance so far has been inspiring

• Locked thread