Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had a thought. Eco lady says that humanity is entering an extinction event. I'm wondering if this movie will go the route that the great extinction events in earth's history are actually caused by massive Kaiju battles. Like Ghidorah and Godzilla had a fight so destructive it caused the Permian Triassic extinction or the KP boundary and the "meteor" crater in the Gulf of Mexico is actually the battleground for Kaiju.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

My guess is that the angle is global warming melted the ice keeping Ghidorah contained, therefore she doesn't feel bad about freeing Rodan and Mothra and them running loose on humanity in the process. The character's reactions are because jesus christ lady these things are gonna kill us all.

Yeah the Farmiga character, like the scientists in the first one, is obviously full of poo poo. Her speech doesn’t even make sense (they’re a fever, we’re an infection, but we need them to save us? Nonsense) and she doesn’t care

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I had a thought. Eco lady says that humanity is entering an extinction event. I'm wondering if this movie will go the route that the great extinction events in earth's history are actually caused by massive Kaiju battles. Like Ghidorah and Godzilla had a fight so destructive it caused the Permian Triassic extinction or the KP boundary and the "meteor" crater in the Gulf of Mexico is actually the battleground for Kaiju.

She says humanity is causing an extinction event.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Great trailer. G14 really set the stage that the monsters in the film really couldn't give a drat about humanity because we were beneath their notice. Godzilla was a force of nature (more like an ageless, invincible avatar of the Earth) meant to restore balance. In this film, it appears he's in the same role though where Rodan and Mothra fit in, I don't know. Obviously Ghidorah is the "bad guy" but he seems to be something truly malicious. If the snippets from the Monarch Sciences website are literal, Ghidorah can literally destroy mankind just by flying around. We'll fight back, sure, but the army never can stop the monsters.

Godzilla was only briefly shown in the trailer, and I think for good reason. Rodan and Mothra, even Ghidorah, will probably be showcased more than Big G in the final cut because the mystique of Godzilla in these films is that he's transcendent in some fashion. Ghidorah, though bigger and more catastrophic, is a usurper and false king. I love the poster because it makes Godzilla look like a gnat. When Godzilla is the perceived underdog, that's a hell of a thing.

(I keep fearing that this movie will completely nuke my hope for Godzilla vs. Kong. If Godzilla can stop something on the scale of Ghidorah, what the hell is Kong going to do, or at least, how ham-fisted and arbitrary will the plot be that Godzilla is challenged by him?)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah the scale of destruction shown on this means I have no loving idea what they’re going for for GvK unless it’s a continuaron god whatever this movie sets up with Kong (now fully grown) leaves Skull Island to help balance the Earth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One of the most important implications from the monarch website is the red part about Ghidorah. Godzilla and friends are obviously intelligent. This version of Ghidorah may be sentient.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dammit I’m stuck watching Fringe festival and this trailer drops. I can’t wait to watch it at home!

Holy gently caress everything is there!!!

Best movie of 2019!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Crazy twist: the girl from Stranger Things are the twins and we’ve seen them both in the trailer just never together. Also you see the same ship from Ghidora’s scene on Rodan while he’s on top of the volcano. Ghidorah is frigging massive.

Honestly, I'd have to go back and watch but in the picture of the family on the iPad I think I remember seeing two kids about the same age, and not just the one kid. So honestly, a pretty safe bet.

edit: there are two kids, but they're not the same age, though both look like girls with brown hair, sooo... maybe?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FooF posted:

(I keep fearing that this movie will completely nuke my hope for Godzilla vs. Kong. If Godzilla can stop something on the scale of Ghidorah, what the hell is Kong going to do, or at least, how ham-fisted and arbitrary will the plot be that Godzilla is challenged by him?)

Ideal surprise scenario, Godzilla CAN'T stop something on the scale of Ghidorah alone and her entire speech happens halfway through the movie and is in reference to awakening King Kong.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Neo Rasa posted:

Ideal surprise scenario, Godzilla CAN'T stop something on the scale of Ghidorah alone and her entire speech happens halfway through the movie and is in reference to awakening King Kong.

Getting a little crowded don't you think?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It turns out that the Legendary Goji movies are just a big budget adaptation of the flashback sequence of Planet of the Monsters and these movies are going to end with a shot of some rear end in a top hat kid named Sazaki.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Honestly, if Jet Jaguar and King Caesar aren't in the movie it's not really worth my time.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh, there'd be zero tension if Godzilla could stop Ghidorah on his own. I think Godzilla will get a crack at Ghidorah and lose in the second act (setting up the third) but at the end of the day, he's going to be one landing the coup de grace. Kong making an appearance could happen, as could half a dozen of the other monsters alluded to in the Monarch ARG. This film could be more of a mash-up of Ghidorah The Three-Headed Monster and Destroy All Monsters. I would be down for a Destroy All Monsters beatdown.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FooF posted:

Oh, there'd be zero tension if Godzilla could stop Ghidorah on his own. I think Godzilla will get a crack at Ghidorah and lose in the second act (setting up the third) but at the end of the day, he's going to be one landing the coup de grace. Kong making an appearance could happen, as could half a dozen of the other monsters alluded to in the Monarch ARG. This film could be more of a mash-up of Ghidorah The Three-Headed Monster and Destroy All Monsters. I would be down for a Destroy All Monsters beatdown.

Nah, it'll probably be Mothra. I don't think that's Mothra emerging and unfolding her wings from beneath the sea, I think that's her emerging in the middle of Ghidorah's hurricane that the ARG says Ghidorah generates when he flies.

I'm guessing it will roughly go:

Ecoterrorist wakes up Rodan, Rodan wreaks havoc -> Monarch wakes up Godzilla, Godzilla beats down Rodan -> Ghidorah arrives and beats down Godzilla -> Mothra wakes up and fights Ghidorah -> Godzilla gets his second wind and teams up with Mothra to kill Ghidorah -> post-credits teaser shows Kong has learned to swim

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 21, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'd change that to Kong builds a kayak and paddles away from Skull Island.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

A King Kong Kickboard

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think a suit of powered armor might be more in order, given that he'd be facing a Godzilla who's prevailed over this apocalyptic clusterfuck, even if he needs Mothra's and humanity's help to do it.

On the other hand, if the supposed leak's post-credit bit is true, Destoroyah waking up would be a more than suitable bad guy for Godzilla and Kong to team up against after an inconclusive battle between themselves.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Maybe there could be, like, 5 goddamn King Kongs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also interesting, the actress playing the ecoterrorist lady noted in an interview that her character has invented a device that lets her speak with the kaiju - and, she believes, control them.

I'll take "Jesus Christ That's A Bad Idea" for 500.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Mantis42 posted:

He's the leader of the bunch, you know him well
He's finally back to kick some tail

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It could be that she's right, the Titans ARE part of maintaining Earth's natural balance - but Ghidorah is an invasive species. From, uh, space.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

With some of that Monarch viral marketing reveals, gotta wonder if that opening in the trailer, with MBB on the roof, is the coming of Ghidorah.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Cythereal posted:

Also interesting, the actress playing the ecoterrorist lady noted in an interview that her character has invented a device that lets her speak with the kaiju - and, she believes, control them.

I'll take "Jesus Christ That's A Bad Idea" for 500.

The comic half century war has a Kaiju attracting plot thingy that wouldn't be too dumb for a movie.

Film looks awesome and the Godzilla + jets scene sent me straight back to being a little kid cheering for Godzilla to save the earth. He's so grumpy now too!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Davros1 posted:

With some of that Monarch viral marketing, gotta wonder if that opening in the trailer, with MBB on the roof, is the coming of Ghidorah.

Probably. Ghidorah is noted in the Monarch thing to cause category 5 hurricanes just by flying around.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I could see it being larval Mothra.

I thought it was Gamera but he’s an entirely different set of rights right

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh yeah, Gamera's not a Toho. He's just filled with turtle meat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mandatory lesbian posted:

if there are no twin fairies throw this movie in the trash

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Thank you next Godzilla movie for fulfilling my fantasy of completely destroying the greater DC area and everyone in it.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Calaveron posted:

I thought it was Gamera but he’s an entirely different set of rights right

Yeah, totally different IP. Gamera was originally a kid's movie as well, where as Godzilla was intended for adults.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

that trailer uh didnt look good whooooo boy

still gonna watch it though

wheres mechagodzilla you idiots

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Davros1 posted:

With some of that Monarch viral marketing reveals, gotta wonder if that opening in the trailer, with MBB on the roof, is the coming of Ghidorah.

The yellow lightning is kind of a big hint.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just watched that trailer at home on the big screen - holy gently caress - its SO GOOD. Clair de Lune used expertly! gently caress, I cannot wait.

Perfection.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mantis42 posted:

And they each pilot a giant ape robot that combine together to form an even gianter ape robot?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Peanut President posted:

The yellow lightning is kind of a big hint.

Slightly disappointed at no bizarre screeching but I'll take it!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mantis42 posted:

It could be that she's right, the Titans ARE part of maintaining Earth's natural balance - but Ghidorah is an invasive species. From, uh, space.

I was thinking that Ghidorah is like a natural function of the Earth. When things are messed up enough to melt the polar ice caps, Ghidorah comes out, and unleashes a thousand years of terror until the Earth starts cooling again. The other monsters are probably the only reason that there is still life on Earth.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe Godzilla dies defeating Ghidorah and his son Godzilla Jr fights Kong at a more equal size.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Will it be Minilla or Godzooki?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A subplot of this film will be Jr learning to fight his own battles, you know.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Like Bigfoot, there isn’t a single Kong. There may only be one *King* Kong, but they are legion. And they are here to conquer the broken remnants of humanity left tattered after the great Titan war. This truly is a Planet of the Kongs.

Or there could be one Kong, I don’t remember what Skull Island said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Violator posted:

Like Bigfoot, there isn’t a single Kong. There may only be one *King* Kong, but they are legion. And they are here to conquer the broken remnants of humanity left tattered after the great Titan war. This truly is a Planet of the Kongs.

Or there could be one Kong, I don’t remember what Skull Island said.

It's stated explicitly in Skull Island that Kong is the last of his species but hey that never held anyone back from a good old fashioned retcon