Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Firing Squad is very boring and I've never seen the appeal of Fale in general. I want to like Tama and I have in tag matches in the past but he hasn't done anything for me in the tournament so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Fale's draw is meant to be "big tall guy who can win against anyone through sheer strength" I guess but if they need that role in tournaments it should probably be Lance Archer at this point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Draxion posted:

Fale's draw is meant to be "big tall guy who can win against anyone through sheer strength" I guess but if they need that role in tournaments it should probably be Lance Archer at this point.

Or Trent.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Phenix Rising posted:

I want to like Tama and I have in tag matches in the past but he hasn't done anything for me in the tournament so far.
Yeah.

Yeah. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'd really like to give Gedo's booking of Firing Squad the benefit of the doubt. Normally in NJPW, the refs will let just about loving anything go, but Firing Squad keeps pulling up shopping carts with their tactics and they've been DQed three times in six matches. What they're doing straight up isn't working. I wanna believe this is leading somewhere.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Rarity posted:

I've been watching since Wrestle Kingdom and I've never really found Yano that entertaining but his performance so far has been inspiring

Highly recommend his matches with Kenny and SANADA from last year's G1.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

sigmachiev posted:

Maybe for the finish, but this is a Budokan main event and most anticipated match of the tournament for pretty much everyone so they should think carefully on it. I'm enjoying the fuckery generally but wouldn't for that match.

They'll probably pull "Firing Squad attempts to take them both out before the bell even rings, but Bullet Club cuts them off and they brawl to the back to leave Kenny and Kota to their match" if they pull anything (I don't think they will, New Japan treats the block finals very, very seriously since they're peak matches in the calender year; it'd be like having lots of interference in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom). But having a big factional brawl between the entrances and start of the match as a little bit of extra heat and a wink of "oh you thought we were going to gently caress you over on seeing this, ha ha, now watch these guys go nuts" seems possible.

Phenix Rising posted:

Firing Squad is very boring and I've never seen the appeal of Fale in general. I want to like Tama and I have in tag matches in the past but he hasn't done anything for me in the tournament so far.

Fale was at his best as Devitt's underboss - the idea of a junior getting one of the largest guys in the company at the time to be his heater was this perfect combo.

As for the Firing Squad? I bet they get a lot more to work with when Destruction/Strong Style Unleashed rolls around. This is sort of the Switchblade situation all over again, except instead of it being "well Tanahashi busted his knee so any confrontations you were going to have past Power Struggle have to be put off until who knows when" loving over his immediate post-return angle, this is more "we wanted to end the San Fran show with a big change-up in Bullet Club to keep the US fans interested" and are now trying to find enough of a balance to not defang the Tongans out the gate but not have them dominate the tournament with bullshit finishes.

TriffTshngo posted:

Highly recommend his matches with Kenny and SANADA from last year's G1.

PRESENT! PRESENT FOR YOU!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yano's also an absolute blast to see live.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

VJeff posted:

I'd really like to give Gedo's booking of Firing Squad the benefit of the doubt. Normally in NJPW, the refs will let just about loving anything go, but Firing Squad keeps pulling up shopping carts with their tactics and they've been DQed three times in six matches. What they're doing straight up isn't working. I wanna believe this is leading somewhere.

when yano and iizuka teamed they got dq'd all the time and it never led anywhere except to bad iwgp tag team title matches

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

STONE COLD 64 posted:

when yano and iizuka teamed they got dq'd all the time and it never led anywhere except to bad iwgp tag team title matches
Were they in an angle with the IGWP Heavyweight Champions at the time? If not, it's apples and oranges.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wonder if All In's main won't be something like Firing Squad vs some version of BC/Elite in a cage or something

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

All In isn’t a New Japan event, though. NJPW also has an event at the end of September themselves in Long Beach, and their Destruction tour in the middle of the month, if they’d do anything with Firing Squad the build would probably be over the tour and a minor blowoff at Long Beach.

I’m pretty sure the only reason Kenny and Okada are even able to be on All In is because it’s right in the middle of the post-G1 break, when they basically let talent take whatever outside bookings they want (and because the Bucks are very close with both Kenny and Kazu).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I can't watch live but this DDT Korakuen show looks good and starts in just over an hour. It should end about an hour before the G1 starts if anyone wants anything to do while waiting for the G1. It's free and doesn't need subscription for a live viewing.

https://ddtuniverse.com/program/index/20180722_LIVE_DDT

quote:

Under Match
Tomomitsu Matsunaga vs Yuki Ueno

Yukio Sakaguchi, Masahiro Takanashi, Keisuke Ishii & Kazusada Higuchi vs Sammy Guevara, Jason Kincaid, Facade & Mizuki Watase

Big Love!
Special Single Match
Daisuke Sasaki vs Asuka

T2HiJoshi vs ALL OUT Joshi ~Korakuen Super Hot Whirlpool!~
Francoise☆Takagi, Margaret★Owashi & Kazuko Hirata vs Keiko Takeshita Jr., Akiko & Carousel❤Shun

Uchikomi! Openweight Ultimate Title
Belt Scramble Tag Rumble
KUDO & Saki Akai vs Danshoku Dieno & Makoto Oishi vs Antonio Honda & Alex Ace vs Soma Takao & Nobuhiro Shimatani vs Super Sasadango Machine & Yuki Iino vs Kouki Iwasaki & Rekka vs Ken Ohka & Gota Ihashi

KO-D Tag Team Titles
Tetsuya Endo & Mad Paulie (c) vs Mike Bailey & MAO

KO-D Openweight Title
Shigehiro Irie (c) vs HARASHIMA
*HARASHIMA will cash in his Right To Challenge Anytime, Anywhere Gauntlet

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

My girlfriend says that Naito is a homeless cat.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

My girlfriend says that Naito is a homeless cat.

Is your girlfriend secretly Hiromu Takahashi?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

She might be.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

quote:

Big Love!
Special Single Match
Daisuke Sasaki vs Asuka

:swoon: yes!!!!! I've been wanting to watch some big love stuff since i learned about Asuka.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

:swoon: yes!!!!! I've been wanting to watch some big love stuff since i learned about Asuka.

It's been the best love story in wrestling. Watching miserable metal head Daisuke Sasaki with this big cheesy grin on his face hitting wrestling moves for Asuka's approval has been fantastic.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

when tama tonga gave red shoes the stun gun, i reacted like he actually shot him. red shoes is an institution.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It's been the best love story in wrestling. Watching miserable metal head Daisuke Sasaki with this big cheesy grin on his face hitting wrestling moves for Asuka's approval has been fantastic.

that's awesome!!! i'm looking forward to watching it, but i just really, really hope it doesn't devolve into transphobia. :(

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I can't watch live but this DDT Korakuen show looks good and starts in just over an hour. It should end about an hour before the G1 starts if anyone wants anything to do while waiting for the G1. It's free and doesn't need subscription for a live viewing.

https://ddtuniverse.com/program/index/20180722_LIVE_DDT

Is this going to be wacky DDT or more serious DDT?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

that's awesome!!! i'm looking forward to watching it, but i just really, really hope it doesn't devolve into transphobia. :(

I don't think this storyline will cos they've referenced her gender identity on commentary and in the little interesting information factbox everyone gets on weekly TV but you may want to skip the following match. The story is that All Out are defending their titles against the Sendai Girls on Tuesday and the owner of the company Takagi is worried they're not up to the task, so he and his buddies are going to dress up as women to test if they're good enough to beat the Sendai Girls and also All Out have to dress up as women.

SalTheBard posted:

Is this going to be wacky DDT or more serious DDT?

A mix. The first match will be serious, the second will be a serious match but kind of a romcom storyline I guess, the third and fourth are pure wackiness and the two KO-D matches are serious.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Quick q: is there something you have to do to watch the show freely? It's asking me buy a sub.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

Quick q: is there something you have to do to watch the show freely? It's asking me buy a sub.

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1020861374547701762?s=19

Maybe they've hosed up. Sorry if that's the case.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

I've been debating getting a ddtuniverse subscription for a while, so I decided to just do it. :)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tama's Shakespeare soliloquy interpreted by wrestling was amazing and I'm just not getting the complaints. The dude is NJPW midcard but that's a real high place to be.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Haven't look forward to a Heel vs Heel match as much as I am with Suzuki vs Jay White

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Haven't look forward to a Heel vs Heel match as much as I am with Suzuki vs Jay White

Suzuki is gonna have so much fun murdering him :allears:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

"Kenny Omega is the human version of the Spicy Ramen Challenge."

-My GF TYOL 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SatoshiMiwa posted:

How dare you say such things about noted crowd pleaser and good egg Minoru Suzuki :mad:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I liked it when Tama Tonga flipped out but I also liked it when Kenny Omega hit him and told him to shut up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So, after 6 nights, who's your tourney MVP so far?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

VJeff posted:

A Block: EVIL and Suzuki
B Block: YTR, ZSJ, SANADA, really like half the block could count, but SANADA/ZSJ is my favorite match of the tourney so they're leading

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VJeff posted:

Got to be Jay White for being the most destestable guy on the planet. God, I can't wait for Suzuki to destroy him :allears:

Bonus shoutouts to Hangman, Yano and SANADA as well.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

VJeff posted:

Jay White for sure, guy's definitely gotten the feel of his character after pretty visibly having no idea what to do with it at the start of the year. The best way I can think to describe him is "vicious, slimy little gently caress" and it's fantastic.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

VJeff posted:

White, Page, Ishii and Goto are my frontrunners right now

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Suzuki is gonna get his nuts crushed by the Switchblade.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah so far Jay White has been the standout of the tournament.

No joking at all either, but Yano has been fantastic as well.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's an early show tonight and I have the next day off :neckbeard: Quick predictions before we get started

Michael Elgin [4] vs. YOSHI-HASHI [0] -- The battle of a guy who'd be easy to love if he was a better human being, vs. the guy who'd be easy to love if he was good at wrestling. Real talk, Elgin's had a good tournament so far but will be in an uphill battle with YOSHI, who looks completely checked out at this point. I'll be surprised if this goes longer than 10 minutes in the opening spot.

EVIL [4] vs. Bad Luck Fale [2] -- Fale kinda poo poo the bed in his last match (before the great finish it was basically Tana wrestling himself) and the BC OG bullshit isn't going away anytime soon. Maybe this will be a fun little crowd brawl, EVIL's great at that stuff, but I don't have high hopes.

Jay White [6] vs. Minoru Suzuki [2] -- Oh man I can't wait for Minoru to beat some respect into Jay. Expect the usual shenanigans from Switchblade, but they won't work on Suzuzki this time.

Hiroshi Tanahashi [4] vs. Hangman Page [2] -- Easy MOTN contender. These two showed fantastic chemistry in last night's tag match and Page is on a roll. Also, as he reminds us every G1, Tana is still one of the best wrestlers alive. Should be a great time.

Kazuchika Okada [2] vs. Togi Makabe [4] -- At first glance this seems like an odd match to put in the main event, even with Okada's star power. But Makabe has been really over-delivering in this tournament and will have that extra motivation going on last against Okada. Lil' Kazu picks up the win to build his momentum some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

You know you don't have to settle for bargain bin Seth Rollins, the real thing is having matches just as bad

• Locked thread