Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Leavemywife posted:

CJ wasn't unlikable.

I hated him for not telling his brother to gently caress off with all that "we gotta save the hood!" poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

loving Two Worlds II is so loving janky I can't cope with it. I'm really early on and it's hard enough to hit the enemies effectively and it's on the easiest setting.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Leavemywife posted:

CJ wasn't unlikable.

and he didn't feel like a GTA Protagonist either.

voltcatfish posted:

Niko Bellic?

GTAIV always felt like the odd one out game to me, I guess if it were a new IP more focused on Crime Not Being Cool it'd be better received but, as it is, it's like the middle game of a trilogy that never got a prequel or a sequel.

They're all good characters, but, to me, Tommy just fits into the insane world of a sandbox crime game without much dissonance.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Bogmonster posted:

loving Two Worlds II is so loving janky I can't cope with it. I'm really early on and it's hard enough to hit the enemies effectively and it's on the easiest setting.

I played Two Worlds 2 up to the point that I could leave the first area, and I quickly got bored (Truthfully, I was already bored). There was something there though that made me enjoy it enough to beat that part. Which is sad, as I loved the first one. That game was the epitome of Euro Jank, yet I loved it all the same. In fact, I think it was the game that opened up my eyes to enjoying a game even through all it's flaws. I should play it again soon.

EDIT: ^^^^Vice City works for me, along with Saint's Row 2, because instead of you constantly getting messed with and hosed over, you are the one doing the messing/loving. When you are working for someone for 3 missions then, suddenly, they turn on you, multiple times in the SAME game, that poo poo gets old. Nico complaining about not wanting to be a criminal, yet doing almost exclusively criminal things, just gets annoying, pretty quickly. Playing a protagonist who really enjoys the poo poo they are doing adds a lot to the experience.

Plus Ray Liotta was awesome as Tommy. In fact, just looking at the cast, I had no idea they had so many people. May have to play that again soon too.

ScentOfAnOtaku has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Jul 22, 2018

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I played Two Worlds 2 up to the point that I could leave the first area, and I quickly got bored (Truthfully, I was already bored). There was something there though that made me enjoy it enough to beat that part. Which is sad, as I loved the first one. That game was the epitome of Euro Jank, yet I loved it all the same. In fact, I think it was the game that opened up my eyes to enjoying a game even through all it's flaws. I should play it again soon.

It has one of those magic systems where you put together a bunch of properties and modifiers to make custom spells, and you just know there are all sorts of broken combinations waiting to be found, so stumbling across those was fun for a while.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think with GTA V they're trying for a story about people falling back into bad habits. Michael because his imagined ideal family life is hell, Franklin because he wants to get ahead, and of course Trevor never stopped.

The problem is after a while there isn't much pressure to keep going. It's an open world sandbox and after the first heist everyone has a decent amount of money, so why bother? The thing about CJ is he's always behind the ball in one way or another, and that's good motivation AND adds a little to the catharsis when you go on the inevitable rampages. (The Saints Row games have the constant hook of taking over more and more of the city, and IV adds in the idea that everything you do is sticking it to Zinyak in one way or another.)

As pointed out though another big problem is the writing. Every character who isn't one of the protagonists is shrill and annoying (with the exception of a couple of Trevor's unfortunate partners) and the women come off particularly poorly. And speaking of plot elements that get dropped, remember when Michael catches his wife with another guy and chases him into the hills and gets into trouble, but later when his wife brings over the yoga guy she's all "stop being so paranoid"? Like maybe this was on purpose because there are reasons for Michael to want to keep acting normal but it's hard to distinguish from legit lazy writing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bogmonster posted:

The first one was beloved for being a janky piece of poo poo but the devs were so earnest. The second one is just bad but polished enough to not be as funny.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Honestly? I completed all of the missions for GTA V up until the time Franklin gets his apartment in the Vinewood Hills and you start taking missions from the FBI guy. I was beginning to get bored because after a bunch of missions, including at least one heist, I wasn't seeing any progress at all. It was more fun to just cause chaos in Los Santos and complete side missions instead of slogging through the main story.

I recently bought the Steam version of Vice City, though, and it's been fun reliving that game. Except for the Avery Carrington RC helicopter mission (you all probably know which one I mean), almost all of the missions on there are fun, and you get a real sense of progression. Of all the modern GTA games since III, I think Vice City is my favorite. I hardly remember anything at all about IV except "I'm here for my cousin!".

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Well, this was a bad thread to catch up on after finally getting GTA V for my upgraded PC. GTA IV was my favourite, V's car handling is awful in comparison, and whoever mentioned the sluggish animation-movement a while back was super right.

On the other hand I'll probably never replay GTA IV because of all the hand-holding tutorial missions at the start of the game. I haven't got far enough into V to see if they've learnt from that...

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Honestly? I completed all of the missions for GTA V up until the time Franklin gets his apartment in the Vinewood Hills and you start taking missions from the FBI guy. I was beginning to get bored because after a bunch of missions, including at least one heist, I wasn't seeing any progress at all. It was more fun to just cause chaos in Los Santos and complete side missions instead of slogging through the main story.

I recently bought the Steam version of Vice City, though, and it's been fun reliving that game. Except for the Avery Carrington RC helicopter mission (you all probably know which one I mean), almost all of the missions on there are fun, and you get a real sense of progression. Of all the modern GTA games since III, I think Vice City is my favorite. I hardly remember anything at all about IV except "I'm here for my cousin!".

I have the exact same problem with IV, it all just blends together in my head.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Maxwell Lord posted:

and the women come off particularly poorly.

This is something that bothered me about GTAV in particular. Every female character, whether they're a relatively major character, or a minor background character screaming bit dialogue over and over again basically feels like a reddit story strawman caricature. You can basically feel the smug "women, am i rite?" coming off of the game because in a world of obtuse, exaggerated personalities and stereotypes the women come off as the ones with the least amount of effort put into making them at all real.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I finished S.T.A.L.K.E.R shadow of chernobyl (first time unmodded) and i thought it was great,very atmospheric and even the bugs were pretty funny.

From the start there's some good amount of freedom exploring the world and it's fun exploring all the nooks and crannys and you have load of ways to approach firefights.

Then the endgame becomes a linear corridor shooter filled with one hit kill enemies and it really soured the entire thing for me.Also waaaay too much radiation to the point where you're basically playing an entire level while being poisoned and it's annoying as poo poo.

Time to play it modded now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've never even played Far Cry 2 because it sounds so ridiculous that you never get to kill the Jackal, which was your initial goal, and instead must do his bidding and sacrifice yourself in the ending.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've never even played Far Cry 2 because it sounds so ridiculous that you never get to kill the Jackal, which was your initial goal, and instead must do his bidding and sacrifice yourself in the ending.

Eh, it makes more sense in context. You’re gunning for him for a while, but if you find his tapes it’s pretty apparent early on that he’s not really the bad guy. He’s selling weapons to both sides because if one wins, they’ll start massacring civilians from the other side. The last mission is the two of you trying to get a shitload of refugees over the border, and if you don’t take the option to blow yourself up barricading the route behind you, it leaves it up in the air as to wether or not you off yourself after.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think The Jackal is mainly selling weapons to cause the conflict to escalate and stay in the world’s spotlight. Without them there still would be conflict, but nobody outside of the country would care and its civilians would continue to suffer.

Most of the character development/plot is in the second act. I feel like you are supposed to be just another mercenary in the first act. Somebody who is just chasing money with no regard for how his/her actions effect others. You kind of change your tune out after you’ve been betrayed by one faction and find that the other faction still wants you to do their dirty work AFTER you’ve assassinated one of their leaders.

I think it is implied that your malaria is going to be fatal too or something, but that is not really handled well since you have been popping pills to fight the malaria during the entire game.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Jul 22, 2018

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just getting into Assassin's Creed Syndicate (no playable future sections, yay!) and something that bothered me straight away was how much money the basic thugs are carrying. I've yet to pick up less than £3 from one, at a time when that would have been something like a sailor's monthly earnings (source). No wonder these thugs put up a fight, they're being paid bloody well if that's just their loose change.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
the Animus is adjusting for inflation

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Please don't remind me about the lovely framing device for my historical stabbing adventures.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I don't need to, Ubi will after the end of every single Sequence

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Samuringa posted:

the Animus is adjusting for inflation

Now that I think of it, why *didn't* the AC:Syndicate have an option to turn currency presentation style to pre-decimalized pounds? You can usually change between metric and comedic for distances, why not between decimals and "god knows why, rule Britannia!" for the monetary value?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Shamus Young is doing a written retrospective on GTA, and he notes that the likes of GTA3 don't try tell a cohesive story but rather emulate specific scenes from Scorcese and Mann movies, and when you put these scenes together they don't make a coherent plot as the intention is style over substance. It wouldn't make sense in a movie for a character to have a simple goal in the beginning, only to then spend 2 hours doing a load of completely irrelevant busywork, only to then end the film with them completing their initial goal with little fanfare.

He says that the problem with this aimless storytelling-method is that Rockstar never moved on from it. He also mentions how much he hates the race against Hilary in Vice City.

http://shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=43189

Vice City is pretty much just a beat for beat remake of Scarface when you get right down to it. After a while THAT drageed that game for me a little. Another example of this was Silent Hill 2 (or maybe 3) lifting SO MUCH from Jacob's Ladder. I mean straight up ripping it off.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Der Kyhe posted:

Now that I think of it, why *didn't* the AC:Syndicate have an option to turn currency presentation style to pre-decimalized pounds? You can usually change between metric and comedic for distances, why not between decimals and "god knows why, rule Britannia!" for the monetary value?

Flashing up the £3 is a hell of a lot shorter than "1 Shilling and a ha'penny"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

Flashing up the £3 is a hell of a lot shorter than "1 Shilling and a ha'penny"

Uh, actually it would be 1s 1⁄2d. :smuggo:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Uh, actually it would be 1s 1⁄2d. :smuggo:

1s 1/2d refers to both the cost and the service provided

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well it still is somewhere around "less than 20 characters" so based on my software engineering knowledge it should be something that could be done without breaking the UI too much? Also, dynamic adjustion should not make it too small?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
A historical fiction game series but instead of assassinations you do old tyme accountancy.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Vice City is pretty much just a beat for beat remake of Scarface when you get right down to it. After a while THAT drageed that game for me a little. Another example of this was Silent Hill 2 (or maybe 3) lifting SO MUCH from Jacob's Ladder. I mean straight up ripping it off.

I think SH4 was the most blatant. It had the subway station for one thing. The whole series is pretty heavily inspired by it though, especially the rusty abandoned wheelchair stuff

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

One of the earlier AC games (I think it was 3) had a codex entry explaining that yes, during the time period of the game the people of the area used a bunch of different types of currencies, but that would be too confusing so the Animus just boils it down to one.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Convex posted:

I think SH4 was the most blatant. It had the subway station for one thing. The whole series is pretty heavily inspired by it though, especially the rusty abandoned wheelchair stuff

I can't unfuck my mind ever since I posted in a thread that I'd enjoy if there was a game adaptation of Solaris like they did with I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream and someone suggested Silent Hill 2

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

One of the earlier AC games (I think it was 3) had a codex entry explaining that yes, during the time period of the game the people of the area used a bunch of different types of currencies, but that would be too confusing so the Animus just boils it down to one.

Yeah, the diffence between half-penny, ha-penny, sixtfoot, doublepoinder, doblecrown, haa-kikke, half-kicker, two-piece, saith-piece- innahaafpenne and such would probably been too much.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Convex posted:

That's the one I was thinking of then. It's been a while but I remember one SH game blatantly ripping off Jacob's Ladder. The subway scene definitely stood out. Think they did a hospital gurny scene too.

EDIT: No, wait, SH4 was the room and not the one I was thinking of . Maybe I'm getting them mixed up. that, or they all stole from that movie.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Homecoming was the one where they REALLY hammered that 'Jacob's Ladder Callback' button.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

BiggerBoat posted:

That's the one I was thinking of then. It's been a while but I remember one SH game blatantly ripping off Jacob's Ladder. The subway scene definitely stood out. Think they did a hospital gurny scene too.

EDIT: No, wait, SH4 was the room and not the one I was thinking of . Maybe I'm getting them mixed up. that, or they all stole from that movie.

SH3 has a (iirc very short) subway section (beneath the mall? that ends with the worm fight? I can't remember...), maybe that's what you're thinking about.

Although I'd say all the Silent Hill games crib really heavily from Jacob's Ladder, especially 2 onward.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jacob's Ladder wasn't even a horror-film. It's a psychological drama that partway deals with grief and also conspiracy. The weird scary poo poo is just a symptom of the title-characters mental turmoil.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yardbomb posted:

Homecoming was the one where they REALLY hammered that 'Jacob's Ladder Callback' button.
Homecoming doesn't count. :colbert:

I'm not one of those hardcore fanboys who have been going "only the glorious Japanese are allowed to make Silent Hill games" since 2006, but Homecoming really is a low-effort pile of trash (from a developer known mainly for making low-effort trash) from top to bottom. The only redeeming quality that game has is the Akira Yamaoka soundtrack.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jacob's Ladder wasn't even a horror-film. It's a psychological drama that partway deals with grief and also conspiracy. The weird scary poo poo is just a symptom of the title-characters mental turmoil.

Oh that poo poo's definitely horror though. The dance scene at the party alone is some good bad poo poo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Final Fantasy 14 has some unique dialogue in cutscenes dependent on other quests you've done and what classes you have leveled up. For whatever reason these lines are completely omitted if you rewatch a cutscene :saddowns:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jacob's Ladder is most definitely a horror film. It's the scariest film I've ever seen, and it's merciless to its audience.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jacobs Ladder is a tense horror psychological film but when it portrayed chiropracty as a legitimate practice is when it becomes truly horrific for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Leal posted:

Final Fantasy 14 has some unique dialogue in cutscenes dependent on other quests you've done and what classes you have leveled up. For whatever reason these lines are completely omitted if you rewatch a cutscene :saddowns:

The devs have actually admitted this as a flaw in how the games coded and they do hope to fix it one day. The game is still built on the trainwreck that was 1.0, after all