Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have eaten the 'dine. In fact, I eat it as we speak.

All in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

would eat every creature in that gif

edit: would eat every creature fishie in that gif

cephalopods are too :cool: for me to eat
really big squids usualyl too tough anyway

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Apparently most mackerel is fine mercury wise, just not king mackerel. Which is good because King Oscar Atlantic mackerel is hella tasty.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One in three fish caught never make it to your plate.

”Lasse Gustavsson, executive director of Oceana in Europe” posted:

Aquaculture is far from being the magic bullet, as it is often unsustainable. Using 20m tonnes of fish like mackerel, sardines and anchovies to feed farmed fish instead of people is a blatant waste of food.

Eat more ‘dines instead of fish that are being fed said ‘dines.

The article also states better processing of fish will help reduce waste, particularly better refrigeration or drying fish out to preserve them. Now I want to look for dried ‘dines.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Point of order, while we should absolutely feast on the dine, do we not get the best ones, with a lot of the ones processed being the ones that got hosed up in a net or something?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Nessus posted:

Point of order, while we should absolutely feast on the dine, do we not get the best ones, with a lot of the ones processed being the ones that got hosed up in a net or something?

I'd buy a tin of damaged dines. You just mash that one into a paste and use it in a dip with some cheese and hot sauce. Actually just mash up the mauled ones and sell it as sardine paste.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It’s very possible the ‘dines being fed to other fishies are the ones that don’t meet QC for the companies that package ‘dines for us to eat.

I remember seeing a vid of a shrimp boat hauling up a net full of stuff. The only kept the shrimp; all other sea life was left to die then dumped back overboard. :gonk:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I had BBQ'ed sardines from a portugese place they were drat good and I felt like a kitty cat taking the meat off the fish with my fingers to put into a portugese bun. Would recommend.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Got into another tin of KOs. Put 'em on matzo. Pro tip: Put the fish on the non-salted side so you can get the full bite savor.

fdjkbnadjnbkjldaf
Mar 2, 2016
Is this thread really about sardines wtf! But i will not hesitate not even for a second.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The cento hot cherry pepper spread is really really really good though I haven't found a sweet pepper spread at the local grocers to mix it and minced anchovies filets with to approximate a neonata sauce (which i remind i've never had before anyway). That said it's really drat tasty and a must buy if you're tossing together sandwiches. Not unbearably hot yet still a good flavor. Worth your time and money

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The job lot had King Oscar kipper snacks! :woop:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Sprat-Chat:

What's a good brand of sprats? A few years back I stumbled across a case of Roland brand sprats, and they were nice (though I'd rather have olive oil instead of soybean). But I really like small fishes in cans. The three-sardine-in-a-can can taste good, but part of the appeal is like 10+ fishes in a single place, stacked like protein cordwood.

Also, what's the diff. between cross-pack and sprats?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The job lot had King Oscar kipper snacks! :woop:

Job Lot is my go-to for cheap 'dines. $1 cans of fish - and even if they're not top shelf, the price is right.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Weltlich posted:

Job Lot is my go-to for cheap 'dines. $1 cans of fish - and even if they're not top shelf, the price is right.

Ocean State Job Lot?

I would also try Market Basket. Depending on which one you visit they have a pretty good selection and good prices. Try the older locations in Lowell (wood st is great)

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ferroque posted:

Ocean State Job Lot?

I would also try Market Basket. Depending on which one you visit they have a pretty good selection and good prices. Try the older locations in Lowell (wood st is great)

Yup, Ocean State. I'm up in VT, but we've got a OSJL over in St. Johnsbury. I think the closest market basket to me is over in New Hampshire, but I drove through there to get to Boston, so I'll check it out.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
OSJL is great. Unfortunately I'm not near a Market Basket. I have been picking up some neat stuff at the new Good Fortune grocery store, though, including some Szechuan peppercorn dines. :getin:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
King Oscar Mediterranean Mackerel for Amazon Prime Day.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Weltlich posted:

Sprat-Chat:

What's a good brand of sprats? A few years back I stumbled across a case of Roland brand sprats, and they were nice (though I'd rather have olive oil instead of soybean). But I really like small fishes in cans. The three-sardine-in-a-can can taste good, but part of the appeal is like 10+ fishes in a single place, stacked like protein cordwood.

Also, what's the diff. between cross-pack and sprats?

a thousand times these:

https://www.amazon.com/Riga-Gold-Sprats-Ounce-Pack/dp/B00KX1IJTA

they seem to be getting harder to find though

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

hey 'dine bros what do you think about this aromatherapy technique

someone try it out and report back

naem
May 29, 2011

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

:stare:

SAVAGE.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/ikes-vietnamese-fish-sauce-wings

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I’ve had these wings at Pok Pok and these are arguably my favorite flavor wings ever.

I recommend trying this recipe if you have the chance.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Are trader joe's dines held in high regard? I... I may have purchased a great many.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

i had some mackerel on a nice crusty bread w a little hot sauce for lunch mmm mm love them fish

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I love TJ's mackerel in sunflower oil but the oil gives me bad poops

Does Aldi have good dines?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I made those wings but I just put all the ingredients in the marinade (no corn starch, obviously) and grilled them instead. Quite tasty, though I wish I had reduced the marinade like the recipe says because they could have used a little sauce. Didn't bother because I didn't want to risk burning anything by leaving sauce on the stove while tending the grill.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

What are you supposed to do with that big chunk of raw cabbage? Just pick it up and gnaw on it?

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Nessus posted:

Are trader joe's dines held in high regard? I... I may have purchased a great many.

The old thread highly praised the TJ dines in harissa.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zoe posted:

What are you supposed to do with that big chunk of raw cabbage? Just pick it up and gnaw on it?

No one who has received that side dish has ever figured it out. It is becoming common in upscale fried chicken places.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ferroque posted:

The old thread highly praised the TJ dines in harissa.
These are just in olive oil. Will report on quality

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zoe posted:

Yes

The wings are very potent so it's a welcome break

Its a very common addendum to many Thai dishes (thought he wings are Viet) and also shows up in Japanese Yakitori, it's a great counterpoint to roasted or fried meat

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nessus posted:

These are just in olive oil. Will report on quality

They're my go-to for being large, decently chewy, good tasting, have bones (eat 'em), and cheap as all get out. Not as good as KO brislings by a long shot, but better than the KO's sourced from Morocco, and again... cheap.

Haven't seen the harissas in a couple years now, am disappointed.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Android Apocalypse posted:

I’ve had these wings at Pok Pok and these are arguably my favorite flavor wings ever.

I recommend trying this recipe if you have the chance.

The Pok Pok cookbook is also IMO probably the best cookbook that's ever been made, unquestionably the best one devoted to any kind of ethnic cooking, so if you're tired of cooking the same poo poo all the time but don't want some fake white man horseshit (but also don't know how to deal with half of the authentic ingredients not being in your stores) it's a great buy. It's beautiful as well and very importantly provides a lot of context and background about the dishes (the lack of which is the main cause of bad fusion dishes).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I’m in Maryland right now so I made my own Ike’s Vietnamese wings. Didn’t have cilantro or mint but it was magic to reduce the sauce into a fish sauce caramel glaze. I also baked the wings as I didn’t have enough oil or a thermometer for accurate frying (the baking powder technique definitely helped it crisp up).

Time consuming, but holy cow I’m making these wings next time there’s a big party.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The black peppercorn King O's are so good. I'm converted.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So, I'm thinking of ordering a pizza with anchovies for the first time. What kinds of toppings pair well with them?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
More anchovies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I tried it once and hated it. any flavor from anything else was overpowered by anchovies. nah.

now one thing I have done and would do gain is put some jalapeño KO on the pizza after it's done cooking. dat awesome dine flavor is there without hiding the other flavors