Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Night Shade posted:

i have been appreciating tefs rants on distributed systems for a while now even with about half of them resulting in me going "oh god that's us and now we i have to fix it before it breaks horribly".

also, yet another terrible medical software programmer checking in

e: vvv :rip:

Extremely same. Down to using both event sourcing and a queue (separately).

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

hey i want to throw together a tool for sending commands to the transputer board. unfortunately the system it’s in runs windows 95 and I don’t actually really know anything about pre-.net windows pogromming

do I use MFC or what

I have visual studio 6 installed

just write C for Win32, it’s a lot like classic Mac Toolbox programming for some reason

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

hey i want to throw together a tool for sending commands to the transputer board. unfortunately the system it’s in runs windows 95 and I don’t actually really know anything about pre-.net windows pogromming

do I use MFC or what

I have visual studio 6 installed

just use the win32 api directly if you are using c

or use visual basic. it was basically made to quickly hammer out gui-based tools.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The_Franz posted:

or use visual basic. it was basically made to quickly hammer out gui-based tools.

but now you have a visual basic program to maintain

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
go maximum mid-1990s and use Harlequin Dylan for Windows

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

but now you have a visual basic program to maintain

I mean you're writing software for windows 95 so I guess you're past the point of worrying about things like that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
use your visual basic ui to track people's ip addresses

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chalks posted:

I mean you're writing software for windows 95 so I guess you're past the point of worrying about things like that.

I missed that part completely

also, welp

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
delphi is the answer. all the good parts of vb but with a not entirely terrible language behind it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

eschaton posted:

just write C for Win32, it’s a lot like classic Mac Toolbox programming for some reason

odd

also similar to GEM

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

truly outrageous

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

eschaton posted:

truly truly truly outrageous

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i need a java library that does parsing of html, it doesnt have to be perfect, i just want to set up a proxy webserver and use the library to replace some strings without compltely breaking the html tags.

i own a domain that is a parody of a very popular nazi discussion board and i'm going to have some fun with it.

any suggestions

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Blinkz0rz posted:

thats why our message bus passes pointers to files in s3. any performance loss (and there's not a lot) is offset by a) being able to sort of replay messages and b) diagnose failed payloads

this is your brain on message bus? is there a reason you can’t do service discovery?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i need a java library that does parsing of html, it doesnt have to be perfect, i just want to set up a proxy webserver and use the library to replace some strings without compltely breaking the html tags.

i own a domain that is a parody of a very popular nazi discussion board and i'm going to have some fun with it.

any suggestions

must it be java? I think pythons beautifulsoup does what you want, at least the scraping bit, the regex i'm more iffy on

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i'd rather not work with a plang and have to set up uwsgi or anything like that

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
jsoup looks ok???

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I used jsoup in the distant past. in c# I would use html agility pack.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
tef/thread, is FoundationDB legit? It sounds pretty good as a CP system, with the "sane default" of no transactions >5 seconds long

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I don't want any j in my soup

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i used jsoup for an Android app a while back and it worked great for my needs

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

prisoner of waffles posted:

tef/thread, is FoundationDB legit? It sounds pretty good as a CP system, with the "sane default" of no transactions >5 seconds long

ya im curious too, it makes a lot of promises that sound like bs but i don’t know enough to know

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I think my favorite part of Win32 so far is all the deprecated fields left for Windows 3.x compatibility

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ok I have no loving clue what mediatr does which either means I shouldn't touch it or I should definitely touch it.

also I got asked to provide input into an industry group on establishing a data format for some stuff because I've basically architects our internal one and they asked for submission as "text or csv if possible" :rip: my tightly defined xml schema based on a concrete database model its gonna end up being a heap of poo poo I can tell

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

redleader posted:

tef posts make me feel like a huge fuckin idiot

well hey i feel like cassandra over here and i mean the greek myth not the database

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

prisoner of waffles posted:

it was legit enough to be bought, worked on sqlite's b-trees instead of writing their own, and a focus on composable behaviour through layering things atop k-v storage

i haven't used it, but honestly i'd trust it more than cassandra, maybe as much a i'd trust dynamodb, if maybe a bit less, but it will probably do what you want

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

any suggestions

is https://github.com/rath/libxml2-java an option? well, any bindings to libxml2? i mean, it does the job

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

tef posted:

is https://github.com/rath/libxml2-java an option? well, any bindings to libxml2? i mean, it does the job

might work maybe, but im going to be working with parsing html written by racists so im going to assume it's not going to have closed tags etc

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Osmosisch posted:

Extremely same. Down to using both event sourcing and a queue (separately).

welcome to every code base ever, because no-one knows that building large scale systems involves doing the opposite of what works in the small

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Using a proper XML library for HTML is like trying to pick up hookers in a go-kart: it's probably not going to work and you look foolish doing it.

Go with jsoup.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
if you add a component in a system to prevent X happening it will become the number one cause of X in your system

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Peeny Cheez posted:

Using a proper XML library for HTML is like trying to pick up hookers in a go-kart: it's probably not going to work and you look foolish doing it.

Go with jsoup.

ty. seems to be the consensus. going to make some skinheads realmad with this project.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i don't mean this broadly but in a 'the errors still happen, the thing that should be put in place is working out responsibilties'

there is a problem in that people will see a problem "X is slow" and so make X fast to compensate, but the other parts of the system relied on X being slow, or that the fix to make X faster will make all X's slower overall

for example

traffic jams exist, so people build wider roads, and now the traffic is slower and even more jammed

the trick to solving traffic jams is to get less people to drive on the road, or to slow down the oncoming traffic as not to meet the wave of stop-start traffic ahead

another example

trains

people think that making trains longer will help with over crowding, but in reality it makes everything worse: longer trains mean longer embark/disembark times

what you want is to have more frequent smaller trains

meanwhile with queues, well, persistent queues or logs of event streams

people put things in a queue so that they don't have to handle errors, or wait for the other service to be online. the queue backfills, worker pool gets increased, the other service gets DoS'd out of existence. queues do not make for a robust scalable system because you need to have a linear number of operators tuning the system

if your machine fails under a load of say '1000 requests per minute', you can put a queue on it so that bursty inputs don't break the system, but the problem is that now your failure curve turns into a hockey stick: the bad case was still there, and you made all the warning signs go away

the thing is, your system will always have a breaking point, in the same way that making drugs illegal just made them stronger and more dangerous, 'hiding errors' will just make the errors more dangerous and explosive

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

ok I have no loving clue what mediatr does which either means I shouldn't touch it or I should definitely touch it.

well, and this may be a not great explanation and will definitely be web-biased but here's why i like it (which will hopefully be more useful than a glib 'it passes messages to message handlers'):

- it minimizes the number of dependencies your controllers have to take. instead of data access classes, loggers, whatever, your controller can just take a mediator and then send messages to it when it wants something.

- related to that, it means that you can seamlessly (from your controllers' perspective) back a feature with whatever you want because it's all hidden away in the handler. the controller just says "i want all the things" but it doesn't know/care whether they're in a db, flat files, wherever.

- it also means you don't end up coming back and cramming more stuff into your controller methods every time someone asks for something new to happen whenever you do X ("we want an email when..." is a great example). you just add a new handler for the message and do it there.

- this is opinion-y, but i think it makes testing easier. controllers get way simpler (you just mock a single dependency), handlers tend to be more integration test than unit test friendly but... i think that's fine? there's also no reason you can't unit test them, you just tend to have to mock more which decreases the value imo.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

going to make some skinheads realmad with this project.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Peeny Cheez posted:

Go with jsoup.

welcome to HTML, where everything's made up and the tags don't matter

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
<p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br><p><br>

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Can someone explain what is meant by "composability"? It's a term that is used itt all the time but I've never encountered it elsewhere.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

compostability more like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Ploft-shell crab posted:

this is your brain on message bus? is there a reason you can’t do service discovery?

it's a ~8 year old data ingestion pipeline and i have 0 control (or interest in control) over refactoring how services talk to each other