Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

LOL Intel took down the Mac version of Intel Power Gadget..

https://hothardware.com/news/intel-power-gadget-utility-mac-macbook-pro-throttling

I can see Phil Schiller grabbing Robert Swan by the collar while snarling 'DO SOMETHING' Lex Luther style and this was all Intel can do for now...

It's like Apple decided 'let's throw a bone to the rMBP peeps by giving them a desktop processor in a mobile casement' without bothering to check if their three year old design would hold up under the thermal strain..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I tried to download something and watch a video at the same time. I guess it's unfair of me to expect this new "pro" machine to be able to handle such a high end task.

Is this a joke post?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

~Coxy posted:

Is this a joke post?

Nope. This thing eats poo poo constantly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

LOL Intel took down the Mac version of Intel Power Gadget..

https://hothardware.com/news/intel-power-gadget-utility-mac-macbook-pro-throttling

I can see Phil Schiller grabbing Robert Swan by the collar while snarling 'DO SOMETHING' Lex Luther style and this was all Intel can do for now...

It's like Apple decided 'let's throw a bone to the rMBP peeps by giving them a desktop processor in a mobile casement' without bothering to check if their three year old design would hold up under the thermal strain..

To be fair it was only up to date for 7th gen chips. Maybe a firmware update and some new OS X update will improve things?

Also someone re-pasted their i9 and it didn’t throttle during benchmarks that max out the CPU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

Also someone re-pasted their i9 and it didn’t throttle during benchmarks that max out the CPU

TBF Apple has been infamous for cheaping out on thermal paste for years at this point.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Time to order some Coolaboratory Liquid Metal Pro or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut?

I thought Apple solved the issue of sloppy thermal paste but here we are..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Re-pasting, the antithesis of Apple culture.

eames
May 9, 2009

Repasting the new MBPs means you have to take out the entire logic board because the chips are facing the keyboard now.

If you are going to use something high end like TG Kryonaut then you get to do that process every year because it is only rated up to 80C and dries out very quickly at higher temperatures.

edit:

Notebookcheck.net has proof that lowering the long and short term TDP limits yields steadier frequencies and significantly better performance. That fix in combination with a slight tweak to the fan curve should eventually fix the 2018 MBP performance issues, though it'll still leave the question of why the devices were released in this state.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-2018-Much-more-performance-with-a-few-clicks.317552.0.html

eames fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 22, 2018

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That makes me think it had to be some eleventh hour change that threw everything off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

3.5.3 is up now

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I see a cottage industry popping up re-pasting MBPs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Someone should bindiff 3.5.3 versus 3.5.0.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Has anyone tested CPU temps when an egpu is connected yet?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 23, 2018

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

BobHoward posted:

Jesus christ you are dumb please stop posting.

External GPU is something a few nerds have boners about, but probably has almost no mainstream appeal. Literally every one of your posts has been predicated on the nerd fallacy of assuming that what you, a nerd, wants is OBVIOUSLY what everyone wants.

I guess you were wrong?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
A nerd never forgets.

eames
May 9, 2009

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ring-f.2128936/

Good analysis of the throttling issue. Turbo power limits with the i9 are set to 125W (PL2/short) and 100W (PL1/long)... in a thin MBP on a 87W power adapter. The throttling is requested by the VRM circuit or some other protection mechanism, not the CPU as it should be.
The CPU thinks it is fine running at 4 GHz+ but the VRM emergency throttling takes it to 800 MHz because it is overloading/overheating and that results in this behaviour.

I take back what I said - this doesn’t look like Intels fault anymore.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Are the 13 inch MBP's having the same problem with throttling? Or is it just the 6 core ones in the 15?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So, so glad I didn’t give into temptation. I’d be super pissed if I had to compromise SIP to install a KEXT to get the performance I was promised. (And invalidating my warranty doing so)

eames
May 9, 2009

track day bro! posted:

Are the 13 inch MBP's having the same problem with throttling? Or is it just the 6 core ones in the 15?

They have similar problems but the effect isn’t nearly as bad because the CPU only has four cores and lower frequencies. It also doesn’t have a dGPU that eats into the power budget.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

eames posted:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ring-f.2128936/

Good analysis of the throttling issue. Turbo power limits with the i9 are set to 125W (PL2/short) and 100W (PL1/long)... in a thin MBP on a 87W power adapter. The throttling is requested by the VRM circuit or some other protection mechanism, not the CPU as it should be.
The CPU thinks it is fine running at 4 GHz+ but the VRM emergency throttling takes it to 800 MHz because it is overloading/overheating and that results in this behaviour.

I take back what I said - this doesn’t look like Intels fault anymore.

:aaaaa: Jesus

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

eames posted:

They have similar problems but the effect isn’t nearly as bad because the CPU only has four cores and lower frequencies. It also doesn’t have a dGPU that eats into the power budget.

Got a link?

eames
May 9, 2009

KingEup posted:

Got a link?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-2018-Touch-Bar-i5-Laptop-Review.316648.0.html

as you can see from their screenshot the frequencies aren't stable but they don't go below base clock.

vvv I overheard a discussion about this when I brought my old MBP to the AASP. Apparently if you break your power button on a new 2018 your data is lost. The button is the touchID sensor which is paired to the T2 chip which also functions as the SSD controller. All of these components - including the button - are soldered to the logic board and Apple doesn't do component repairs.

eames fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 23, 2018

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/22/2018-macbook-pro-lacks-data-recovery-port/

:shepicide:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Glad I formatted a Time Machine drive last night. :unsmith:

I'd be feeling some buyer's remorse around now if I'd bought this thing.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Huge lol if true

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Back yo poo poo up

I wouldn't trust being able to get the data off any of those Apple devices with soldered-on flash

stevewm
May 10, 2005

I look forward to the coming Rossman video...

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I wondered over to the egpu forums and things are not lookin good:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2018-13-qc-macbook-pro-gtx-1080ti32gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro-macos10-13-6-theitsage/#post-40295

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How much will I hate myself if I buy a refurb 2-core Mini to do light-to-medium iOS development? Can I remote all the necessary stuff over the network or does the sim need local graphics acceleration or whatever?

Why are refurb minis so expensive?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

How much will I hate myself if I buy a refurb 2-core Mini to do light-to-medium iOS development? Can I remote all the necessary stuff over the network or does the sim need local graphics acceleration or whatever?

Why are refurb minis so expensive?

If you have a IOMMU compatible motherboard, it's actually not that bad to just buy a cheap second video card and use GPU pass-through to get macos running.

It took me an afternoon to do so, but so far I have had 0 issues with it. I even do iOS development and update it like normal.

If you don't want to do that, then get a 4 core mac mini for cheaper and throw an SSD in it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Okay … this is just getting worse and worse.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ratbert90 posted:

If you have a IOMMU compatible motherboard, it's actually not that bad to just buy a cheap second video card and use GPU pass-through to get macos running.

It took me an afternoon to do so, but so far I have had 0 issues with it. I even do iOS development and update it like normal.

If you don't want to do that, then get a 4 core mac mini for cheaper and throw an SSD in it.

Interesting — macOS runs in a VM in that context? I could look into that. Do you have a link to a guide or something?

Thanks!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Interesting macOS runs in a VM in that context? I could look into that. Do you have a link to a guide or something?

Thanks!

It sure does. Specifically, with a KVM, I have not tried with hypervisor.
I also have a pretty beefy workstation as well, so I give MacOS 16GB of ram and I pass through an RX560.

Geekbench on the VM:

Single-core: 4233
Multi-Core: 18202

If I dedicated a few cores I probably could go higher, but it's solid for now.

This is the guide I used: https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM/

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 23, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ratbert90 posted:

It sure does. Specifically, with a KVM, I have not tried with hypervisor.
I also have a pretty beefy workstation as well, so I give MacOS 16GB of ram and I pass through an RX560.

Geekbench on the VM:

Single-core: 4233
Multi-Core: 18202

If I dedicated a few cores I probably could go higher, but it's solid for now.

This is the guide I used: https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM/

Very cool. I wonder if I can get that running under Windows, or if I have some dual booting in my future.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Very cool. I wonder if I can get that running under Windows, or if I have some dual booting in my future.

I ended up just making a "macos.sh" script that launches qemu when I get into Fedora. :v:

I can pass -n to it to prevent gpu passthrough during updates, as the UEFI has some extra options usually added to it that I need to select.

Other than that, it works 100% like a Mac. I have gone from 10.12 -> 10.13 and all of the updates without doing anything special, and even iMessages/iCloud work.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 23, 2018

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

quote:

Given the reliance on time machine, Apple should consider selling a router that allows you to do wireless backups. How convenient would that be!
:drat:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
As it turns out the new MPB i9 throttles not because of CPU temperatures but because of overheating VRMs. Yikes!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The Milkman posted:

Huge lol if true

Very true since you need to go through the T2 to get any access to the SSDs. The block diagram shows no other possible paths, it's one straight line from the T2 to the SSD NANDs. Lou Rossmann confirms this, see below.

redeyes posted:

As it turns out the new MPB i9 throttles not because of CPU temperatures but because of overheating VRMs. Yikes!

It's kind of telling that a single macrumors forums user (he also posted this on reddit, see below) was able to pinpoint this issue fairly quickly, and that it never would have been necessary if Apple had better hardware governance / guidance. It's the sort of thing that HAS to have had come up at some meeting, and if Jobs were still alive he'd have said 'All of you idiots stop what you're doing and listen to this.' Instead, since nobody's nitpicking, this poo poo gets through the cracks.

Oh yeah, what does Mac Repair guru Lou Rossmann have to say about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjor24HO2HA

He also confirms that Apple yanked the recovery port that would have let you recover data if the SSD NANDs were intact.

BTW, here's the article that he's referring to:

https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/91256u/optimal_cpu_tuning_settings_for_i9_mbp_to_stop/

This poo poo does NOT give me any confidence for the supposed 2019 Mac Pros they're supposedly working so so hard on.

If we go how they've been treating the Mac desktop laptop users, the new Mac Pros will likely look like scaled down cheese graters with only 2 PCIe 3.0 slots and they'll call it a day.

Once again Apple claims to hit them out of the park, but in reality, are hitting soft dribblers back to the pitcher.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 23, 2018

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I just don't see apple removing the ability to recover files, they must of moved that feature to a usb-c port, but who know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
doubtful because the whole idea of the recovery port is to be able to directly address the nand chips regardless of usb or whatever else not working on the logic board