Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Liberty Mutual was perfectly fine with their previous ad campaign, but good god is that a bad jingle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

I just saw this ad for Progressive that reminds me soooo creepily of the Walmart Manager guy making the employees sing a song to the tune of Queen’s “we will rock you.” The ad is literally a guy on a megaphone telling this group of 20 people unenthusiastically singing some song and he’s like YOU GOTTA SING IT LOUDER and then they do and are like robots singing a dumb jingle, and the guy LITERALLY PUTS PRAYER HANDS IN FRONT OF HIS FACE AND KNEELS DOWN WHEN THEY DO.

Yes I am getting $.50 more an hour than my employees but BOY HOWDY am I excited about my job and care cause I’m gonna get promoted!!!! (No I’m not but I’m gonna delude myself that I am)

(Sorry this should also be tied into the retail workers thread)

That Progressive ad is terrifying, the dude is loving orgasmic. Please kill and bury the Jamie character immediately, tia.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I can’t believe I remember the slogan (? The thing they repeat in every commercial) from a slim Jim ad from the 90s that I obviously saw a poo poo ton of times cause I used to watch a ton of TV instead of doing homework or whatever, and most likely even more during summer.

loving advertising.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McSpanky posted:

That Progressive ad is terrifying, the dude is loving orgasmic. Please kill and bury the Jamie character immediately, tia.

Yeah, Jamie sucks, Flo is better by whatever a country mile is

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Thin Privilege posted:

I can’t believe I remember the slogan (? The thing they repeat in every commercial) from a slim Jim ad from the 90s that I obviously saw a poo poo ton of times cause I used to watch a ton of TV instead of doing homework or whatever, and most likely even more during summer.

loving advertising.

randy savage was a great pitchman

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

loving advertising.

“I cannot live another day without air conditioning”

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

“I cannot live another day without air conditioning”

You'll call now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I'll call now

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

I remember an embarrassing number of ads that used to air on Nickelodeon when I was a kid, especially if they were ads for things I didn't have.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've seen a similar Progressive ad, but with Heaven Is A Place on Earth in place of Queen. What annoys me is not so much Jamie (though I'm getting sick of "quirky" characters like him everywhere) but the fact that the ad doesn't say anything. It's thirty seconds of a choir singing song and Jamie interrupting them, but it doesn't say jack poo poo about Progressive's insurance or why we should buy it.

There's a lot of that kind of advertising these days, which has a lot of memes and irony, but very little actual advertising, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've seen a similar Progressive ad, but with Heaven Is A Place on Earth in place of Queen. What annoys me is not so much Jamie (though I'm getting sick of "quirky" characters like him everywhere) but the fact that the ad doesn't say anything. It's thirty seconds of a choir singing song and Jamie interrupting them, but it doesn't say jack poo poo about Progressive's insurance or why we should buy it.

There's a lot of that kind of advertising these days, which has a lot of memes and irony, but very little actual advertising, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine.

That's because the brand is the most valuable and important thing, the actual product is ancillary at best. Like what's really the difference between Progressive and All State, or between Farmers and Liberty, other than their name and brand presence?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Sears air conditioning ad is quite possibly the worst ad ever devised in the history of television.

"I'll call now!"

Call a garbage truck, you human trash.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Gonz posted:

The Sears air conditioning ad is quite possibly the worst ad ever devised in the history of television.

"I'll call now!"

Call a garbage truck, you human trash.

You remember it, don't you? Seems like a pretty good ad in that case.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SpacePig posted:

It says less about the ads and more about the fact they played it constantly for twenty goddamn years.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

SpacePig posted:

I remember the Challenger disaster, too.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

'nother scorcher out there!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

WampaLord posted:

'nother scorcher out there!

Just like yesterday!

I also had the my buddy jingle stuck in my head.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Gonz posted:

I remember the Challenger disaster, too.

And I bet you remember the brand of shuttle, don't you?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SpacePig posted:

I remember an embarrassing number of ads that used to air on Nickelodeon when I was a kid, especially if they were ads for things I didn't have.

I remember that every mail order product ad always had the same phone number to order: 1-800-424-4400

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gynocentric Regime posted:

That's because the brand is the most valuable and important thing, the actual product is ancillary at best. Like what's really the difference between Progressive and All State, or between Farmers and Liberty, other than their name and brand presence?

Progressive lets you compare your price with other companies, even if they're not the lowest one!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

SpacePig posted:

And I bet you remember the brand of shuttle, don't you?

How could I forget the Bojangles' Challenger Shuttle?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

That goddamned Sears commercial is stuck in my memory forever thanks to Nickelodeon growing up. The only other ad that's had legs like it is the Muzzy commercial. I'll always know how to say I'm a little girl in French.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vanderdeath posted:

That goddamned Sears commercial is stuck in my memory forever thanks to Nickelodeon growing up. The only other ad that's had legs like it is the Muzzy commercial. I'll always know how to say I'm a little girl in French.

Hooked on phonics worked for me, call 1-800-ABCDEF...G!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What about the other staple of Nickelodeon, Zoobook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8EvnM2XUTI

And Lots and Lots of Trains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_I0EGhcB4

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

"He had a report due on space, and then he got the new Encycloped..."" :smug: I think I made that abundantly clear. :smug: "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbQFXWlVpIU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
No, these children aren't French, they're American.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

So the other night I saw a commercial for Experian's identity theft protection service. How exactly can you promote yourself as an expert in identity protection when you hosed up, got hacked, and exposed a couple hundred million Americans' data?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The commercial burnt into my head is the hook from the Blockbuster commercial. "Wow what a difference . .. Blockbuster Video." Even as a kid I was ironically just singing the hook over and over and over again to annoy people, but like most things done ironically there always is a price, and this time it's remember that hook and it floating back into my head, whenever, forever.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I’ve only seen it once, but that XFinity ad with ‘The Memesteins’.

It’s like a new ‘Whazzaaaaaaaaaaap’ ad, except they’re saying ‘Yaaaaaaaaas!’

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 26, 2018

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

There's a new Progressive commercial and it's time to blast Flo and Jamie into the loving sun.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
My local ISP/Cable provider, Cox Communications, has been promoting their new high-speed service by showing capabilities and products that don't and can't possibly exist. It's a very strange strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uhFyrmBKtg

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SolarFire2 posted:

My local ISP/Cable provider, Cox Communications, has been promoting their new high-speed service by showing capabilities and products that don't and can't possibly exist. It's a very strange strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uhFyrmBKtg

Ah yes, Cox "it's not our fault your cable is out" Communications, the cable company that convinced me not only to use an antenna, but also switch to AT&T DSL.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Selachian posted:

So the other night I saw a commercial for Experian's identity theft protection service. How exactly can you promote yourself as an expert in identity protection when you hosed up, got hacked, and exposed a couple hundred million Americans' data?

Same reason people still use Wells Fargo, Comcast, Citibank, Goldman Sachs, every phone company ever, etc.

A combination of stupidity and lack of real options.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 27, 2018

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

To be fair, Comcast usually fails more in the customer service part than actual having the TV work.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Faustian Bargain posted:

There's a new Progressive commercial and it's time to blast Flo and Jamie into the loving sun.

I have to admit I liked the one where Jamie was a cartoon giant with a folksy theme song.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just saw that Big Hurt supplement commercial (again) and spotted the cameraman isn’t even recording his phony press conference.

Technically it could be feeding out to another device so wouldn’t need to be recording, but let me have this dammit

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just saw that Big Hurt supplement commercial (again) and spotted the cameraman isn’t even recording his phony press conference.

Technically it could be feeding out to another device so wouldn’t need to be recording, but let me have this dammit

Less money for editing, more money for the snake oil salesmen! :homebrew:

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

FELD1 posted:

I have to admit I liked the one where Jamie was a cartoon giant with a folksy theme song.
I'll give you that it's better than Jamie explaining the car company commercial parody-ish garbage they have on now.

AN UNEXPECTED ENDING :fuckoff:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

EL BROMANCE posted:

They did a roast of Bruce Willis?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
It just aired last Saturday night, yeah.