Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've already watched and liked a bunch of her videos, it's just that I usually skip rants about movies I don't care about unless I think there's good comedy potential (see Ready Player One).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Angel doesn't have a musical spectacular :colbert:.

Though it does have the puppet episode... Hmmm... :hmmyes:

The musical episode is extremely good, though it's a shame that the rest of season 6 didn't really live up to the previous 3 outside of that.

I'm pretty sure I recall the show was supposed to end at season 5, which probably would have been for the better, even though I overall liked the following 2 seasons. Both shows had stellar fifth seasons. There is little else on Angel that competes with Smile Time and The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Would a caveman or an astronaut win in a fight tho?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I've already watched and liked a bunch of her videos, it's just that I usually skip rants about movies I don't care about unless I think there's good comedy potential (see Ready Player One).

Every video Jenny Nicholson makes has good comedy potential because she is just a really funny person. And edits well, so that things don't drag.

Also I would love to see Hollywood hire her as an actual script doctor because all her story ideas would be a blast to watch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Senerio posted:

depends, are we allowed to starve and freeze the caveman first?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Jenny very quickly became one of my favorites when I discovered her about a year ago.

She just has a really natural charisma and as has been said is genuinely funny.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

Was Agents of Shield any good? For no reason I can think of, I have not given any marvel tv shows a watch.

For the longest time, no, but- and I poo poo you not- 20 episodes into the first season it finally hit its stride and kept getting better and better. Sure, they're Agents of Shield, so no Avengers show up but they do bring in people who wouldn't show up the movies (maybe). Like Absorbing Man and Mr. Hyde. So that's something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sanguinia posted:

I would argue that CoD 4, aka MW1 was the outlier to all the other ones, in that it did have at least some degree of said commentary.

I feel like maybe there was a glimmer in MW3 as well? But I honestly don't remember it that much so probably not.

that was MW2. 3 was the big action movie finally where you had giant super war with duginist russia.

lol. that and i remember her coming to his defense after the whole avengers 2 joke dumbassery.

FoldableHuman posted:

While it may seem like "woke game journalist contrarianism" CoD is, in fact, brown people shooters jingoistic hoorah garbage and 99% of the "commentary" on violence that people read into the text is simply the byproduct of sincere jingoistic garbage being too absurd to be believed.

To put it another way: Ghosts is not some outlier.

Marketing CoD: "everyone can be a hero with a gun!"

Actual CoD: "are you a HARD enough to make the HARD decisions that HARD men need to make to be a hero with a gun?"

ehh, ghosts and BO2 are the only really, really egregious ones. outside MW1 you never even in the middle east. most of the baddies in the series are either some variety of fascists(nazis, space nazis,etc), Russians of some sort or mercenaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvN51r1o1Nc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kajjU8AbmvY

this dude does actual good critical videos on games and he did 2 videos on all the cod campaigns. they are long but they are good deep poo poo. personaly to me. COD campaigns are my yearly fun indulgence guilty pleasure and you can get some interesting poo poo when you pull story and poo poo apart enough.

Ghostlight posted:

Black Ops II, 2 Cold Wars 2 Many.

yeah pretty much. somehow it wasn't as up its own rear end BO3

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I couldn't tell which parts of Jenny's video about Infinite War were supposed to be sarcastic or not
and I'm okay with that

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh, ghosts and BO2 are the only really, really egregious ones. outside MW1 you never even in the middle east. most of the baddies in the series are either some variety of fascists(nazis, space nazis,etc), Russians of some sort or mercenaries.

Modern Warfare 1 has fake-Iraq nuking itself because "them a-rabs are so drat crazy!" The entire subtextual criticism of the Iraq war in the Modern Warfare series boils down to America under-estimating just how inhuman and savage the Middle East is, which, you know, isn't exactly stellar. Oh, and then it tries to dodge the accusations of racism by saying "no, see, it's fine, because they were puppets of white people all along! Now go shoot up a Brazilian favela."

"The Evil Browns Are Actually Led By An Evil White" is a recurring trope in the series, too.

World at War opens with a heaping dose of Orientalism, Black Ops 1 ends with an invasion of Cuba and a literal flag waving moment as fighter jets scream past, and, I mean, Ghosts got greenlit in the first place.

I love Noah's videos, but CoD is something we disagree on.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

For the longest time, no, but- and I poo poo you not- 20 episodes into the first season it finally hit its stride and kept getting better and better. Sure, they're Agents of Shield, so no Avengers show up but they do bring in people who wouldn't show up the movies (maybe). Like Absorbing Man and Mr. Hyde. So that's something.

Yeah AOS is genuinely good from the post-Captain America events onwards and is generally an upward trend from season to season.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It will never happen, but I really want somebody to do a He-Man remake that seems at first to aesthetically be exactly what all the manchildren want, until the first episode lands and it turns out to have just leaned right the gently caress into the homoeroticism and camp aspects to Jon Waters-esque levels.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Noah makes very engaging videos, but I find his analysis tends to be very lacking when it comes to narrative first person shooters. There's a bit in his video on Bioshock Infinite's DLC where he discusses the Daisy Fitzroy retcon and he basically says 'I don't really get why they did that' then just moves on. Yeah sure, it's a complete mystery why they'd want to undo the most heavily criticised plot point in the base game.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MW2 was the closest I've felt to playing a Michael Bay movie, and it kinda rules. There's even a big set piece located in a prison done up like The Rock.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It will never happen, but I really want somebody to do a He-Man remake that seems at first to aesthetically be exactly what all the manchildren want, until the first episode lands and it turns out to have just leaned right the gently caress into the homoeroticism and camp aspects to Jon Waters-esque levels.

I’d watch that.

Mr Phillby posted:

Noah makes very engaging videos, but I find his analysis tends to be very lacking when it comes to narrative first person shooters. There's a bit in his video on Bioshock Infinite's DLC where he discusses the Daisy Fitzroy retcon and he basically says 'I don't really get why they did that' then just moves on. Yeah sure, it's a complete mystery why they'd want to undo the most heavily criticised plot point in the base game.

To be fair, that game are already a narrative poo poo show without going into blatant rear end pulls to cover asses.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

MW2 was the closest I've felt to playing a Michael Bay movie, and it kinda rules. There's even a big set piece located in a prison done up like The Rock.

Yeah, 3 felt like the bigger bay piece to me. Honestly the only cod I genuinely all around love is infinite warfare. Because it’s a cool low-fi sci-fi adventure fighting the society from starship troopers. It has genuinely likable characters too and is co-written and voice acted by bj blaskowitz.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah AOS is genuinely good from the post-Captain America events onwards and is generally an upward trend from season to season.

I don't watch it so it might be a bad comparison but a way to describe it I've seen is that it's the inverse Walking Dead. It didn't have a bombastic incredible first episode to draw in people by the millions and establish good will so people will still watch it even as the later seasons start to drag on and get repetitive but instead it just starts off pretty much average and gets better and better.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Six months since I started making videos and my most popular by a factor of 20 is the one I churned out in an afternoon :toot:

Anyway, I made a video on animation - specifically, animation in relation to the idea of "Flow" - or when a task becomes meditative. It was a lot of fun to make, and I think because of the subject matter it's probably my most visually rich effort to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A-PXJpWqKw

Please lemme know watcha think, any advice/etc is much obliged.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

His stance on infinite as a whole was weirdly ball-gargling so it made sense to that he dodged that

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

His stance on infinite as a whole was weirdly ball-gargling so it made sense to that he dodged that

Eh, he is allowed to like it. There are some cool ideas and poo poo there. From all of my playing and reading, a lot of the games various issues seem to come from it being like 5 iteration and concepts of a game clumsily tied together to try to make whole narrative. They talk about how they remade the game like 4 or 5 times and it shows. It doesn’t help that other games do the various story beats and themes better both before and after it came out. at least 1 and 2/athena dlc are great.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 24, 2018

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope, direct continuation. Even tried to get the original actress for the lead role, iirc.

Sort of? As far as I remember, it was a direct continuation of Whedon's original screenplay for the movie, not the movie as released. Though I can't remember offhand what was actually different between the two.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My point was less that CoD isn't problematic, because boy is it ever, but more that I feel like there was an undercurrent around the time of the MW trilogy that boiled its criticism down to "this populist garbage AAA game wants you to shoot brown people, isn't that hosed up? :smug:" and didn't engage with the games on any deeper level than that. Maybe that's just projection, because that's certainly how I felt at the time. But I feel like you don't get MW1's nuke death scene or the weird downer ending, even right next to stuff like the uncomfortable AC-130 mission, without someone in the loop thinking about a little more than "cool guns shoot bad guys boom boom". Something something, Hbomb's Loss video.

(Also I think "brown people shooter" is such a crusty phrase nowadays.)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 24, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

John Murdoch posted:

My point was less that CoD isn't problematic, because boy is it ever, but more that I feel like there was an undercurrent around the time of the MW trilogy that boiled its criticism down to "this populist garbage AAA game wants you to shoot brown people, isn't that hosed up? :smug:" and didn't engage with the games on any deeper level than that.

Should they? Maybe I spent too much time reading CineD interpretations of things but I'm increasingly tired of the idea that a work can throw around this garbage, loaded imagery but it's ok because from a certain point of view it can be read of as 'satirical', even though the majority of people consuming the work either won't pick on that or won't care.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

khwarezm posted:

Should they? Maybe I spent too much time reading CineD interpretations of things but I'm increasingly tired of the idea that a work can throw around this garbage, loaded imagery but it's ok because from a certain point of view it can be read of as 'satirical', even though the majority of people consuming the work either won't pick on that or won't care.

This is the star wars prequel defence spreading like a virus.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Senerio posted:

Is the caveman flying a fighter jet?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah pretty much. somehow it wasn't as up its own rear end BO3
Black Ops III, The Ghost of Future Past is my favourite campaign because it's finally disappeared so far up its own rear end you can start to see the light again.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mokinokaro posted:

Jenny very quickly became one of my favorites when I discovered her about a year ago.

She just has a really natural charisma and as has been said is genuinely funny.

Absolutely this. I've posted about her here before but once someone linked me to her The Worst Reality Show of All Time video and spent the next day just watching everything she'd ever done. I don't actually watch movies anymore but people like her, Lindsay, and Dan make really good videos even though I'm not really invested in the subject matter.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

khwarezm posted:

It's not ok at all, but after a certain point "CoD is a game about murdering brown people" starts straying worryingly close to "Mass Effect is a game about hardcore sex". The games are such a weird mishmash of ideas, lifted plot points and imagery, and politics - all in part thanks to not even being made by one single developer with a consistent vision even before addressing potential military and publisher influences - that I just think there's more interesting discussions to be had by delving into that mess rather than writing it all off as racist jingoistic trash and calling it a day.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Black Ops III, The Ghost of Future Past is my favourite campaign because it's finally disappeared so far up its own rear end you can start to see the light again.

yeahs so bad it sorta wraps around again into almost good if had actualy explained poo poo better ok basically most of the missions are just weird distorted memories of christopher meloni character, because the dumb nerual hivemind thing became sentient and is trying to figure out why its born and is basically using the characters as puppets to figure out why it exists because it took a poem/mantra that some CIA shrink used to make the torture victims feel better because they were being used as processing power to create the first neural network prototype and their collective death scream blew up singapore. also your character replaces him in his memories and the dude he was hunting and his squad is replaced meloni and his squad. none of this you know if you play the game and don't read the little briefing things that form the mission title. its some interesting concepts but its so poorly shown that you will never understand it.

John Murdoch posted:

My point was less that CoD isn't problematic, because boy is it ever, but more that I feel like there was an undercurrent around the time of the MW trilogy that boiled its criticism down to "this populist garbage AAA game wants you to shoot brown people, isn't that hosed up? :smug:" and didn't engage with the games on any deeper level than that. Maybe that's just projection, because that's certainly how I felt at the time. But I feel like you don't get MW1's nuke death scene or the weird downer ending, even right next to stuff like the uncomfortable AC-130 mission, without someone in the loop thinking about a little more than "cool guns shoot bad guys boom boom". Something something, Hbomb's Loss video.

(Also I think "brown people shooter" is such a crusty phrase nowadays.)

pretty much. the games have plenty of issues(outside infinite warfare which is just Space UN vs Space Chuds) without the lazy smug response poo poo. yeah they have dumb stupid messaging but some of them have some interesting poo poo in them if your bored enough to look.

khwarezm posted:

ehh. you can get weird poo poo out of dumb spectacle filled trash, one of my lit theory classes was all about that. its dumb fun trash like goldfish crackers. i mean look at lindsey ellis videos on the bay transformers movies. they have some stupid messages but you can pull some interesting out of it too.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 24, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

"Mass Effect is a game about hardcore sex".

gently caress, i remeber those reports. those fox clowns would have a loving aneurysm if they saw andromeda or witcher.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'm not saying you can't pull out some interesting interpretations for your Call of Dutys or whatever, the trouble is that in my view this often feels kind of like an inconsequential game for academics that ignores the overall cultural impact of something like CoD and how it get's interpreted by society as a whole, and what values it might shore up as a result, which unfortunately ends up hewing pretty close to the 'Brown people murder simulator' in my experience.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

khwarezm posted:

I'm not saying you can't pull out some interesting interpretations for your Call of Dutys or whatever, the trouble is that in my view this often feels kind of like an inconsequential game for academics that ignores the overall cultural impact of something like CoD and how it get's interpreted by society as a whole, and what values it might shore up as a result, which unfortunately ends up hewing pretty close to the 'Brown people murder simulator' in my experience.

sure but mainstream popculture is worth looking and digging through. also which ones have you played? not being a dick, just curious.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure but mainstream popculture is worth looking and digging through. also which ones have you played? not being a dick, just curious.

MW2, BLOPs 1 and a bit of Ghosts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

well BO2 is the olie north one.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hey, Stronghold are good games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

khwarezm posted:

MW2, BLOPs 1 and a bit of Ghosts.

ghosts is poo poo, MW2 is mostly Aleksandr Dugin Russians and dickhead chud general gently caress the world for their own petty revenge. and Blops 1 is "everyone is a awful piece of poo poo" the game. Id play Infinite Warfare, because outside the core controls, its barely a cod game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Hey, Stronghold are good games.

is it like an RTS? it looks interesting maybe.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

khwarezm posted:

I get where you're coming from, but ideally serious "academic" criticism like you're describing wouldn't completely and totally ignore stuff like CoD's broad impact but instead synthesize it into its arguments.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is it like an RTS? it looks interesting maybe.

Yeah they're very Age of Empires-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah they're very Age of Empires-y.

cool, i may pick it up sometime.