Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
newjob asked what kind of laptop i want, which is cool, i've never had a choice before.

they also asked what kind of noise canceling headphones i want which i assume is in direct response to an offhand comment i made in the interview about not liking open plan offices and uuuhhhh first off, nice attention to detail, second off, now i need to figure out which headphones are good, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

chmods please posted:

newjob asked what kind of laptop i want, which is cool, i've never had a choice before.

they also asked what kind of noise canceling headphones i want which i assume is in direct response to an offhand comment i made in the interview about not liking open plan offices and uuuhhhh first off, nice attention to detail, second off, now i need to figure out which headphones are good, lol

Bose quiet comfort

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

chmods please posted:

now i need to figure out which headphones are good, lol
one of those special gamer ones with the shifting varicolor leds

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i didn’t get a choice, all new hires got some Jabra poo poo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sapozhnik posted:

I mean why ask this question if hr is not forcing you to
To find out if they have a totally wrong idea of what the job can offer them

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
“Dur hur i wanna paycheck” ok i’ll just take away from this that you don’t think much about your long term career development (which may or may not be relevant to the hiring decision)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Somewhat more problematically, the question offers a manager a potential lever to interest you in the job: “blockchain? Yeah we’ve been looking at that as a possible direction” (not really lol)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

A company just sent me an online psych/cognitive exam to do lol. 50 math/English questions to blitz through in 15 minutes. Should I just politely tell them to gently caress off?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

A company just sent me an online psych/cognitive exam to do lol. 50 math/English questions to blitz through in 15 minutes. Should I just politely tell them to gently caress off?

15 minutes doesn't sound like an unreasonable imposition

on the other hand i don't know if that sounds like a real well-run company if they run white collar staff through psych exams like minimum wage blockbuster staffers

"would you steal from the company when it's really easy?"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

15 minutes doesn't sound like an unreasonable imposition

on the other hand i don't know if that sounds like a real well-run company if they run white collar staff through psych exams like minimum wage blockbuster staffers

"would you steal from the company when it's really easy?"

The problem I see with it is this is a senior engineer position and I can't see what if any relevance being able to guess what 7800 / 45 is in no more than 18 seconds in a multiple choice manner has to whether I'm going to blow a real life project to hell. This nonsense means they probably screen out perfectly good engineers and let in a large portion of incompetent nerdlingers.

qhat fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 24, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah.... probably

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

qhat posted:

sounds like a wonderlic

how your 40 yard dash time

(it’s not uncommon for some large corps to screen everyone and it’s less dumb than myers briggs. not something I’d ever put any faith in but large orgs to develop quirks like this. if it’s a small shop lol run)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i’m sure i already know the answer to this, but it’s pretty weird for a place to not have health insurance benefits, right?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jony neuemonic posted:

i’m sure i already know the answer to this, but it’s pretty weird for a place to not have health insurance benefits, right?

I mean, in MKE IT it would be bizarre for a place to not offer something, even if it’s a high-D? (...ladies)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, in MKE IT it would be bizarre for a place to not offer something, even if it’s a high-D? (...ladies)

yeah i was kind of stunned when they said they didn’t offer it, i just assume it’s part of every tech job’s comp.

they also pay pretty poorly so the :redflag:s are piling up. pass on that one i guess.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
ughh I’m about to fly out to SF for an interview and my imposter syndrome is raging out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jony neuemonic posted:

Obamacare requires them to offer something even if it’s terrible and expensive unless they’re tiny

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jony neuemonic posted:

its not weird for a startup with like 10 people but they should be paying you enough to take care of it on your own.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's worth noting that jony neumonic is in Canada that has socialized health care.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

:canada:

my partner needs some dental work and i need tons of therapy tho so it’s still gonna be a dealbreaker.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
does Canada not cover dental or mental health services?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Shaggar posted:

I know they dont cover dental.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

no dental, vision, or prescription coverage. there are public mental health services but they’re agonizingly slow.

we have a good system compared to the states and a terrible one compared to almost anyone else.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Shaggar posted:

its not weird for a startup with like 10 people but they should be paying you enough to take care of it on your own.

it's actually pretty weird even for a startup with like 10 people, in the states

if you aren't literally one of the founders, there should be benefits, yeah maybe they won't have a cushy 401k match but -- giant fuckin red flag if they cant sort payroll and health and poo poo

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

it's actually pretty weird even for a startup with like 10 people, in the states

if you aren't literally one of the founders, there should be benefits, yeah maybe they won't have a cushy 401k match but -- giant fuckin red flag if they cant sort payroll and health and poo poo

Yeah even my stupid startup when it started with like 6 people had health care cause that's the only thing that makes sense. No 401K though, even 8 years later

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i had healthcare as employee #1 at a startup that laid me off later, what kind of circus isn't

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

it’s not even a startup lmao. thanks for confirming my bad feelings everyone.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
A few pages ago I mentioned a contract shop wanted me for a firmware project but they couldn't guarantee full-time hours. They also said they pay contractors about $50/hour up to $100/hour for an expert, which is not super great, I think. It's also been two weeks and they haven't gotten back, so I'm considering that lead dead-ish.

I applied to a cool sounding software job at Apple last week but heard nothing back. I should apply to more jobs.

the terrible programmers thread made me realize I need to expand my skills and horizons a little bit beyond writing drivers so I've been trying to read some algorithm books, but it's hard going.

Other than practicing and studying computer things, I've been organizing the house, working on my project car, studying Chinese, and working out to pass time. Three weeks have passed since I got back to the US and started looking for a job. I still feel pretty good, but I'd like to find a job soon.

Thanks for reading.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i did the phone screen and we just chatted a bunch and it gave me a good enough feel for "should we talk in person y/n" so mission accomplished i guess

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bloody posted:

i did the phone screen and we just chatted a bunch and it gave me a good enough feel for "should we talk in person y/n" so mission accomplished i guess

was it y or n

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I was contacted by an internal recruiter/HR rep from a local company with a pretty good reputation. They're expanding their software team and need people with the exact kind of experience I have. Did an initial phone screen today, the recruiter wants me to do a technical phone interview and then depending on how that goes come in for a full interview.

I looked at their salaries on glassdoor, the benefits and pay are lower than what I got when I started at my current job. I also love my current job. The rep did ask what it would take for me to switch jobs right now and my answer was "a higher-level position than I have now, doing the same kind of stuff I'm doing now, with a lot more pay".

Should I even bother going through with the interview? It's going to take a really awesome job and/or a huge amount of money to make me leave my current job and I have a feeling it's to end with them saying "no" to the amount I ask for.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Yes do it. They might offer you enough to switch. Even if they don't you get to ask them whatever questions you want about their business, strategy, tech, etc.

Interviewing, also, is a thing that you should practice.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

glass door salaries will tend lower because they're older info among other biases, if its vaguely in the ballpark then I wouldn't be too concerned about following up

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

qhat posted:

Any chance this is just general data mining on employees? I work at a DS platform and we work with a lot of companies' HR teams building retention models. Turns out if you know a bunch about someone you can tell about when they're getting ready to quit their job.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Also it's not unreasonable that if you get hired on as a higher-level position that they would give a bigger salary as well

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TimWinter posted:

Any chance this is just general data mining on employees? I work at a DS platform and we work with a lot of companies' HR teams building retention models. Turns out if you know a bunch about someone you can tell about when they're getting ready to quit their job.

I just did a portion of it, I closed the window and sent a rejection email to the recruiter after seeing this beaut:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

was it y or n

it was a y in the first 5 minutes then we chatted for another half hour

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Gazpacho posted:

“Dur hur i wanna paycheck” ok i’ll just take away from this that you don’t think much about your long term career development (which may or may not be relevant to the hiring decision)
Yeah, well, unless you're doing something meaningful, which like 99% of us probably don't, what other factor is really important? A Passion for Big Data? The Need to Crush Code All Day Every Day?

qhat posted:

Politely telling them to gently caress off is a terrible idea.

Be as bitchy as you can when you tell them to gently caress off.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Peeny Cheez posted:

Yeah, well, unless you're doing something meaningful, which like 99% of us probably don't, what other factor is really important? A Passion for Big Data? The Need to Crush Code All Day Every Day?

For me it just shows that a person doesn't have drive, and inevitably when they finish their tasks will just twiddle their thumbs and dick around on YouTube instead of learning about new languages frameworks, techniques that could be useful down the line in other projects. I don't expect someone to go home and program as a hobby in their spare time, but if you've got some downtime at work at least use it for something that makes you a better a programmer or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Janitor Prime posted:

For me it just shows that a person doesn't have drive, and inevitably when they finish their tasks will just twiddle their thumbs and dick around on YouTube instead of learning about new languages frameworks, techniques that could be useful down the line in other projects. I don't expect someone to go home and program as a hobby in their spare time, but if you've got some downtime at work at least use it for something that makes you a better a programmer or whatever.

*checks time on post*

do you live in europe?