Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

beats for junkies posted:

You're level 18 and still using a .38 rifle? Even if it's upgraded, that might be your problem. Try upgrading to something with 5.56 or .308 as your main gun (combat rifle, handmade rifle in semi-auto, I think you might be able to rechamber a hunting rifle to use it also). When you can one-shot a raider with a headshot, you save a lot of smokeless powder. :)

edit: I like having Big Jim (pipe wrench with a chance to cripple legs) for hunting, small ghoul encounters, and "suddenly, molerats" situations. It's pretty easy to get early on (it's at Walden Pond), and it's got a good damage-to-WT ratio, especially in Horizon where every WT unit counts.

It's not my main weapon, it's an automatic pipe rifle I use when I find myself heavy on .38. It's okay. I'm thinking maybe it's time to ditch it and convert the .38 to 5.56 or w/e.

FrostyJones posted:

Take a Sniper/Long Rifle with a Medium Scope using .308, .45-70, or 7.62mm. I like a Handmade Rifle for this, bolt actions are too slow for me. Next is a Carbine, something you can switch to full-auto when needed. A Handmade Rifle, a Combat Rifle in 5.56mm or the Tommy in .45 for early game can fill this role. Always take Reflex Sights and Compensators for these.

For being a sneaky boy, I like the N99 in 12.7mm, Long Light Ported Barrel, Reflex Sight, Sharpshooter's Grip, Quick Release Mag, you will be able to fire just about every shot in VATS if needed, switch to full-auto to quietly magdump a harder enemy. Any extra 9mm or 10mm rounds can be used to take out lights. Note that the Suppressed N99 can not use 12.7mm HE rounds, the suppressor effect overrides the HE.

Last is a melee weapon, I like Combat Knives. The nerfed Pickman's Blade is still decently strong.

I think we're thinking along the same lines. I was just running with all of the above plus a combat shotgun, a .38 submachine gun, a .44 pistol, and more. I think I need to pare down to like 3-4 guns and break down ammo they don't use. I like my .45-70 bolt action rifle, my .45 sub machine gun chews through everything in a hurry, and my N99 is a good stealth/molerat weapon. That and a 5.56 combat rifle may be all I need, especially since the .38 has terrible damage output and even a heavily upgraded combat shotgun feels like an under-performer for how many resources go into shotgun shells. I'm rocking a rusty katana in melee because I live by the blade but I clearly don't respect the blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Riatsala posted:

It's not my main weapon, it's an automatic pipe rifle I use when I find myself heavy on .38. It's okay. I'm thinking maybe it's time to ditch it and convert the .38 to 5.56 or w/e.

I think we're thinking along the same lines. I was just running with all of the above plus a combat shotgun, a .38 submachine gun, a .44 pistol, and more. I think I need to pare down to like 3-4 guns and break down ammo they don't use. I like my .45-70 bolt action rifle, my .45 sub machine gun chews through everything in a hurry, and my N99 is a good stealth/molerat weapon. That and a 5.56 combat rifle may be all I need, especially since the .38 has terrible damage output and even a heavily upgraded combat shotgun feels like an under-performer for how many resources go into shotgun shells. I'm rocking a rusty katana in melee because I live by the blade but I clearly don't respect the blade.

You can make yourself a weapon toolkit at the ammo bench that combined with conversion kits will allow you to convert weapons betwen ammo types in the field. It's kind of a core mechanic because that's also how you use AP ammo.

Conversion kits are not consumed either, it's just you building a set of replacement parts that you can carry around with you.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What's a good mod that works with horizon and uses .38? I'm real loving tired of the pipe sights being useless

Uploaded a video of the damage my 9mm is doing because this can't be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE0EDhKuVqw

Am I just doing something wrong or shouldn't those headshots have done way more.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 24, 2018

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
You've got a mod overriding something about the weapon or you wouldn't have that slowdown effect when you aim, because that's gone in Horizon. Can't say what else you might have messing things up.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

The slowdown is from VAFS, which has a horizon patch.

For comparison, the jobbers take 2-3 shots including sneak attack bonus on the first one.

Here's my load order if anyone can see what's wrong.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 24, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nalesh posted:

What's a good mod that works with horizon and uses .38? I'm real loving tired of the pipe sights being useless

I am a fan of the Schofield mod (the original--I haven't tried the No. 2 linked earlier), and it has a horizon patch. It is my go to workhorse for most encounters while I save better guns for more serious situations.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Uploaded a video of the damage my 9mm is doing because this can't be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE0EDhKuVqw

Am I just doing something wrong or shouldn't those headshots have done way more.

That sight isn't zeroed for the N99. Your shots are lower than the reticle and they were hitting the fence, at :35 you can see one of the planks fall over. Your first shot at :19 hit that steel tank. The shot that actually hit at :30 looks like a body shot with 9mm on a typical raider boss.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Any suggestions of how to fix it not being zeroed in right, or a mod that adds non poo poo sights like this one that doesn't do the fade to black thing.

This is the reason why I hate games that don't let me zero the sights myself.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 24, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
See-Through Scopes may be what you are looking for https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11253/

I tried it, but I like being able to steady my aim with AP and this takes away that option.

edit: Oh also I found that zooming out one tic into third person made aiming a lot easier when the sights were being a pain in the rear end.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 24, 2018

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Any suggestions of how to fix it not being zeroed in right, or a mod that adds non poo poo sights like this one that doesn't do the fade to black thing.

This is the reason why I hate games that don't let me zero the sights myself.

Vanilla Reflex Sights don't do the "fade to black" thing, but only have about 1.5x zoom. The flaw I find in the See-through Combat Scopes mod is that while "immersive" I can't hold my breath to get that precise shot. If you're really set on that sight you're using, just get into the habit of aiming a little higher.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

See-Through Scopes may be what you are looking for https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11253/

I tried it, but I like being able to steady my aim with AP and this takes away that option.

That scope is from that mod.

Also speaking of mods, I seem to remember a mod that allowed you to turn the 10mm/N99 into an smg like thingy, which mod was that and is there a horizon patch for it?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

OwlFancier posted:

You can make yourself a weapon toolkit at the ammo bench that combined with conversion kits will allow you to convert weapons betwen ammo types in the field. It's kind of a core mechanic because that's also how you use AP ammo.

Conversion kits are not consumed either, it's just you building a set of replacement parts that you can carry around with you.

I had no idea. This mod is so dense. Thank you.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Also speaking of mods, I seem to remember a mod that allowed you to turn the 10mm/N99 into an smg like thingy, which mod was that and is there a horizon patch for it?

Build a Weapon Tool Kit at the Weapons Bench. Bind it to a hot key. Do note that changing the firing mode/ammo takes a little time, don't use it out of cover.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nalesh posted:

Oh, well then idk. I quit using it too but I don't mind the vanilla sights.

You may need to figure out how the 3d scopes framework works and zero your own sights.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

FrostyJones posted:

Build a Weapon Tool Kit at the Weapons Bench. Bind it to a hot key. Do note that changing the firing mode/ammo takes a little time, don't use it out of cover.

I mean bodykit wise, not changing from semi to full auto.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Is there a version of Armorsmith Extended that doesn't require any DLC/only requires automatron, or am I just going to have to do without?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also as for guns that can use .38, in basic horizon I'm fairly sure both to combat rifle and the submachinegun can be rechambered for .38.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I never used to take Dogmeat as a companion because it bothered me when he would get hurt during a fight. Poor dog.

But I found a mod that turns him into a gnarly robot dog called "Dogmetal" and that makes it okay.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11774/

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Honestly I'm genuinely surprised they haven't made a CC mod for dogmeat yet that uses the model of the nazi robo doggo from wolfenstein

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nalesh posted:

The slowdown is from VAFS, which has a horizon patch.

For comparison, the jobbers take 2-3 shots including sneak attack bonus on the first one.

Here's my load order if anyone can see what's wrong.

The Horizon page has a suggested load order. It's pretty explicit that Horizon be at the bottom of the list.

I would also be extremely suspicious of the various settlement mods you have going. I suspect that some of them overlap with Sim Settlements. In general you only want one mod per game mechanic/system altered unless you know exactly what you're doing.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 24, 2018

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Which you know, it is, except for patches that need to be loaded after horizon, and the lights out mod I forgot to move up but the problem was there before that one. And the non SS settlement mods do stuff like make the settlement bigger/allow you to build higher.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 24, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Sorry, on my screen that image is missing the top and bottoms of your list. Not sure if that's just me.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I didn't bother putting ESM's in because they're ESM's, that is the bottom of my list though.

I wonder if it could be the unofficial fo4 patch's fault, any of you run that with horizon fine? Literally the only mod I can think of that would have a reason to touch damage.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Honestly I'm genuinely surprised they haven't made a CC mod for dogmeat yet that uses the model of the nazi robo doggo from wolfenstein

it ain't official, but the dogmetal guy has that covered, too

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17116

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Now I don't know poo poo about modding, but I'm guessing this is what causes the extra damage? I don't see any conflicts.

Not sure where the generic modifier is, could someone help me with that? Would like it to see if there's a problem there.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 24, 2018

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Found Sound posted:

it ain't official, but the dogmetal guy has that covered, too

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17116

Whooo yeah definitely going to try that one out.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Come to think of it I've never actually used followers in fo4 due to bad experiences in skyrim, what mods are needed to make em bearable?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Nalesh posted:

Come to think of it I've never actually used followers in fo4 due to bad experiences in skyrim, what mods are needed to make em bearable?

Personally, I use Better Companions https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18547

and Everyone's Best Friend = https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13459/

Better Companions changes the perks around, improves some AI things, and has some settings allowing companions to stay back further, use specific weapons for close range / mid range / far range, and generally offers a better experience over stock.

Everyone's Best Friend allows Dogmeat to join you and another companion.

I've also seen people using Amazing Follower Tweaks which allows unlimited companions and does a whole bunch of stuff that the above two already do, but I didn't want to mess with it for some reason. Looks all encompassing though!

This recent Reddit post is a pretty good read if you want some other opinions, or want non-stock Companions (or visual stuff, too)
https://www.reddit.com/r/FalloutMods/comments/7wa69b/fo4_what_are_your_top_companion_mods/

Otacon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 24, 2018

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
For the people who play with sim settlements here, do you still use the city plans or just build plots yourself for advanced industrial stuff? I've gotten sanctuary to level 3, 26/26 people (finally), but find that it feels kinda hollow when I look all around and see what should be "shops" or "recreational" but the city never builds anything there. Then I find myself wanting of extra space for advanced industrial stuff and I am starting to try and find a way to tear down the city but leave the plots intact (but I can't find one so far).

Also the auto city assigner keeps taking people off the IDEK's logistic facilities which just fucks everything up if I don't manually assign someone to it before I leave. And I can't seem to figure out what point an advanced industrial should upgrade. A saw mill had collected over 300 wood, but still refuses to upgrade, while a different one had done so around 200.

I kinda wish putting junk in the supplies box in a non-city settlement at the city workbench would evenly split all resulting resources to each advanced industrial plot's stockpile so I could have a one stop place to dump stuff. That would be nice.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Broose posted:

For the people who play with sim settlements here, do you still use the city plans or just build plots yourself for advanced industrial stuff? I've gotten sanctuary to level 3, 26/26 people (finally), but find that it feels kinda hollow when I look all around and see what should be "shops" or "recreational" but the city never builds anything there. Then I find myself wanting of extra space for advanced industrial stuff and I am starting to try and find a way to tear down the city but leave the plots intact (but I can't find one so far).

Also the auto city assigner keeps taking people off the IDEK's logistic facilities which just fucks everything up if I don't manually assign someone to it before I leave. And I can't seem to figure out what point an advanced industrial should upgrade. A saw mill had collected over 300 wood, but still refuses to upgrade, while a different one had done so around 200.

I kinda wish putting junk in the supplies box in a non-city settlement at the city workbench would evenly split all resulting resources to each advanced industrial plot's stockpile so I could have a one stop place to dump stuff. That would be nice.

The SimSettlement dude seems pretty cool and receptive to ideas about his mod. I would actually suggest making that recommendation to him. Its something he might implement as an optional feature or something.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Broose posted:

With the latest version of the mod, you should be able to completely change what a plot is from the plot options menu. So any 2x2s are fair game for advanced industrial. You will have to wire your own power to the plot, however.

In addition to stockpile requirements, advanced industrials need settlement happiness and a certain amount of active time to upgrade. Juicing the stockpile can get you down to that active time threshhold but not bypass it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I took advantage of the ability to decide on specific plots to give Sanctuary an oil well. I'm using the Lone Wanderer motorcycle mod as immersive fast travel and I was starting to run low on oil to keep it fueled.

Now I just need to figure out the upgrade path to an adhesive farm...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I took advantage of the ability to decide on specific plots to give Sanctuary an oil well. I'm using the Lone Wanderer motorcycle mod as immersive fast travel and I was starting to run low on oil to keep it fueled.

I use a mod that allows me to make adhesive from various ingredients like bones, hide, acid, etc.

Also this is a vote for Amazing Follower Tweaks. I don't use it to have multiple followers, but I love being able to change their combat AI to match the weapon I give them, and to change their home settlement. I believe you can also use it to convert any NPC into a follower.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

The Ruined Homes And Gardens plot pack includes a watershed/well -> fertilizer -> wild adhesive lab path.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Glazius posted:

With the latest version of the mod, you should be able to completely change what a plot is from the plot options menu. So any 2x2s are fair game for advanced industrial. You will have to wire your own power to the plot, however.

In addition to stockpile requirements, advanced industrials need settlement happiness and a certain amount of active time to upgrade. Juicing the stockpile can get you down to that active time threshhold but not bypass it.

The caveat here is that it only works with plots that aren't built with a foundation, which a lot of the city plots are, so you'd need to scrap the plot and rebuild it unfortunately.

Also advanced industrial I believe needs security as well.

chitoryu12 posted:

In the base mod the scrapyard > crusher will produce a small amount of adhesive, and there are addons which can add specific adhesive production too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wish I understood why the nexus search function was such garbage.

I searched for the lone wanderer motorcycle, and it returned other motorcycle mods, including one that was a variation of the mod, but not the actual mod in question. I google searched the mod instead, and it returned the actual mod on the nexus.

This sort of thing seems to happen all the time. The search function returns things adjacent to what you are looking for, but not the thing itself, even if you search for it by name.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 25, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might be filtering it out for some reason, the filters are a bit weird.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I have tried to keep the search filters as open and default as possible, to avoid that, but hosed if I know. I tried clearing them, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

edit: Like, I look up the files of a modder like Elianora, and it says I have settings that block some of her mods--not all, just some, and some of those are basically the same kind of mods as the ones it does let me see--but there's no explanation as to what filters are blocking the mod from my search results. It lets me see Hangman's Flat, but not Chestnut Lodge, and it lets me see her Tunnel Snakes outfit, but not Wasteland Clothing. :confused:

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 25, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nalesh posted:

The level 2 Inspirational perk and not being squeamish about using [refid].moveto player as needed has been pretty good for me, but also not giving a gently caress and letting them teleport on their own worked for most of the game. They spam grenades pretty heavily even in stupid situations to spam grenades, like vs ferals and molerats, so only load them up with grenades when you want them to be used, but I think I still have a couple dozen frag grenades stashed at home plate so it's not like I'm running low on munitions.

I ran Piper in her own suit of Power Armor a lot and she rarely went down unless it got really hairy and was generally useful, at least as a distraction. One protip is to use T-51 for them even though it isn't as good as T-60 because it only needs steel to repair the limbs. Aluminum is my only scarce lategame resource once I got my vegan glue farms going strong.

edit: I post that, hit Vault 88 tonight and get 100 Aluminum just like that.

edit2: Holy poo poo this place is huge.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

You might be filtering it out for some reason, the filters are a bit weird.

No, they changed the search function. Now it ONLY searches in the titles. I seriously google what I want and limit it to the Nexus and that's how I find poo poo.