Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/tomscioli/status/1020418759637561345

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
As a Transformers snob, Tom Scioli is about the only thing that could make me want to buy a book about Go-Bots.

edit: the fact he calls it a "passion project" even makes me like him a little less. Perhaps it has to do with his tease that Transformers might be involved somehow.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 21, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s his passion to make money.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Saga's on a yearlong (at least) sabbatical:

https://www.newsarama.com/41081-saga-goes-on-year-long-hiatus.html

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

On the one hand: for gently caress's sake.

On the other: if it lets them get to the point where they can finish up the story without taking three months off every six issues, I'll cope.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I'm a bit annoyed that Lemire spoiled the end of Descender on his own dang Twitter, but I'm looking forward to this anyway.

He also has a new ongoing with Phil Hester on the way called Family Tree. The man is a comic machine! (Though it looks like this one is over a year late.)

Press from 2016 posted:

When an eight-year-old girl literally begins to transform into a tree, her single Mom, troubled brother and possibly insane Grandfather embark on a bizarre, and heart-wrenching odyssey across the back roads of America desperately searching for a way to cure to her horrifying transformation before it’s too late.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Re: Saga.

MotherFUCKER

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Pancakes posted:

MotherFUCKER

Are you referring to the ending of this week's issue, or the one year intermission? Because I would say ditto for either.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The_Other posted:

Are you referring to the ending of this week's issue, or the one year intermission? Because I would say ditto for either.

Both, but mostly the former.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Don't trust Brian K. Vaughan.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Pancakes posted:

Both, but mostly the former.

It's been pretty liberal with the killings lately, though I'm not convinced Prince Robot is truly dead.

Anyone else check out The New World this week? I usually find Ales Kot to be a bit much, but this one is fairly straightforward and the art is great.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Pancakes posted:

MotherFUCKER

Yeah. drat. Just drat.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A Walk Through Hell continues extremely good. This is top form from Ennis.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jedit posted:

On the one hand: for gently caress's sake.

On the other: if it lets them get to the point where they can finish up the story without taking three months off every six issues, I'll cope.

BKV is supposedly working on a Silver Surfer script, might have something to do with that

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Android Blues posted:

A Walk Through Hell continues extremely good. This is top form from Ennis.

Yeah just got done with it, I'm enjoying it. The pacing between the past/present stories is really good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno if anyone else checked it out, but i just finished the new image book The New World and was pleasantly surprised because tbh i wasnt expecting it to be any good at all. Story seems interesting, although in tyool 2018 i cant believe we're seeing an obnoxious straight edge character, i really liked the art, and a 50 page issue is definitely okay with me

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Umbrella Academy is back in October
https://www.avclub.com/umbrella-academy-s-dysfunctional-heroes-return-in-this-1827659939

and Boom!/Archaia are putting out Alejandro Jodorowsky's El Topo sequel comic in English.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/26/first-look-at-alejandro-jodorowsky-and-jose-ladronns-sons-of-el-topo-ogn/

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Neat, I read the first Umbrella Academy on Comixology Unlimited and liked it. Didn’t get the second one yet because I was somehow under the impression that it ended on an unresolved cliffhanger.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If anyone's at all interested in ancient mythology stuff, i just slammed through Herakles book 1 that lion forge just put out and i really enjoyed it

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of Boom! Comixology's doing a sale on their Graphic Novels/Trade Paperbacks.

I personally recommend Giant Days.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm going to throw in Unsound as another one worth reading. The only negative thing I can say about it is that it isn't going to get any more issues.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
If I remember correctly, a friend just forced his vol.1 TPB of Umbrella Academy on me several years ago. I read vol.2 from the local library, and have been waiting for more ever since.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of Boom! Comixology's doing a sale on their Graphic Novels/Trade Paperbacks.

I personally recommend Giant Days.

I bought Klaus and Welcome Back and both were pretty fun.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Latest issue of Über is out and it gives some interesting developments.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm not used to Uber coming out on time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Must be the end times

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Soooo Maria is/was playing some kind of Uber-takeover game? Curious to see whether she fixed Leah's leg - obviously Leah still looked disabled there, but Maria wouldn't want to give it away if Leah weren't. I wonder if she's actually dead - she's minimally physically enhanced, but she's still a battleship.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s a lot of thing that make me angry about Stalin but even after reading through it all again last week and now this chapter I really don’t understand his ungodly fear of Maria and him having her killed. She completely overpowered two battleships with ease and with the help of Churchill took down a third. That she refuses to kill or march on past Russia shouldn’t be seen as a negative. She was an unstoppable defense and after the battles had sent definite messages to both Germany and Japan to leave Russia alone. Whatever resentment she may have had from how she was made seem to be gone now so seriously, why get rid of your strongest asset?

Speculation ahead: I’m guessing once her activation is completed, Tamara will team up with Churchill in a similar way she did with Maria. Japan is now pretty much done after this rout, Russia needs to loving pay for this, and I’m really interested to see what the Americans do with Siegmund.

Also do we know how long Invasion is going to be? I feel like we’re getting to the endgame now.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 1, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Stalin was historically extremely paranoid. His purges and show trials got rid of a lot of people in both the army and political spheres who could even remotely attempt to question or threaten him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is this the place to help remember a particular indie book as well? There was a series from a few years ago that fell off my radar and I wanted to catch up with it and see how/if it ended.

It was a post-apocalypse series where humanity was living in failing biodomes under the ocean. The story followed an estranged family as they fought their way to the surface on the hope it was livable again.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is this the place to help remember a particular indie book as well? There was a series from a few years ago that fell off my radar and I wanted to catch up with it and see how/if it ended.

It was a post-apocalypse series where humanity was living in failing biodomes under the ocean. The story followed an estranged family as they fought their way to the surface on the hope it was livable again.

"Low", I think?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
uber: maria nooooooo

but yeah stalin would have people killed for breathing wrong so wacking an unstoppable magic killing machine that doesnt like you and wont follow your orders is extremely in character

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That’s it, thanks. I remembered it was a by a creator I was following but couldn’t remember it was Remender.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

More Uber chat. I’ve always been fascinated by the note bubbles throughout the series written from a future POV. At the end of #12 it says that the events it (Yamato invasion) precipitated would be one of the primary causes leading to the soviet removal from the war.

Maria heading east to face Yamato, letting him go, and then getting killed by her own people has to be the events referred there meaning this is going to bite Russia in the rear end badly. Which is good because María owned. She was around since the very beginning! She was your gold atheist god!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Leviathan and The Seeds are practically the complete opposite of each other in tone, and both seem pretty promising based on their first issues.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

"Low", I think?

Looks like it. The art is gorgeous and the premise is intriguing, thanks for the heads up I'll check it out immediately. Image's digital pricing is really all over the place though, like the TPs and books are more expensive than buying individual issues a lot of the time: https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/low I don't really get it.

Since we're on the topic of catching up with stuff I was really into Trees by Warren Ellis, asking myself does he ever plan to pick it back up at some point ? Well here's some good news, he has two issues written down for Vol 3, release date TBC: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/29/warren-ellis-wild-storm-trees-injection/

Injection is still on hiatus but not cancelled.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Looks like it. The art is gorgeous and the premise is intriguing, thanks for the heads up I'll check it out immediately. Image's digital pricing is really all over the place though, like the TPs and books are more expensive than buying individual issues a lot of the time: https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/low I don't really get it.

The collections are cheaper on Comixology right now.
https://www.comixology.com/Low/comics-series/21323

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

The collections are cheaper on Comixology right now.
https://www.comixology.com/Low/comics-series/21323

That's tempting but I've made a conscious decision to avoid Amazon's services lately so I only buy there what I can't find anywhere else. Plus Image sells that stuff DRM free which is something I like to support.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also do we know how long Invasion is going to be? I feel like we’re getting to the endgame now.

I finished the first series last week and Gillen mentioned in the last issue that he had about 24 issues in mind for Invasion.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Image is DRM free on Comixology too. You can download in PDF and CBZ.
Also, Image puts on heavy sales all the time there. You just missed a buy-one-get-one sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh dear.

Though as soon as I got to the last page, Comixology brought up the preview text for the next issue which took the tension out a bit hahah.

Definitely psychic of some sort.

Next issue spoilers:
Uber: Invasion #16
Maria is just not to be messed with, and soon they will all learn the hard way!

Oct 3 :cry:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 2, 2018