Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Heaven's sake I can't keep up with all of this utter bollocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That was kinda my point though, considering a big part of any superhero motif is hiding their identity.

Your thinking of Disney's Mulan.

Here's the thing, the character would still be a black woman in the 1930's. The problem is that the rocketeer is about nostalgia for a very specific era in American history that black people think of in an entirely different context. Period movies aren't nostalgic for black characters, the most they can be is cathartic (like django unchained) but that requires some real bummer poo poo along the way.

Could a talented writer or filmmaker make it work? sure.
Would a Black Buffy reboot be easier? absolutely.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OmanyteJackson posted:

Your thinking of Disney's Mulan.

Here's the thing, the character would still be a black woman in the 1930's. The problem is that the rocketeer is about nostalgia for a very specific era in American history that black people think of in an entirely different context. Period movies aren't nostalgic for black characters, the most they can be is cathartic (like django unchained) but that requires some real bummer poo poo along the way.

Could a talented writer or filmmaker make it work? sure.
Would a Black Buffy reboot be easier? absolutely.

I fully agree with all of that. The only point I wanted to make was there was more that could potentially be done or said (by a talented filmmaker) with it than the Buffy reboot.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yams Fan
ok maybe I don't get the joke, but in-universe there is no rule that says The Slayer Has To Be White

the reboot is fine, it's not a retcon or a sequel

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Goa Tse-tung posted:

ok maybe I don't get the joke, but in-universe there is no rule that says The Slayer Has To Be White

I actually forgot that was a plot point until now, and that would probably make more sense than a reboot. Just continue the original story from two decades ago with the next generation of vampire slayers, and have the main character be black. Hell I'd probably watch that. Not really interested in a reboot.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Goa Tse-tung posted:

tbh, its probably better off being a reboot. iirc continuity in that show ended up being really weird.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

Apparently this has actually varied heavily from game to game.

Around 25% of players finished the Modern Warfare campaigns, but 64% of players finished Advanced Warfare, 60% finished Ghosts and 56% finished Black Ops 2.

To put this in perspective, only 46% of players finished Wolfenstein: The New Order on PC according to steam.

CoD campaigns are completed on average about the same as most single player games nowadays.

This is going to be skewed (in a very normal and expected way) by popularity. MW1-3 are absurdly popular and have a reputation for their multiplayer, so there's an organically larger number of people who have a) bought the game because it's the "it" thing but never finished it and b) bought it for the multiplayer because "everyone's playing it."

Really the maxim of "people only get CoD for the multiplayer" only applies as an actual truth to the Modern Warfare trilogy and a comparably-small-but-vocal core audience. It's one of those selection bias things. It's definitely true about the most visible players, but the most visible players aren't representative of the total player base.

Also I strongly suspect that Activision has dramatically under-estimated the pending backlash when the substantial audience of people who play CoD but don't read IGN find out that there's no campaign in BlOps4 when they get home and put the disc in.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I've only ever played the story of call of duty games because I'm some kind of inhuman monster who simultaneously can't abide any realistic-shooter multiplayer experience that isn't at least as in-depth as counter strike but also has grown to the age of being bored of counter strike so now I'm just a cold dead husk.

What I'm saying is I like dark souls. It fully captures the existential bleakness that makes up the core story of call of duty games but without being racist about it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

lobster22221 posted:

tbh, its probably better off being a reboot. iirc continuity in that show ended up being really weird.

It ended up with Buffy empowering a whole generation of young women so there was no longer just a single chosen one. It'd be easy enough to follow up on.

The comics got weird though.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It ended up with Buffy empowering a whole generation of young women so there was no longer just a single chosen one. It'd be easy enough to follow up on.

I read summaries on tvtropes or some other places once to get an idea of what they were like. Retconning the Angel finale and literally recreating the universe is involved. Also for a while magic didn't exist in a franchise filled with magic.

Even in the television parts I thought there was some time travel involved, which generally is the root of a lot of issues.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Question is do we want them following up on Dawn being a giant/a centaur/dating Xander

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Gnome de plume posted:

Question is do we want them following up on Dawn being a giant/a centaur/dating Xander

Okay I heard about the last one but what for the first two. The way I heard it told was that she and Xander bonded over being the only normal rear end non-magic wielding humans of the group. Or did all this happen after.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yams Fan
quick aside to DoD BO3:

I loved Abby Brammell's voice acting as the protagonist, her performance really sold me in the escalating situation of the endgame. The world doesn't make sense and she cries out for help.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm a fan of fun mulitplayer shooters but have an extreeme aversion to poo poo linear single player shooters.

I played up until the favella in MW2 while the multiplayer was installing and vowed never touched the single player in COD ever again. I played a bit of Advanced Warfare co-op but found it completely bewildering and impossible to parse what was going on at any given moment.

Battlefield 4 tied a busted LMG to completing the (mercifully short) campaign and I loving hated every second of it. Battlefield 1's British campaign is the only one of these things I've ever actually enjoyed.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

khwarezm posted:

If I recall correctly Samuel L Jackson himself was one of the people who voiced his distaste for black British actors getting roles playing Americans with the argument that it was taking work away from actual African-American people. I think that was a very unfair attitude but it can run pretty deep.

His attitude was a little dumber I thought, which was that he objected to Daniel Kaluuya in GET OUT because he was British and the British don't suffer racism in the same way that Americans do. It got a fairly angry sounding response from Kaluuya.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Jackson’s argument was off but his frustration is understandable and there’s a real issue that can’t just be swept aside. Get Out is a pretty good example to use because Peele was deliberately set against casting a British lead... and then did it anyway.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

khwarezm posted:

Also even with White actors there's sometimes a certain mindfulness of their nationality, I remember reading that the producers at Marvel absolutely made sure that whoever played Captain America was actually American, even though there were tons of people from like Britain or Australia who were recommended for the role and that it was very difficult to get Chris Evans to sign up for the role in the end.

Yeah, almost every actor in Harry Potter is British (Zoe Wannamaker and Vern Troyer are the only real exceptions) and there would be a riot if an American was cast as James Bond or The Doctor.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Hang on, I thought this dumb dog had been put down

https://twitter.com/RacismDog/status/1022115093692276742

Like, I'm a bit eh on the article but how the hell is it in any way racist

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Phillby posted:

I'm a fan of fun mulitplayer shooters but have an extreeme aversion to poo poo linear single player shooters.

I played up until the favella in MW2 while the multiplayer was installing and vowed never touched the single player in COD ever again. I played a bit of Advanced Warfare co-op but found it completely bewildering and impossible to parse what was going on at any given moment.

Battlefield 4 tied a busted LMG to completing the (mercifully short) campaign and I loving hated every second of it. Battlefield 1's British campaign is the only one of these things I've ever actually enjoyed.

As I said before Infinite Warfare is probably the best on followed by AW. Battlefield campaigns have always been meh outside bad company 1. It’s not their strong point and because the multiplayer is already so good it doesn’t really matter. Either way my big AAA single player game series is Assassins creed.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 25, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

Hang on, I thought this dumb dog had been put down

https://twitter.com/RacismDog/status/1022115093692276742

Like, I'm a bit eh on the article but how the hell is it in any way racist

Gotta screenshot that stuff.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Racism Dog is good, frequently causing meltdowns from bigoted douchebags, but they took that clickbaity "Black Buffy" article at face value and presumably went oh wait afterwards.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Racism Dog has been excellent since the Reddit days. Can’t blame the dog for taking a headline like that at face value when we live in hellworld where just yesterday there was a headline about how libraries were theft and should be replaced by physical Amazon store locations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

hasn't racism dog barked at stuff for being "anti-white" or am i thinking of a different Animal Screams At Bigot account

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

hasn't racism dog barked at stuff for being "anti-white" or am i thinking of a different Animal Screams At Bigot account

They’ve gone after people claiming that reverse racism or “anti-whiteness” exists. I sure hope they haven’t gone after The Root-style editorials on white people or something.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

oh i should've googled before asking, it was about this: https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/racism-dog-account-milkshake-duck/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

oh i should've googled before asking, it was about this: https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/racism-dog-account-milkshake-duck/

I would have assumed that tweet was about the framing of the article headline rather than the woman’s actions, but I guess it wasn’t? I hope they come back.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Episode 9 of Lindsay Ellis' Whole Plate is now out on youtube for all to enjoy.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Racism Dog is good only because without it we wouldn't have gotten Horny Reply Watchgoose

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Walked home listening to this on my phone giggling like an idiot every 20-odd seconds or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74KAGEe-IdU

e: found a screenshot in the trump thread:

Montasque posted:

RETRACT YOUR WOOF SIR!

eeee: fucks sake imgur when the hell did you become so bloody inconvenient!?!

KayTee fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 25, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Ronnie from Game Theory took his own life

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

I had no idea there was anyone else on that channel, but its never fun to hear about a death, especially a suicide. It seems like Matt cared about him and the others on the channel a lot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, suicide is the worst. :smith:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

This isn't the first time something like this has happened no. Like, what's the point of the thing if you're not going to even bother reading (or let's face it, even so much as scanning) an article and try to call it out as racist when it's literally the exact opposite of that?

They also tried to open up a Patreon for the thing which would be hilarious to me if it wasn't also kind of irritating

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
shocked to find the account based around signal boosting racist stuff to white liberals is ignorant and dumb

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

shocked to find the account based around signal boosting racist stuff to white liberals is ignorant and dumb

It’s actually good because the whole point is that the racists always respond earnestly to deny that they are racists, prompting the racism dog to do another “bork bork,” which the racist then responds to, to the point where a white man is writing hundreds of words to contradict dog noises.

It’s great because it highlights how fragile white men especially are and diagnoses how irrational white denials of racism are and how it doesn’t actually matter what you say to a white racist because their denials always follow the same pattern.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

business hammocks posted:

It’s actually good because the whole point is that the racists always respond earnestly to deny that they are racists, prompting the racism dog to do another “bork bork,” which the racist then responds to, to the point where a white man is writing hundreds of words to contradict dog noises.

It’s great because it highlights how fragile white men especially are and diagnoses how irrational white denials of racism are and how it doesn’t actually matter what you say to a white racist because their denials always follow the same pattern.

I think not retweeting Deplorable Gunt with 20 followers replying to a Brietbart article to say she also hates the muslims to your massive audience just to go 'bork bork' at it is a better idea but I don't have a fancy patreon to do v. important twitter work so what the gently caress do I know

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

business hammocks posted:

I would have assumed that tweet was about the framing of the article headline rather than the woman’s actions, but I guess it wasn’t? I hope they come back.

that's the problem with this gimmick. if the thing it's barking at has even the most minor of nuances, the reader will fill that context in with whatever first comes to mind. people aren't gonna spend a couple minutes extrapolating the meaning, they're just gonna assume the dog's barking at reverse racism or something.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Didn't it come out that the guy behind racism dog was creeping on women?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Roth posted:

Didn't it come out that the guy behind racism dog was creeping on women?

I think it was the 'we rate dogs' guy was weirdly changing names that were too ethnic to more white ones because THE METRICS or something?

One of the dog accounts was a dick and 2018 is a loving hellscape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

I think it was the 'we rate dogs' guy was weirdly changing names that were too ethnic to more white ones because THE METRICS or something?

One of the dog accounts was a dick and 2018 is a loving hellscape

That one is funny because they literally hosed up the one job they had.