Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Donovan Trip posted:

Bethesda confirmed there will be a ton of new info on Fallout 76 at Quakecon, during the second week of August. :captainpop:

I'm hoping we get to see more monsters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

You'll get your giant mutant sloth, and you'll like it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jeff Goldblum posted:

You'll get your giant mutant sloth, and you'll like it.

drat straight I will! :buddy: The one thing I don't like about the giant sloth is that it's probably not going to be rideable.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Does enabling mods in FO4 disable trophies?

Can anyone suggest any good ps4 mods? I don't want anything game-breaking, because I'm still on my first play through, but if there's anything that may have bug fixes or good quality of life improvements, then suggest away.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Keeshhound posted:

Then you get quests to impose harsh quotas and institute gulags, because we need to have moral choices, and nuance is hard.

Look rear end in a top hat, if you've got a better solution to the Garvey and Piper problem, please tell me.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

The Zombie Guy posted:

Can anyone suggest any good ps4 mods? I don't want anything game-breaking, because I'm still on my first play through, but if there's anything that may have bug fixes or good quality of life improvements, then suggest away.

Fallout4 unnofficial patch is a must and well worth not getting achievements.

I know a few mods allow you to enable achievements but i dont know of there are some for ps4

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Zombie Guy posted:

It does disable trophies, yeah. If that's a concern you might just want to play it vanilla. PS4 mod support is weak thanks to Sony's bullshit so there's nothing all that notable. If you don't care about trophies you might look into Scrap That Settlement, No build limit, Companion Infinite Ammo, Faster Positive Affinity for Companions, and some of the various performance enhancing mods by Nytra to help improve FPS.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

mutant sloth rancher is a real missed opportunity.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Keeshhound posted:

If anything, you being given the title "General" is some kind of weird anarchist thing whereby getting "promoted," you're actually made the lowest wo/man on the totem pole who has to do all the dirty work of designing and constructing settlements, handling the bureaucracy of recruitment and setting up logistics, and then go get shot whenever a citizen asks you to do something dangerous, in addition to being the head of the salvage department.

Work is only suffering filled drudgery because of the alienation of your labor under Capitalism.

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013

The Zombie Guy posted:

The following mods are great quality-of-life mods that are not super cheaty, and are all PS4-approved:

Power Armor - Quick Enter/Exit:
- If you plan to use Power Armor a lot, this one is a must-have. It replaces the standard animation with the faster in-combat enter/exit animation to be much quicker. Very nice mod, I have had no conflicts with it.

Companion infinite ammo:
- So long as your companion has at least 1 ammo in their inventory, they will have unlimited ammo, so it's less time you have to spend on micro-managing.

Stronger Dogmeat PS4:
- This one COULD be considered cheaty, but to be honest, basic Dogmeat is severely underpowered considering German shepherds are K-9 units for a reason. This mod makes Dogmeat more in line with a trained k-9 unit, stronger bite, can take more hits. I'd recommend trying it out, if you think it's too much you can always delete.

Dogs Not Brahmin:
- replaces pack brahmin with dogs, which are smaller and quieter and no longer lock you in your bathroom and heavy breathe in your ear as you struggle to squeeze past.

Eli's Tweaks & Fixes All-in-one:
- This mod does a lot of stuff. Renames many objects to make more sense in your menus (Bobbleheads, etc). Removes the "junk" flag from certain objects like Danse's tags or Macready's toy soldier, and moves them to Misc so you cannot accidentally scrap them. Adds a craftable molerat disease cure if you befriend Curie. Triples amount of resource you get from water/power sources, and defense from guard posts. It does a lot. Give it a shot.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Elianora is a dang powerhouse.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

AFT is really good if you're looking for a one stop shop companion mod

It's got a lot of features but you can completely ignore whatever you aren't interested in while out of the box it does it's job a lot better than uh, whatver the other mainline one is (UFO?) which had a lot of issues with dlc companions and times when companions are supposed to force quit your group for story reasons

Plus it's actively being updated while I think most the other standard ones haven't been touched up since 2016/17

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Father Wendigo posted:

Look rear end in a top hat, if you've got a better solution to the Garvey and Piper problem, please tell me.

Am I the only person who likes Piper? :(

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Savidudeosoo posted:

Am I the only person who likes Piper? :(

You're not the only one. Piper is a neat character who's not nearly as annoying as others make her out to be. (My favorite interaction is when she goes up to a settler and asks them if they're worried about the Institute poisoning the water. They're response of "Whee I wasn't..." is great.)

The problem with Piper (and everything else with Fallout 4) is that the writing feels like the bare minimum necessary to establish the character.

But yeah, Piper, Curie, and Codsworth are great. Maybe also Danse, but I've never given any shits about the rest of the companions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Piper is a character that could be really great and has some actually good voice acting (especially compared to Preston Garvey and most of the minor characters) but the writing just isn't up to par. It feels like they try too hard to establish the "Hard-nosed scrappy girl reporter" character at the beginning with her laughably stupid plot to get into Diamond City and how aggressively she pushes the journalism angle in her first few conversations. It takes a while for her to grow on you.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The other issue is that for as much as she claims to be a journalist, she never actually reports much of anything, and most of what she writes is tabloid level crap. She never gives a reason for why she thinks the mayor's a synth, she's just right about it because that's what was written.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

chitoryu12 posted:

Piper is a character that could be really great and has some actually good voice acting (especially compared to Preston Garvey and most of the minor characters) but the writing just isn't up to par. It feels like they try too hard to establish the "Hard-nosed scrappy girl reporter" character at the beginning with her laughably stupid plot to get into Diamond City and how aggressively she pushes the journalism angle in her first few conversations. It takes a while for her to grow on you.

I liked Piper more as the game progressed but boy is that opening encounter cringy. I really didn't like that she started hitting on the Sole Survivor a few seconds after meeting you. Her hitting on someone she just met isn't cringy, the lack of interesting dialogue options considering what the Sole Survivor just went through is the problem. You just watched your spouse get brutally murdered and child kidnapped days or maybe even hours earlier. It feels like the game wants you to ignore all that and just go along with it. You can really tell they designed her to be the default love interest for the Sole Survivor.

Then again the entire companions as love interests part of the game always bugged me. Bethesda really didn't need to make ever companion that isn't an animal, robot or super mutant dateable. It would have been nice if some only wanted to hang out and murder raiders or some only were attracted to certain genders. Would have made different playthroughs as different genders more interesting.

Edit:
What's everyone's favorite companion from any of the Fallout games. My top pick is ED-E from NV. What a loveable chirpy bastard! Runner up and the only companion I tend to use in Fallout 4 is Dog-o. Yeah, I call him Dog-o. gently caress Mama Murphy, she ain't naming my dog.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 25, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ED-E is a top tier battle buddy for the victory music alone.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

SwitchbladeKult posted:

What's everyone's favorite companion from any of the Fallout games. My top pick is ED-E from NV. What a loveable chirpy bastard! Runner up and the only companion I tend to use in Fallout 4 is Dog-o. Yeah, I call him Dog-o. gently caress Mama Murphy, she ain't naming my dog.

FO1: Dogmeat. Ian and Tycho don't really have a personality outside the initial conversation and Dogmeat is awesome.

FO2: Myron, baby, Myron!

Or Cassidy just because he's a mean son of a bitch and he murders everything with the Gauss Rifle.

FO3: I only remember the bad karma dude from Megaton and never got him to join because I was a goody two-shoes. I've beaten the game twice but I seriously don't remember anyone.

FNV: Toss-up between Cass and Arcade. Both have a distinct enough personality and are well written characters with actual motives. When it comes to NPC's, FNV wrote the book.

FO4: Dogmeat. Same reason as FO1.

I only ever used him and Nick, everyone else just annoyed the poo poo out of me. Bethesda is incapable of writing anything with depth.

Edit: Just remembered Fawkes from FO3 but the only thing I remember outside of him being the only(?) non-orc good guy Super Mutant in the game was that the game appoints him the TRUE HERO if you make him go into the radiated room even though it's only sensible to do so.

Wugga fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 25, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Marie's a fun companion in 4 but she gets a lot more dull when you throw her in the synth body.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Arcade or Raul for me because their voice acting is top notch and I enjoy their personal quests. Veronica is also good during her personal quest but outside of it she feels too much like she was designed as a Felicia Day insert-bubbly-pixie-nerd-girl-here stock character. Nowhere near as bad as her Tallis character in Dragon Age 2, mind you, but she really only shines during "I Could Make You Care".

Cass should have been voiced as more of a drunk when you consider all the pissed off stuff coming out of her mouth.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I've always played the Fallout 4 games without a companion, so I was pleasantly surprised with Nick Valentine and usually default to him on my playthroughs. He always comes to Far Harbor with me.

I also like Hancock for how he sees the Commonwealth outside of Goodneighbor and MacCready because I'm a fan of Matthew Mercer.

It's such a bummer that only Nick got extra dialogue in any of the DLC's. At the very least you should have gotten some specific lines from taking a companion (especially Preston) to Nuka-World.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The best companion in 3 is Charon probably I guess

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
RL-3 would have been good if it wasn't for him being tied to the insipid morality system.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I like having Marcus as a companion, simply because I can't have too much of Michael Dorn's voice in my life.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I loved playing as a gay dude in New Vegas. Flirting with Arcade was actually fun, and I love the awkwardness of shooting Cass down when she thinks I'm into her.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
F4 has some great companions. Nick Valentine is a better main character than the actual PC, Codsworth and Deacon both have jokes, Hancock compliments my 'take drugs, shoot bad people' playstyle well, and Maccready is pretty good too. I also think Preston isn't as bad as everyone says, he has this kinda 'optimism making overwhelming suicidal depression' thing his personal conversations hint at that gets lost under all of the bad radiant quests he sends you on.

I think it's the ladies in the cast that get really shortchanged. Piper's whole plucky reporter schtick is undercut by the fact that she never does any reporting and has no quests outside of interviewing you, Cait is very one-note and Curie is halfway to being a nexus waifu mod.

CobiWann posted:

It's such a bummer that only Nick got extra dialogue in any of the DLC's. At the very least you should have gotten some specific lines from taking a companion (especially Preston) to Nuka-World.

You...do? He hates you and leaves forever, or refuses to work with you if you save his group from the museum after the fact.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I would say Nick from 4 because he's well written, well acted, and is the closest the game gets to really exploring synths until Far Harbor .

Or Jericho from 3. He was a little one note, but he was fun one note. Plus i liked some of his back story even if his character didn't play on it much. Being a raider who lived long enough to settle down, retire, and even integrate into a community was neat, and could have been explored more

Hell, Porter Gage from Nuka World is in many ways Jericho 2.0.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the good companion in fo4 is drunken far harbor man

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I seriously can't remember any companions from 3, either. Except Dogmeat, I guess. Fawkes! She was in the game, and... was a super mutant.

Arcade was easily the most interesting companion from NV, imo. Lily and Raul were fun, and Veronica certainly blossoms in her companion mission. I tended to play alone in that one, though.

4 is much more of a tossup. For a game with a (well-deserved) reputation for "eh" writing, it's surprising how memorable the companions are. I think Valentine wins by default for being the most interesting character in 4, period, but Maccready, Piper, Curie, Codsworth, and Hancock are all pretty great, too. Cait is a little grating, Preston is alright, and certainly better as a companion than as a quest giver. Dogmeat is a good dog, and my friend. Strong sucks.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

3 had a military robot companion who was fun, but he was unlocked by an out of the way sidequest and required neutral karma

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
FO4 has a mod that replaces most things with zombies + increased spawns. It's very flexible and on survival, it makes it a fun zombie apoc game.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I liked the Ghoul companion in Fallout 3 whose first deed after you free him from his former master is blowing said master's head off with a shotgun.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
How could you guys forget the best F3 companion, Butch; your childhood bully and leader of the Tunnel Snakes. Not only was he only available with neutral karma like the robot, but he's the only companion without a default infinite ammo weapon, meaning if you want him to use anything other than a tiny switchblade you had to constantly resupply him? I assume the developers intended him as a joke, but I thought he was funny enough to travel with despite his overall uselessness. He could do your hair at least!

The problem with the F3 companions is that all of them except Charon and Dogmeat were gated by the inexplicably over-utilized karma system, so unless you were playing a specific way you'd only get the opportunity to use a couple. The good companions were also kinda boring (Fawkes was one and the other was Star Paladin Cross, who is hanging around the Citadel) and the other evil companion was useless in combat (Clover, the sex slave from Paradise Falls).

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Fawkes was the best with all the super mutant grunting and growling in every fight.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Ummm... Did Sully Mathis always raid naked and I just forgot since my last play-through or did I just roll an awesome random number?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I thought Goris from Fallout 2 was considered the best companion.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it's Cass, cuz cowboy hats and combat shotguns are purestrain fallout.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Boone, cuz he rarely talks, his perk is useful, and he typically killed everything before I even saw it coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

jfood posted:

it's Cass, cuz cowboy hats and combat shotguns are purestrain fallout.

While not my overall favorite, Cassidy is a solid choice! She is by far my favorite non-dog non-robot companion. Her personal quest was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed her commentary. Her perk is low-key awesome too.