Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

goferchan posted:

What are my goals after winning my first Deathstate run? I also unlocked the Dark World or whatever in World 3 and now the portals are spawning. I guess I want to try and win with all the Desecration altars activated now? I'm still missing a couple characters

edit also man the flavor text is so good. I can't tell what unlocks the [redacted] portion of the text in the bestiary, it's there for some guys but not others, I guess I just need to kill more?

Even Desecration level 1 is murder, good luck. I recommend doing 1 until you win it, then 2, etc.

And yeah, I believe the redacted text is unlocked via killing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Is going through an Insanity Portal functionally the same as starting a run at Desecration 3? I noticed that the altars don't seem to show up there (although who knows because I haven't cleared the first world lol, those revenge bullets make the basic skeletons/bats a loving mess)

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

packetmantis posted:

I tried A Robot Named Fight and I was... not impressed. It's literally just an ugly brown reskin of Super Metroid, I don't understand the appeal. :confused: (Also Deathstate is one of my favorite games ever, everyone should buy it)

That's basically it. Its a Super Metroid randomizer (without all the annoying rom hacking) and yeah I wish it had a bit more variety in its monster/color pallete. Still pretty good for a one man dev shop.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Jordan7hm posted:

This one is good.

It is, but once you figure it out you run out of content pretty fast. Still felt like I got my moneys worth.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Pilot's lockpick seems to be a lot more successful. I did 3 runs and only broke 2 chests. then I loving died on the dragun in a run I had mimic tooth necklace and ring of chest friendship. so salty.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It took me an embarrassing amount of time before I realized that you don't aim in deathstate.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Harminoff posted:

It took me an embarrassing amount of time before I realized that you don't aim in deathstate.

You aim by positioning yourself so that the enemy you want to hit is the closest one. :v:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

dis astranagant posted:

Actually looks more like we all jumped on it several months later after the lead dev fessed up ITT around page 386.

It me!

Warms my heart to see all this Deathstate love :allears: Goon roguelike thread best thread.

I’m sad to report that due to life stuff I’ve moved on to another company, and unfortunately don’t own any part of my work on DS. :guinness: But - I’m happy to talk about it or answer any questions I remember the answer to!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Interesting...well somebody better beat some secrets out of that guy, because I'm still not sure what the whole "meteor" thing in the latest update does.

Meteor is mostly just a different level rule - the falling mummies - although it ties into a bit of lore. Eventually it was supposed to lead into some more new content but that work was only ever about half done.

goferchan posted:

Is going through an Insanity Portal functionally the same as starting a run at Desecration 3? I noticed that the altars don't seem to show up there (although who knows because I haven't cleared the first world lol, those revenge bullets make the basic skeletons/bats a loving mess)

It’s Desecration 3+. There are a few things that are worse than vanilla 3 (I can’t remember what, specifically), and, of course, it’s on from jump. All the 3 specific stuff can still happen in insanity, too, iirc.

Harminoff posted:

I hope you felt like a badass before it dawned on you!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

superh posted:

Warms my heart to see all this Deathstate love :allears: Goon roguelike thread best thread.

I’m sad to report that due to life stuff I’ve moved on to another company, and unfortunately don’t own any part of my work on DS. :guinness: But - I’m happy to talk about it or answer any questions I remember the answer to!

Own it in your heart: Deathstate is incredibly cool and one of the best designed games in its class, and you did a cool thing by working on it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

victrix posted:

Flamebreak is the other one I couldn't remember

https://store.steampowered.com/app/399640/Flamebreak/

Twin stick roguelite arena battler

This one is pretty fun, I played it for a bit. For :10bux: you can definitely do worse. It's not super complicated or anything but it was a good time-waster.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I played a bit more Scavenger SV-4 and had my best run by far with 140k points.

Noteworthy events:
- My rover brought back a hostile alien, as happens sometimes, but this time I was keeping a close eye on its inventory while down on the ground and actually saw it appear on board when the cargo bay opened to pick up something else. I determined that you can't asphyxiate it, so I ended up just flushing it into space as normal.
- After that, the next several rover landings got swarmed by about half a dozen of those things! I shot them with the laser and picked up the bodies, which are unfortunately worth next to nothing.
- I also found two technical manuals (one about biology and one about lasers), and some cartographic data, for the first time ever. It was very badly damaged, though, and I didn't want to sit around waiting for it to finish researching, so I have no idea what was on it since SV-4 doesn't have post-game item identification.
- I found the city again and this time managed to get all the loot back to the ship intact. I researched it and got a historical record talking about how the "warbeasts" got out of control and ate all the builders and engineered ecological maintainers, causing total ecosystem collapse, despite the attempts of the surviving builders to build robotic defences. Between this and the time-series map of four factions at war being gradually dominated by a single faction that then collapses, do I have all the storyline, or is there more to find out?

In a separate run I managed to kill myself by putting the rover in the garage, remotely opening the rover airlock door, and then pressing "launch rover" while in the garage.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I've been playing C:DDA again and I caught the flu, so I sat in my house for a week feeling sorry for myself, eating junk food, and reading about DIY home repair.

Eventually I got bored and went off to check out a regional school, where I was murdered by a terrifying mutant child with giant black eyes while collecting candy from the desks.

C:DDA is great.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

In a separate run I managed to kill myself by putting the rover in the garage, remotely opening the rover airlock door, and then pressing "launch rover" while in the garage.

Futuristic engineering with no failsafes is a great recipe for amusing stories. :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

All this Deathstate chat got me to play it some more and I just beat it with the Eye and yes, yep, the Eye IS my favorite character. :allears:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Played some more Gungeon today, I'm really enjoying the bosses design, they are so cheesy :allears:

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Gatling Gull always gets a smile from me, partly because of the hilarious expressions he makes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The best is the bullet in purple with the bullet king. He cries if he actually lives through the whole fight.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Digirat posted:

The best is the bullet in purple with the bullet king. He cries if he actually lives through the whole fight.

You killed his boss/best friend :smith:. He gets SO MAD if you hit him, though...

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Been awhile since I played Deathstate, but IIRC I found Desecration 2 to be vastly harder than Desecration 1. I think it was because the damage breakpoint ticked such that all enemies effectively did double damage, and so health pickups couldn't even remotely keep pace with my average rate of health loss.

Game's v. good though

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Quicksilver6 posted:

You killed his boss/best friend :smith:. He gets SO MAD if you hit him, though...

He is actually the king's worst nightmare. just waiting for his moment to take the king down himself.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I ended up looking up some light SV-4 spoilers to see if I was "done". Mechanical spoilers for anyone else wondering:

- The world generator randomly picks one of four backstories for the world, so it's not "done" until you've read all four.
- There are also three "hazards" that the rover can bring back onto the ship and that threaten your character directly, so a completionist might want to try to find all three of those too. You can find at most one on each run.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Own it in your heart: Deathstate is incredibly cool and one of the best designed games in its class, and you did a cool thing by working on it.

are there any other single-stick shooters out there

i mean deathstate owns but idk if it has much in the way of peers lmao

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Depends on what you mean by single stick shooter. Just about every arcade shooter could fit under that term.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tollymain posted:

are there any other single-stick shooters out there

i mean deathstate owns but idk if it has much in the way of peers lmao

I've been mentally comparing it to the twin stick shooters, and honestly I like it way, way better than Nuclear Throne.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly those two are about as different as you can get while remaining top-down shooters w lots of enemies and randomly generated levels

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ToxicFrog posted:

I ended up looking up some light SV-4 spoilers to see if I was "done". Mechanical spoilers for anyone else wondering:

- The world generator randomly picks one of four backstories for the world, so it's not "done" until you've read all four.
- There are also three "hazards" that the rover can bring back onto the ship and that threaten your character directly, so a completionist might want to try to find all three of those too. You can find at most one on each run.

The other two are cooler too. One of them is creepy as gently caress and the is "sorry, but i can't do that".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is Swords of Ditto good after the recent update?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Finally put together what I think might be the ultimate Hunter build in Card Quest; it's gone from my least to most favourite class:

Sharpshooting style, the arcane crossbow from the black castle in the forest, the rustic quiver that you start with, the archer mail from (I think) somewhere in the undead city, the vampire arrow from (iirc) the rooftops in the undead city, and basically any bag item. I favour the healing decoction, but the fairy companion is also an extremely strong pick if you'd rather take the increased stamina regen skill than the enhanced senses skill.

The vampire arrow is doubly strong for a crossbow build because it a) is a safely usable-every-fight source of free health and stamina restoration with no downside, and b) is one of the very very few crossbow Hunter things that can give you an arrow without costing anything and can be used even if you have no arrows, making it extremely precious when a run of bad luck forces you to blow all of your arrows on defensive cards. Combined with the archer mail, it makes you so effective at sustaining that shot-arrow-shot-arrow volleying style the arcane crossbow excels at that you'll sometimes slaughter bosses and their entire retinues before anyone gets a chance to do anything.

For instance, I one-turn-KOed the Troll Champion, and he's got like 70+ health.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Enlightenment just got out of EA, so I picked it up last night: https://store.steampowered.com/app/663300/Enlightenment/

It's a solid 7/10 isometric roguelike action game. The core gameplay is solid, it's surprisingly atmospheric thanks to the beautiful environments, and, for some reason, map generation feels the most roguelike of any action roguelike I've played. I can't put my finger on that last point, but that's the impression that I get.

The gameplay is standard run and gun with dodging and a dedicated melee button. It doesn't exactly have NT or Synthetik's awesome gun feel, but the gun feel it has fits the bleak, post-apocalyptic desperation, not too earthshaking, but enough to reinforce the idea that your gun is the only thing between you and death...not counting the knife.

All guns seem to have randomly generated stats within their particular type. For instance, I've had two of the same assault rifles with different attack stats, bullet capacity, and RoF. I like the lack of predictability this adds, but it might not be everyone's cup o' tea.

You get secondary items with a post-apocalyptic/psychic feel that range from car headlights to blind enemies to a calming meditation stone that slows time. There's enough distance between these items' abilities that they add significant, but not necessarily game-changing, differences from run to run.

Enemies are pretty basic. So far, I've fought number of melee enemies that run right at me, big guys with shields to shoot around, and grenade throwers. Again, nothing mindblowing, but solid.

The environments and overall aesthetic are killer. The locations you move through really feel like a wide variety of places that would exist in a giant, Fallout-style bunker, from bars and pool halls to residential dorms to industrial zones. All of the environments are beautiful, in a decrepit, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sort of way. This genuinely surprised me.

The game has some obvious problems, though. There are definitely translation issues throughout it, and I keep stumbling on a bug that shows game text in another language. The load times between levels are pretty bad, even on an SSD. The knife alone can take you through the first level and most of the second, making guns seem pretty silly. The development schedule, throughout the EA period, has been glacial, and I don't really expect it to increase in speed.

This is the epitome of a 7/10 action roguelike to me. If you want an awesome experience, go for Synthetik instead. If you want something that feels like the video game equivalent of a B-movie, though, this is it. The most accurate comparison I can make to it is the Mad Max game released a few years back; it wasn't a special game, it had clear problems, and it felt like it was made with love by B-team talent, but what was fun about it surpassed all of that.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I got Card Quest a bit ago and I have to say, I loving love Card Quest. It's amazing to me how they really captured the feel of the different classes (even different archetypes within a class!). I've unlocked a couple subclasses for Rogue and Wizard (holy moly unlocking Hitman was rough) and am just starting Fighter and am blown away anew as I expected it to feel similar to Rogue. Nope, completely different pace and playstyle. I've just started messing with a berserker build and what a shift from the guardian school. On top of that, the amount of content (in terms of unlocks) is really stellar. Are they still actively developing? This is the type of game that I could see myself playing for a long, long time, even with just a drip-feed of content.

Edit: Also Oaken Shield+Troll Blood is the fuckin best, I'm just this mutating regenerating monster and it's incredible.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 25, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fighter: "your attacks only make me stronger"
rogue: "stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself"
hunter: "gently caress im out of arrows gently caress gently caress poo poo"
wizard: wizard

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

More like rogue: :boom: once you get demonling.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Greenman gaming is currently having it's summer sale, and Streets of Rogue and Dead Cells are both on sale. There's probably other relevant games also but those are the two I saw. Dead Cells is 20% off ($20) and Streets of Rogue is 34% off (~$10)

Mithross fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 26, 2018

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I like Deathstate a lot but I am still incredibly bad at actually dodging as opposed to walking into the bullets. Almost makes me want to make a game where you have to bait the enemies into hitting you to survive.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gelatinous cube roguelike

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Enter the Gungeon seems as brutal as it ever was

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Johnny Joestar posted:

gelatinous cube roguelike

This is definitely better than the 'destined hero whose only successful pursuit in life was pissing all of his trainers off finds a magic shielding ring' idea I had. I am now picturing a sentient cube that can spit stuck weapons and spells back at foes and I like it a lot.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I played a 7drl game a while back where you played as a grue that was pretty interesting. You had to avoid adventurers' lamps and sneak up behind them to eat them.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

AttackBacon posted:

I got Card Quest a bit ago and I have to say, I loving love Card Quest. It's amazing to me how they really captured the feel of the different classes (even different archetypes within a class!). I've unlocked a couple subclasses for Rogue and Wizard (holy moly unlocking Hitman was rough) and am just starting Fighter and am blown away anew as I expected it to feel similar to Rogue. Nope, completely different pace and playstyle. I've just started messing with a berserker build and what a shift from the guardian school. On top of that, the amount of content (in terms of unlocks) is really stellar. Are they still actively developing? This is the type of game that I could see myself playing for a long, long time, even with just a drip-feed of content.

Edit: Also Oaken Shield+Troll Blood is the fuckin best, I'm just this mutating regenerating monster and it's incredible.

Sad to say the developers said it didn't make sense to keep developing for the PC market. This was on the steam discussion forum some time back. Some light internet sleuthing didn't bring up anything outside of Card Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what this means is the irons p loving hot for somebody to strike w an inspired game that has modular dlc