Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The combat in Slaps and Beans is probably a bit simplistic for people serious about their beat em ups but as someone whose family watched the Trinity movies a decent bit as a kid I've had a big smile on my face for the few stages I've played so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Superstar/Ultra and Planet Robobot are the best of the traditional games, the worst are Squeak Squad and Star Allies and they're not even that bad, just by-the-numbers.

Of the spinoffs, I really like Kirby's Dream Course and Canvas Curse and never cared for Kirby's Pinball Land.

I can't believe you'd call star allies one of the worst.

Star allies is getting hurt by reviewers because it's short for a $60 Kirby game but it won't be long before it's easy to find on sale for $40 and I can imagine it's one of the first Nintendo games to be a Nintendo Selects (along with botw and splatoon, and arms).

Come on. Kirby dreamland 1 exists with no powers and a less than 1 hour campaign with no coop. The only reason to like it is nostalgia.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
OG Dreamland is fine for what it is, and if you play on the extra mode it's actually pretty fun.

Star Allies is the weakest iteration of the style of game they've been making since the Wii game - it's not a bad game but it's a big letdown coming off the back of Robobot, and the constant character updates are wasted on a game with so little to do.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

OG Dreamland is fine for what it is, and if you play on the extra mode it's actually pretty fun.

Star Allies is the weakest iteration of the style of game they've been making since the Wii game - it's not a bad game but it's a big letdown coming off the back of Robobot, and the constant character updates are wasted on a game with so little to do.

Dreamland 1's Extra Mode is still probably one of the hardest Kirby games ever made. As for worst, as someone else said there hasn't really been an explicitly bad Kirby game per se but I personally didn't care much for Tilt 'n Tumble (the motion controlled GBC game).

I wish they'd port Air Ride one day as it's the only Kirby game I still haven't played.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Tilt n Tumble ruled, I'd love a Switch port/remake

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Tilt n Tumble ruled, I'd love a Switch port/remake

Oh it's not a bad game by any stretch, it's just probably the one I liked the least (though then again I only played it through emulation with the motion controls mapped to the d-pad so I imagine it would be a little better on an actual GBC).

Apparently there were plans for a Gamecube sequel but it wound up getting canceled.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"Go Vacation" seems to be Bamco trying to fill the Wii Sports Resort gap on the Switch? Might not be a bad thing

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it's just an HD version of an old Wii game of the same name, idk if they've added anything new

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Yeah, this is pretty accurate, and this coming from a person that loves Kirby games, and enjoyed all of Star Allies.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
From the video game and crab legs deals thread:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Larryb posted:

Oh it's not a bad game by any stretch, it's just probably the one I liked the least (though then again I only played it through emulation with the motion controls mapped to the d-pad so I imagine it would be a little better on an actual GBC).

Apparently there were plans for a Gamecube sequel but it wound up getting canceled.

Ok yeah playing it without the motion controls would be rough. They're really well done, the only problem I had was that the GBC's screen was hard to see.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch the GDQ run where the guy plays it on a GameCube and GB Player.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't hate Star Allies at all, as a huge Kirby fan I think that they did sacrifice a bit of the game's integrity to make it a constant multiplayer experience. The amount of fun you have with the game is directly proportional to the amount of humans that are playing with you, I feel. I do think that the next main-series title needs to shake up the formula a little bit. Maybe a new Amazing Mirror-type game?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Ok yeah playing it without the motion controls would be rough. They're really well done, the only problem I had was that the GBC's screen was hard to see.

Yeah, that makes sense. I had a similar experience with Mass Attack when that first came out but then I replayed the game years later on the Wii U's Virtual Console and wound up loving it.

Not a huge fan of Canvas/Rainbow Curse either, mostly due to the fact that the control scheme means your hand is covering part of the screen half the time and there are points where Kirby either will not move onto the lines you draw or go bouncing off in the wrong direction. The vehicle segments in the latter were kind of fun though (I kind of wish there was a way to play as Waddle Dee in 1 player mode to be honest).

But yeah, Robobot is probably one of the best games in the series (though the control scheme of the 3DS games where A is jump and B is attack always seemed kind of weird to me) with Super Star coming in as a close second. While I realize some don't really care for it I really enjoyed Epic Yarn as well and consider it one of the few spinoff games where Kirby is probably the least hampered by the new gimmick attached (in a sense it kind of harkens back to Dreamland 1, specifically in your main form of attack being catching enemy attacks and throwing them back at them).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 26, 2018

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Alxprit posted:

I don't hate Star Allies at all, as a huge Kirby fan I think that they did sacrifice a bit of the game's integrity to make it a constant multiplayer experience. The amount of fun you have with the game is directly proportional to the amount of humans that are playing with you, I feel. I do think that the next main-series title needs to shake up the formula a little bit. Maybe a new Amazing Mirror-type game?

Planet Robobot totally shook up the formula in an absolutely great way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They port Robobot to Switch. :colbert:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Star Allies is one of the lesser games purely by not being in 60fps imo. It’s still climbing the ladder though just because of the awesome free DLC it’s getting.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i wouldn't say star allies is as dull as return to dreamland (my least favorite kirb) but it's close and is a pretty big dropoff from triple deluxe and especially robobot

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sakurazuka posted:

Watch the GDQ run where the guy plays it on a GameCube and GB Player.

isn’t this bad for the GB player disc though

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

isn’t this bad for the GB player disc though

I don't think it spins after it loads up the first time.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Phantasium posted:

I don't think it spins after it loads up the first time.

yeah you can totally just take out the disc once the game is loaded, just like animal crossing

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

absolutely anything posted:

i wouldn't say star allies is as dull as return to dreamland (my least favorite kirb) but it's close and is a pretty big dropoff from triple deluxe and especially robobot

I’d agree except RTD at least is in 60fps so it feels smoother to play. I don’t understand why they made Star Allies in 30fps on much more powerful hardware when RTD and the 3DS games were all 60.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
All for those amazing Kracko graphics.

Star Allies gets major points just for bringing back Gooey and Adeline/Ribbon though, its just so chock full of neat stuff, I only wish guest star mode was a bit shorter or more remixed since playing the same levels constantly does get old.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I saw a news item that said they’re adding the ability to continue with anyone in guest star allies, instead of having to start over when you switch characters. that’ll be nice since right now you have to go all the way through with one character before you can mix it up without losing progress.

I haven’t booted the game in a while; have they added anyone since marx and the animals? I get the impression they’re revealing all these things for an update that’s yet to drop but maybe i just missed a notification.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
What's all the DLC coming out? All I see is a couple playable characters.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

The DLC is Adeline & RIbbon, Daroach, and Dark Meta Knight plus the Guest Star mode changes b_d said and it comes out tomorrow.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's out right now and you should all play as Dark Meta Knight.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alxprit posted:

It's out right now and you should all play as Dark Meta Knight.

Is there anything significantly different gameplay wise between him and regular Meta Knight?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yes.

They wouldn't have hyped him up and then just made a palette swap of mk.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah his moves are completely different.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

b_d posted:

yeah his moves are completely different.

Good to know, is he better than vanilla MK then?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d agree except RTD at least is in 60fps so it feels smoother to play. I don’t understand why they made Star Allies in 30fps on much more powerful hardware when RTD and the 3DS games were all 60.

I think just from looking at it, it's obvious where that extra processing power went. The game is gorgeous, and there are, at times, a lot of characters or character details, as well as sophisticated lighting and depth of field. Being able to pump that out in 1080p is a good look

Kirby games usually have a lot of fx going on as well

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The game does look nice but I’d rather have some of those toned down for the game to hit 60.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

The game does look nice but I’d rather have some of those toned down for the game to hit 60.

If I had to guess, they were probably hoping the game would come across as miniatures in stop motion which typically don't hit anywhere near 60 frames

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

they don't come across as miniatures at all. anyway, they should all be ≤ 24fps and keyframes only with no tweening like guilty gear.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Kirby should've been some loving 69 fps so I could say the frame rate was, and I quote, "nice".

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

gently caress 60 fps if a game ain't running at 144 fps and sucking my dick it's worth jackshit

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Talking about what's the best Kirby game and no mention of Kirby 64 or Dream Land 3? I'm disappointed in you people.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Kirby 64 feels like a bizarre fever dream. Vaguely non Euclidean, unsettling, off-kilter....but still drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Star Allies feels rushed in most respects, plus it's their first Unreal Engine game, those factors probably better explain the framerate than any artistic choice.

They already did a game mimicking stop-motion, it's called Rainbow Curse and it's a gorgeous game marred by the necessity of having to look at it via the Wii U gamepad.