Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

This is absolutely terrorism

Starting out the day with the worst mode and worst maps hell yes!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I have bought the best hat in the game

The pork pie hat

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Turf War is the only good mode tho

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Turf & chill has its place but it has nothing of the highs of a game-winning play in ranked.

https://mm.bonzoesc.net/media_attachments/files/000/096/069/original/6beaa8138cfd21e6.mp4

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Clam Blitz makes me sad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GANDHITRON posted:

Also, I still can't aim for poo poo.

Sploosh-o-matic, my man.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Clam blitz loving rules thanks for listening.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I was still "only" A+ in Clam Blitz last night and oh boy I kind of feel bad about it. The only two times I felt like I was struggling I found out it was 3v4 lol.

Not knowing when to retreat seemed to be the general flaw. I've got you tracked and painted both paths between you and I...and you still go for it *SPLAT*. Also noticed a lot more dualies and people jumping around constantly but predictably a lot of the time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zeruel posted:

Clam blitz loving rules thanks for listening.

It needs some tweaks but it’s really fun when both teams clearly know what to do. I had a lot of intense close games on it last night.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To me, Clam Blitz stands out as the ranked mode that is really begging for voice chat to reach its actual potential. Not that Splatoon 2 needs voice chat in solo queue ranked mode--the last thing I need is to be yelled at by some random kid--but all of the other ranked modes are straightforward enough in their objectives that it's not too hard to coordinate (mostly) wordlessly.

Clam Blitz can work that way, too, but it's a step or two higher on the complexity scale than "stay on the tower, keep enemies off," "support your team's Rainmaker carrier," and "shoot the square." That said, I suppose it's also more possible for one person to be the hero in Clam Blitz if neither team knows what they're doing, so maybe it evens out, I dunno.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't understand what makes the basket drop or raise

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Its the football

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurtofan posted:

Because he used the extra parts to make Judd's cat friend.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

When someone collects 10 clams, they turn into a big clam football thing. Throwing that at the enemy's basket will lower the shield and let everyone on your team throw clams (or footballs) into it until the timer expires. When the enemy's basket is open, yours is invulnerable, and vice versa.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Also the football scores an amount of points for your team so just throwing it in isn't a total waste either.

Just bought Octo Expansion. Going away for a week, so it should be a fun thing to get into between increasingly disinteresting bouts of Mario Odyssey and whenever I'm not in the apartment.

If the platforming is really that good and challenging I think I'll like it, that's pretty much the best thing about Odyssey, the world's are novel at worst and super nostalgic at best.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

When someone collects 10 clams, they turn into a big clam football thing. Throwing that at the enemy's basket will lower the shield and let everyone on your team throw clams (or footballs) into it until the timer expires. When the enemy's basket is open, yours is invulnerable, and vice versa.

And I believe putting clams in extends the timer, and when their basket closes a big football for them falls right out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

And I believe putting clams in extends the timer, and when their basket closes a big football for them falls right out.

yes

and also there is a break point where you need a lot of clams before you can start scoring points after the first time. It works a bit like the tertiary timer in splat zones, but I can't remember exactly how it works.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

The Bloop posted:

yes

and also there is a break point where you need a lot of clams before you can start scoring points after the first time. It works a bit like the tertiary timer in splat zones, but I can't remember exactly how it works.

IIRC, after you throw clams in and their basket goes back in, you have to clear a point buffer that's 1/clam and 10/football you threw in.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The penalty score is just equal to half of points you tossed in (this includes the points you score to clear the penalty buffer).

This also does mean that's it's possible to just give the enemy team a free power clam if the penalty buffer is big enough, so you really don't want to be making potshots at the basket. You want to making big pushes with your team to score a lot of points.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fetus posted:

The penalty score is just equal to half of points you tossed in (this includes the points you score to clear the penalty buffer).

This also does mean that's it's possible to just give the enemy team a free power clam if the penalty buffer is big enough, so you really don't want to be making potshots at the basket. You want to making big pushes with your team to score a lot of points.

Yeah, that's good advice. It was the math I didn't remember. Half? It means that after a really big push where you get 60 points or something, it's probably best to play defensive until and unless you get a huge opportunity like a team wipe

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just hope you have somebody on your team with roller ball bc it breaks the game completely

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/LogothX/status/1021974605534244868

I can't believe that worked.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Harrow posted:

When someone collects 10 clams, they turn into a big clam football thing.

I'm now extremely upset that players do not actually turn into a big clam football and dunk themselves into the basket.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Veemo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, this is why it feels like Clam Blitz was designed with a much higher degree of coordination in mind than any of the other ranked modes. It's significantly more punishing if your team doesn't understand the intended strategy. When it goes well, I think it's a lot of fun, but when you're the only one on your team who seems to understand that it's all about coordinated pushes and everyone else is just loving around on their own, it's incredibly frustrating.

Obviously the other modes require coordinated pushes, too, but because their rules are so much simpler it doesn't take much to actually coordinate. "Everyone paint the square" is a lot easier to understand right away than the whole process that is Clam Blitz.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Splashdown should pop Baller

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I miss the Kraken. I wanna see what it'd look like for an Octoling.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I miss the Kraken. I wanna see what it'd look like for an Octoling.

I too miss the sniper get out of jail free card and the bullshit tower nonsense that the Kraken brought into play.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/Dreweyes/status/1022493333866852352

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dare I buy a second Splatoon Yetee?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Didn’t even think twice before hitting the purchase button :retrogames:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Octo straight-up looks like it’s leaving skid marks but I snagged it anyway

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

The Bloop posted:

Dare I buy a second Splatoon Yetee?

Didn't notice this, thanks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Getting clam blitz shellendorf 12 times in a row makes me want to throw my switch off a 20 story building

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanted to get to X rank CB since I made it to X in everything else and I'm sitting at S+5, and I thought more time with it would make me like it more but no. 10+ hours of nothing but CB and I hate it more than ever and may have to forever live with the imbalanced mark on my stats sheet....

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Think of it as a sign of protest against the injustice that is Clam Blitz.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

At least salmon run opens in 20 minutes :woomy:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

In Training posted:

I wanted to get to X rank CB since I made it to X in everything else and I'm sitting at S+5, and I thought more time with it would make me like it more but no. 10+ hours of nothing but CB and I hate it more than ever and may have to forever live with the imbalanced mark on my stats sheet....
Same, but just S rank, because i'm not as good.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

im x rank in salmon run

i love it so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really hope they do a salmon run expansion, or add something in general when the online switches from free to paid in this. I mean I'm a Splatoon freak, as is anybody probably still checking this thread regularly, so I'll be paying day 1. but for a lot of people they're gonna wanna see some new stuff to justify the sudden price bump