Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Diogines posted:

You turn on your side to Uncle Jorah and say "WELL MAYBE IF EVERYONE IN MY GODDAMN LIFE WOULD STOP BEING SO CRYPTIC WITH ME I WOULD KNOW WHAT TO DO WHO THE HELL ARE YOU WHERE THE HELL AM I WHERE THE gently caress IS MY DOG AND WHAT IS GOING ON!?"

Still the most succinct and honest thing Enkidel has ever voted to say.

edit - yessssss perfect thing for the top of a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Dog Kisser posted:

I'm super tempted to run a game where the game's already done and it's just an extended postmortem Q&A session. Just answering every question and backstory reference, no matter how vague or nonsensical, and try to see if we can build a story backwards from there.

You should look into Microscope. You've kinda just described it.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

rex monday posted:

You should look into Microscope. You've kinda just described it.

Pretty much, actually. I wouldn't use a structured system, though - I'd just wing it

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Dog Kisser posted:

Also I for one would TOTALLY love just a full Ur wiki with all the minutae I could possibly want!

Oh, you mean like the official Paradise Lost Wiki?

I work on it from time to time, mostly adding new WORDS that we come across. Most sections are in serious need of a revamp or update however. So if anyone feels like contributing, well, there it is!

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Diog, I would like to echo five-years-ago you in that I'm sad that you never got to write an update where Ishamal just looks at Enkide-in-Snarls next to Snarls-in-Enkidel and is just so, so, so disappointed and confused.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 26, 2018

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

It is a great hope of mine that Diog's will includes a clause to release setting info and notes about all his works. I would prefer to get my hands on them sooner but I think death might be the only way he'll give them up.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Oh, you mean like the official Paradise Lost Wiki?

I work on it from time to time, mostly adding new WORDS that we come across. Most sections are in serious need of a revamp or update however. So if anyone feels like contributing, well, there it is!

I actually updated the OG balls page a few weeks ago. It needs more work, but at least it now correctly notes who has died and how.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Wait, who if any Melachim are associated with Sparrows/Eagles again? Since that's who uncle Jorah is.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Wait, who if any Melachim are associated with Sparrows/Eagles again? Since that's who uncle Jorah is.

I think we have been assuming that one was Xuriel?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, I think Xuriel was associated with birds. The wiki might know, actually.

E: Well the wiki says that Xuriel is "friend to birds" but doesn't mention a creator. I'm not sure if that's accurate though.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I think we can fairly definitively state that that whole incident is responsible for 90% of Enkidel's lack of reverence towards the Melachim. Watching our talking goat spirit animal fistfight our ghost-uncle while they screamed about the merits of birds versus goats always left an impression on me that the Melachim were basically just semi-omnipotent doofuses.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Zodiac5000 posted:

I think we can fairly definitively state that that whole incident is responsible for 90% of Enkidel's lack of reverence towards the Melachim. Watching our talking goat spirit animal fistfight our ghost-uncle while they screamed about the merits of birds versus goats always left an impression on me that the Melachim were basically just semi-omnipotent doofuses.
Or as a like to call them, future-Enkidels

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Well, seeing as you're jumping to invective and have the empathy of a rock, good luck with that!

Sorry for my harsh tone I was grumpy this morning. Enkidel is everybody’s and sometimes that can make us chafe since the story is so good dozens of different people will want to do/see dozens of different things. I get why that can be frustrating when things steer away from something you’d be interested in seeing sorry.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

BlackJosh posted:

Sorry for my harsh tone I was grumpy this morning. Enkidel is everybody’s and sometimes that can make us chafe since the story is so good dozens of different people will want to do/see dozens of different things. I get why that can be frustrating when things steer away from something you’d be interested in seeing sorry.

Ah no worries. I was grumpy too. I need to not read this thread at work, it's like getting a massage from naked Emma Watson with no happy ending.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Zodiac5000 posted:

Maybe lack of reverence, but I didn't lose any respect for them. They showed human emotions and therefore aren't total automons, I don't respect anything that can't exersize some semblance of free will.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

The game obviously runs in DnD 2e the best edition

ftfy, friend

the edition when lorebooks reigned supreme

e: besides, The Shekelesh is obviously not-Zakhara :colbert:

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 26, 2018

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Olothreutes posted:

It is a great hope of mine that Diog's will includes a clause to release setting info and notes about all his works. I would prefer to get my hands on them sooner but I think death might be the only way he'll give them up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Diog had a Pratchett Clause in his will, ordering all of his game material to be destroyed. Except for Jael's character sheet, which is just the word Sorry printed out on a piece of printer paper.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Zodiac5000 posted:

My impression was that it was more a departmental rivalry, and Azzazel was a former employee who didn't like where the company was going, wherein the Melachim took responsibility for the poo poo they did and the majority started cleaning everything up and established Baitel and the PtB; maybe it was the destruction of old Amalek that triggered this. Not everyone did though, such as Faramu/Fare, the Trio and Azzazel, and I think it revolves around how everyone wanted to plan around Asherah awakening.

The PtB think ONLY the Pantokrator can deal with Asherah, and intended to fix everything and hold out as long as possible to be saved. They're likely right in 99.7% of cases, and it's why they are so passive and helpful because they don't think it's worth expending energy for that 0.3% chance.
The Trio think Asherah can be resisted, and we should actively fight against her forces. Doing so deprives Asherah of some power and prolongs the period, and if the Pantokrator does come back then good. Xuriel might be apart of this group, along with Damat and Mereniel. Zepa as well maybe.
Faramu/Fare went turbomilitaristic, amping of the point of view of the Trio to the elevens. Use all means available to win, nothing is sacred because the Pantokrator is not returning and only death, destruction and eternal torment await.
7Bird probably has a similar point of view to the PtB but is trying to basically go stealth to survive. No active resistance, just if no one knows they exist Asherah can't rip those memories out and find them.
Azzazel is utterly fatalistic and thinks everyone is a fool. Asherah cannot be opposed, the Pantokrator is not returning and the only sensible course of action is to enjoy oneself before existence itself is eternally damned.
Fakmok seems to...just not acknowledge Asherah? Probably thinks he can take her right now and is completely, utterly wrong. Probably a Nephilim, probably a son of Amok and thus even more fallible and myopic.
Nusku is some small time player, maybe even just a mighty creation intelligent enough and powerful enough to convince others it's a god. May know of Asherah but utterly incapable of grasping the gravity of the situation. Probably asks for gems and minerals to be sacrificed to spite Fare and maybe a few Power Orbs get caught up in it.
I have no loving idea what motivates the northern dragons.
Orm is Orm. I know people like the snake but he's honestly a metric fuckton of nephesh bound up in being idle and devoid of emotional consideration should probably be eaten or sacrificed to El.

I think that covers everything?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Orm is a friend we should do what he wants FIND HER AND BRING HER HOME.

alpaca diseases posted:

ftfy, friend

the edition when lorebooks reigned supreme

e: besides, The Shekelesh is obviously not-Zakhara :colbert:

I ignore 2e because I think THAC0 is counterintuitive.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Olothreutes posted:

Hahaha honestly the last thing Diog needs is to give a motive for some goon to have him taken out!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Voting is closed. If anyone wants to do a count on a spreadsheet it would be appreciated. It would also increase the odds of an update tonight. Someone did a count but a whole bunch of people voted for more than one option and in this instance depending on what was voted for we may blend options.

if you volunteered account, please post let us know. Otherwise we will probably start in about an hour when we get home. Having a count waiting for us then means we will update sooner or be more likely to update.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

My impression was that it was more a departmental rivalry, and Azzazel was a former employee who didn't like where the company was going, wherein the Melachim took responsibility for the poo poo they did and the majority started cleaning everything up and established Baitel and the PtB; maybe it was the destruction of old Amalek that triggered this. Not everyone did though, such as Faramu/Fare, the Trio and Azzazel, and I think it revolves around how everyone wanted to plan around Asherah awakening.

The PtB think ONLY the Pantokrator can deal with Asherah, and intended to fix everything and hold out as long as possible to be saved. They're likely right in 99.7% of cases, and it's why they are so passive and helpful because they don't think it's worth expending energy for that 0.3% chance.
The Trio think Asherah can be resisted, and we should actively fight against her forces. Doing so deprives Asherah of some power and prolongs the period, and if the Pantokrator does come back then good. Xuriel might be apart of this group, along with Damat and Mereniel. Zepa as well maybe.
Faramu/Fare went turbomilitaristic, amping of the point of view of the Trio to the elevens. Use all means available to win, nothing is sacred because the Pantokrator is not returning and only death, destruction and eternal torment await.
7Bird probably has a similar point of view to the PtB but is trying to basically go stealth to survive. No active resistance, just if no one knows they exist Asherah can't rip those memories out and find them.
Azzazel is utterly fatalistic and thinks everyone is a fool. Asherah cannot be opposed, the Pantokrator is not returning and the only sensible course of action is to enjoy oneself before existence itself is eternally damned.
Fakmok seems to...just not acknowledge Asherah? Probably thinks he can take her right now and is completely, utterly wrong. Probably a Nephilim, probably a son of Amok and thus even more fallible and myopic.
Nusku is some small time player, maybe even just a mighty creation intelligent enough and powerful enough to convince others it's a god. May know of Asherah but utterly incapable of grasping the gravity of the situation. Probably asks for gems and minerals to be sacrificed to spite Fare and maybe a few Power Orbs get caught up in it.
I have no loving idea what motivates the northern dragons.
Orm is Orm. I know people like the snake but he's honestly a metric fuckton of nephesh bound up in being idle and devoid of emotional consideration should probably be eaten or sacrificed to El.

I think that covers everything?
Interesting theory. Would a second look at what Amok said about Asherah change it in any way?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

There used to be a wiki. What happened to the wiki?.
Do you mean the one linked to below most updates?

Dog Kisser posted:

The game obviously runs in DnD 4e, the best edition
How dare you!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Diogines posted:

Voting is closed. If anyone wants to do a count on a spreadsheet it would be appreciated. It would also increase the odds of an update tonight. Someone did a count but a whole bunch of people voted for more than one option and in this instance depending on what was voted for we may blend options.

if you volunteered account, please post let us know. Otherwise we will probably start in about an hour when we get home. Having a count waiting for us then means we will update sooner or be more likely to update.

I will count.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Diogines posted:

How dare you!

Quelle surprise. 4E is a perfectly fine combat simulator with a so-so other stuff simulator attached. Whereas all the other editions are horrible spreadsheet simulators, so it doesn't suprise me you like em. :colbert:

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

I ignore 2e because I think THAC0 is counterintuitive.

I refuse to believe that someone who plays one of the Enkidel-squirrels thinks this system is counter intuitive

It makes perfect sense and is relatively straightforward if you ask me :suicide:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Dog Kisser posted:

Quelle surprise. 4E is a perfectly fine combat simulator with a so-so other stuff simulator attached. Whereas all the other editions are horrible spreadsheet simulators, so it doesn't suprise me you like em. :colbert:
4e is a crime against humanity with no soul where every character is basically a wizard with numerous spell-like abilities. And the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting was ruined!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 27, 2018

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diqnol posted:

I will count.
Thank you.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Diogines posted:

Thank you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wqsHOJLrDejqqIAxj4GF8ynQ6Z3z7Lg-mBdfutrTAOY/edit?usp=sharing

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Want my D&D looking like an 80s aerobic workout video from a fantasy realm.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Diogines posted:

4e is a crime against humanity with no soul where every character is basically a wizard with numerous spell-lole abilities. And the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting was ruined!

And I submit it was Final Fantasy Tactics: The Boardgame and I loved that poo poo.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Dog Kisser posted:

I'm super tempted to run a game where the game's already done and it's just an extended postmortem Q&A session. Just answering every question and backstory reference, no matter how vague or nonsensical, and try to see if we can build a story backwards from there.

I would be super into this. In fact, there was an old goldmined thread where somebody did something similar, where the thread was 'reminiscing' about an old tabletop RPG, but I can't find it now.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines posted:

You and Uriah make your way a few blocks over towards the Street of Tanners, exactly where your Presence Sense(s?) point. You find the building the Anaki told you of, made of mud bricks it looks perfectly ordinary from the outside other than the fact it is a bit big. Weapons raised, you and Uriah open the door.

Within you find a number of dead men, several dead women and several children. All of them appear to have died recently, less than thirty in total, some have weapons and there are obvious signs of a struggle of some sort. "Fiends!" Uriah angrily cries "They will pay for this!" You don't examine the corpses for long but a brief examination would indict most were stabbed or bludgeoned to death, all of the corpses are fresh, hours old at most. It takes you only moments to find a latch in the floor hidden under a rug and you and Uriah swiftly descend down a sloping tunnel which seems to have been dug underneath the building. After a few dozen paces, Uriah hunched over and you nearly forced to crawl from the low ceiling, you find a chamber large enough to fit a hundred men or more with a few wooden support beams. There are no benches in the chamber and the floor, walls and ceiling are bare dirt. You find several extinguished torches within. At the far end of the chamber, laying in a heap against the entire earthen wall are...

Bones. Very obviously human bones. Many are burned but not all of them. None have flesh on them. The remains of hundreds of people. In front of the mound of bones is a tall stone statue of a humanoid creature with the head of some terrible bird like creature, claw-like-talons and a sets of folded wings on its back. Blood and viscera has been smeared on the statues mouth and two bloody, fresh human hearts lay cupped in between the hands it holds out in front of it. The statue is obviously of Fare and similar to the Bnaimokt idols though not identical. You recognize artistic features you might find in most Melachim statue in Ur. Directly in front of the statute is a stone altar atop which lay the corpses of two women, their chests torn open. The corpses are fresh as well. You see bronze loops on the sides of the altar you suspect were for chains as well as several cages in the chamber. With the number of bones here, have these cultists been at this for decades!?

With considerable rage Uriah cries out "ETANA! YOU SNIVELING COWARD! WHERE ARE YOU?!"

You have no obvious clues on where Etana or any of his followers are yet, other than a bit or blood in the street outside but it did not give any obvious hints on where they are, only that someone tracked some blood outside. Several doors in nearby buildings were open but you heard nor felt anyone nearby abd wherever they are, they left their temple totally abandoned? Is there a mass sacrifice or suicide someplace else or did they just... run away? Fare needs a higher caliber of cultists, clearly, Zepathans would never abandon their temple. You do strike a rather fearsome figure and the stories about you have spread far and wide in this corner of Ur. The Presence you felt is coming from the statue. This place is foul, poluted, it is unholy.

Where is Etana and his followers?

Filled with rage, you and Uriah are swift to grab the altar and statue and smash them into each other! The stone shatters and crumbled under your fury! You smash them again! And again! It does not take long but soon the statue and altar are little more than a pile of rubble, the cages have been smashed apart as well and what few other objects or pieces of furniture which were in the room have been torn asunder.

You and Uriah may both feel a little better now? Maybe.

Nothing has otherwise changed.

What do you do next?

1. Round 2 of voting. Same question. If you already voted you don't need to vote again. Option A is removed. Voting closes in an hour or less. Very possibly less. Next update will be tonight. If you change your vote please say what your old vote was, thank you.

A. Outraged, I and Uriah smash the altar and the statue and tear this place apart!

B. You can't hear or feel them, but, if they were far enough underground you wouldn't anyway. And not hundreds of feet either. Two dozen paces of solid dirt around them and you are pretty sure you wouldn't be able to Presence Sense(s?) normal humans, that is more than they would probably need and solid stone, less still. Could they be hiding in the city? Might they be hiding in some other building, cloaked by mystical means? You've not made any real search of this part of the city, search the streets and buildings nearby for clues.

C. Make for the east wall of the city, which is not far and scan the surrounding countryside. Your Presence Senses(?) will work better beyond the wall with you atop it, without it blocking you. If they fled east there may be tracks? There were no obvious signs of where they went on a very brief examination as you made your way here but you can be pretty confident you'd find tracks in the dirt beyond the city if they fled over the wall. If they left, could they have climbed over the wall, the closest way out of the city?

D. Make for the gate, south of you and search there. There may be tracks if they went through the city gate? There you will also be able to more easily sense for Presences beyond. The gate would likely be the easiest way out of the city, though not the closest.

E. Curse and scream and maybe yell.

F. Make for the palace. From what the Anaki said his people were looting it, you felt about a dozen people there? Maybe Nusku cultists left behind? Would they have more information?

G. Search for the handful of others you felt in the city, see if they know or saw anything.

H. Drag the altar and idol to the ruins of El's temple. Give up on the Fare cultists. Make offerings to El now.

I. Make an extended effort to Presence Sense nearby and listen very hard. Your previous probes were brief, with a more concerted effort might you find something?

J. Go smash your way into the palace vault with Uriah. Was the Anaki after gold as he claimed, or might there be something else down there?

K. You have no idea who the others in the city are aligned with. If anyone. You and Uriah round up everyone still alive in the city to find out if they are cultists too.

L. (Add on)Send Uriah to guard the Anaki.

M. Something else. Fill in.

[...]

Travic's Awesome Index: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&pagenumber=4080&perpage=40#post473373440

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

One of our players made a wiki about the game: http://sa-diogines.wikia.com/wiki/Paradise_Lost_CYOA_Wiki It has various bits of information, some of it is spot on, other bits are very wrong. If you find it difficult to keep track of the growing number of names and places in our game, the wiki has a good list.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 26, 2018

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Duplicate post.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C

Gee that sure was worth destroying a very valuable sacrifice, giving the cultists more time to run, and a few days worth of capycycles

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

C

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

C

Gee that sure was worth destroying a very valuable sacrifice, giving the cultists more time to run, and a few days worth of capycycles
I assure you that it took very little Capy-cycles to calculate this update, so we will do it again tonight, for sure.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Keeping my vote from before, but quietly plant a dagger on the remains of the statue.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Diogines posted:

4e is a crime against humanity with no soul where every character is basically a wizard with numerous spell-lole abilities. And the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting was ruined!

Forgotten Realms was bad from the start and at least you can see a progression from late-stage 3.5 to 4e, while 5e is basically three steps back from 3e plus a few good modern ideas stapled on, buoyed mostly by being the edition of choice for funny and entertaining podcasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Diogines posted:

It did produce one of my favorite trilogies of novels: Richard Baker's Blades of the Moonsea.

And I liked Swordmages :colbert: