Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean it's not like it's just Arlington. He still has a ~4 FIP in away parks, and as Inspector pointed out his hard contact has skyrocketed and his GB% has plummeted over the last three seasons. I don't think he's going to suddenly rediscover his front of the rotation upside or anything, but if he can be an innings eating 4-5 type he's miles ahead of Chatwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the problem here is wrigley in the summer is the best hitters park there is

even more than coors or arlington

i still love this move. very low risk.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

I mean it's not like it's just Arlington. He still has a ~4 FIP in away parks, and as Inspector pointed out his hard contact has skyrocketed and his GB% has plummeted over the last three seasons. I don't think he's going to suddenly rediscover his front of the rotation upside or anything, but if he can be an innings eating 4-5 type he's miles ahead of Chatwood.

He is better than Chatwood and the Cubs don't have to give up anything but money.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
are the Cubs gonna have room for Hamels once Darvish comes back

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Look, I don't care if Hamels is mediocre at best, he's still better than Tyler "sure, I'll improve your OBP for you!" Chatwood

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Darvish is still probably a month away and they can just move Montgomery to the pen or go with a 6-man rotation. The team has talked about giving Lester some rest in the second half if they can.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

He is better than Chatwood and the Cubs don't have to give up anything but money.

Don't get me wrong I like the move, especially considering it saves the Cubs farm from significant plundering. Also if by some miracle Cubs do hit on the ~1% chance the Hamels returns to form they can pick up his 2019 option too. That said I'm operating under the assumption he'll be bought out.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

let's not forget moving to the nl central from the al will do wonders. i'm also under the impression texas's defense is kind of rear end, which would really hurt a pitcher like him

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Enjoy Des Moines Tyler!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

guys
guys
guys
guys

hole camels

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

R.D. Mangles posted:

guys
guys
guys
guys

hole camels

Lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have said Mole Mammals since 2005 or so

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

R.D. Mangles posted:

guys
guys
guys
guys

hole camels

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I want to make it abundantly clear this is a joke probation.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hey, first NL team to 60 wins. Ignore the AL behind the curtain.

Maybe Hamels and Darvish are Ranger Friends and he can fix him

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poque posted:

Hey, first NL team to 60 wins. Ignore the AL behind the curtain.

Maybe Hamels and Darvish are friends and he can fix him

See, you're doing well with Chatwood, no reason to get rid of him!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poque posted:

Hey, first NL team to 60 wins.

Beware last time I made a post like this the Brewers 2014 season happened.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

jit bull transpile posted:

Please don't remind me of that cursed season. Literally Travis Ishikawa.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

I want to make it abundantly clear this is a joke probation.

I look forward to the qqcs thread about this

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Hamels is clearly not anywhere near what he used to be but I'm still OK with him being a game 4 starter over Chatwood, Montgomery, or anyone on short rest. Going from the 6th worst team in defensive efficiency to the 5th best and switching leagues will probably smooth out that .296 BABIP as well.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

jit bull transpile posted:

I'm cool with that happening to the Brewers again

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Yep. Bye bye Chatwood.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ding dong Chatwood is dead

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Poque posted:

I'm cool with that happening to the Brewers again

It's currently happening to the Mariners and it sucks balls.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Your Taint posted:

Yep. Bye bye Chatwood.

outside of DL trickery I can't imagine the Cubs eating $25+ million in salary and waiving Chatwood.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
maybe we can keep Chatwood just to pinch run

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

outside of DL trickery I can't imagine the Cubs eating $25+ million in salary and waiving Chatwood.

I meant he'd probably be moved to the pen. They wouldn't eat that money. My fault for not being more clear.

Or they'd go to a six man rotation for a bit once Darvish comes back.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 27, 2018

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Your Taint posted:

Or they'd go to a six man rotation for a bit once Darvish comes back.

Probably this, I mean there's no way Joe Maddon would ever trust a recently acquired arm that walks a ton of peop..............oh gently caress.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Dakota Hudson pulled early from a minor league game and I live in terror that rather than an MLB debut if CarMart isn't back, he's instead being traded for bullpen help because the Cardinals refuse to accept a lost season.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Cole Hamels’ home and road splits this year are insane

When he’s away from the hitter friendly, literal outdoor oven that is Globe Life, he’s basically still pitching like a TORP.

Whoever ends up with him I think is going to be pleasantly surprised and I’m going to be disappointed if Daniels just gives him away for inconsequential salary relief.

:sigh: And it ended up happening. Congrats Cubs fans, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Hamels pitches way better for you guys. Globe "Outdoor Sauna" Life Park was really doing a number on him. I'm disappointed in Daniels just doing a salary dump and really hope we can get something of value for Kela.

Also: am I like the only Rangers poster left or something? Could've sworn there were like a half-dozen of us at least.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Baseball is the best.

https://twitter.com/DanielBrim/status/1022654058732179457

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ragnarok the Red posted:

:sigh: And it ended up happening. Congrats Cubs fans, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Hamels pitches way better for you guys. Globe "Outdoor Sauna" Life Park was really doing a number on him. I'm disappointed in Daniels just doing a salary dump and really hope we can get something of value for Kela.

Also: am I like the only Rangers poster left or something? Could've sworn there were like a half-dozen of us at least.

My guess is they'll be back when the Rangers are good again.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Someone should definitely trade for Kyle "just held the Red Sox to 1 run in 8 innings in fenway" Gibson. Send us some of your finest prospects!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Judge out for three weeks with a chip fracture in his wrist

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Pancakes posted:

Please don't remind me of that cursed season. Literally Travis Ishikawa.

Look man we're not the ones who left Michael Wacha out to dry in a win or go home game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Judge out for three weeks with a chip fracture in his wrist

Man that could have been way worse. Still sucks a lot. Fuckin' Royals.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Jonny Venters to Atlanta for international money slot, which apparently we have some of?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

welcoem back Jonny

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't care if Hamels gives up a million dongs or whatever. I cannot watch Tyler Chatwood walk 5000 guys per 5 innings anymore.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I mean I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah it's an arm that can't be worse than some of the other options and it didn't cost a prospect so sure? I don't see the details on the international slot yet but I'm assuming its in a year we were already crippled by the penalties so who cares.

• Locked thread