Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Thin Privilege posted:

On that note, that bullshit fight in Metal Gear Solid 3 (?) the one with Raiden That bullshit last fight with all those metal gears, I could NOT figure it out and the internet didn't help so I got so mad I threw my controller at the TV and broke it... luckily it was a small TV and afterwards I got a bigger one but regardless... gently caress that fight. I brought in my ps3 into work and had a coworker finish the game so I could see the ending... I was a loser :negative:

Dude there was literally no trick whatsoever to this fight.

You have the rocket launcher equipped. You shoot the robot's knee. You know that these are the only things because you're allowed to shoot, because the rocket launcher highlights these when you aim with it. This makes the robot sad. You shoot it in the face until you have to shoot it in one of the knees again. It dies.
Then one of the other robots jumps into the middle and you have to repeat this 10-20 times because the game makers thought this was a good idea. But the exact same strategy applies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm convinced Hank and Connor's segments were written by someone else. They're not good exactly, but they approach genuine attempts at science fiction with something resembling someone who knew what they were doing. Even if these tropes are well worn in this sub genre of science fiction (e.g. can robots feel empathy) it feels like it's at least trying, and has characters I give a poo poo about.

That's because they were! Fun fact:eng101:: Bryan Dechart and Clancy Brown did quite a bit of improv in their scenes together, and David Cage absolutely hated it because it went against his ~~vision~~.

Also, here's a question, why are there even child androids? Yeah yeah, for childless couples, whatever. The problem is that the game explicitly goes out of it's way to show that absolutely no one gives any emotional significance to any androids whatsoever until the events of the game (somehow, defying much of human nature, but David Cage's blatant sociopathy is another issue), and they're all seen as nothing more than appliances, tools, and property. So why are there child androids?

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Jul 27, 2018

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Chimney ain't gonna clean itself.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

PubicMice posted:

Also, here's a question, why are there even child androids? Yeah yeah, for childless couples, whatever. The problem is that the game explicitly goes out of it's way to show that absolutely no one gives any emotional significance to any androids whatsoever until the events of the game (somehow, defying much of human nature, but David Cage's blatant sociopathy is another issue), and they're all seen as nothing more than appliances, tools, and property. So why are there child androids?

Promotional material and material within the game literally says they made androids humanlike because it made people more likely to buy them and keep them in the home.

People buy stuff like realdolls and 'forever babies', what makes you think they wouldn't buy androids despite knowing that they're not quite real?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

There’s 3 areas to liberate in the game, and each area has 3 capture things for when you get to a certain % liberated. So it’s steady throughout the game but you always know when it’s going to happen and there’s only a set number.

Ah poo poo I didn’t know that. If I had, I wouldn’t have put off playing it for so long. I already had the north side guy capture me three times so that’s over now, right? So I can just bust up radio towers and have my bear maul people in peace?

bewilderment posted:

Dude there was literally no trick whatsoever to this fight.

You have the rocket launcher equipped. You shoot the robot's knee. You know that these are the only things because you're allowed to shoot, because the rocket launcher highlights these when you aim with it. This makes the robot sad. You shoot it in the face until you have to shoot it in one of the knees again. It dies.
Then one of the other robots jumps into the middle and you have to repeat this 10-20 times because the game makers thought this was a good idea. But the exact same strategy applies.

Yeah the 10-20-50 times thing is what made me break my TV because I thought I was doing something wrong and/or this is the stupidest loving end-boss battle in the universe. It felt like they just spawned uncontrollably and you could also see the next robots ready to come over in the background.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 08:45 on Jul 27, 2018

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Promotional material and material within the game literally says they made androids humanlike because it made people more likely to buy them and keep them in the home.

People buy stuff like realdolls and 'forever babies', what makes you think they wouldn't buy androids despite knowing that they're not quite real?

Then why does no one give a poo poo about androids? You see the massive disconnect, right?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

The cinematic slowmo whenever you do a special move in the updated Arkham Asylum is crazy excessive, especially for a combat system built around rhythm. I don’t remember it being this bad in the original.

Thin Privilege posted:

Yeah the 10-20-50 times thing is what made me break my TV because I thought I was doing something wrong and/or this is the stupidest loving end-boss battle in the universe. It felt like they just spawned uncontrollably and you could also see the next robots ready to come over in the background.
I love the way Raiden defeats an entire army of metal gears and everyone basically ignores it in the following cutscene. Yeah, good job with the robots kid, now it’s time to get chumped by a geriatric cowboy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Thin Privilege posted:

Same. I thought there was something else I was supposed to shoot that I was missing and that I was caught in a loop of never ending re-spawning gears. Fight sucked. It would have been better if you'd just fought one of them and/or it'd change forms and tactics when it takes enough damage.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

PubicMice posted:

Then why does no one give a poo poo about androids? You see the massive disconnect, right?

I haven't played Detroit (though the more I hear about it, the more curious I get, despite loathing Beyond and Heavy Rain), but I think it's plausible. Some people get weirdly attached to their Sony robot dogs, but as a society nobody would look twice at a pile of them in a dump.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

Ah poo poo I didn’t know that. If I had, I wouldn’t have put off playing it for so long. I already had the north side guy capture me three times so that’s over now, right? So I can just bust up radio towers and have my bear maul people in peace?

Yeah, worst case scenario the mission to kill the boss might start that way but it’s not going to be something that happens to you randomly.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

CordlessPen posted:

I haven't played Detroit (though the more I hear about it, the more curious I get, despite loathing Beyond and Heavy Rain), but I think it's plausible. Some people get weirdly attached to their Sony robot dogs, but as a society nobody would look twice at a pile of them in a dump.

As I understand, it's not "People don't really care about robots" and more "Everyone seems to loath their existence" and that's where the big disconnect comes from.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

bewilderment posted:

PubicMice posted:

Zoig posted:

As I understand, it's not "People don't really care about robots" and more "Everyone seems to loath their existence" and that's where the big disconnect comes from.

It’s literally the 30 seconds-first minute of the game: Androids took their jobs. And this is said multiple times throughout the game as well. Including major scenes.

Also, the world (real world and game world) is full of lots of different people. The old guy, who loves his android, and crazy guy, who hates his but is lazy, and the generic population, who may or may not like androids—hence why there’s an indicator of your public approval goes up or down, and cut scenes vary depending on whether the public starts to like androids or not. There’s also the Hank and Connor deal where Hank HATES HATES HATES robots but if you do it right he WONT shoot you in the face during the park cutscene cause he realizes robots are good sometimes.

The whole game is really well thought out, honestly. I think I said it before but I think Cage had a looooot of help making/ “directing” this one.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It honestly sounds like a straight rip off of the Android cyberpunk setting. I mean, none of the ideas are particularly fresh, but they way you're all talking about them sounds straight out of a Haas-Bioroid training vid or something.

e: like Connor sounds like he spends the whole game doing some of the stuff Floyd 2X3A7C gets up to.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Jul 27, 2018

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
D:BH is absolutely not well thought out, do not trust poo poo people said in press releases. David Cage literally thinks that plot holes are something you don't have to take care of as a writer.
He also calls them 'mcguffins,' which is actually a word that means 'item that the characters want to get' in nerd speak, but he seriously thinks "it's a mcguffin" is all the excuse he needs for poo poo like "why does everybody hate androids but still want android babies" and "How do androids take anything but lovely factory jobs when people want to lynch them in the street" and "there's a scene where a robot asks a black man if maybe he is the real monster, are you loving kidding me"

here's an interview where Cage proves he literally doesn't understand how writing works
----
Joystiq: "How about the Origami figure in Ethan's hand when he wakes up? I can't explain that."

David Cage: "I can. [laughs]"

J: "Would you like to explain it to me?"

DC: "Uh ... no."

J: "... Okay."

DC: "Actually, no, because this is what Hitchcock calls a MacGuffin. He said a very interesting rule is that you can only have one MacGuffin in a story. A MacGuffin is something that is not explained. And one is okay -- if you have three, then that story doesn't make any sense. But if you have something where you leave the audience space to, you know, try to understand and make up their own answers for that, that's fine. And I thought that worked in the context of Heavy Rain, not to explain but have people figure it out."
----
He got that word from a loving TVTropes article and he's trying to chalk it up to a Hitchcock reference, he's a hack.

I loving hate David Cage for making all this loving money and acting like a captain of industry and a Serious Author when he didn't write a functional plot if you put a shotgun to one of his cyber fuckdolls heads.

And it's no coincidence he made a game where robot loving is a major plot point, there's a hidden cutscene in Indigo Prophecy of him(his digital likeness) dancing with the poorly modeled female lead in her underwear. And how the also poorly modeled female lead of Heavy Rain's introduction is being chased by large men who keep trying to grab her in sexually aggressive ways while she's being beaten up, and she's in her underwear the entire sequence; later she is forced to strip at gunpoint after an interactive sequence of her 'getting sexy' by tearing her dress so you can see more skin. Cage once showed the scene off and was chanting "sexy sexy" during it.

David Cage is a loving creep and an actual, no-bullshit scourge on games-as-art.

Large fries and a root beer, please. Don't buy David Cage games, he's human scum.

Jukebox Hero has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Jul 27, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cage is french, he could hide his depravityy only so long

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

oldpainless posted:

Cage is french, he could hide his depravityy only so long

Cage is the most sleazy French scumball of all sleazy French scumballs

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You also forgot the prostitution scene in Beyond Two Souls in which a person threatens the main character to do sexual acts when they're fully homeless and desperate.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
you forgot how he ordered the 3d modelers to make a nude ellen page for beyond: two souls

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

spit on my clit posted:

you forgot how he ordered the 3d modelers to make a nude ellen page for beyond: two souls

Did he actually do this, or is it hearsay, because I hear this a lot but have not seen any actual proof. Because it's more likely that they just took a generic nude torso and put ellen page's head on it. Mostly because it's quicker and costs less.

Anyway in Detroit, it's bizarre how poorly people treat even their own androids. There's one quick seen where Markus is looking around and some guy is just beating his android, who is carrying his shopping, and pushing his face into the ground. Like, what? Most people don't treat their cars that poorly, why is it that once your equipment looks like a human, suddenly everyone wants to beat the poo poo out of it.

Edit: Like, for some reason, whenever this sort of story is told, everyone either becomes a moustache-twirling villain who would like nothing more than to crush the heads of these human-likes beneath their feet, or a saint who wants to see them become everything a human can be.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

spit on my clit posted:

Each time I hear about this Cage gets worse.

The version I choose to believe is that the "base" model is anatomically correct and they didn't bother removing the naughy bits when they made it Ellen Page.

Edit: Beaten.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Morpheus posted:

Did he actually do this, or is it hearsay, because I hear this a lot but have not seen any actual proof. Because it's more likely that they just took a generic nude torso and put ellen page's head on it. Mostly because it's quicker and costs less.

Yep, dataminers went into the debug mode and found the full model. Quite a big fuss about it for a while, even

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

Yep, dataminers went into the debug mode and found the full model. Quite a big fuss about it for a while, even

I think the point of contention isn't that the model existed, but that Cage personally ordered his team to make a nude model of Ellen Page.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the point of contention isn't that the model existed, but that Cage personally ordered his team to make a nude model of Ellen Page.

it being proven to exist is proof that cage really did order his team to do it, which is the point i am trying to make here.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

it being proven to exist is proof that cage really did order his team to do it, which is the point i am trying to make here.

I don't really see how that's the case.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't really see how that's the case.

what do you mean by that?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I still love how they released the FBI training sequence of Beyond: gently caress These Games Stupid Subtitles as the demo because it's literally the closest thing to 'gameplay' in the whole stupid thing, and it's a complete anomaly you never see again

Other Cage Sex Weirds: the weird DIY home surgeon killer in Heavy Rain stabs Sexy Sexy Girl in the vagina with a power drill if you fail the QTE and I'd call that unintentional if he didn't do stuff like that in literally every game he makes

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Prey Mooncrash: They have a loudspeaker message by Alex Yu, but it's obviously a different and less interesting voice-actor than the base-game. They could have just not have him in the game. Reminds me of how David Sarif lost 90% percent of his personality because the new VA sounded nothing like the previous one.

Also these Typhon gates are loving annoying. No, I didn't invest in shock equipment, just let me through.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jul 27, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

Because rendering Ellen Page's nude body is very different from taking Ellen Page's modeled head and getting some generic nude 3d model to put it on.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

Just because it's in the game doesn't mean it's Cage's doing personally. As the director he bears some culpability for it being there, but the story I've been hearing for years is that the reason the Ellen Page character model has detailed genitals is because Cage was perving on her and had the modeler give her model a vagina. I'd be interested to hear if there was any proof that was the case, but it sounds like it's just one possible explanation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Just because it's in the game doesn't mean it's Cage's doing personally. As the director he bears some culpability for it being there, but the story I've been hearing for years is that the reason the Ellen Page character model has detailed genitals is because Cage was perving on her and had the modeler give her model a vagina. I'd be interested to hear if there was any proof that was the case, but it sounds like it's just one possible explanation.

Given that he creeped the poo poo out of her and apprently had a shrine like book of her photos he showed her Im willing to lean on the side he told an artist to do this.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Barudak posted:

Given that he creeped the poo poo out of her and apprently had a shrine like book of her photos he showed her Im willing to lean on the side he told an artist to do this.

There's actually an interesting writeup on this book (which started as a reference point for a strong female actress, then he was like 'oh poo poo I guess I gotta get Ellen Page for this role'): https://kotaku.com/the-video-game-that-began-with-pictures-of-ellen-page-1440500148

Granted this is from his point of view so who knows.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Morpheus posted:

Because rendering Ellen Page's nude body is very different from taking Ellen Page's modeled head and getting some generic nude 3d model to put it on.

That's a dang good point

The Moon Monster posted:

That is, too!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I thought the outrage was that there was supposed to be a shower scene but you'd never actually see anything,then people datamined and found that the body had pubic hair and way too much detail for something that was only supposed to be seen from the shoulders up.

Also the fact that ellen page was not told of this nor did she give consent to that or something?

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I thought the outrage was that there was supposed to be a shower scene but you'd never actually see anything,then people datamined and found that the body had pubic hair and way too much detail for something that was only supposed to be seen from the shoulders up.

Also the fact that ellen page was not told of this nor did she give consent to that or something?

Yes, exactly. Why does there need to be a nude model at all?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The fact that he's only using adult women makes him relatively tame as far as French perverts go. The girl Luc Besson was dating while filming Leon was only 2 years older than Natalie Portman.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I find it odd Lorne Lanning would accuse EA of sabotaging his game by not properly promoting it when there's so many bad mechanics at work in Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath for the PC. And it ranges from minor things like automatically sprinting whenever the game feels like it cause having a button for it was too much, to the criminally negligent of not letting the player stay in first person view when collecting criminals, or even being allowed to do the collecting in first person. First person is the only mode you can use your weapons in! So any chance of maintaining momentum in a battle with more than two guys falters.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

rodbeard posted:

The fact that he's only using adult women makes him relatively tame as far as French perverts go. The girl Luc Besson was dating while filming Leon was only 2 years older than Natalie Portman.

Leon is a loving great movie but everything I hear about the director and the original script makes me never want to watch it again :smith:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
While everything else about noted creepo David Cage and his terrible games is true, including the existence of the nude model itself, the Ellen Page thing got conflated with that stupid Half-Life 2 Cinematic mod, where the Alyx model does in fact have a full vagina because reasons.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Enter the Gungeon: After you kill a boss with a nearly fully upgraded Ser Junkan, the sentient junk becomes a drop from blue chests...and severly reduces the chances of him appearing as junk from destroying a chest. I have not seen him since officially unlocking him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I started playing The Division again for some reason. I'd picked up not long after it came out for cheap, but it didn't grab me so I shelved it. I went back to it since I've heard it fixed a lot of things and was having a good time in the game. Then I ran into the last 1/4 or so of the game, and the difficulty goes through a huge spike. I get they planned it as MP game, but the game went from being a fun challenge to a vertical wall of gently caress you in one zone. I was kinda interested in seeing where the game was going, but after dying multiple times while trying to walk past a submission, I'm done.