Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Choco1980 posted:

Seriously. Have it bounce around back and forth in time throughout Derry's many years being stalked by the giant psychic space cicada. Maybe The Losers aren't the only group to have fought It?

In the book it's explicitly stated from It's POV that the Losers were the only group to have fought It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mu Zeta posted:

The showrunner quit because he asked for a larger budget for season 2 and they said no

Gillian Anderson also quit as a result. Kristen Chenoweth is/was also thinking about it, but my 5 seconds of googling don't show anything definitive.

Who would have thought that Hannibal of all things would be the longest running Bryan Fuller show? Speaking of, I still have no idea how the hell they aired that thing on network TV.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

NBC only bitched about nudity so if there was too much butt or tits they covered it with blood

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bryan Fuller should stick to miniseries because nothing he runs last longer than three years.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is anyone surprised by that? I've liked most of the shows I've seen by Fuller but they all get ended prematurely

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jedit posted:

In the book it's explicitly stated from It's POV that the Losers were the only group to have fought It.

Doesn't mean that in a series expanding upon the story it couldn't have happened before and there were no survivors previously. Maybe a different group didn't even fight it directly, but were working for The Turtle to delay it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
IT builds it's monsters out of it's victim's fears. Episodic flashbacks to the 1880's would have monstrous White men with majestic beards or involve Indian raids and bad cases of cholera instead of movie werewolves and giant eyeballs. And it'd be awesome.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Krispy Wafer posted:

IT builds it's monsters out of it's victim's fears. Episodic flashbacks to the 1880's would have monstrous White men with majestic beards or involve Indian raids and bad cases of cholera instead of movie werewolves and giant eyeballs. And it'd be awesome.

There were a lot of side chapters and historic newspaper articles in the book that talked about how IT had been around for centuries. Pretty cool idea for an episodic period piece TV show actually. I agree.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

There were a lot of side chapters and historic newspaper articles in the book that talked about how IT had been around for centuries. Pretty cool idea for an episodic period piece TV show actually. I agree.

Speaking of, is there a TVIV thread for Castle Rock? I did a quick check and didn't see one but I've missed stuff before idk.

All the Easter Eggs are great so far and I have a lot of theories already.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BiggerBoat posted:

Could even do something like season one of Preacher, where five minutes of each ep was a flashback devoted to the origin of The Saint of Killers

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know a Wild Cards series gets mentioned here and there as in development. Frankliy, I don't think it will ever happen. People talked about Watchmen being too expensive and impossible to film for years (which I never got), WC would be even worse.

But I figured if they were ever going to do WC as a series start it off in the 40s-50s with the arrival of Tachyon and the virus and the Four Aces and the early days of Ace/Joker stuff. Then every season is a new decade with a new overall story arc. You could probably just keep using the characters of the Doc and The Sleeper as constantly recurring given how slow one ages and how the other one constantly is reborn in a different body, different powers every time they go to sleep (so you could always just recast them, too)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I guess they could animate it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aesop Poprock posted:

American Gods was like my go to show to introduce to friends for a while and I’m gonna be really pissed if they don’t fix the dumb situation and we never get a second season

They started production again in April, so probably 2019.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not read any of Wild Cards, but I'm aware it's a bunch of connected stories involving different characters who gain superpowers and whose lives sometimes intersect.

Isn't that just Heroes?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Just a reminder that one of the Wild Cards is a pimp who performs divination by having sex with a corpse.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Pete and Pete season 3 was bad because it focused too much on Little Pete instead of Big Pete

I didn't think it was that bad but both Petes were starting to age out of the show by then anyway. A Pete and Pete where BOTH of them were awkward teaanagers (or in Big Pete's case, almost an adult) would've been really weird. It absolutely ended at the right time.

fake edit: lol I looked it up and Michael Maronna was already like 18 when they made season 3, yeah that show was on borrowed time by then.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wild Cards is pretty weird and big it's true. In retrospect though it wasn't actually very good (I preferred the thieves world shared universe). I wonder if a stumbling block might be the rights issues since each character/story belongs to a different author.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012
I guess there was a Mist game: http://thor.mirtna.org/stephen-kings-the-mist-pc-game-review.html

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

Only one as far as I know:

It wasn't very good apparently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGURCNUqUA

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

Youtube used to be way weirder but now it's all homogenized because people started making a ton of money

I spent a month this year where the only thing I watched on YouTube was Vine compilations, if you want weird YouTube back you could fire up a few of those but the weirdness might just be the rapid-fire way clips are strung together in a single video.

It actually reminded me a lot of YTMND. Remember that?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

I actually went there yesterday on a whim just to see if it still existed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I spent a month this year where the only thing I watched on YouTube was Vine compilations, if you want weird YouTube back you could fire up a few of those but the weirdness might just be the rapid-fire way clips are strung together in a single video.

Wasn’t YTMND an SA offshoot?

Mu Zeta posted:

The showrunner quit because he asked for a larger budget for season 2 and they said no

He wanted 10 million an episode for a show that gets like 750k viewers, I don’t know what he expected.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wasn’t YTMND an SA offshoot?

He wanted 10 million an episode for a show that gets like 750k viewers, I don’t know what he expected.

He expected Starz to do what every other content producer is doing nowadays. Spend a shitload of cash with no guarantee of a return.

Although that is a lot of money. I just checked and only two Netflix shows got that budget - The Get Down and the most expensive TV show ever produced The Crown.

The Crown? :wtc:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Never even heard of it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I thought $10m/ep was Game of Thrones's budget, but they also have a billion actors making like $1m/ep each so.

I may have imagined these figures.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Krispy Wafer posted:

He expected Starz to do what every other content producer is doing nowadays. Spend a shitload of cash with no guarantee of a return.

Although that is a lot of money. I just checked and only two Netflix shows got that budget - The Get Down and the most expensive TV show ever produced The Crown.

I'm convinced The Get Down's budget involved some kind of scam because I saw two episodes and it just looks like a normal TV show. Goliath on Amazon also cost over $80 million for the first season and it's just a lawyer show starring Billy Bob.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm convinced The Get Down's budget involved some kind of scam because I saw two episodes and it just looks like a normal TV show. Goliath on Amazon also cost over $80 million for the first season and it's just a lawyer show starring Billy Bob.

There's more upfront money on streaming shows because the creators have no syndication options. Like Seinfeld probably made as much money in syndication and DVD's as it made in first runs, but you don't have those options with a Netflix show.

Could have still been a scam though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm gonna guess Get Downs budget was probably used on licensing music and hiring hella choreography, but that's an educated guess

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It didn't look much better than a typical episode of Glee or that other show Smash.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Wasn’t a big part of Goliath being so expensive a bunch of schedule problems? I remember hearing it had gone way overbudget.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scaramouche posted:

Wild Cards is pretty weird and big it's true. In retrospect though it wasn't actually very good (I preferred the thieves world shared universe). I wonder if a stumbling block might be the rights issues since each character/story belongs to a different author.

Less than you'd think. The individual stories are copyrighted to their respective authors, but the characters and books are all owned by the Wild Cards Trust headed by GRRM. Essentially it's up to him to decide how the stories will be sold, then to make sure the relevant people get paid from the proceeds.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Crown? Really? I’ve only seen the first season, but it seemed to take place in lots of castles and stately homes. We have about a million of those in Britain, so I can’t imagine it’s location that’s expensive. Did they make real diamond crowns for the queen?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Costume dramas cost a shitload because making period outfits costs a shitload, and there was also probably a lot of CGI you didn't notice to remove any anachronistic stuff where they were filming.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s the costumes, like half the budget went on costumes.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

You'd think it would be cheaper to just hire someone to make sure everyone takes off their Casio watches before the filming starts.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

walrusman posted:

You'd think it would be cheaper to just hire someone to make sure everyone takes off their Casio watches before the filming starts.

You'd think that, but you'd be wrong.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

walrusman posted:

Not even the best period piece in cinematic history could manage that:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's just a subtle way to let the audience know pizzawolf is a time traveler.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anything set more than a couple of decades in the past costs a lot of money because literally every outfit needs to be a costume and all the cars and appliances need to be vintage. The further back you go the more it costs because more of the props and sets and costumes need to be made specifically for the production. Especially once you go back far enough for something early modern or medieval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also if shooting on location you'd have to paint out/shop in buildings that existed only at the time or weren't built yet.