Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
More like the Broken Clock, because it hosed over the tick tock cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Moore's Flaw."

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Moore's Flaw."

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The year is 201X. We still don't have flying cars.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Quick question: If I have zero intention of ever ocerclocking is there any reason for me to get a z370 over an h370 or an 8700k over an 8700 when I build a thing this fall?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DoesNotCompute posted:

Quick question: If I have zero intention of ever ocerclocking is there any reason for me to get a z370 over an h370 or an 8700k over an 8700 when I build a thing this fall?

8700K vs 8700: no
Z vs H mobos: only the Z can run DDR4 faster than the max stock of 2666MHz

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Palladium posted:

I think even if flying cars magically became practical from a technical perspective, I wouldn't trust the average driver to handle one safely; humans have enough trouble keeping track of everything going on in 2 dimensions.

Number19 posted:

So yet another chipset and motherboard for Intel. They’re pretty much at a new one every year or even more often now right?

It's been ~one a year for over a decade, but most of the time the even generations (e.g. Z68/Z87/Z170) will have the same socket as the following odd generation (Z77/Z97/Z270) and the only difference is in features, not processor support once BIOS updates are considered. Of course, it's not usually worth the effort to upgrade only one generation unless you started with something lower than an i5.

LGA775 lasted a lot longer, but I still don't think there were many systems that came with Prescott/Cedar Mill P4s and were able to upgrade to Core 2 Quad - even if the chipsets would have allowed it which I don't know, I doubt many manufacturers cared to keep providing updates for that long. A lot of cheap Core 2 Duo systems were only built to deliver 65W and locked out quads (mostly 95W) even if the chipset supported them.

Keeping a static socket across several generations also became less attractive once the memory controller went on-die with Nehalem, since that meant a new DDR generation would require a new processor as well as a new motherboard. Recent memory controllers sometimes have some overlap (e.g. Skylake supports DDR4, LPDDR3, and DDR3L) but there's still the differing DIMM form factor and restricted voltage ranges to consider.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DoesNotCompute posted:

8700k has higher clocks out of the box

8700: 3.2ghz base / 4.6ghz boost
8700k: 3.7ghz base / 4.7ghz boost

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

DoesNotCompute posted:

No the h370 and 8700 is great for someone who doesn’t want to OC.

The 8700k single core turbo is 4.7 vs 4.6 for the non k but the all core turbo is the same at 4.3. That said I’ve seen some people say the stock 8700 cooler can struggle and buying a cheap $30 like the coolermaster hyper 212 or cryorig h7 might be a good idea.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

repiv posted:

8700k has higher clocks out of the box

8700: 3.2ghz base / 4.6ghz boost
8700k: 3.7ghz base / 4.7ghz boost

The all core turbo is the same for both at 4.3 so the 8700k isn’t that appealing for someone who won’t OC.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
If you get a Z370 board you can just enable "multi-core enhancement" or whatever the motherboard manufacturer calls the setting to get all cores to boost to max turbo clock at the same time even with a locked chip. The difference between the 8700 and the 8700K is completely negligible then.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

I think even if flying cars magically became practical from a technical perspective, I wouldn't trust the average driver to handle one safely; humans have enough trouble keeping track of everything going on in 2 dimensions.

i saw it pointed out somewhere that what we want when we say we want flying cars is basically a helicopter

so we've had them for decades. they're just expensive and dangerous

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
There's a number of companies that have demonstrated passenger carrying multicopters that are cheaper and easier to fly than a heli but the range probably isn't so great.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 30, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

New Intel roadmap leak. 9th gen CPUs launching Q1 2019 :/

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Feels like the 8700K and friends haven't even hit their stride yet in terms of orders so this kinda makes sense? 6-core mainstream hasn't even seen a (full) holiday season yet nevermind I'm being dumb and out of touch. Time flies when you're having fun!

Didn't we see BIOS updates just recently on Z370 for 8-core support? I mean a sticker

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 31, 2018

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Palladium posted:

We kinda do. Fixed or Variable wing would be a terrible idea for flying cars for various reasons, and VTOL would be expensive and an engineering nightmare. Helicopters or helicopter-like options would be best, which is what . My money's on drone-like devices.

Apparently there's a single-seat drone taxi in China, and I know I've seen mentions of at least a half dozen other companies working on the same premise. Of course the 500lb carry weight and 23 minutes of battery life is a downer but TECHNICALLY it's still something we have right now.

Personally I'd be much, much happier if autonomous vehicles became a mainstream thing by 2030. I'd love it if I could just get in my car, pull out a book, and then be at work.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Oh hey, extra potential snag with the RST thing. What it does it uses some number of MB at the tail end of the drive you are accelerating for the block map to tell it where the accelerated/remapped blocks are and by default GPT formatted drives don't leave enough space at the tail for it (MBR does). For any of the drives you're going to accelerate with the Optane thing, make sure you leave like 50-100mb unallocated at the end or the UI with just not show the option to accelerate.

That one represents a month of back and forth with Intel trying to troubleshoot.

eames
May 9, 2009

repiv posted:

New Intel roadmap leak. 9th gen CPUs launching Q1 2019 :/

Wonder why? Yield issues seem unlikely so maybe it is deliberate timing so they don’t have to come up with another 14nm product before 10nm “launches” in “Q4/19”

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Launching the 390 chipset without a chip at a time when people are going to be building new systems thanks to a new graphics card launch from Nvidia seems strange.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Launching so close to Zen2 is a mistake, a paper launch and trickling inventory would be better for optics.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can't see why they'd move past holidays for strategic purposes; it has to be logistic.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
They missed the holiday season retail window for new product lines to be integrated and ready for shipments by partners / OEMs is what it sounds like. You need to be ready by about August for lots of companies. Just a complete guess based upon what folks like at Costco and Target deal with for the holiday season.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any rumors on i9-9900K pricing? Is it really going to become the new "i7" or is it going to sit at ~$1000 like the current i9?

Looking to upgrade from an i5-2500, would be willing to wait, but paying that much of a premium just doesn't seem to be worth it compared to a 6c6t next gen or 6c12t current gen part.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Chuu posted:

Any rumors on i9-9900K pricing? Is it really going to become the new "i7" or is it going to sit at ~$1000 like the current i9?

Looking to upgrade from an i5-2500, would be willing to wait, but paying that much of a premium just doesn't seem to be worth it compared to a 6c6t next gen or 6c12t current gen part.

Best guess right now is the i9 9900K will be ~$450. Nothing’s been confirmed though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like its not delayed.

https://videocardz.com/76922/intel-core-i9-9900k-launches-in-q3-2018-after-all

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

necrobobsledder posted:

Just a complete guess based upon what folks like at Costco and Target deal with for the holiday season.

For higher end stuff this is true only for holiday specific items. We're talking about SKUs like Black Friday specific TVs or whatever. Something like a non-holiday high end LG OLED TV doesn't play by the same rules and can be integrated whenever.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think I actually did get a good 8700k. I've got it at 1.2v 5ghz all cores, small FFT (latest Prime95). 91-92c all day long (or less sometimes). I'm using a hilarious Xigmatec 120mm cooler from 7 years ago but with a Delta 120mm 4000rpm fan that will cut your fingers off at full bore.

Took the thread advice and got a Cryorig H5. Will update temps.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 1, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

redeyes posted:

I think I actually did get a good 8700k. I've got it at 1.2v 5ghz all cores, small FFT (latest Prime95). 91-92c all day long (or less sometimes). I'm using a hilarious Xigmatec 120mm cooler from 7 years ago but with a Delta 120mm 4000rpm fan that will cut your fingers off at full bore.

Took the thread advice and got a Cryorig H5. Will update temps.

I'm jealous. Struggled to get to 4.9 on my 8700k, even after swapping in a better motherboard (gigabyte gaming 7)

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So can anyone help me understand something real fast?

Currently running Prime95 to stress out my new Core i7-8700k.

I thought I was running the CPU at stock speeds, but according to this I'm running it at 4.3ghz so I assume my motherboard is boosting it automatically? And are those temps good or bad? It's been running for ~5 minutes or so.

This is the first unlocked CPU I've ever had and I was going to check temps at stock speeds before overclocking it, but if the motherboard is boosting it without me needing to adjust anything I'll happily leave things as is.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

khy posted:

So can anyone help me understand something real fast?

Currently running Prime95 to stress out my new Core i7-8700k.

I thought I was running the CPU at stock speeds, but according to this I'm running it at 4.3ghz so I assume my motherboard is boosting it automatically? And are those temps good or bad? It's been running for ~5 minutes or so.

This is the first unlocked CPU I've ever had and I was going to check temps at stock speeds before overclocking it, but if the motherboard is boosting it without me needing to adjust anything I'll happily leave things as is.

The turbo boost for all cores with the 8700k is 4.3 ghz, so that’s normal. Your temps are fine but you’ll need to keep an eye on them as your start to increase your voltage.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

B-Mac posted:

The turbo boost for all cores with the 8700k is 4.3 ghz, so that’s normal. Your temps are fine but you’ll need to keep an eye on them as your start to increase your voltage.

I'll start small and work my way up. At what point should I be worried my temps are getting too high?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DoesNotCompute posted:

B-Mac posted:

No the h370 and 8700 is great for someone who doesn’t want to OC.

The 8700k single core turbo is 4.7 vs 4.6 for the non k but the all core turbo is the same at 4.3. That said I’ve seen some people say the stock 8700 cooler can struggle and buying a cheap $30 like the coolermaster hyper 212 or cryorig h7 might be a good idea.

Buying anything other than the Z370/Z390 is shortsighted for any build that isn't a momputer that will absolutely under no circumstances ever be gamed on or remotely contemplated for an upgrade.

If your thought process is "I'm going to buy an 8700 but..." then just stop and buy the Z370. You're already buying at least $300 of processor+mobo. Put in an extra two hours at Burger King and spend the extra $20 so you can run XMP speeds today, and throw in a cheap upgrade in 3 years without having to buy a used mobo and tear your rig apart to install it. It's the cheapest insurance you will ever get in PC building. Practically every other page in the PC building thread there's someone who didn't think they'd ever upgrade, but is there anything you could do to stretch another year or two out of this old clunker? and the answer is no, because they didn't buy the Z-series board.

In fact for gaming it may be worth just buying the 8600K and overclocking over a 8700 on a locked board... or a 2700/2700X if you are not gaming.

Chuu posted:

The Skylake-X 8-core goes for $600, so presumably less than that. I'm betting on $500 personally.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 1, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm going to guess $469 for an MSRP, but gouging for the first few months will put it above $500.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Any rumors for the price on the 8 core i7-9700k?

If it's reasonable, I think I'd prefer it over the 8700k.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ardlen posted:

Any rumors for the price on the 8 core i7-9700k?

Intel tends not to change prices, when they're one-upped they increase the hardware you get at a given price point rather than dropping prices. So the MSRP will probably stay $360-380 just like now.

However, right now street prices are $300 or less and it's a good bet they will bounce up to MSRP again, both because of the inventory changeover and because this thing should be a bit faster in gaming than the 6C12T.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Friendly reminder, unlocked CPUs sell for literally twice as much as their locked counterparts. It's worth taking into account when you do your five year upgrade and want to sell your old kit.

I have five i7-2600s and they are impossible to move compared to their unlocked counterpart.

E: not directed at anyone or any post in particular, just wish this was brought up more often

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Up until coffee lake that was pretty much the matra of the parts thread. That said, the problem you're seeing in particular is that Sandy bridge really is showing its age at this point, and while it can OC well enough to overcome this deficit, the locked parts are at a marked disadvantage compared to modern parts.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I kind of suspect that if Zen2 assfucks Intel, they'll finally do the needful and unlock the lower-tier chips. Not on the other chipsets, but at least on Z370 (or Z470, or whatever). Their current trajectory is just unsustainable without either pushing cores up or clocks up, and unlocking overclocks is the one that doesn't cost them anything and doesn't require increasing nominal TDPs.

A better turbo that pushes close to the limit like XFR2/PBO would be better but they'd get slammed for blasting past TDPs ala "Con Lake", for lovely motherboards that can't sustain VRM throughput, etc. This is already the reality that chips pull that much, but the first company that acknowledges it is going to get roasted in the tech media for saying the truth.

The real solution would be to acknowledge that we need more than 4-phase VRMs for 8-core mobos, but that would damage profits from partners.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 1, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BurritoJustice posted:

Friendly reminder, unlocked CPUs sell for literally twice as much as their locked counterparts. It's worth taking into account when you do your five year upgrade and want to sell your old kit.

I have five i7-2600s and they are impossible to move compared to their unlocked counterpart.

E: not directed at anyone or any post in particular, just wish this was brought up more often

I guess there's a lot of really intelligent people out there paying a premium for used 2600Ks to OC on their 7-year old beaten up Z-board that will die when met with a stiff breeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Palladium posted:

I guess there's a lot of really intelligent people out there paying a premium for used 2600Ks to OC on their 7-year old beaten up Z-board that will die when met with a stiff breeze.

The usual thought process is: "well I don't want to pay the prices these days for DDR4... better pay MSRP for a 5-year-old used K processor to upgrade instead."

And then factor in that flagship chips always sell a fraction of the i3s and i5s and poo poo (measured across total sales, not just PC builders) and there is a lot of demand and not a lot of supply.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 1, 2018