Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One gets the impression Mr.Lynn does not care for speaking to the media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I've never been a big fan of rate stats for relief pitchers, especially closer, who only pitch 1 inning at a time

Its SSS at its finest along with dubious extrapolation

Why especially closers? And, yes this is the nature of relievers, but what are you looking at then besides rate stats? And since this conversation revolves around GIles, wouldn't looking beyond the high ERA this season and paying more attention to his very good career numbers be a better approach? The dubious thing here is that Ken Giles is bad, it seems pretty evidenced that he racks up strikeouts and limits walks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Milovan Drecun posted:

Why especially closers? And, yes this is the nature of relievers, but what are you looking at then besides rate stats? And since this conversation revolves around GIles, wouldn't looking beyond the high ERA this season and paying more attention to his very good career numbers be a better approach? The dubious thing here is that Ken Giles is bad, it seems pretty evidenced that he racks up strikeouts and limits walks.

Except he also gives up way too many hits

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I suppose LOOGY's would be the only worse small sample size relief pitchers.

But yeah, I don't know exactly how else you'd go about looking at them.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think teams are overrating years of control when trying to make deals

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
CarMart just left the game in the 5th.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Monkey Wrangler posted:

CarMart just left the game in the 5th.

Because the Cardinals are dumbasses and he's clearly still hurt but keep running him out there.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Except he also gives up way too many hits

This season, but the argument made in the post I'm quoting is arguing to look past SSS. So which is it?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Update on Poncedeleon and Caratini:

quote:

Poncedeleon was called back up to the Majors on Friday, the day the Cubs arrived at Busch Stadium for a three-game series, and the timing allowed Caratini and Poncedeleon to visit for the second time this year. One month earlier, the two had reunited back at Principal Park. The Cards righty has helped Caratini shed the guilt of being the one who stalled Poncedeleon's climb through the system. "When he came to visit me in the hospital, you could tell he was hurting more than I was," Poncedeleon said. "I said, 'It's all right. It's not your fault. You did your job.'

"He's a really good baseball player, and he's a really good human being." Between last year's incident and this year's reunion, the two remained in touch with occasional texts. Caratini would check in on Poncedeleon's recovery. Poncedeleon reached out when Puerto Rico was devastated by a hurricane last August.
Their conversation preceding the one in person at Busch Stadium, came a few days prior, following Poncedeleon's sensational debut. Caratini reached out to congratulate the right-hander. Poncedeleon offered the perfect retort:

"Congrats on making your pitching debut before me."

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Mo, please sell. Sell sell sell.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The gently caress cmart is injured again

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

shoulder injury for martinez this time

way, way, way worse news than re-aggravating the oblique

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ZenVulgarity posted:

The gently caress cmart is injured again

He's been injured and probably honestly never really got healthy prior to coming off the DL if his diminished velo/stuff is any indication, but the Cards are (were?) trying to compete and wanted their ace back, particularly after Reyes threw a whopping three innings before going right back down for the season.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
This is an incredible level of negligence from the front office and the coaching/training staff. How can we have noticed he's still injured for over a month now and they haven't. If there isn't significant sell off tomorrow, I'm ready for the front office to be on the hot seat, since they would clearly be out of touch with reality at that point.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Man Poncedeleon is an 80 tool last name

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Cardinals trying to become Mets West.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

well, this is an all new injury, guys. his oblique is fine, so that's not on the staff.

as far as i know he's never had a shoulder injury before

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And now for a bit of "Sometimes giving guys a second chance is good". Noted fun to watch baseballer Kevin Pillar embarassed himself and his team when he made homophobic remarks in 2017. Today, he is paying for funeral of a victim shot in a mass shooting in Toronto.

(if you are willing to believe facebook posts)

And if anyone missed the work KP has done since the incident. He has been doing well donating money as well as supporting causes such as You Can Play, talking to LGBT player reps in the MLBA, etc.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/jays-pillar-worked-atonement-homophobic-slur/

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Abel Wingnut posted:

well, this is an all new injury, guys. his oblique is fine, so that's not on the staff.

God dammit :(

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Abel Wingnut posted:

I thought it was his shoulder that kept him out of the 2015 postseason.

e: Yep

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean, it's the poo poo that A-Rod was spouting last night about Darvish. There's still an old school mentality that if your team needs you, then you should sacrifice your health and play injured. Schilling is still idolized by many in the sport because he went out and pitched with a foot so injured he was literally bleeding into his sock. It's asinine and incredibly destructive but still very much alive and festering.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Pancakes posted:

I thought it was his shoulder that kept him out of the 2015 postseason.

possible. you'd know better than i would.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Abel Wingnut posted:

possible. you'd know better than i would.

Yeah, I looked it up and it was a shoulder strain.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

"Congrats on making your pitching debut before me."

loving incredible

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

loving incredible

Poncedeleon and Caratini's friendship is a great storyline out of a horrible moment.

More background:

quote:

In all, he spent three weeks in Des Moines — including a two-and-a-half-week stay at the hospital. He spent five days in a hotel, after he was discharged, in order to go through rehab at the same facility. He tweeted on May 31 that he was finally able to return home to Florida. He also took the opportunity to thank the Iowa Cubs for their support through the ordeal. Poncedeleon said Caratini visited him in the hospital and worked with teammates to round up money to offset his family's travel expenses to and from Des Moines. He said Caratini’s fiancé even cooked a pair of meals for his family while they were in town. “It’s almost tear-jerking — what they did,” Poncedeleon said. “I really felt the love for the team. I can’t say enough good things about how good of a person Victor and the Cubs are for this.”

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zapplez posted:

And now for a bit of "Sometimes giving guys a second chance is good". Noted fun to watch baseballer Kevin Pillar embarassed himself and his team when he made homophobic remarks in 2017. Today, he is paying for funeral of a victim shot in a mass shooting in Toronto.

(if you are willing to believe facebook posts)

And if anyone missed the work KP has done since the incident. He has been doing well donating money as well as supporting causes such as You Can Play, talking to LGBT player reps in the MLBA, etc.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/jays-pillar-worked-atonement-homophobic-slur/
Yes, Pillar is an example of someone who earned a second chance. His apology was real, and acknowledged the people his words hurt. He's followed it up with action.

These recent guys with old tweets resurfacing have done none of those things, and have not earned the second chance that Pilar did.

In happier news:
https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1024084975652548608

It would be pretty awesome if Urias can be a bullpen weapon this fall.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sydin posted:

I mean, it's the poo poo that A-Rod was spouting last night about Darvish. There's still an old school mentality that if your team needs you, then you should sacrifice your health and play injured. Schilling is still idolized by many in the sport because he went out and pitched with a foot so injured he was literally bleeding into his sock. It's asinine and incredibly destructive but still very much alive and festering.

And as stupid it is to play injured, that Schilling game and the Kirk Gibson home run are two of my favourite mlb stories of all time. And I HATE Schilling.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:siren: :siren: :siren: HERE WE GO :siren: :siren: :siren:

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1024119631102001154

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
There’s no way anyone trades for him unless they think they can also sign him to a new contract

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Stove is sizzlin', boys!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

There’s no way anyone trades for him unless they think they can also sign him to a new contract

Why wouldn't you trade for Bryce Harper if you're trying to win the world series?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Dodgers and Indians have already reportedly made offers over the last couple days.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Wait ignore my posts from the last two weeks let’s be buyers instead.

https://twitter.com/bharper3407/status/336274564868870144?s=21

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

my gut reaction is that Oakland puts together another shocking offer

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/1024125348760481792

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

its happening dot gif

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
In case you didn't have enough reasons to love Dex (or be okay with the idea of trading for Matt Carpenter and his magic salsa):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am_sy4Kufh0

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

interesting move, putting Duvall into the bullpen, but that is what we need so let's give it a try

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Say what now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I wonder what else AA has up his sleeve if he's dumping three bad players off the 40 man like that.

• Locked thread