Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JawnV6 posted:

every so often its obvious when someone comes thru and hasn't clicked back through 8 dead/haunted OP's to figure out what's cool for this thread and what should probably be posted elsewhere

yeah i'd like to see this thread rebooted with some mention of the rules. i'm also not really sure what the rules are anymore. personally, I want to see:

1. a cjs thread for general chit chat
2. terrible programmer safety zone: a safe space for talking about programming/programming adjacent stuff
3. a try hard thread that's for more serious discussion but still chill.

partly, i've felt kinda weird posting my functional programming stuff in here. it feels a little showoff-y, and it's made worse by the fact that i'm not really explaining what's going on or any of the process. but explaining the process is a lot of work and it feels weird to put effort into a thread that's intentionally kinda low effort. but maybe i just need to post in CoC more? i don't really for some reason.

anyhow just because i made one dumb post 5 years ago doesn't give me any right to decide the fate of this thread so what do ya'll think?

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
as a relatively recent returnee to the forums, I think a lotta subforums would make a lot more sense if there were a more explicit

"These are the general rules

This subforum is for X, which makes it different from other subforum which involves X but also Y

These are the evergreen threads and what generally does and doesn't belong in them"

though there's something to be said for the "most context is implicit, figure it out fuckers" approach

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

JawnV6 posted:

every so often its obvious when someone comes thru and hasn't clicked back through 8 dead/haunted OP's to figure out what's cool for this thread and what should probably be posted elsewhere

Lol if you paid for archives

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i can come add some rules to op? something like

1) general forum, yospos rules apply
2) don’t be a jerk to people for their tech efforts

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

and the original thread purpose of discussing suboptimal programming practices and circumstances with no prejudice

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i can come add some rules to op? something like

1) general forum, yospos rules apply
2) don’t be a jerk to people for their tech efforts

2a) unless they are a worthless scumfuck sack of poo poo gimmick poster like shaggar

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

3) dqs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

2a) unless they are a worthless scumfuck sack of poo poo gimmick poster like shaggar

shaggar is perfectly adequate when he posts about efforts, rather than choices

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
also keep up the yospos canon such as
- 6.5 figgies means whatever you want it to mean above 100k
- don’t admit to using an anroid (lol)
- everybody is a terrible programmer double especially those who think they’re good at it
- computers were probably a mistake and Turing deserved death not for being gay but for creating them

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phobeste posted:

- everybody is a terrible programmer double especially those who think they’re good at it
- computers were probably a mistake and Turing deserved death not for being gay but for creating them

let’s not.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ha! hey guys..

yospos, bithc!!!!!!!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Phobeste posted:

wow, i dont care about any other thread rules but the first one i would like to propose is that you shut the gently caress up

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
i'm confused, is this a thread for terrible programmers or a terrible thread for programmers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Night Shade posted:

i'm confused, is this a thread for terrible programmers or a terrible thread for programmers

former

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

i've never understood why there are two programming threads

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Toady posted:

the other thread is not for discussing practical problems

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Toady posted:

there is a thread where we admit we’re terrible programmers and a thread where we pretend we’re not

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

speaking of terrible programming, i am actively regressing further back since im doing dumb financial reporting for like a month now already :(

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah i think just updating the thread with some rules and stuff is more than good cinci if you're up for that. less terrible programemrs, more terrible programming.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont think this is intentionally mean spirited and is just in really bad taste but we should be calling this stuff out more and thanks to cinci + jit bull transpile for doing it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I wrote an abstract class without wanting to commit harry caray I think I’m no longer a terrible programmer :(

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Luigi Thirty posted:

I wrote an abstract class without wanting to commit harry caray I think I’m no longer a terrible programmer :(

trust me, i've seen lots of abstract classes written by terrible programmers

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

all i know is that male shoegaze is posting about compiler code and writing libs and as such has graduated from this thread :3:

and that phoebeste post was in v poor taste

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Luigi Thirty posted:

i love how much variety there is in programming skills/interests. I don't get the high level/low level backend/frontend war: programming is for everyone get used to it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Captain Foo posted:

all i know is that male shoegaze is posting about compiler code and writing libs and as such has graduated from this thread :3:

and that phoebeste post was in v poor taste

:3:

really though i dont know where i would be if it weren't for this thread / forum. i've learned so much here and it's been great watching everyone else get better too.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

programming is for everyone get used to it.

:ohdear:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm attempting to use rust's async/generators stuff so my delay(1ms) don't block but just yield in the control loop to allow other processor going on and jeez I don't really get how the nb (non blocking) library's await macro interacts with the rust generator await poo poo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

I'm attempting to use rust's async/generators stuff so my delay(1ms) don't block but just yield in the control loop to allow other processor going on and jeez I don't really get how the nb (non blocking) library's await macro interacts with the rust generator await poo poo

yeah the current state of things is very confusing. what's the non-blocking library that you're referring to?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah the current state of things is very confusing. what's the non-blocking library that you're referring to?

https://japaric.github.io/nb/nb/

It's used in all the embedded crates. I have blocking delays working just fine

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think this double qualifies you AS terrible programmer, sorry mate

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

I think this double qualifies you AS terrible programmer, sorry mate

I knew it!!

specifically it's the base ui screen class for this dos game which contains all the drawing methods and junk

it gets derived into different screens so I can call MainMenuScreen::Redraw() or whatever and it will draw the main menu by calling DrawRect() and DrawText() a bunch in the base class

I think this is how UIs work idk

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

yeah... in 2003

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HoboMan posted:

yeah... in 2003

are you not familiar with the scope of luigi 30's work

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Sorry, that was in poor taste. I apologize.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

HoboMan posted:

yeah... in 2003

lol if you think my compiler is even C++03 compliant

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Phobeste posted:

no. given figgies x, dollars are 10^(x-1)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

updated op

cinci zoo sniper posted:

'tis thread for general programming chat, but also learning environment and sandbox for any topics in or around programming, without prejudice - however silly or irrelevant any given idea may feel

please mind a few things, namely:

1) forum and yospos rules
2) dont be jerk to people just because they do a coding thing
3) mind your ciclejerks, a lot of this thread is serious questions and advice given

last thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836929

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

no such thing as a stupid question (asked in earnest anyway)

E: actually I guess you kinda already said that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

no such thing as a stupid question (asked in earnest anyway)

E: actually I guess you kinda already said that

yeah i tried to say that all questions should be asked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i'd like to see this thread rebooted with some mention of the rules. i'm also not really sure what the rules are anymore. personally, I want to see:

1. a cjs thread for general chit chat
2. terrible programmer safety zone: a safe space for talking about programming/programming adjacent stuff
3. a try hard thread that's for more serious discussion but still chill.

partly, i've felt kinda weird posting my functional programming stuff in here. it feels a little showoff-y, and it's made worse by the fact that i'm not really explaining what's going on or any of the process. but explaining the process is a lot of work and it feels weird to put effort into a thread that's intentionally kinda low effort. but maybe i just need to post in CoC more? i don't really for some reason.

anyhow just because i made one dumb post 5 years ago doesn't give me any right to decide the fate of this thread so what do ya'll think?

We have all the threads you want and they operate in the way you describe.

1. the CJS thread, get to know the other yosposters
2. this one, help with the newbies
3. The PL (Programming Language) thread, the try hard programming thread
+
The Picture thread for funny computer

These are the 4 main YOSPOS threads IMO that see lots of posts every day, but there are of course all the individual topic threads like Security, Android/Mac/Windows/Google, Buttcoin, Interviewing, SciFi/Fantasy Nerd poo poo, yosqueer hangout

Also it sounds like your FP post should go in the The PL thread where it would be well received by all the PL weenies.