Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Marcus and Lennier: proto-incels or incel precursors?

Not so much involuntarily celibate as voluntarily only being open to loving one woman who was not having it. Although I suppose most of the incel movement confuses an unwillingness put some effort into dating with being shut out by the rest of the human race, so maybe.

Although in Lennier's case, it doesn't seem like there were all that many Minbari women to choose from. Not a lot of fish in that sea. I have no idea how a traditional Minbari/Minbari romance is supposed to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SlothfulCobra posted:

I have no idea how a traditional Minbari/Minbari romance is supposed to go.

Given all the watching people sleep etc that Sheridan has to go through, I think Lennier's creeper behaviour is pretty par for the course.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Flatscan posted:

Given all the watching people sleep etc that Sheridan has to go through, I think Lennier's creeper behaviour is pretty par for the course.

..."Woo-hoo?"

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

G'kar watching was just a minbari ceremony

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I saw close to 30 new posts in this thread since last I checked and feared someone had died.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think one of the most underated moments of B5 is G'Kar's little speech about an Ant to Catherine Sakai.

This. So much this.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Not so much involuntarily celibate as voluntarily only being open to loving one woman who was not having it. Although I suppose most of the incel movement confuses an unwillingness put some effort into dating with being shut out by the rest of the human race, so maybe.

Terminal Nice Guy Syndrome. In one case, literally.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Groetgaffel posted:

I saw close to 30 new posts in this thread since last I checked and feared someone had died.

Babylon 5: I saw lots of new posts and feared someone had died.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Babylon 5: I saw lots of new posts and feared someone had died.

There are still a few cast members left... :(

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Angry Salami posted:

He looks better with the beard. :colbert:

I always felt like Boxleitner with a beard would have been perfect to play Ulysses S. Grant

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
It's one of the few cases where B5 stole from DS9.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Appreciating the new thread title.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

It's here, and added to the lappy in honor.

( NERDING INTENSIFIES! )

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:shobon: :h:

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

That's why the sfx on the DVDs already look like crap - for all the effects shots they had to use the NTSC broadcast masters, which were 4:3 on video, and upscale/crop them to 16:9. The actual filmed portions are fine, but every single shot with any kind of effect would need the effect recreated from scratch and recomposited. And it probably has way more effects than TNG, which, as a more popular show already proved... unfulfilling from a monetary investment standpoint.

JMS has claimed recently(in relation to Amazon Prime getting the US streaming rights) that 35mm prints of all the episodes exist in the Warner archives, implying it would be possible to put out a near-HD quality 4:3 release of the entire series. The hard part would be convincing WB to give a poo poo about putting out a better quality release than the one that's already available.

I'm pretty sure he said some of the CG sequences used on the DVDs had actually been sourced from the laserdisc versions, which would explain an awful lot.

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2018/05/hd-version-of-babylon-5-may-be-possible.html

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah there was some discussion of that in here a while back. I'm really trying hard not to get caught up in false hope.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Platonicsolid posted:

It's here, and added to the lappy in honor.

( NERDING INTENSIFIES! )

This is why I need a laptop.

Edit: Nice! Mine arrived too. Thanks, Pick!

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 31, 2018

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I got mine and they're really nice quality. Thanks Pick.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Pick posted:

Send an email to sendthemtopick@gmail.com w/ your preferred delivery address for a free Star Trek and Babylon 5 friendship sticker.

Wanted to ask first, would you mind posting to Europe, or is that too much?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It’s fine since it’s just stamp rate for a letter. I’ve already sent a few to the UK.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Alright, sweet. Email sent. :cheers:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I always felt like Boxleitner with a beard would have been perfect to play Ulysses S. Grant

Well, he did play James Longstreet. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Q_res posted:

I got mine and they're really nice quality. Thanks Pick.

:yeah:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zack Allen just wanted a few extra credits each month, now he is a space Nazi. :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I said come in! posted:

Zack Allen just wanted a few extra credits each month, now he is a space Nazi. :(

Evil is mundane

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Evil is mundane

One minute you're just drawing a pay check, the next you're forcibly separating parents and children, never to be reunited.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Forgot how great of a scene it is when (Season 3 spoiler) Londo poisons Reefa.

Also :lol: at Abrahamo Lincoli.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Parts Kit posted:

Forgot how great of a scene it is when (Season 3

You can usually just leave it here and be fine tbh.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

You can usually just leave it here and be fine tbh.

There are people watching for the first time posting.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I not saying leave off the spoiler tags; I'm more saying any given scene in season 3 is likely to be great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Parts Kit posted:

Forgot how great of a scene it is when (Season 3 spoiler) Londo poisons Reefa.

Also :lol: at Abrahamo Lincoli.

I actually really like that joke, just because there's a lot of good writing behind it. It's not just something funny for the audience, it's a name that no Centauri would recognize as fake because the average one doesn't know poo poo about Earth history. And the only ones who would know would've had some extensive experience with Earth and suddenly that's a very short list as to who's behind that alias.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The wife and I are watching the part II episode right now where they get Babylon 5 and Sinclair comes back. :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I honestly am still kind of flabbergasted that they managed to write their way around O'Hare's situation and turn it into a coherent story.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

I honestly am still kind of flabbergasted that they managed to write their way around O'Hare's situation and turn it into a coherent story.

I know, he's like the one character where you're like "we GOTTA keep this guy" and it's like, oops poo poo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Data Graham posted:

Not as amazed as I am that an unmedicated schizo spent nine months on set surrounded by refugees from his better hallucinations and didn't totally lose it while still managing to act.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Data Graham posted:

It's actually not that surprising; JMS had prepared backup plans for everyone.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But I doubt his backup plan for Sinclair was really, like, 'rewrite the whole show with this new guy John Sheridan'. Because that's what happened. Season 1 is very much on track to the original outline, then the show goes right off the rails and yet still, with some minor exceptions around Babylon 4 (and some very minor things with the Minbari, IIRC) remains entirely consistent.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's surprising in the sense that what JMS did was totally above and beyond what anyone had ever done with respect to planning a long TV story with like infinite contingency plans.

compare to say, the lies of the new battlestar galactica

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jedit posted:

Not as amazed as I am that an unmedicated schizo spent nine months on set surrounded by refugees from his better hallucinations and didn't totally lose it while still managing to act.

Considering he was dealing with a raging alcoholic / sex pest playing his best friend, I think O'Hare's performance is absolutely nothing short of incredible.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

But I doubt his backup plan for Sinclair was really, like, 'rewrite the whole show with this new guy John Sheridan'. Because that's what happened. Season 1 is very much on track to the original outline, then the show goes right off the rails and yet still, with some minor exceptions around Babylon 4 (and some very minor things with the Minbari, IIRC) remains entirely consistent.

Yeah, "War Without End" absolutely went through some clunky rewrites as a result of O'Hare's departure (and even in his appearance when he mentions the Rangers -- The Coming of Shadows? -- you can tell he's heavily medicated. Straczynski did his very best to patch the holes, but the whole thing doesn't completely hold water.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pick posted:

compare to say, the lies of the new battlestar galactica

BSG's failure wasn't entirely the fault of Ron Moore and co. They got hit hard by the writer's strike and just never recovered.