Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I just read that the Super Nintendo Switch won't have any voice comminication online, but rather you communicate in all games by summoning your Mii using the MK8 engine and communicate using a pre-set selection of dialog

"I'm using tilt controls"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Mister Facetious posted:

That's because it's not going to be used for infrastructure. :ssh:

So, if I have to choose between two loot and slash games, do I go Titan Quest, or wait for Victor Vran?
I've never played either one.

I am hoping to pick up Titan Quest today since the wife and I planned to have a couch co-op game tonight and we have been waiting for something to come out that would scratch the Diablo 3 itch.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Alan_Shore posted:

First, there's a lot of people who suck at Hollow Knight it seems

I'm too impatient and scatterbrained for Souls games and Hollow Knight. I always get greedy with regards to damaging a boss or enemy and it's usually my downfall. That and the mere idea of "losing progress," however insignificant, really gets me down.

I like the games, I really do. I've just been coddled by modern games' conveniences and babying.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ratjaculation posted:

I just read that the Super Nintendo Switch won't have any voice comminication online, but rather you communicate in all games by summoning your Mii using the MK8 engine and communicate using a pre-set selection of dialog

"I'm using tilt controls"

I'd pay $40 a year if I could have a system-wide setting to disable voice communication in any title that dares implement it and gives me universal access to the dpad quickchats from rocket league

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Poppibuster mission was actually really easy and took like fifteen minutes. Also I discovered I can farm legendary cores off the praetor giant bird dragon thingie unique near the top of the world tree. I got like mine legendary cores doing this mission cause I kept fighting that thing over again to do the different specials I needed to do

You've been able to farm legendary cores since the game launched, using driver combos and gold chips in weapons to boost drop rates you can get half a dozen or so cores per fight with level 60+ uniques. I forget who the best ones were for this though.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'll never forget signing into GTA Online once and having screaming kids blasting out the speaker on the loading screen with no way to stop it.

Private voice chat is good though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'd love to know the thinking that got Nintendo to not go with the idea of invite/friends-only private chat.

Because it seems like it'd solve the 'kids being exposed to toxicity/pedos online' problem, and still allow them to talk with friends.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Manky posted:

I'd pay $40 a year if I could have a system-wide setting to disable voice communication in any title that dares implement it and gives me universal access to the dpad quickchats from rocket league

Bring back Phantasy Star Online macro chat

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

I'd love to know the thinking that got Nintendo to not go with the idea of invite/friends-only private chat.

I would guess it to be a combination of:

Inertia/habit

More cost

Extra data means more drops on cheesy wifi

Most users won't give a poo poo

also:
You can friend anyone so it doesn't really do the same job of protecting people (kids) from bullshit people saying bullshit things

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Bloop posted:

also:
You can friend anyone so it doesn't really do the same job of protecting people (kids) from bullshit people saying bullshit things

True, but I'd greatly prefer 'better the Devil you know/only moral X is my X friends' and all that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Evil Fluffy posted:

You've been able to farm legendary cores since the game launched, using driver combos and gold chips in weapons to boost drop rates you can get half a dozen or so cores per fight with level 60+ uniques. I forget who the best ones were for this though.

For some reason I thought only the unique armu you could raise dropped these

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

That's because it's not going to be used for infrastructure. :ssh:

So, if I have to choose between two loot and slash games, do I go Titan Quest, or wait for Victor Vran?
I've never played either one.

I'd go with Titan Quest since it's still bloody great and is pretty much on par with Diablo II. I only tried a bit of Victor Vran and while it was fun to flip around it seemed pretty mediocre.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Thank god Nintendo is here to protect the children

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Over There posted:

Thank god Nintendo is here to protect the children

Bowser's got a son he's raising alone, you know.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Switch sold 1.9 million units last quarter, PS4 sold 3.2 million. Does this say that the Switch's momentum is declining or that the PS4 is a legendary juggernaut?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lodin posted:

I'd go with Titan Quest since it's still bloody great and is pretty much on par with Diablo II. I only tried a bit of Victor Vran and while it was fun to flip around it seemed pretty mediocre.

How does it handle a full inventory? I played the Torchlight games, and sending your pet to sell poo poo while you keep looting is a Hell of a convenience.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Switch sold 1.9 million units last quarter, PS4 sold 3.2 million. Does this say that the Switch's momentum is declining or that the PS4 is a legendary juggernaut?

It says that the Switch sold 1.9 million units last quarter and the PS4 sold 3.2 million

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
It says that Pokemon hasn't been released on Switch yet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Switch is gonna sell enough to get a solid generation's worth of Nintendo games and all the indie ports you can handle. Enjoy the Switch.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because they own some of the most valuable IPs on the planet. They could just stop making video games and they would still be raking it in from licensing Mario and Sonic and Mr. Zelda to comic books and Michael Bay movies or whatever.

Sega is making games for Nintendo, but that doesn't mean Nintendo owns Sega's IPs, or did I miss a hostile takeover of Sega by Nintendo?

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

punk rebel ecks posted:

It means great games rule all: God of War sold 5M copies in it's first month and drove new PS4 sales. Nintendo's headline releases were Mario Tennis, DK:TF, and Labo, none of which topped 1.5M sales during the quarter. We'll check back once Pokemon/Smash drives the next wave of Switch sales before having "Momentum" conversation.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just popping in to say that Go Vacation is a very chill game and worth it if you can get it on discount through like remaining BB GCU or something. The minigames are not that great, but it's more about the experience of relaxing in a semi-open world with your Sim-like avatar.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Because it seems like it'd solve the 'kids being exposed to toxicity/pedos online' problem, and still allow them to talk with friends.

Swapnote was friends-only and was still connected to a pedophile case, which was specifically the thing that made Nintendo drop all communication features from their handheld devices.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

DMCrimson posted:

It means great games rule all: God of War sold 5M copies in it's first month and drove new PS4 sales. Nintendo's headline releases were Mario Tennis, DK:TF, and Labo, none of which topped 1.5M sales during the quarter. We'll check back once Pokemon/Smash drives the next wave of Switch sales before having "Momentum" conversation.

All the Smash Weirds are going to find some excuse to just keep playing Melee

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Manky posted:

Wow!
Wow!
Wow!
Chat disabled for 4 seconds.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Voice chat was a mistake

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

DMCrimson posted:

Good point.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Beating NKG in Hollow Knight for the first time while travelling in an airplane feels pretty good.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The amount of time and typing some of you spend getting worked up about paying for online is staggering.

Also of course the average comments about labo is that it's a failure because it isn't marketed to 18-45 (clueless myopic) gamer dudes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The best non-voice-chat method I've encountered was found in Triforce Heroes. Everyone should be allowed to communicate via adorable Link emojis. It's both effective and cute. Getting your point across has never been better.

JazzFlight posted:

Just popping in to say that Go Vacation is a very chill game and worth it if you can get it on discount through like remaining BB GCU or something. The minigames are not that great, but it's more about the experience of relaxing in a semi-open world with your Sim-like avatar.

Good to know. The game looks fun. Open world is good, pity about the mini-games.

I hope Okami comes out physical. I'm all about single-player games being gotten physically whenever possible.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Voice chat owns. Any time my brother is playing counter strike all I can hear is random Eastern Europeans shouting at him

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Voice chat owns. Any time my brother is playing counter strike all I can hear is random Eastern Europeans shouting at him

You misspelled 'is extremely lame in most contexts'

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

You misspelled 'is extremely lame in most contexts'

I also hate talking to my friends

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Voice chat owns.

Yeah, it OWNS

Oh...
Wow.
Nope!
Stupid.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

After reading into the details we know about the online service (that's published on their website), I feel like the $20 per year isn't that bad since you get the Save Data Cloud Backup feature and 20 NES games with online play added. It's going to be a blast playing against people online in games like Dr. Mario.

I will say the requirement to have a smartphone app for the voice chat is loving stupid though. Overall the service seems pretty barebones, but there's always the potential for future updates/improvements. Remember - when Xbox Live and PS Plus launched, they didn't have all of the features they show off now.

Maybe I just suck at the game :shrug:

It’s not just you. I’m about 12 hours in, and I’m getting close to giving up. I feel like I’m progressing at a fraction of the speed I should be. I have the mantis claw, but passed on messing with the mantis lords.

I found the brooding mawkish and got totally destroyed a dozen or so times... so I’m thinking I should explore elsewhere.

Maybe after a few wins, I’ll feel better about it

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
So far my experiences with voice chat in Fortnite squad games - which has it built-in - has only given me French kids who would not shut up. Or Belgian. Regardless, the point being that it can be a pointless feature unless you either have a common language or you know who you're talking with. While Splatoon 2 has been criticized for its approach to VC, I honestly feel that it was the best they could to make it work as part of the experience.

I still prefer Discord to the Nintendo app though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

LethalGeek posted:

The amount of time and typing some of you spend getting worked up about paying for online is staggering.

Also of course the average comments about labo is that it's a failure because it isn't marketed to 18-45 (clueless myopic) gamer dudes.

Thank you for your valuable and interesting insight

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

I also hate talking to my friends

Wow it turns out most online gaming situations are filled with randos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Wow it turns out most online gaming situations are filled with randos!

Yeah people never play online with their friends.

I guess it's true on the switch since Nintendo sucks at online and doesn't have good group features.

• Locked thread