Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
What's the cal on the sledgehammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1023683692605005824

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Jimmy Hats posted:

What's the cal on the sledgehammer

50 cal

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Don't be silly, gas is a liquid and physics says so long as it's not deeper than head-height he can't drown in it

Gasoline requires oxygen, so as long as he's completely submerged, he won't burn up :colbert:

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

One Weird Trick A Billionaire Doesn't Want You To Know

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Someone tell Elon to unblock me (@mdcjudge)

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I think he would benefit from thinking more than once

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
As a note, other cars such as the car that actually delivers a long range electric car for under 40k (Chevy Bolt), do not use a bunch of vape batteries and instead use their own unique cell design and chemistry.

Other companies are doing flat batteries, etc.. they just take a lot more r&d versus just buying thousands of off rhe shelf laptop batteries

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GIRL BRAINS posted:

What if we fired the sledgehammer out of a cannon

now this is a disruptive technology I can get behind

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Can one of you fuckers double down on your goon-deducting already and get a sledgehammer, a hydrogen tank and a camera?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Alright fuckers, no more hydrogen tank talk.

...instead, let's bask in the fireworks show let loose by a stolen and crashed Telsa from a couple years ago:

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Elon no!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

If you'd like a quick primer on the difference between poking a little hole in something in a big empty room and applying a distributed crushing force in a tightly occupied space I'd direct you to the work of noted physicist Gallagher

I don' know what you want to hear. The cells have been crash-tested and didn't blow up. They are built with controlled mechanical release systems that prevent the storage from blowing up due to added mechanical pressure. This is possible thanks to the fact that even under atmospheric conditions hydrogen has dissipation rate of around 40 mph, unlike other gases that may be stored in pressurized tanks, so the contents of the system can escape faster through a small initial opening even in a crash situation befor the whole structure is compromised.

The only way tests have been able to obtain a catastrophic failure was when they deliberately sabotaged temperature release vents and started a fire around it, and even then the results were less severe than if they had done the same thing with a gas tank, and they could only get the dreaded fireball if they mixed oxygen into the fuel prior to the experiment.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 31, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

COMRADES posted:

How would the tank get crushed by that if a .50 cal bullet couldn't deform it though?

Idk I've always used carbon fiber tanks for paintballing and the failure point has always been the valve. The tank itself is sturdy as poo poo afaik.

Besides OK it ruptures then:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2852323/heres-why-hydrogen-fueled-cars-arent-little-hindenburgs.html

Different materials react differently to various types of stress, and carbon fiber is a lot more brittle than we're used to as a sturdy material in a consumer product. That article (and subsequent posts in the thread) seem to indicate that the tank has undergone the proper stress tests, but it's a very reasonable question to ask in a thread where a self-proclaimed materials engineer somehow ended up producing the Tesla.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
quantum of solace was not just a poo poo movie but it was a pretty obvious smear of hydrogen fuel cell tech

not convinced hydrogen will be viable until we get more renewables or fusion to actually make the hydrogen

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

etalian posted:

I guess we will be finding how much new equity they will have to sale off to finance Musk's cash burn.

oh hi there doobie

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Phobophilia posted:

not convinced hydrogen will be viable until we get more renewables or fusion to actually make the hydrogen

Strip mine Saturn

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/07/3-ex-solarcity-employees-claim-company-oversaw-bogus-sales-to-inflate-valuation/

quote:

Two men and a woman have sued SolarCity, and its parent company, Tesla, alleging serious corporate misbehavior.

The former retail employees claim that SolarCity tacitly approved the creation of "fake sales accounts," resulting in "unjustified bonuses" for some employees and the basis of an "unreasonably high valuation of SolarCity" for investors. The automaker acquired SolarCity in late 2016 for $2.6 billion.

In addition, the plaintiffs said they faced rampant harassment, discrimination, and inadequate overtime pay during their near-one-year tenure ending in mid-2017.

Tesla did not respond to Ars’ request for comment on Sunday.

The lead plaintiff in the case, Andrew Staples, who is gay, also alleged that he was "repeatedly and continuously harassed" by a supervisor from another department, Grant Katzenellenbogen.

"Specifically, this supervising employee continuously harassed Plaintiff Staples by calling him things like'bitch,’ 'pussy' and 'human being,’" his lawyers wrote. "These comments were made to Staples on numerous different days throughout his employment."

According to the civil lawsuit filed last Wednesday in San Diego County Superior Court, Staples reported the insults and the questionable corporate practices to various managers, including to CEO Elon Musk himself, who seemingly took no action.

Staples was then terminated from his position at the end of May 2017, which he believes was retaliation for his complaints.

Another man, Robert Ray, claims that he was subjected to age discrimination when he was fired—at the age of 59. The claims of the woman, Anquetta White, were not fully explained in court filings.

All three plaintiffs (Staples, Ray, and White) claim that when they attempted to inform management of these incidents, they were ultimately fired, which they argued contravened California’s whistleblower protection laws.

In addition, they claim that they were "not paid for all hours worked," including unpaid overtime hours.

It is not clear whether these firings were related to a wave of 1,200 SolarCity job cuts in October 2017.

A person with knowledge of the lawsuit who used to work in the San Diego office said that "thousands" of bogus SolarCity accounts may have been created by supposedly requesting solar panels for homes that turned out not to exist. Sometimes, these faux deals would be a valid residence but with a fake property owner's name—the real person did not intend to move ahead with solar panels.
This tactic allegedly resulted, this person said, in tens of hundreds of millions of dollars in phantom revenue. He added that more than a dozen people reported the practice to the relevant human resources representatives, and CEO Elon Musk himself, who never replied.
Ars granted anonymity as this person feared reprisal from Tesla.

This former San Diego employee also said that, despite working for a high-tech energy company, the SolarCity office, just south of the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, operated more like a struggling startup, with electrical plugins that didn't work, spotty office lighting, and even cutting back on sugar and creamer for the shared office coffee.

“Everything else behind the scenes was just crap," he said.

According to Michael Beardsley, a former Tesla employee who said he was "witness" to much of the allegations outlined in the lawsuit, confirmed the ex-employees' allegations. Beardsley, who is not named in the lawsuit, provided copies of emails that Staples sent to Tesla HR.

"I really appreciate you taking the time and effort," Staples wrote on April 14, 2017. "I have voiced my concerns in the past to management, but I haven’t received a response and the seemingly unethical behavior by some on the team hasn’t changed. I can put up with a lot, but to have people that I’m mentoring become frustrated, and some who have come to me in tears over these issues and others disturbs me. I’m concerned that those who are truly putting in the effort and who are upstanding individuals are becoming disheartened."

In addition, Beardsley explained, they were sent "incendiary pictures, memes and even pictures of female employees in their panties, etc." It is not clear under what circumstances such pictures were taken or obtained.
:wow:

Beardsley provided Ars with an example of a picture of someone he said was a female colleague dressed in what appears to be a bra and underwear running on a lawn at night.

The San Diego ex-employee, who corroborated receiving that same picture from a different female colleague, was dismayed by what he called "frat boy locker room crap."

“I’ve never worked in an environment this unprofessional," he said.

Tesla has faced previous claims by factory workers who alleged racial and sexual harassment.

Yowza!

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Using hydrogen to fuel cars is actually dumb and also, gay!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Different materials react differently to various types of stress, and carbon fiber is a lot more brittle than we're used to as a sturdy material in a consumer product. That article (and subsequent posts in the thread) seem to indicate that the tank has undergone the proper stress tests, but it's a very reasonable question to ask in a thread where a self-proclaimed materials engineer somehow ended up producing the Tesla.

It's great stuff for frames and panels and anything else that needs to be light and rigid above all else, and if it gets damaged at all you just throw that part out and replace it. It's a bizarre choice of material for a high-pressure containment vessel that is under constant load and can be pretty fuckin heavy in the same way that tool steel is a bizarre choice of material for a window pane, and shooting your metal fuckin window doesn't actually address the problem. Like you said, probably there's some engineering hoodoo making what appears to be the convergence of a bunch of fundamentally bad and unsafe design ideas nominally workable under test conditions, but itt their chief advocate is the guy insisting that so long as there's no fire, shrapnel and injection injuries aren't real things.

these pussy bitches are all, uh, oil company spies, also crisis actors

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 31, 2018

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

etalian posted:

Tomorrow Tesla will be reporting their earnings.

I guess we will be finding how much new equity they will have to sale off to finance Musk's cash burn.

Also people are not selling off their Tesla surfboard reservations

http://time.com/money/5352634/elon-musk-tesla-surfboards/

Car Citizen.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

EAB posted:

Using hydrogen to fuel cars is actually dumb and also, gay!

The economics of turning electricity into hydrogen, then distributing it and eventually turning it back into electricity in order to spin some wheels don't really make sense.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Spazzle posted:

Car Citizen.

I couldnt put my finger on it but he does remind me a lot of Roberts and its because he is obsessed with short sellers like Roberts is obsessed with goons. Its very telling when a ceo goes ballistic over something so minor it shouldnt even be on their radar. If they had courage in their convictions they wouldn't give two shits about these types of critics.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Also re the solar company they are in an amusing lawsuit right now where they ripped off the roof of a guy who cancelled his order. Then they attempted to fix it without permission or approval and botched it as well lol. That company honestly sounds feral lol.

E: oh yeah and he cancelled because they straight up lied about the cost until hours before the install.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 31, 2018

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

But customers shouldn’t plan on hitting the beach anytime soon: The fine print says fins aren’t included, and delivery could take as long as 10 weeks.

lmao

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

DogonCrook posted:

I couldnt put my finger on it but he does remind me a lot of Roberts and its because he is obsessed with short sellers like Roberts is obsessed with goons. Its very telling when a ceo goes ballistic over something so minor it shouldnt even be on their radar. If they had courage in their convictions they wouldn't give two shits about these types of critics.

I’m guessing neither of them are used to hearing people disagree with them

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

I don't think you understand the actual problem my dude :words:

Like I said IDK about fuel cell engineering
i call this piece "science knowledge bluff called"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

DogonCrook posted:

Also re the solar company they are in an amusing lawsuit right now where they ripped off the roof of a guy who cancelled his order. Then they attempted to fix it without permission or approval and botched it as well lol. That company honestly sounds feral lol.

E: oh yeah and he cancelled because they straight up lied about the cost until hours before the install.

o poo poo they're the same dudes

yeah their business model also involves suing customers if they sell their house

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Well, that is a little disingenuous framing of that dispute, but the 42k bill they tried to stick the guy with is also a little disingenuous so ruling on the field is penalties offset.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They should just put a mechanic's lien on the house and be done with it like what all other normal contractors would do.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 31, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If you'd like a quick primer on the difference between poking a little hole in something in a big empty room and applying a distributed crushing force in a tightly occupied space I'd direct you to the work of noted physicist Gallagher

oh my god please shut up.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking of getting a new av now that Grimes is bad, any recommendations?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mameluke posted:

Get Dan Deacon since that's who she would be with a penis.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Mameluke posted:

I thought it was Tegan & Sara so just get Tegan. Or Sara (get Tegan).

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
Liza Minnelli is timeless.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
from the CSPAM teslol thread
its all good but the real poo poo is in the last 2 pages god drat

TL;DR:
-Tesla Whistleblower is informed that a robot arm had a pin on it that was puncturing battery cells, is shown ~1200 punctured battery cells in a container.

-Whistleblower confirms the punctured cells have been short circuited internally.

-Whistleblower later notices the container is empty and finds out other Tesla employees have been filling the puncture holes with glue, and marking them as good.

-Whistleblower uses the inventory tracking system to find out where the cells ended up. 732 of the punctured cells ended up in Tesla Model 3's that were already on their way to customers.

-Tesla disables the inventory tracking system that allowed Whistleblower to do this.

-Musk goes on twitter and says the Whistleblower sabotaged Tesla operations.

:stare:jfc Musk is going to kill somebody with this poo poo and he will never be held accountable for it.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 31, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

from the CSPAM teslol thread
its all good but the real poo poo is in the last 2 pages god drat

TL;DR:
-Tesla Whistleblower is informed that a robot arm had a pin on it that was puncturing battery cells, is shown ~1200 punctured battery cells in a container.

-Whistleblower confirms the punctured cells have been short circuited internally.

-Whistleblower later notices the container is empty and finds out other Tesla employees have been filling the puncture holes with glue, and marking them as good.

-Whistleblower uses the inventory tracking system to find out where the cells ended up. 732 of the punctured cells ended up in Tesla Model 3's that were already on their way to customers.

-Tesla disables the inventory tracking system that allowed Whistleblower to do this.

-Musk goes on twitter and says the Whistleblower sabotaged Tesla operations.

:stare:jfc Musk is going to kill somebody with this poo poo and he will never be held accountable for it.

quote:

“Safety third. There’s not even a Rule Number Two. But even though there’s nothing in second place, safety is not getting promoted to number two.”

- Elon Musk

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm the dedicated battery puncturing robot

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

And I'm the pin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

bring back old gbs posted:

Jfc did he really say that "safety third" thing?That's loving... I'm at a loss for words... It's a loving TRAVESTY waiting to happen.