Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One of my big early complaints was the map guy. I didn't know he 1) whistled (I play nearly all games on mute) or 2) sent his maps up to his wife to buy after some amount of time. Figuring those out helped.

I'm really excited to get home (and get the kids to bed) then get started on Ys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DONT YOU loving DO THIS TO ME, NINTENDO.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Huxley posted:

One of my big early complaints was the map guy. I didn't know he 1) whistled (I play nearly all games on mute) or 2) sent his maps up to his wife to buy after some amount of time. Figuring those out helped.

neither of these would have helped me for greenpath sadly, because i never heard him, never saw the papers he left behind to lead to him, and when i was most desperate for a map i was balls deep in greenpath with no idea how to get the gently caress out with no map so i couldn't go out and just buy one from town

it was Bad

since then i've gotten better about finding him but i still think it's a subpar system

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 31, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I wanted to pick up Titan Quest today, but the few places I have called don't seem to have it in stock. Is it only getting a digital release today and the physical comes later? Or should it be available in stores?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Map maker leaves papers scattered around where he is.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

anyway just felt like tossing this grenade in the thread. i'm gonna stick with it because there are enough things i like about the world itself and the npcs that i want to see more of it. we'll see if it holds my interest long enough to beat it

No that's all pretty fair. Some areas are dull, though not many, and Deepnest is awful and is meant to be and if it bothers you that much they did a good job with it. I wish you luck with your map troubles, but if you progress enough you can just buy them all. It's nota great solution but it helps in the end.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Also hums loudly.

Only place I had to buy the map in dirtmouth was I think fog canyon because he's actually behind a black wall land I finished that area long before I could pass it

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I was cast adrift in a sea of microtransactions, loot boxes, and unlock able cosmetics. Beset on all sides by battle royales, battle passes, and battles against developers. I've seen the things we've all seen.  fillable progress bars, day one DLC, endless loot treadmills, skinner boxes for boxes of skins...

i thought gaming had passed me by... now I know there's a better way... The Nintendo way.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

wait DSR still isnt out?

glad i didnt wait

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Bloop posted:

Also hums loudly.

literally mentioned both of these in a follow up post my friends

greenpath is like the second place you ever go to in the game. it was far too early in the game for me to correlate papers on the ground meaning he is nearby, so it's not something i was actively looking for. i never heard his jaunty tunes, but if i had i would have looked because by that point i had at least learned that usually meant an NPC is around.

but early in greenpath you see a npc you've never seen before, but they run away. so naturally you are drawn to follow them. and i got so focused on following them that i eventually hit a rest stop halfway through greenpath that i realized i had no idea where i was, no idea how i got there, and had no idea where to go. nothing was memorable because everything is just green and you can go in what feels like any direction when you can't even open a blank map and see your compass.

i think "no map" doesn't work as well in a metroid style game as it does in dark souls which is an inherently more linear experience (and 3d being easier to remember)

100YrsofAttitude posted:

No that's all pretty fair. Some areas are dull, though not many, and Deepnest is awful and is meant to be and if it bothers you that much they did a good job with it.

to be clear i think they did a good job in the general atmosphere of deepnest, but my main complaint about the sound of deepnest isn't really rooted in it being spooky but actually it's just too drat loud. particularly rooms of multiple giant worms. sounds like fuckin construction machinery is going on and it just kinda sucks to listen to and not in a good way.

also you run into zote the mighty and i feel like the frequency on his grunts are 400% higher than they should be jesus CHRIST dude i'm COMING just shut the fuk UP

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Also hums loudly.

Only place I had to buy the map in dirtmouth was I think fog canyon because he's actually behind a black wall land I finished that area long before I could pass it

Wait you can but the map in dirtmouth without getting past that barrier in fog canyon? I’ve checked up there several times

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Only once you find where he was chilling

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought deepnest was really short and didn't live up to the hype of the map maker being scared of it, but I already had the lantern before I got there

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

A year ago, this would be seen as a fake made in photoshop.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well that image was definitely made in photoshop. Whether it's real or not.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I thought deepnest was really short and didn't live up to the hype of the map maker being scared of it, but I already had the lantern before I got there
I didn't really find it personally upsetting, since I don't mind spiders. I thought the Royal Waterways were much worse. But it makes sense within the game world that the mapmaker is scared, because Deep Nest rejected overtures of peaceful coexistence with the Pale King, and anyone that came into their domain was killed or had their bodies taken over by spiders. It was so bad that the Pale King sealed all of Deep Nest off with a huge door and made a deal with the mantises to guard the door with their best fighters to keep anyone but the very strongest away. The creatures of Deep Nest do not gently caress around and don't want friends. Of course the jolly mapmaker is terrified.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Only once you find where he was chilling

Once you beat the area boss. You don't actually have to read his note or even find it.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
I wish Hollow Knight would click for me, but I’m over 5 hours in and while I think it’s an incredibly well-made game, I’m not as enamored with it as some here. Surprisingly, Golf Story has been the bigger time sink for me out of the two I bought recently

Golf Story, on the other hand, is a game I absolutely adore. I can’t find much fault with it, except for the issue of not seeing slopes due to it being on a 2D plane

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I wish Hollow Knight would click for me, but I’m over 5 hours in and while I think it’s an incredibly well-made game, I’m not as enamored with it as some here. Surprisingly, Golf Story has been the bigger time sink for me out of the two I bought recently

Golf Story, on the other hand, is a game I absolutely adore. I can’t find much fault with it, except for the issue of not seeing slopes due to it being on a 2D plane

Boy, you'd better enamor yourself and quick if you know what's good for ya

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess I better buy Hollow Knight pretty soon before I'm forced to wear some sort of badge that says I haven't played it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder how much R&D money labo took, compared to a vidya game.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WHY BONER NOW posted:

more, probably

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

That depends, do you consider Labo's R&D expenses to be different from the constant R&D Nintendo does?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Nintendo released their quarterly earnings report, and so far they haven't adjusted their forecast. Have a list:

• Three Nintendo million sellers in descending order: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Tennis Aces and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has sold over 10 million copies so far
  • The Nintendo Labo series has sold 1.39 million copies
  • Life-to-date sales of Nintendo Switch: 19.67 million units with 86 million software sales

There's also a mention of some title called "Fitness Boxing" that will be published by Nintendo this coming winter. Who knows what that is.

I wonder how much of that is me buying games I'll only play for half an hour and then never delete off of my SD card because my brain is broken.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Since AAA Switch games are pricey, I decided to start up my Gamefly sub. Hope I get away with trying to do another free month trial. Gonna try Splatoon 2, and Octopath Traveler, but the availability on that one is low.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

This is from several pages back (I'm catching up) but:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The best non-voice-chat method I've encountered was found in Triforce Heroes. Everyone should be allowed to communicate via adorable Link emojis. It's both effective and cute. Getting your point across has never been better.

:yeah:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

Since AAA Switch games are pricey, I decided to start up my Gamefly sub. Hope I get away with trying to do another free month trial. Gonna try Splatoon 2, and Octopath Traveler, but the availability on that one is low.

The trick to gamefly which you may already know is to just put a single game in the queue and suddenly even low availability games will ship quickly.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like Rocket League’s PS4 chat system where I can enter quick D-Pad inputs to let someone know they’re doing well or bring up a full text box when I want to let them know I’m “suckin dick for keys.”

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

That depends, do you consider Labo's R&D expenses to be different from the constant R&D Nintendo does?

Good point, I'm sure there's a lot of crossover. Still, I'm sure there's a ledger out there documenting what Nintendo considers labo expenses. I wonder if they hired on new employees for the project. :shrug:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kiranamos posted:

On the one hand, I feel guilty that capitalism allows me to get money regularly deposited into my bank account at the expense of millions of poor people. On the other hand, I just bought Overcooked 2.
I bet you don’t feel guilty

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Gay Horney posted:

I was cast adrift in a sea of microtransactions, loot boxes, and unlock able cosmetics. Beset on all sides by battle royales, battle passes, and battles against developers. I've seen the things we've all seen.  fillable progress bars, day one DLC, endless loot treadmills, skinner boxes for boxes of skins...

i thought gaming had passed me by... now I know there's a better way... The Nintendo way.

I'm reading this imagining it in the Darkest Dungeon Narrator voice

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

MrSargent posted:

I wanted to pick up Titan Quest today, but the few places I have called don't seem to have it in stock. Is it only getting a digital release today and the physical comes later? Or should it be available in stores?

I preordered it from Amazon back when there was a pricing mistake ($25) and my copy arrived today.

Still a little nervous to unwrap and play, in case it ends up being as poor of a port as it might be

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, I've tried everything to fix my left joystick but the drift is just becoming too severe.

It's okay in some games but anything that requires precision is unplayable.
I can use it as a single controller for Mario Kart but I'm gonna shelve it and get a new pair.

I really, REALLY want the pink/green but I have boycotted Amazon and they have the best price by far.

Edit:
You know what, as much as I use this perfect console I am surprised I didn't have an issue earlier.
My 360 controller didn't last as long and I didn't carry that thing in my backpack.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

bowmore posted:

I bet you don’t feel guilty

Who could feel guilty after buying Overcooked 2?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

bowmore posted:

I bet you dont feel guilty

Thanks for this high quality post! :thumbsup:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That indie game weird nerds like is getting a collector's edition in Japan

But more importantly, since Nintendo has refused to give us a new Cooking Mama some other company is stepping up to the plate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro_oXFFc3fY

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Titan Quest is 60 dollareedoos hahahahahaha nice switch tax

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Titan Quest is 60 dollareedoos hahahahahaha nice switch tax

No, it's 40 dollars.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, it's 40 dollars.

It’s also winter :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The combat in undertale seems like a cross between a text based adventure and a bullet hell shmup

• Locked thread