Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Hey Rio, have you ever seen this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEtz15mK7nc

It kind of subverts my usual 'go up with thirds for intervals' by using inversions to actually just play around 3 chords as you go up, and I'm not gonna lie, in half an hour I just became extremely aware of a few different shapes for inverted chords that I've been putting off for literally months now. My hand aches, but I was able to follow along to pretty much every exercise, an octave down for guitar, but otherwise identically. It was really cool and I want to know your thoughts on putting improvisation together like this.

No, I haven’t seen it. I am just getting home from a gig after a really long drive but I will certainly check it out tonight and report back - it looks like the kind of thing I like so thanks for the link.

Gnumonic posted:

Hey guitar thread:

Who do y'all think are underrated/insufficiently appreciated guitarists? To get this started, I'll nominate two people:

1) George loving Benson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVc5rCl0BIs

I feel like serious jazz dudes don't take him seriously enough (maybe because he sings while he plays?), but this guy is a beast. Just as good with a pick as he is without one, amazing melodic sensibility, perfect technique.

Some people do give him poo poo for “selling out” but no one calls him out in jazz circles for not being able to play. Hell, he even has a picking style named after him (Benson picking, which is very good poo poo and worth checking out regardless of the style people play). If you listen to some of his early non-commercial stuff it is easily apparent that he can play his rear end off and took the Wes Montgomery tradition to the next level. Selfishly, it is kind of a shame what direction he went since he was (well, is) such an amazing talent playing straight ahead jazz since I would love to have decades of albums with him playing his rear end off on standards. But he has been a huge commercial success, brought non-jazz listeners to jazz, had one of the earliest Ibanez signature models (the GB10, an excellent guitar)and several other good to great signature models since and does still play straight ahead but not as much. And he seems to love what he is playing so I can’t fault him at all for all of those reasons - it does have people creating an unfair opinion of him sometimes. I haven’t heard anyone talk poo poo on him since college though around 2000. I think college kids can be real jazz snobs (speaking from experience unfortunately...I was the worst) but as they get older they are less dickish and learn to appreciate him for what he did and what he does. He’s definitely one of my favorite and most respected players now and I will eat up any straight ahead stuff he releases and still try to listen to his other stuff at least once even though it is not my bag of tea.

Edit: you might have seen this since because of the sick tap dancing it was going around social media but here is some of the super legit Wes style playing Benson can do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjCg7o1quAQ Start at 1:49 (another group is playing before that).

rio fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
What are the go-to maintenance kits these days for the usual array of fret-leveling, truss rod work, etc? There's dozens out there on Amazon right now.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

What are the go-to maintenance kits these days for the usual array of fret-leveling, truss rod work, etc? There's dozens out there on Amazon right now.

Stew Mac?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This breaks down a bit when you start talking about unusual time signatures like 6/8 7/8 alternating like some dream theater songs do. The rules I’ve outlined cover ‘traditional’ music and if you looked at any Mozart or Bach chart they would work fine. Stuff like 13/8 is really just smaller measures put together like legos.

Generally, 7/8 isn’t a compound meter, it’s just 4/4 with the last 8th ripped out., but each beat is still divisible by two; written notation makes quarter notes impractical at this point, so we use 8th notes!

6/8 is different; it’s 2 beats, divided into thirds. 9/8 is equivalent to 3/8 and 12/4 is like 4/4.

In compound meter, the bottom value only represents a third of the beat. 6/8 means that an 8th note is a third of the actual beat, which is a dotted quarter. 12/4 has 4 beats, and the beat is a dotted half.

6/8 is just exceedingly common; 6/2 and 6/16 both sound identical to 6/8, but they look ridiculous on paper so we don’t use them.

Songs where 6/8 is divided into 3 emphasized beats is actually just 3/4. Functionally there’s no purpose for a 8/8 measure; even if it’s one musical phrase inside it, it’s just either 4/4 or two counts of 4 separated by a bar line you don’t feel in the music.

A topical thread on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/musictheory/comments/92q99a/counting_44_as_88/

lol that thread is just as confused as me. "They're the same!" "No they're different!" "No 8/8 is compound!"

Someone in there is getting at what I'm saying about 8/8, that its purpose is to say that there's accenting on the 8th notes that adds a triplet feel to parts of it, instead of a straight 4/4 feel. Like you're saying about 6/8 - you call it that when the notes are in triplets, if you pair them up into 3 beats then just call it 3/4

Maybe that's not the real definition, I see what you're saying about 8 being a third of the beat and how 8/8 doesn't really make sense in that case, but it definitely helps me to count things that way. Same with 7/8, treating it as 2-2-3 or whatever pattern just makes more intuitive sense to me than 3 and a half notes in 4/4, y'know?

I'm not arguing, just this definition feels kinda weird and alien, and a bit awkward, so I'm just trying to square it with stuff I know! :frogbon:

I was thinking about bossa nova too (which I wanna call 16/8 because it's triplety as hell) and came across this cool page
http://www.drumstyles.com/Genres/Latin/Bossa-Nova/
Wanna hear 7 bossa nova patterns play simultaneously for some reason? Course ya do

I guess correctly those would just be 4/4 because it's notated as two 8th notes per beat though?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

250 👀

It has a pretty nasty chip though which is the only reason it was that cheap.

I’ve never played a PRS before. I like it quite a bit actually!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Definitely worth 250 if that’s the only defect. Can just sand and make it look relic’d.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 30, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's like the ding that leads to Straplock Enlightenment, pretty hilarious if it can knock a premium guitar down to that kind of price

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

baka kaba posted:

lol that thread is just as confused as me. "They're the same!" "No they're different!" "No 8/8 is compound!"

Someone in there is getting at what I'm saying about 8/8, that its purpose is to say that there's accenting on the 8th notes that adds a triplet feel to parts of it, instead of a straight 4/4 feel. Like you're saying about 6/8 - you call it that when the notes are in triplets, if you pair them up into 3 beats then just call it 3/4

Maybe that's not the real definition, I see what you're saying about 8 being a third of the beat and how 8/8 doesn't really make sense in that case, but it definitely helps me to count things that way. Same with 7/8, treating it as 2-2-3 or whatever pattern just makes more intuitive sense to me than 3 and a half notes in 4/4, y'know?

I'm not arguing, just this definition feels kinda weird and alien, and a bit awkward, so I'm just trying to square it with stuff I know! :frogbon:

I was thinking about bossa nova too (which I wanna call 16/8 because it's triplety as hell) and came across this cool page
http://www.drumstyles.com/Genres/Latin/Bossa-Nova/
Wanna hear 7 bossa nova patterns play simultaneously for some reason? Course ya do

I guess correctly those would just be 4/4 because it's notated as two 8th notes per beat though?

The definition I provided is very much so not really seen nowadays. It's the more basic idea of how simple and compound meters work, in relation to classical music. At the most basic level, simple meter is beats divided into two, and compound meter is beats split into three.

In modern music, people change these to create new sounds, and so you aren't wrong when you say that 8/8 could be made by going 3+3+2. In some regards, it is now a mixture, and some people like to call it compound just because it does mix these two together. When I refer to compound I strictly mean it in the sense of 'this is a tune where the triplet feels is the 'natural' one.

Still, even with '8/8', just because you are separating your -accents- into 3/3/2 doesn't mean that it isn't still counted as a simple meter. Just pretend that there are accent marks on top of each of those notes. This combination of rhythms is syncopation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncopation

It's still simple meter, because when you remove the syncopation, you are back to 4/4 time with beats that neatly divide into 2. If it was compound meter, say 12/8, there would be 3 + 3 + 3 + 3, with each 3 being its own beat. You could syncopate THIS as well, to go, say for example, 3 + 3 + 4 + 2. The water gets murky here, and for obvious reasons. Once you start adding or subtracting single beats onto this stuff, the traditional rules break down quite a bit; at this point, it makes more sense to just count each single subdivision as its own beat, and then separate like that. It's also song dependant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbwBsAGCMLE

In this tune, the first 'chunk' of this song would mostly be counted like this, based on the accents I hear with the drums:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 / 1 2 3
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 / 1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 / 1 2 3
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 / 1 2 3 4 5 / 1 2 3

When you start looking at complex rhythms like this, it makes much more sense to just count from 1 until you hit your next accent, then start over. 2/2/3 or 3/3/2 makes a ton of sense when thought of this way, but it kind of ignores traditional meter rules. Generally, people will use compound meter to describe this, even if it doesn't match up with the 'classic' meaning of 'meter where beats are divided into thirds.'

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

baka kaba posted:

That's like the ding that leads to Straplock Enlightenment, pretty hilarious if it can knock a premium guitar down to that kind of price

It's an SE so the price cut isn't quite as dramatic as it sounds. Still about half what they go for on Reverb, though.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I actually can't find a version of this exact axe for less than 700 bucks. It seems the SE Singlecut with the inlays is uncommon?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The definition I provided is very much so not really seen nowadays. It's the more basic idea of how simple and compound meters work, in relation to classical music. At the most basic level, simple meter is beats divided into two, and compound meter is beats split into three.

In modern music, people change these to create new sounds, and so you aren't wrong when you say that 8/8 could be made by going 3+3+2. In some regards, it is now a mixture, and some people like to call it compound just because it does mix these two together. When I refer to compound I strictly mean it in the sense of 'this is a tune where the triplet feels is the 'natural' one.

Right, this is pretty much what I mean though, stuff like 8/8 does have a triplet feel (in my version of things) and that's why I don't just call it 4/4 even though they both have eight 8th notes. Like for a simpler example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBfygUiS50g

I'd argue that intro very definitely has a triplet feel, and even though you can look at it as 4 beats with accents shifted onto the off-beats, to me it just makes way more sense to look at it as 3-3-2. There's no 1-2-3-4 feel at all. Then when the verse riff comes in, that is more like 4/4, because the drums are very clearly hitting that pulse with the snare. There's syncopation around it (ignoring the usual rock even beats syncopation obv) but that feels grounded in the steady 4-beat pulse. It feels "simple", and the intro feels "compound". Nah mean?

I guess my problem is some of this feels kinda academic, like as a way you can describe the music that certainly makes sense and is a simple rule, but the end result can be awkward and doesn't really reflect how the music sounds. Or that it just generalises inconsistently, like how 6/8 is different from 3/4 because it feels different, but other triplety stuff like 8/8 just gets rolled into 4/4 for technical reasons. The distinction between simple and compound doesn't seem as useful as my (wrong) definition

I don't read much notation though so I'm guessing it's just easier to think that way? Like if you notated one of those bossa staves as 8/8, would you have to redo the whole thing to account for each beat being divided into thirds, but you have 8 in a bar so it's like 2.6666666 beats or something? Man I don't know

Also I agree with the Dream Theater counting, except I'd call it 1234-123-123 because I can't really "feel" 7 beats, 5 is ok though! I'd be tempted to split those fives into 12-123 though just because of the drums landing on those too. I am a nublet though

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Yeah; splitting it into smaller numbers is good too. It’s definitely preference because the ultimate point is to not get lost! 😂

As for how you described; why not describe it as 6/8, with a 2/4 measure afterwards? This is ALSO a common rhythm option.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh sure, and that's actually more descriptive in terms of where the accents fall (so you know it's not 3-2-3). But it's just more of a "hey there's 8 notes and it's triplet feel" thing for me

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You could also see it as 9/8 minus a beat without too much fanfare.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At the end of the day rule number 1 is "does this communicate the desired effect to the musician who's reading the sheet music?". All else is, quite literally, academic.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Thanks to all the discussion confusing me even more, I just added ‘Beats per Measure ‘ and you can pick 2 through 7. :v:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Dang, I really like the chord progression for Hebb's Sunny. What a unique take on the AABA sound.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Speaking of which, here thread, listen to a tune I wrote:

https://soundcloud.com/jacob-staudt/shining

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

thinking about buying an electric soon. what's the cheapest squier strat that's up to snuff for demo recording/writing?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

landgrabber posted:

thinking about buying an electric soon. what's the cheapest squier strat that's up to snuff for demo recording/writing?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratCV60ISB--squier-classic-vibe-stratocaster-60s-3-tone-sunburst-with-indian-laurel-fingerboard that’s what I have and it’s as good as it gets imo for a basic strat. I want to change the pickups sometime but I feel bad since they’re so good. I like that guitar more than a $1,500 American Strat I previously owned.

If that’s pricier than you want there’s the Squier Deluxe line as well. They go for $300 new. I haven’t played one but I’ve heard good things.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratDSMPW--squier-deluxe-strat-pearl-white

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hi - It's the payday tomorrow. Do yourself a favor and order this boutique pedal.
Bigsound Smallsound MIni

I ordered it randomly last month based off a random Reddit comment.

It's probably my favorite pedal and I've ordered like 10 pedals this year.......it's awesome. What a GREAT JFET sound.

(I bought the pink, and it's epic)

http://www.smallsoundbigsound.com/products/mini/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz0l9wcYqC4

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

landgrabber posted:

The Squier bullet strats are $150 and pretty decent. They have a few different configurations now too.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

The Squier bullet strats are $150 and pretty decent. They have a few different configurations now too.

i was thinking about going after that daphne blue squier deluxe strat if i end up getting a guitar - it's a battle between that and a jazz bass. it's pretty sexy and i can put a tortoise pickguard on it later to become rivers cuomo.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

landgrabber posted:

i was thinking about going after that daphne blue squier deluxe strat if i end up getting a guitar - it's a battle between that and a jazz bass. it's pretty sexy and i can put a tortoise pickguard on it later to become rivers cuomo.

i guess this goes to say that if anyone out there has one they'd be willing to part with for like low 200s to a goon, i'd be glad to be on the receiving end of that - i've kind of just sat here for the last maybe six months wanting to play guitar and not owning one so i figure that's not really going to go away (and each time i've played my sister's guitars i've just wanted my own a little more)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I actually am selling a big stack on reverb since I’m moving; take a look at my stock and if there’s something you’re interested I’ll give you a goon discount. :)

https://reverb.com/shop/jacobs-gear-outlet-207

Reverb takes a cut anyway so if we skip that you can just have whatever they would have gotten.

There’s also a white Squier contemporary strat I have that I’ll be posting on there later tonight if those interested you.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

I actually am selling a big stack on reverb since I’m moving; take a look at my stock and if there’s something you’re interested I’ll give you a goon discount. :)

Reverb takes a cut anyway so if we skip that you can just have whatever they would have gotten.

There’s also a white Squier contemporary strat I have that I’ll be posting on there later tonight if those interested you.

hmmm... is the white contemporary you mention in this post the one with the active pickups? if i get a strat i'm going for single coils :/

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Yeah it’s the active variant. Single coils have their own flavor; I don’t blame you. :)

Part of why I feel much more sure of my taste in hardware is that I’ve tried so much of it! You should go for what ‘does’ it for you aesthetically, and then see how your tastes evolve. :)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Are you aware how much postage reverb is adding to international costs? For Australia, its about $240, so you're likely to get domestic sales only. Reverb is only useful to me for local stuff or to see what the market is like. A shame, because that Epi Wildkat is cute and a drat good price even over here!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Sadly, and the international shipping is about 180 across all of those. I’m aware that domestic is all thats likely, but even with fees and shipping I’m bound to get a better price than just taking them to a guitar exchange.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Sadly, and the international shipping is about 180 across all of those. I’m aware that domestic is all thats likely, but even with fees and shipping I’m bound to get a better price than just taking them to a guitar exchange.

i might have to heavily consider that jazz master - how much would it be if i just sent you the cash through paypal? does it come with the tremolo arm? does mbv sound good on it?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Throw me 250 cash and you have a deal. Includes shipping. I bought it new a few months ago, I am just moving and since I have to consolidate I’m only keeping my more sentimental or unique axes.

I do have the trem bar, and I already put loctite on the bridge so you won’t get that awful buzz they have stock. Tbh it plays fantastic, but I have 17 instruments that play fantastic and I don’t need all of them. 😂

Pm me and I’ll get my paypal. We could also do ApplePay if you have it; this method is completely fee free so I prefer it.

E: lowered it another 10 bucks since you’re a goon. It’s going to a good home. :)

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Throw me 250 cash and you have a deal. Includes shipping. I bought it new a few months ago, I am just moving and since I have to consolidate I’m only keeping my more sentimental or unique axes.

I do have the trem bar, and I already put loctite on the bridge so you won’t get that awful buzz they have stock. Tbh it plays fantastic, but I have 17 instruments that play fantastic and I don’t need all of them. 😂

Pm me and I’ll get my paypal. We could also do ApplePay if you have it; this method is completely fee free so I prefer it.

E: lowered it another 10 bucks since you’re a goon. It’s going to a good home. :)

i'm not talking like, tonight - when does it have to be out by? i'm waiting on a camera lens i don't use anymore that's worth about two hundred (and i have the rest of the cash in my pocket right now) so if it can wait a week or so i'd be glad to take you up on that.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
No rush; I’m going to keep the listing on reverb but if it’s still for sale a week, two weeks from now, it’s yours.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Since I’m moving tomorrow, here’s my annual family photo! I think you can understand why I’m selling 11 instruments. :v

https://imgur.com/gallery/qZXdLy9

The second photo is what I would like to reduce my electric guitar selection down to; I don’t need 19 guitars no matter how nice that sounds.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, you have to do what you have to, I'd also prefer selling via Reverb than ebay, which has a most chequered history with sellers, particularly overseas. But freight is just killing everyone everywhere else, and on top of that our stupid government added a tariff to online purchases over $1k, we have Trumpian stupidity here too.

edit: oh wow, that's a collection alright :v:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ewe2 posted:

Yeah, you have to do what you have to, I'd also prefer selling via Reverb than ebay, which has a most chequered history with sellers, particularly overseas. But freight is just killing everyone everywhere else, and on top of that our stupid government added a tariff to online purchases over $1k, we have Trumpian stupidity here too.

edit: oh wow, that's a collection alright :v:

where are you specifically?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

landgrabber posted:

where are you specifically?

Australia, that little country that thinks it's a US state :v:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

What pickups are in the 8-String? Oh who am I kidding... what's the best way to pay you for it? :v: :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
if it wasn't for the sticker I'd be all over that strat with the EMGs, but I wanna save money too.