Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

just finished far harbor in my current playthrough, which is always a good time

everything is hosed up, nick, let's just go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

Codsworth and Curie are aldo solid choice for alteration. They lose the ability to wear hats, but in exchange become superbly lethal while also being their normal unflappable or naive selves, which is an amusing contrast.

Eh, I never bothered upgrading curie for, you know, reasons. I also never upgraded codsworth because that hat is IMPORTANT.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Keeshhound posted:

Codsworth and Curie are aldo solid choice for alteration. They lose the ability to wear hats, but in exchange become superbly lethal while also being their normal unflappable or naive selves, which is an amusing contrast.

Please remember to remove your best robot mods from curie before putting her in a synth body because she switches back to her original form at the memory den before the transfer and her previous body just vanishes

Also the best thing about the mechanist dlc is having jezebel just hang around sanctuary in a nuka mascot body

Edit: in fact I think the nuka mascot legs are objectively the best aesthetically and all robots should have them

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Well, I joined the Brotherhood of Steel.
I was promised my own suit of power armour, but instead, I just get sent on errands by Danse's underlings. Talk about a bait and switch.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
You just go talk to No-Leggy Sue in the Power Armor Bay and she hooks you up.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

You just go talk to No-Leggy Sue in the Power Armor Bay and she hooks you up.

An unprecedented level of character depth for a East coast BoS member, almost immersion breakingly so

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

im boring and just always make ada the bestest assaultron she can be

See by that I assume you mean all sentry bot parts except the legs, which are assaultron legs.

Because that strut is loving magical.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait you can change things about Ada other than her legs? Because I couldn't change poo poo.

Building custom bots from scratch is great fun, though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Wait you can change things about Ada other than her legs? Because I couldn't change poo poo.

Building custom bots from scratch is great fun, though.

You're supposed to be able to change everything. Early on it looks like you can't because you can only build parts you've seen. Doing the whole quest line unlocks everything but yeah soon after you get her you probably don't have many parts available.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ada is just a personality basically, you can modify every component of her chassis same as any other robot.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

See by that I assume you mean all sentry bot parts except the legs, which are assaultron legs.

Because that strut is loving magical.

It also means that she is about 70% more likely to be able to navigate doors.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Guy who's playing for the first time: before you finish the Mechanist quests, you should find a guy named Kent in a place called Goodneighbor. He has some quests that are worth doing. For reasons.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dr.Smasher posted:

Guy who's playing for the first time: before you finish the Mechanist quests, you should find a guy named Kent in a place called Goodneighbor. He has some quests that are worth doing. For reasons.

This. A lot.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Alright, I'm on it. I'll report back afterwards.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Keeshhound posted:

I tried putting Curie in a lethal assaultron assassin body, but she refused to make any melee attacks. Don't know what the deal was. Just stood there while people wailed on her. :(

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Strudel Man posted:

I tried putting Curie in a lethal assaultron assassin body, but she refused to make any melee attacks. Don't know what the deal was. Just stood there while people wailed on her. :(

This might sound dumb but did you try giving her any weapons? Each arm can attach a weapon and most of the stuff doesn’t have one attached by default like you may think

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Actually let me tell you all about the umami properties of breast milk

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

This might sound dumb but did you try giving her any weapons? Each arm can attach a weapon and most of the stuff doesn’t have one attached by default like you may think
I'm not quite that dumb. I even invested a point (or two? I don't remember) into blacksmith to get her the better sword arms.

edit: Stealth blade, that's what it was.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 1, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Keeshhound posted:

My biggest disappointment with automation is that there wasn't some kind of robot tournament fighting league to join.

But you can. There are red and blue floor things you can place and assign people to. When you have 1 robot/person assigned to the blue and one to the red they will start fighting. You can build robots and have them duke it out, for example a melee tankbot vs. a laser gatling jet-robot. It's extremely unrewarding though, the pathfinding is abysmal so don't try to build an arena that is anything but a big open space.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Strudel Man posted:

I'm not quite that dumb. I even invested a point (or two? I don't remember) into blacksmith to get her the better sword arms.

edit: Stealth blade, that's what it was.

Huh, might be a bug specific to that weapon, or melee, I had her with a missle launcher and Gatling laser with no problems apart from normal companion incompetence

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Huh, might be a bug specific to that weapon, or melee, I had her with a missle launcher and Gatling laser with no problems apart from normal companion incompetence
Oh, yeah, I definitely meant it was melee-specific. (Though I realize now I maybe didn't communicate that clearly.) When I stuck guns on her she used them.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TjyvTompa posted:

But you can. There are red and blue floor things you can place and assign people to. When you have 1 robot/person assigned to the blue and one to the red they will start fighting. You can build robots and have them duke it out, for example a melee tankbot vs. a laser gatling jet-robot. It's extremely unrewarding though, the pathfinding is abysmal so don't try to build an arena that is anything but a big open space.

That's part of Wasteland Workshop, I'm pretty sure. And I didn't mean being able to make your own robot fighting arena, I meant that there should have been a side mission about fighting premade robots that were a step up from the standard ones the rust devils/mechanist make.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Update: I haven't been to Goodneighbor yet. I fell down the rabbit hole of base building.

I've gotten the Local Leader lvl 2 perk, so I've been busy building up my drive in theatre and customizing my workshop area. Once I run out of wood and steel, I'll head back to questing.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The drive-in is my favorite settlement in the game from a practical standpoint, being both centrally located for the first half of the game and offering a vast amount of clear space in which to build. Have fun with it!

On another note, am I the only nerd who names all my favorite guns? I roll with a revolver called The Big Iron, a tricked out combat rifle called Tacticool and a sniper rifle called Several Shots One Kill

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Oh yeah naming guns and armor is super important and necessary if you've named them.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I buffed up my first pipe rifle with as many damage / distance / accuracy mods as possible, and ended up with a pretty good sniper rifle. It looked rusty as crap, so I called it Tetanus Shot.

I've been rolling with a combat shotgun for close combat, and once I can upgrade it to automatic, with a drum magazine, I'll rename it The Street Sweeper.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Riatsala posted:

The drive-in is my favorite settlement in the game from a practical standpoint, being both centrally located for the first half of the game and offering a vast amount of clear space in which to build. Have fun with it!

On another note, am I the only nerd who names all my favorite guns? I roll with a revolver called The Big Iron, a tricked out combat rifle called Tacticool and a sniper rifle called Several Shots One Kill

The Overseer's Guardian is the only gun.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The Zombie Guy posted:

Update: I haven't been to Goodneighbor yet. I fell down the rabbit hole of base building.

I've gotten the Local Leader lvl 2 perk, so I've been busy building up my drive in theatre and customizing my workshop area. Once I run out of wood and steel, I'll head back to questing.

If you're building and the resources start acting funny like they're available then not then available again your Provisioner is being attacked. You will likely be within earshot of the gunfire.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've been rolling with a combat shotgun for close combat, and once I can upgrade it to automatic, with a drum magazine, I'll rename it The Street Sweeper.

I literally did this plus API for when the going gets tough.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i found a two-shot 10mm pistol and gave it to piper naming it the good news

i gave cait a 50% limb damage combat shotgun with a short barrel and bayonet and named it amends

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Berke Negri posted:

i found a two-shot 10mm pistol and gave it to piper naming it the good news

i gave cait a 50% limb damage combat shotgun with a short barrel and bayonet and named it amends

Nice, I made her a custom Freedom of the Press.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i don't really bother with naming armor though as i usually swap it out constantly depending on my mood since i mostly just have it for looks

but a good legendary weapon always is gonna get something thematically appropriate

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I add a dash or other symbol on anything I wear for sorting purposes.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Rinkles posted:

I add a dash or other symbol on anything I wear for sorting purposes.

Just use a space and it'll show up at the top of all of your stuff.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Riatsala posted:

Yep. It has helped keep them straight from the random junk I loot to scrap and sell. Notable names: Plinko, Plinko Deux, Stabby, Shotty, Plashotty, Zappy, AR-77

The Zombie Guy posted:

That's how I've been doing it. It's seemed like a good balance. I closed out Nuka World a few days ago and am taking a break from Fallout 4 (and gaming in general, tbh) for a few weeks, when I get back to it I'm thinking a grand tour to tweak and work on my settlements will be just the ticket.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You're supposed to be able to change everything. Early on it looks like you can't because you can only build parts you've seen. Doing the whole quest line unlocks everything but yeah soon after you get her you probably don't have many parts available.

OwlFancier posted:

Ada is just a personality basically, you can modify every component of her chassis same as any other robot.

Well poo poo. I'll have to see what I can do with her. Her pathfinding is bugged out so that even though I have her assigned to Greygarden (where I have all of my robots), she just goes and stands at the place I first built the robotics workshop...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 2, 2018

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

FO4 progress:

I got to Goodneighbor, found Kent, and as soon as I got his quest, I kinda figured where this was headed. So... Yeah, I'm basically Machine Gun Batman. I've stopped a few evil doers, and now I hear radio broadcasts about The Mechanist. Now I see why you guys suggested I do this before finishing Ada's quest.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

The Zombie Guy posted:

FO4 progress:

I got to Goodneighbor, found Kent, and as soon as I got his quest, I kinda figured where this was headed. So... Yeah, I'm basically Machine Gun Batman. I've stopped a few evil doers, and now I hear radio broadcasts about The Mechanist. Now I see why you guys suggested I do this before finishing Ada's quest.

Please tell me you wore the outfit when you were stopping those evil doers

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

since the captain cosmos creation was actually a pretty decent quest + loot im hoping they have the same person do one for all the other unstoppables so i can just dress everyone up as super heroes

i demand a mistress of mystery outfit and a jangles the moon monkey costume for dogmeat

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Dr.Smasher posted:

Please tell me you wore the outfit when you were stopping those evil doers

Of course. I did the voice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Make sure you're dressed as the Shroud when you do the last mission for ADA