Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Beachcomber posted:

I don't see Steven ever being cool with breeding new gems at the expense of indigenous life.

I'm pretty sure "Steven's court" refers to the Crystal Gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm pretty sure it's where Connie will keep up with tennis practice while away on Homeworld

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If Steven has to be in charge of a colony, especially somewhere other than Earth, why not oversee operations on the nearby planet, Venus? Pretty sure there's no indigenous life there, at least to our knowledge.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

If Steven has to be in charge of a colony, especially somewhere other than Earth, why not oversee operations on the nearby planet, Venus? Pretty sure there's no indigenous life there, at least to our knowledge.

Venus is actually where the sneople live.

They're very shy.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
stevens gonna found gemerica and declare independance

hopefully it'll pan out better for the natives.

hopefully it'll pan out better in general.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It'd be great if trying to learn about his leadership skills among the crystal Gems one of the Diamonds tried to infiltrate only to be immediately recognised. "You are clearly not that Blue Zircon. For starters, her gem is square, your gem is DIAMOND shaped! Secondly, you're crying right now and it's making me cry, could you please stop crying I'm not mad, goddamnit :qq:"

On that note I love the visual when Blue does that - she isn't just making the other gems cry, the tears are physically too big for their eyes, they are crying her tears. It was a good, haunting tell that she was near.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 31, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mraagvpeine posted:

The fact that one of the few dozen colony worlds in multiple galaxies was Earth implies that maybe gems can only be made by leeching existing life.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"Bastard! How many planets have you sucked to repair this homeworld?"

"Do you remember how many breads have you eaten in your life?"

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Azza Bamboo posted:

"Bastard! How many planets have you sucked to repair this homeworld?"

"Do you remember how many breads have you eaten in your life?"

"For you, the day White Diamond graced your planet was the most important of your life. But for me, Starlight, it was Tuesday."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
re gem gender chat from the last page: Sugar recently talked a bit about that at Comic-Con (and about six minutes into this NPR interview).

Basically, she made the gems characters who are nonbinary and perceived as women because she's nonbinary, and that's what her experience is like.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Plants are all hermaphrodites though.

Just posting this w/o reading the whole discourse happening but as someone with the username Plant MONSTER. I need you to know that this is false. :(

It's actually really complicated.

But case and point: the ubiquitous Weed plant. Usually Weed plants have the two sexes bourne on separate plants. The female plants produce way more of the good stuff. This is dioecy

Some plants will produce both solely male flowers and solely female flowers on the same plant. This is monoecy. Single sex flowers are known as imperfect.

Most plants have flowers with both gamete forming organs and they are perfect.

Ask me about my plant race AU.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 1, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mraagvpeine posted:

It sucks life force from planets. Dead planets don’t have much life force (fictional life force of planets will say either life on a planet infused into the planet or that a planet made with strong life force will spawn lots of life)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It sucks life force from planets. Dead planets don’t have much life force (fictional life force of planets will say either life on a planet infused into the planet or that a planet made with strong life force will spawn lots of life)

Another thing (which, admittedly, likely doesn't matter in this setting): You don't get the diversity of minerals we see on Earth without an active water cycle.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

maltesh posted:

Another thing (which, admittedly, likely doesn't matter in this setting): You don't get the diversity of minerals we see on Earth without an active water cycle.

Atmospheric oxygen is necessary for a lot of them, too.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Also Pearls need a very... specific set of circumstances.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The physical gems seem pretty mundane. You can break them with a regular rock or by stepping on them. Draining a bunch of planet and making it turn grey seems like the main resource they take to make.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://youtu.be/QeLxZfvtGeU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Just posting this w/o reading the whole discourse happening but as someone with the username Plant MONSTER. I need you to know that this is false. :(

It's actually really complicated.

But case and point: the ubiquitous Weed plant. Usually Weed plants have the two sexes bourne on separate plants. The female plants produce way more of the good stuff. This is dioecy

Some plants will produce both solely male flowers and solely female flowers on the same plant. This is monoecy. Single sex flowers are known as imperfect.

Most plants have flowers with both gamete forming organs and they are perfect.

Ask me about my plant race AU.

Ah, the Plant Greg theory returns.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
We already have Watermelon Steven. What would Greg be?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The Diamond Authority is Shinra

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Source: reddit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's kind of an odd situation politically but having your princess also turn out to be the rebel leader will do that.

Like I said, Steven's likely to recognise, as Bismuth has, that he's the leader of the Crystal Gems for most intents and purposes, and be considered a Diamond as long as it's useful but claim no authority besides that which Gems and humans are willing to give him.

Given this show's love of using the townies to compare and foreshadow major Gem events, Dewey Wins comes to mind; Dewey was the mayor basically because he thinks he has to be because of his lineage, but he's neither particularly good at it nor very happy with it. (also IIRC he ran unopposed) He recognises his weakness when he's actually challenged, and concedes the race to someone who's clearly more qualified and popular, at a time when the town clearly needs a change of leadership.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They also pointed out at one point that there must actually be a huge number of off colors floating around in hiding, Steven might take them all in.

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

Macaluso posted:

The Diamond Authority is Shinra

The planet's dyin', Clod!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

stevens gonna found gemerica and declare independance

hopefully it'll pan out better for the natives.

hopefully it'll pan out better in general.

So where's intergalactic France to help out with that little rebellion?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's kind of an odd situation politically but having your princess also turn out to be the rebel leader will do that.

Like I said, Steven's likely to recognise, as Bismuth has, that he's the leader of the Crystal Gems for most intents and purposes, and be considered a Diamond as long as it's useful but claim no authority besides that which Gems and humans are willing to give him.

Given this show's love of using the townies to compare and foreshadow major Gem events, Dewey Wins comes to mind; Dewey was the mayor basically because he thinks he has to be because of his lineage, but he's neither particularly good at it nor very happy with it. (also IIRC he ran unopposed) He recognises his weakness when he's actually challenged, and concedes the race to someone who's clearly more qualified and popular, at a time when the town clearly needs a change of leadership.

Oh, yeah, I didn't connect the episode with his distant ancestor in a play to that 'til you mentioned it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ramos posted:

So where's intergalactic France to help out with that little rebellion?

Le sneople.

galenanorth posted:

Oh, yeah, I didn't connect the episode with his distant ancestor in a play to that 'til you mentioned it

Like most small town mayors, I imagine the Deweys have been mostly running unopposed in a position with very little power and real responsibility, despite the occasional weirdness the Gems bring home, but things have really escalated over, well, the course of the show.

Might be foreshadowing that the best thing for the Diamonds to do might be to step down, and pursue their own interests and maybe atonement for the atrocities they'd been committing (it's hard to say how judgement should work with immortals; maybe the Diamonds could ultimately do far more good than harm if given the time with all their power) and let Gems find their own way to organise themselves, after their society has stagnated and rotted so badly under unchanging autocratic rule. Pink Diamond was fascinated with humanity the more she paid attention, noticing how much they change themselves with every moment, every year, every generation, and how they can adapt to new circumstances, whereas Gems are supposed to be static in their role, rank and power indefinitely. Gems can change though, even Homeworld's changed drastically as well as the Crystal Gems changing personally.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

kiffkin posted:

This gems are corrupted.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

kiffkin posted:

:golfclap:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The comedy option is if season 6 reveals Rebecca's true master plan, and this is actually a remake of Evita, with Steven as Eva Peron and Yellow playing the role of Juan Peron after overthrowing White in a violent coup.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
With Bismuth as Che Guevara

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Oh what a commotion, oh what a show
All Delmarva has come to town
Over the death of a half-gem,
Esteban Universe

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Peridot for Best Gem

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Weaponized kudzu could take down even the mightiest of empires.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Hmm that's interesting actually. Gems have to suck life to procreate, but Lapis can terraform and Peridot can farm. Could they put some mosses and plants and poo poo on a rock planet so that it builds a soil layer over time and is then then ready for gems later? It means instead of committing genocide each time they lay down the injectors, they just have to find new oxygen rich planets in their goldilocks zones. With a bit of tweaking they could invent a renewable source of kindergartening.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 2, 2018

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

BioEnchanted posted:

The comedy option is if season 6 reveals Rebecca's true master plan, and this is actually a remake of Evita, with Steven as Eva Peron and Yellow playing the role of Juan Peron after overthrowing White in a violent coup.
Well, he is a Diamond
In their dull, gray lives
(And that’s the toughest kind of stone,
It usually survives.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Azza Bamboo posted:

Hmm that's interesting actually. Gems have to suck life to procreate, but Lapis can terraform and Peridot can farm. Could they put some mosses and plants and poo poo on a rock planet so that it builds a soil layer over time and is then then ready for gems later? It means instead of committing genocide each time they lay down the injectors, they just have to find new oxygen rich planets in their goldilocks zones. With a bit of tweaking they could invent a renewable source of kindergartening.

I'm sure that Peridot had something like that in mind. She is probably the only person who has a thorough understanding of both Earth biology and Kindergartening.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Well, he is a Diamond
In their dull, gray lives
(And that’s the toughest kind of stone,
It usually survives.)

Don't cry for me, Blue Diamond
The truth is I never shattered

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
The episode where Peridot tried farming in the kindergarten but failed, also featured a corrupted gem that impersonated a plant, by just burying itself and chilling out. I think that's probably foreshadowing that a sustainable Gem-planting model, where they only inject a few gemlets at a time into a life-rich environment, and then have the new gems raised with & socialized among lifeforms, is probably gonna be a big part of their eventual vision for a happily-ever-after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

When in doubt, plant giant hogweed.