Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Captain Cappy posted:

Murder all the students and have Eraserhead be the protagonist getting revengeance for them.

I would unironically read an AU spin-off with Aizawa as a vigilante/lone hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Captain Cappy posted:

Murder all the students and have Eraserhead be the protagonist getting revengeance for them.

I'd watch this spinoff

Hell, he's already got the red eyes

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Mulva posted:

I know the truth hurts you but you have to find a way to live with it.

go home

you had a leg to stand on with 'wow bakugou is HILARIOUSLY lovely through deku's childhood' but the takedown of the list was super headass

plus he's not a fire dude. he can probably still beat todoroki in a straight up fight

and besides hoshikori has gone on record saying he wishes he hadn't portrayed bakugou as that much of an rear end in a top hat in the beginning so i'm willing to take that into account in a general sense

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
horikoshi shouldn’t have walked it back imo, make the kid own his lovely personality

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it really was way too much. he would've been irreconcilable

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bakugo's mom summed up his issues pretty succinctly when they were doing the home visits

like, at least he learned something by the time the remedial courses came around

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Captain Cappy posted:

He had no reason to be afraid of All Might and no one even knows All for One is a thing. I also feel like All for One would definitely want that quirk and would have taken it.

Thanks for listening.

Am I misremembering, or didn't Overhaul specifically say that the fall of All for One was shaking up the underworld? It sounds like people in his line of business did know about All for One, and that's precisely why he'd been laying low. If he'd drawn attention to himself he might have gotten his quirk stolen, for example.

To be honest though, there are plenty of "instantly win if they touch you" abilities so it doesn't seem all that special. Definitely up there as one of the better powers we've seen though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You aren't supposed to sympathize with Bakugou, for what it's worth. Like, even after walking it back I don't think he's someone you sympathize with. He's way closer to a Vegeta than a Sasuke. His whole complex with Deku is far closer to Goku and Vegetas anyway. Hell, a timeline where Goku and Vegeta met as kids probably mirrors Deku and Bakugou's.

My point is, you're supposed to watch Bakugou grow, and notice how he's doing it. He's not an underdog though, so the extent to which you root for him is gonna be way less than you do for Deku (or anyone else). Some people wanted to see how long Vegeta would pull ahead of Goku, others wanted to see what fancy way he'd gently caress up and wind up crying about losing again. There was an appeal either way. If you don't see any appeal to Bakugou at all, then :lol: on you.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like Vegeta because he's charming in his own weird arrogant way and also it's kind of fun watching him get stomped. That list of Bakugo's "redeeming qualities" someone posted earlier is really just a list of things that make his poo poo-rear end personality even worse and I still don't really enjoy seeing him in the story even if he's mellowed considerably.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Oh it's great having the total rear end in a top hat character actually face consequences for being a total rear end in a top hat. Much like it's kind of great watching most of Endeavor's kids go "Go gently caress yourself" when he tries to play better dad.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Also, I just want to make clear, I wasn't trying to say Deku sucks, or Deku drools Mirio rules, or Deku should've given OFA to Mirio, or Nighteye was right (see first point).

Just that it's unfair to pile on Mirio to boost up Deku in that one situation, which is the only way I ever see people bring it up, it's always a weird 'that just proves Deku is a true hero and worthy of ofa and Mirio isn't' cudgel. Rather than it being a tense lovely situation scene, the factor experience played in their given actions, how it helps illustrate Deku's charge in to save people instincts (which is a good thing, even if they often have negative repercussions), how Mirio's guilt later on, even if he probably made the right tactical call to save lives at the time, shows how deeply he cares about helping and saving other people (it being why he became a hero, after all), etc etc etc, all of which actually inform characterization and the story of what it means to be a hero.

I love Deku. I love Mirio. I love Eri. I even kind of love Overhaul, as much as the arc dragged on at points and he was way too resilient even with his self-healing ability. Maybe it's because I don't have a distinct favorite here that I don't hold it up as a 'see, that's why X is THE BEST' example.

Hell, I wouldn't even mind if that's all it was, it's just the need to add 'and Y is NOT' rubs me the wrong way, I guess.

Sorry, again. Definitely done on this now, wasn't trying to start any fights (knowing I'd likely get popped like poor Magne if I did).

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Clarste posted:

Am I misremembering, or didn't Overhaul specifically say that the fall of All for One was shaking up the underworld? It sounds like people in his line of business did know about All for One, and that's precisely why he'd been laying low. If he'd drawn attention to himself he might have gotten his quirk stolen, for example.

To be honest though, there are plenty of "instantly win if they touch you" abilities so it doesn't seem all that special. Definitely up there as one of the better powers we've seen though.

All For One was definitely cited as being part of the reason the yakuza had been in decline for so long, that his position on the throne of the criminal underworld meant that they suffered as a result. So Overhaul and his crew definitely knew that OFA was a serious threat, and it was only his capture that emboldened them enough to start making the big moves they were, even more than All Might's no longer being the Symbol of Peace.

Overhaul's real danger, given that, as you point out, so many people have 'if I touch you, I probably win' quirks, is that his quirk flat out kills, much like Tomura's, he's very willing to use it at the drop of a hat (even more than Tomura, since if he decides a few minutes later that he didn't want to, he can just overhaul you and bring you back), he's a very good, experienced fighter, so he's good at delivering the bad touches, and he's ridiculously resilient (due to his quirk being able to overhaul himself pretty much instantly apparently). He also even has bonus AOE abilities, on top of directly touching opponents, which is a bit much.

It's still not a god quirk or anything, the real x factor that makes it so dangerous is his willingness to kill other people without blinking. Which, of course, is what could potentially make Shimura so dangerous, too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EimiYoshikawa posted:

All For One was definitely cited as being part of the reason the yakuza had been in decline for so long, that his position on the throne of the criminal underworld meant that they suffered as a result. So Overhaul and his crew definitely knew that OFA was a serious threat, and it was only his capture that emboldened them enough to start making the big moves they were, even more than All Might's no longer being the Symbol of Peace.

Overhaul's real danger, given that, as you point out, so many people have 'if I touch you, I probably win' quirks, is that his quirk flat out kills, much like Tomura's, he's very willing to use it at the drop of a hat (even more than Tomura, since if he decides a few minutes later that he didn't want to, he can just overhaul you and bring you back), he's a very good, experienced fighter, so he's good at delivering the bad touches, and he's ridiculously resilient (due to his quirk being able to overhaul himself pretty much instantly apparently). He also even has bonus AOE abilities, on top of directly touching opponents, which is a bit much.

It's still not a god quirk or anything, the real x factor that makes it so dangerous is his willingness to kill other people without blinking. Which, of course, is what could potentially make Shimura so dangerous, too.

His undo ability is what I think the real edge there is.

If he kills someone who might cause a fuss, he can undo it once he's done, but after causing enough pain that they're not going in for a repeat. It means he can keep a low profile.

If he was just going for broad daylight crime, again, Snipe. Or Endeavor. Or All Might. He'd be a target, and even All for One wasn't strong enough to deal with All Might coming after him. Someone who couldn't even beat Mirio clean would be a pavement smear.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

I mean he can also heal any injury, repair any damages and reshape any surface so there’s a few more applications to it than most touch of death quirks.

E: Also he can use it to fuse others into himself for a power boost (and to steal their quirk?)

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 2, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Makes sense.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 2, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Captain Cappy posted:

I haven't read the manga in the while but I got through the overhaul arc and I just wanted to say now that its come up again:
- Mirio living for multiple minutes after getting shot was dumb. How do you do anything as a normal human against a guy that can instagib anyone with a touch? If I remember the author didn't even show that part, just had narration saying it, because he probably couldn't think of how either. Mirio should have died or Deku should have shown up immediately.
- Overhaul's quirk is op as gently caress and I dislike the idea of it existing. I feel like he could have instagibbed any hero who wasn't specifically Mirio so why wasn't he doing more crimes or something. He had no reason to be afraid of All Might and no one even knows All for One is a thing. I also feel like All for One would definitely want that quirk and would have taken it.

Thanks for listening.

Mirio's quirk is intangibility. His physical strength and stamina are (shounen) natural. It's not much of a stretch for someone who has trained as a melee combatant whose ability causes complete sensory deprivation would be incredibly skilled at predicting and dodging attacks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arist posted:

I like Vegeta because he's charming in his own weird arrogant way and also it's kind of fun watching him get stomped. That list of Bakugo's "redeeming qualities" someone posted earlier is really just a list of things that make his poo poo-rear end personality even worse and I still don't really enjoy seeing him in the story even if he's mellowed considerably.

Namek era vegeta was gleefully murdering innocents without any real style or personality and kind of was a joyless asshat until like....the end of the cell saga where they decided to give him a personality and character connections outside of "Is a Massive rear end in a top hat All The TIme Never Stops." If you liked him more than you do Bakugo you've not watch/read dragon ball since you were a kid.

Bakugo is the same kind of absolutely prideful asshat but the story and the rest of the cast know how to manipulate and work around that that it's both a character development for everyone and also a source of great comedy (His confusion at being left out of planning, Sero baiting him into helping, Deku knowing Kirishima would have to be the one to call out to him).

Dude's way more interesting than pre-buu vegeta.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Captain Cappy posted:

- Overhaul's quirk is op as gently caress and I dislike the idea of it existing. I feel like he could have instagibbed any hero who wasn't specifically Mirio so why wasn't he doing more crimes or something.

This in particular is ignoring Overhaul's criminal ideology and explicitly stated goal for his plans. Overhaul is a yakuza, took over the group he belonged to, and has seen the fall of the yakuza "way of life" due to quirks. Aside from generally hating quirks (and probably being a bit insane wrt them, seeing them as a disease) he blames the rise of quirk powered crime and heroes as the reason for this fall and thus (since usual yakuza methods couldn't survive in the new world), with the help of eri's quirk, seeks to eliminate them as a factor as much as possible.

His introduction is literally about how he hates not just the Heroes but the Quirk Criminals for being lowly, crass, mindless vermin wantonly chasing greed. So he's not going to go out "doing more crimes" with his OP quirk anyway.

He's laser focused on destroying quirks, and not just hero quirks that are particularly annoying to him.

chiasaur11 posted:

He's got a great quirk, but as soon as it's in the open, his counters are in the open, and then Snipe detonates his skull.

Fuckin Snipe, I love that Japan's lack of private gun ownership kinda blinds them to just how op this hero would be since he's like a hard counter to almost every single character since, aside from the hardening quirks or shield generating quirks, you're gonna die if you get shot. Also he'd have next to no competition given that same lack of gun ownership gives him a huge edge. Also makes me wonder just how this dude found out about his quirk since gun ownership is pretty hard to come by in Japan. Maybe he just wrecked face in Airsoft one day.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Crain posted:

Fuckin Snipe, I love that Japan's lack of private gun ownership kinda blinds them to just how op this hero would be since he's like a hard counter to almost every single character since, aside from the hardening quirks or shield generating quirks, you're gonna die if you get shot. Also he'd have next to no competition given that same lack of gun ownership gives him a huge edge. Also makes me wonder just how this dude found out about his quirk since gun ownership is pretty hard to come by in Japan. Maybe he just wrecked face in Airsoft one day.

I think the limit on Snipe's autosuccess possibility is that heroes generally don't kill villains. Even All Might just put All for One in jail instead of giving him a rightful gibbing.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Poltergrift posted:

I think the limit on Snipe's autosuccess possibility is that heroes generally don't kill villains. Even All Might just put All for One in jail instead of giving him a rightful gibbing.

Well AFO said something like he went for the killing blow and it wasn't quite enough. Thats why his head is scar city.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Namek era vegeta was gleefully murdering innocents without any real style or personality and kind of was a joyless asshat until like....the end of the cell saga where they decided to give him a personality and character connections outside of "Is a Massive rear end in a top hat All The TIme Never Stops." If you liked him more than you do Bakugo you've not watch/read dragon ball since you were a kid.

Bakugo is the same kind of absolutely prideful asshat but the story and the rest of the cast know how to manipulate and work around that that it's both a character development for everyone and also a source of great comedy (His confusion at being left out of planning, Sero baiting him into helping, Deku knowing Kirishima would have to be the one to call out to him).

Dude's way more interesting than pre-buu vegeta.

The last time I watched Dragon Ball Z is the same as the first time I watched it, and it was like three weeks ago, dude.

And how "interesting" Bakugo is isn't the point. I think Bakugo is a compelling character on paper but in practice I still largely can't stand having him be on screen for a variety of reasons, chief among them how far the series has gone to reward his behavior (even if everyone hates him) and Deku's consistent "oh gee whiz you're so fuckin' cool, my tormentor." Only very recently has the balance shifted for me there where Bakugo ends up actually suffering due to his shitheadedness, but it's kind of too late? The character has been too lovely for too long for me and I just can't get behind any attempt to rehabilitate him that doesn't fundamentally change his entire attitude. Sorry.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, Bakugo hasn't even apologized for being a mini-terrorist to Deku at all so uh, lack of empathy for the fucker is fine since it's not like he's really making an effort to change

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Kild posted:

Well AFO said something like he went for the killing blow and it wasn't quite enough. Thats why his head is scar city.

Right, but that's not the normal state of affairs. Most of the time, afaict, heroes take villains in and send them to jail (or Hell Jail in the case of AfO).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
We haven't really explored what happens when a hero kills a villain, have we(either intentionally or accidentally)?

I mean, I guess Endeavor killed that nomu, if that counts.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rhonne posted:

We haven't really explored what happens when a hero kills a villain, have we(either intentionally or accidentally)?

I mean, I guess Endeavor killed that nomu, if that counts.

No, I don't think it's come up. We've seen villains kill heroes but aside from Endeavor burning that Nomu's head off we haven't seen a hero kill a human villain.

I'd believe it's something that happens somewhat regularly, though. You can't really have combat trained vigilantes with super powers fighting against criminals who also have super powers without the occasional accident happening. In my head they probably deal with it like death by cop in real life, where there's a process involving incident review to determine if the death was justified or not. Since heroes need to be licensed to operate legally it would be pretty easy for the authorities to pull the license of someone guilty of wrongful death.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, Bakugo hasn't even apologized for being a mini-terrorist to Deku at all so uh, lack of empathy for the fucker is fine since it's not like he's really making an effort to change

Also frankly most of Bakugo's "good qualities" are more like skills he has than actual moral virtues.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
None of these arguments put Bakugo in any different light than Vegeta. He's angry, and powerful, and only wants to be more powerful and beat people at their full power so that everyone knows how powerful he really is. The only reason Bakugo seems like a bigger shithead is because Deku isn't naive like Goku, and Bakugo is actually human instead of an alien. But, also, he's a child, and has a whole lot of room to grow. And we've seen that he has no interest in using his quirk for evil, so as he learns to be an actual hero instead just a person with a strong quirk, we'll probably see him improve a lot as a person.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm kind of losing my patience in that regard, which isn't helped by the story reinforcing that the worst parts of Bakugo are the things that allow him to succeed.

It's also weird that people are trying to convince people Bakugo is good by comparing him to Vegeta, which honestly is sooner going to make me dislike Vegeta than like Bakugo. Vegeta's tolerable at least because he's capable of his own chill brand of smug instead of being insufferably angry constantly, and at least Goku takes Vegeta's bullshit in stride because he's too preoccupied to care.

But I don't even like DBZ that much so this is a weird conversation for me to be having.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Arist posted:

It's also weird that people are trying to convince people Bakugo is good by comparing him to Vegeta, which honestly is sooner going to make me dislike Vegeta than like Bakugo.

I'm fine with this. Too many handwave away how lovely of a character Vegeta was until Super, any way.

I'm not asking or expecting people to like Bakugou. You can totally enjoy reading the series just to see him stumble and screw up. That's not a wrong way to follow the character, imo. But it's always weird when people vehemently deny that the story isn't at least trying to paint him as more than just a giant asshat. It could be doing so badly, as appears to be the case with some posters here, but I've had conversations with coworkers where they refuse to see anything with the character as they've already written them off as a Sasuke.

God drat Sasuke, you've ruined anime.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vegeta loves his wife and daughter, acknowledges that he's an rear end in a top hat, and actually respects his rivals.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Also frankly most of Bakugo's "good qualities" are more like skills he has than actual moral virtues.

You can have the best moral virtues in the world and it won't be worth poo poo without skills or strength to back them up.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The worst parts of Bakugo made him look like a chump that couldn't even get a provisional license, which mostly forced him into the background for the last couple of arcs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The worst parts of Bakugo made him look like a chump that couldn't even get a provisional license, which mostly forced him into the background for the last couple of arcs.

I was talking about specifically before that, that point is like the exact moment I actually started to appreciate where his arc might be going, but even then it's too little too late imo.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

Redtext speaks for itself.

Please do not post like this, in the future, thank you.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Bakugou is alright, but I enjoy the fact that there's a diverse cast and plenty to enjoy. I like IcyHot a lot, which is weird cause I normally hate that archtype of character.

Frog Girl remains the best though, followed by Gravity GIrl and the mechanic with Sniper Eyes.

I also wish the Sugar Muscle Boy and the kid who talks to bugs would get some screen time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Arist posted:

I was talking about specifically before that, that point is like the exact moment I actually started to appreciate where his arc might be going, but even then it's too little too late imo.

before that the class always treated him like a joke so idk what you mean. hell he had to saved by deku in like the first chapter. they've never reinforced his negative aspects as good or right; this has been how mha has treated bakugou from the word go

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

sato and koji have difficult powers to write. sato is just powering up but he gets stupider the stronger he gets which makes it hard to include the kind of tactics that make deku's fights interesting, and koji has a power that in a direct confrontation is either overwhelming (enemy gets swarmed by animals) or useless if there's not enough animals around. plus most of the fights take place in urban environments where there's not that many types of animals to work with. koji might work as a support character sometimes but sato is very much an unremarkable background guy.

Stexils fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 2, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I just need to throw out the hot take here that Sasuke himself was completely fine as a character and it was the story bending itself over rear end-backwards to accommodate him that was the problem.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Manatee Cannon posted:

before that the class always treated him like a joke so idk what you mean. hell he had to saved by deku in like the first chapter. they've never reinforced his negative aspects as good or right; this has been how mha has treated bakugou from the word go

I feel like I've already laid this out in my previous posts. Even if the characters don't like him, that doesn't actually mean much because the series itself through external rewards (winning the sports festival) and characters we are supposed to trust the instincts of talking him up (Deku all the time in the early bits, Aizawa kinda in his fight with Uraraka) continually reinforce his "greatness."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Stexils posted:

sato and koji have difficult powers to write. sato is just powering up but he gets stupider the stronger he gets which makes it hard to include the kind of tactics that make deku's fights interesting, and shouji has a power that in a direct confrontation is either overwhelming (enemy gets swarmed by animals) or useless if there's not enough animals around. plus most of the fights take place in urban environments where there's not that many types of animals to work with. koji might work as a support character sometimes but sato is very much an unremarkable background guy.

Plus, like Deku to Muscular, Sato is just ultimately a worse version of Deku, especially as Deku gets more and more control over One for All.