Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

JawnV6 posted:

you're controlling a motor and can yield to the scheduler? does anything bad happen if someone else takes a long time and you miss pulling the pin back low until, say, 5ms? 20ms?

No, other than the motor not moving

JawnV6 posted:

you're on some kind of m4f, right? ~100mhz? you can approximate how many instructions before you'd have to preempt a task if you just want to get close

Cortex m0/samd21g18a/arduino mkrzero so 48mhz I think. Maybe with a 1ms delay I might as well just block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

gonadic io posted:

No, other than the motor not moving
ahh, alright. i'm more familiar with h-bridges and other control schemes where leaving current dumping into the thing would be Bad

if it's just stepping on an edge trigger that's nifty

gonadic io posted:

Cortex m0/samd21g18a/arduino mkrzero so 48mhz I think. Maybe with a 1ms delay I might as well just block
48,000 instructions you can get a lot done :v:

i dunno, imagine your task switching takes 4k (unlikely) you've still got 40k instructions to mess around with

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

JawnV6 posted:

ahh, alright. i'm more familiar with h-bridges and other control schemes where leaving current dumping into the thing would be Bad

if it's just stepping on an edge trigger that's nifty

48,000 instructions you can get a lot done :v:

i dunno, imagine your task switching takes 4k (unlikely) you've still got 40k instructions to mess around with

Yeah it's one of these: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12779 which is rising edge triggered.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
zooming out to the 'product' level if you've got the stepper assembly together, you could artificially introduce jitter and see if it's perceptible

like set up a list of 1,5,1,1,1,1,15,1,20, etc. and delay by that much. i think you'd perceive some judder pretty easily, but maybe the steps are so small and 20ms is 'fast enough'

an alternative to blocking calls would be writing a timer ISR to handle it, something like
code:
void timer_isr(void)
{
  if (moving) {
    if (state) {
      self.step.pin_high();
      state = false;
    } else {
      self.step.pin_low();
      state = true;
    }
  }
}
when you wanted to move, set 'moving' true and enable the ISR, or you could decrement a counter and have it turn itself off [fixed]if (count > target) { moving = false; disable_isr(); }[fixed]

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Finster Dexter posted:

That has almost nothing to do with why this is horrible.

at least you could generate the code to form the XML then instead of hand writing it

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Found out today that my Dev team is being relocated (and thus my job will no longer exist) in December.

Welp, hope they like paying me to browse these here forums.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Surprise T Rex posted:

Found out today that my Dev team is being relocated (and thus my job will no longer exist) in December.

Welp, hope they like paying me to browse these here forums.

learn a functional lang

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

learn a functional lang

learn rust AND a functional lang!~

https://github.com/daviswahl/rats

(this would be an exceptionally bad choice for learning FP)

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 1, 2018

floatman
Mar 17, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

at least you could generate the code to form the XML then instead of hand writing it

Here's the thing: I did write a tool to generate database XML fixtures instead of writing it by hand.
So the idea was to go to staging, say we want table A, rows X, then the tool would dump that, and then you would repeat for dependency table B, dependency table C, D etc.
All my tests to generate XML files for tests ended up being almost full dumps of the entire database structure. It was at this point I learnt that the database was a piece of highly dependent hell. The reason why developers started hand writing XML files was so that they could cheat and leave out references to reduce the XML file requirements, even though this basically resulted in a test where the database would be set up into an invalid state. Bad design is one of the things that you can't go back and fix with tools.
At this point I resigned myself to bloodshed.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
terrible programming: at this point I resigned myself to bloodshed.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

learn rust AND a functional lang!~

https://github.com/daviswahl/rats

(this would be an exceptionally bad choice for learning FP)

probably an exceptionally bad choice for anything

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

akadajet posted:

probably an exceptionally bad choice for anything

well, it's true.

i had a phone screen tonight for an MIT-based startup being run by basically children. they had no idea what they were doing but their product is completely insane and i love it.

it's "task based" and way underpays but it requires literally no investment on my part so imna go for it because i have no responsibilities or concerns and it sounds fun and i might get paid and i'll get to put rust on my resume.

if i feel exploited i'll just stop.

narrator: he was, he didn't.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 2, 2018

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i'd like to see this thread rebooted with some mention of the rules. i'm also not really sure what the rules are anymore. personally, I want to see:

this thread is the programming thread

the other thread is also the programming thread

this one tends to have more beginner questions and shitposting and day to day

the other one tends to have a bit more effort posts but also a bit more telling people to go gently caress themselves

i guess this is the thread people post in because they don't think they're smart enough to post in the other thread

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Are we referring to the PL thread as the other programming thread in this convo?

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Need help figuring out references in the terrible programmer thread.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

floatman posted:

Need help figuring out references in the terrible programmer thread.

maybe we could offer some pointers

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

akadajet posted:

:v:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

akadajet posted:

lmao

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

today i got to resolve a git merge conflict in an enormous incomprehensible xml file which encodes an excel spreadsheet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jit bull transpile posted:

Are we referring to the PL thread as the other programming thread in this convo?

they are

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well, it's true.

i had a phone screen tonight for an MIT-based startup being run by basically children. they had no idea what they were doing but their product is completely insane and i love it.

it's "task based" and way underpays but it requires literally no investment on my part so imna go for it because i have no responsibilities or concerns and it sounds fun and i might get paid and i'll get to put rust on my resume.

if i feel exploited i'll just stop.

narrator: he was, he didn't.

what is it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Uber but for robot hookers

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

jit bull transpile posted:

Uber but for robot hookers

to clarify, is this taxis driven by robot hookers, or...?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

IT'S IT
IT'S IT

You want it all, but you can't have it.
It's in your face, but you can't grab it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fiedler posted:

to clarify, is this taxis driven by robot hookers, or...?

Hookers driven by robot jitneys

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
Threads are for posting in :justpost:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Peeny Cheez posted:

IT'S IT

IT'S IT

You want it all, but you can't have it.
It's in your face, but you can't grab it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can get it's its delivered anywhere in the lower 48
$22 for a 24-case. $60 shipping

https://www.itsiticecream.com/products/ice-cream

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

they look like Americanized macarons

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

no I was referring to the song about Mike Patton trying to blow himself unsuccessfully thank you drive thru

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

akadajet posted:

oof

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Peeny Cheez posted:

no I was referring to the song about Mike Patton trying to blow himself unsuccessfully thank you drive thru

who?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cjs: we still are unable to programmatically send file over sftp from php, i wish i was kidding

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

holy poo poo that is terrible

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

holy poo poo that is terrible

we are third week into situation where the responsible team of developers has it working on their Ubuntu test environment but not their Centos production environment, so they adamantly claim the ftp server is broken. they even had the audacity to send the vendor “fix your poo poo” email over this

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

cinci zoo sniper posted:

cjs: we still are unable to programmatically send file over sftp from php, i wish i was kidding

just execute sftp directly from your script and get owned later. it’s the php way.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they even had the audacity to send the vendor “fix your poo poo” email over this

smart play. deflect blame to other party, use respite from attention to keep working on issue

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

redleader posted:

smart play. deflect blame to other party, use respite from attention to keep working on issue

it worked the other way around and now everyone’s attention is squarely on them, since they themselves admitted the bullshit trivial to verify

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

redleader posted:

i've posted this before but we once had a vendor say "it's not our problem take it up with Microsoft" when I pointed out that their "message corruption" issue was caused by taking utf8 xml, downcasting to some basic iso cahracterset then casting back to utf8 again in sequential stages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i've posted this before but we once had a vendor say "it's not our problem take it up with Microsoft" when I pointed out that their "message corruption" issue was caused by taking utf8 xml, downcasting to some basic iso cahracterset then casting back to utf8 again in sequential stages

Take it up with Ken Thompson