Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Anyone know what the status of The Autumnlands is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

Anyone know what the status of The Autumnlands is?

I think Kurt Busiek's health problems might have led to hiatus. Kind of a guess, though. I was really enjoying it. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm going to have to carefully reread wic+div but uhhhh yeah there's a lot going on.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I need to re-read Wicdiv too, I think I've misunderstood what's happening in the last few issues.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I'm a little lost but I think so far?

Annenke and her sister are immortal. Something something transfer between old Anneke and Minerva? If Anneke fails the ritual she's basically conscious the whole time she's not around? (Wait was that Anneke or Persephone)

MEANWHILE Persephone is Anneke's sister? I'm not sure how much she knows because in earlier issues she seems pretty genuine.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I just finished the Descender hardback. I liked it pretty well, but did anyone else feel that the art was super uneven? I read an interview with Nguyen, and I understand he had to do storyboard, pencil, and coloring all by himself while getting an issue out every month. Still, some of the art he did for the covers is exceptionally good, then some of the panels and pages look pretty loving great...and then some look like little more than the initial storyboard sketch with some water color slopped on there. Not really sure what my point is, but I guess I was just curious if this bothered anyone else, or if it was just me

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

angel opportunity posted:

I just finished the Descender hardback. I liked it pretty well, but did anyone else feel that the art was super uneven? I read an interview with Nguyen, and I understand he had to do storyboard, pencil, and coloring all by himself while getting an issue out every month. Still, some of the art he did for the covers is exceptionally good, then some of the panels and pages look pretty loving great...and then some look like little more than the initial storyboard sketch with some water color slopped on there. Not really sure what my point is, but I guess I was just curious if this bothered anyone else, or if it was just me

Nah you're not alone, it ticked me off as well. You can definitely tell it's by lack of time and resources rather than a deliberate choice which is a drat shame. I hope they can give Ascender a bit more polish given the (deserved) success of Descender.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m still waiting for the last volume on Comixology :negative:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I just got into comics like one month ago and I've read a fair chunk of stuff since starting. I have no interest in any superhero stuff. Here are my impressions of what I read so far:

Saga (read through TP volume 4): I like this quite a lot. I feel like the characters are super likable, often trying too hard to be likable probably. I felt the pacing at first was a bit off somehow, but once I got further in I liked how the time jumps were working. In other mediums like films/TV/novels, I would hate this kind of world building where it doesn't really make sense. The idea that these two planets can create a proxy war across the entire universe makes no logical sense, but for some reason in comic format it doesn't bother me and I can just view it as symbolic. All the characters in this are good and well designed visually. I find the art is very solid and good at portraying what is happening, but it never really rises above or blows me away. Some of the full-page or multi-page spreads are underwhelming and show me that the artist isn't so great at certain things (like ship design, large scenery drawings, or anything trying to imply scale). I am really into the story and characters though and will finish all the TPs that are out so far.

The Metabarons: This is what got me into comics and my favorite thing I've read so far. The art is insanely strong and amazing, but aside from the art, all the individual components should not really work at all. Somehow, all combined together, it works perfectly. It has this kind of Greek epic style, but it's like a Verhoeven version of a Greek epic where it's trying to parody the genre while still being an excellent example of the genre even if you removed the parody entirely. It's really hard to explain why this was so good, but it just was. I'm reading the Incal next.

Chew (read TP volume 1 only): I found this very good once it got going. I was put off at first by the art style, but once the story took off I felt it worked perfectly. The art style straddles the line between serious and funny, which is exactly what the story/writing/plot/characters do as well. I really want to read more of this, but there are so many volumes (12 in total I think) that I'm holding off on it so I can finish up shorter stuff first.

Deadly Class (read TP volume 1 only): I didn't think I would like this as much as I did. I found the art style really underwhelming when I flipped through it, but once I actually read it REALLY impressed me. I think this art style did motion better than most everything else I've read. The first chase sequence was so well done, and it completely won me over. I did find there was a part earlier on where the writing got a bit heavy-handed. The protag is expositing exactly how he feels to this dude he just met. It made sense, sort of, in context of what had happened, but it took me out of the story a bit. That was the only negative though, and I've already ordered like five more TPs of this.

Lazarus (read TP volume 1 only): I thought I would like this a lot, but didn't. People really raved about the world building in this, and it was actually the most realistic world building I'd seen of the comics I read, but that wasn't enough to carry it. The art really put me off. It is well done, but it just looks too much like photographs with a weird Photoshop filter on them. There was a page in particular where Forever is talking to this guy she likes, and there are these panels with no dialogue and just facial expressions, and it looked so flat and wooden because of the art style. The intrigue was okay, but maybe I'm kind of tired of stories about families that are constantly stabbing each other in the back.

Descender (read first hardcover): I liked this a lot, but as I mentioned the art is really rough in places. I think the flashbacks that are thrown in way at the end should have happened sooner and spaced out more. Driller in particular had a really strong flashback, and it would have made me enjoy his character more throughout the story. Same deal with Telsa, who I didn't much like until that flashback. The pacing of them just felt off, and they were all just kind of thrown in randomly more or less at this halfway point, which also stalled out the plot. How good this series is will depend on how strong the mystery is, since it's largely driven by a big mystery.

Papergirls (read TP volume 1 only): Pretty good, but I'd have to read another TP to really decide. I liked all of the characters quite a lot, and I dug the art style. The plot/setting is like...from volume 1 alone I just don't have enough information to decide or to know where it's going. A lot of crazy stuff happens, and depending on what they do with that I may or may not really like this. If they just go totally "Lost" and make poo poo up as they go, it will be weak. If they have an actual idea in mind of where it's going and work toward that, I think it could be super cool. I probably will start ordering more of these once I finish Deadly Class and Saga.

I'm also interest in checking out Low, East of West, Black Science, and Seven to Eternity.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I liked Metabarons more than Incal, but I attribute that mostly to understanding what happens in Metabarons and honestly having really memorable characters/vignettes (Steelhead's entire story is amazingly fun). I have no idea what the hell Incal is about or what happens in that book. Art is obviously gorgeous, though, but goddamn that plot was...well, I guess just typical Jodorowsky.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah, I get the feeling I'm going to like Metabarons more also, but since I liked Metabarons so much I couldn't not get the Incal. I've been surprised how much strong art (and storytelling through art) gets me over weakish writing or awkward storytelling.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I preferred the Technopriests to the Incal with Merabarons as the best but they're all good for the reasons set out above.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I just got into comics like one month ago and I've read a fair chunk of stuff since starting. I have no interest in any superhero stuff. Here are my impressions of what I read so far:

Chew (read TP volume 1 only): I found this very good once it got going. I was put off at first by the art style, but once the story took off I felt it worked perfectly. The art style straddles the line between serious and funny, which is exactly what the story/writing/plot/characters do as well. I really want to read more of this, but there are so many volumes (12 in total I think) that I'm holding off on it so I can finish up shorter stuff first.

Deadly Class (read TP volume 1 only): I didn't think I would like this as much as I did. I found the art style really underwhelming when I flipped through it, but once I actually read it REALLY impressed me. I think this art style did motion better than most everything else I've read. The first chase sequence was so well done, and it completely won me over. I did find there was a part earlier on where the writing got a bit heavy-handed. The protag is expositing exactly how he feels to this dude he just met. It made sense, sort of, in context of what had happened, but it took me out of the story a bit. That was the only negative though, and I've already ordered like five more TPs of this.

Papergirls (read TP volume 1 only): Pretty good, but I'd have to read another TP to really decide. I liked all of the characters quite a lot, and I dug the art style. The plot/setting is like...from volume 1 alone I just don't have enough information to decide or to know where it's going. A lot of crazy stuff happens, and depending on what they do with that I may or may not really like this. If they just go totally "Lost" and make poo poo up as they go, it will be weak. If they have an actual idea in mind of where it's going and work toward that, I think it could be super cool. I probably will start ordering more of these once I finish Deadly Class and Saga.

I'm also interest in checking out Low, East of West, Black Science, and Seven to Eternity.
Chew ended up becoming one of my all-time favorite series, and one of the character descriptions even inspired me to start a food blog. It's great. Not many other properties can blend action, mystery, horror, sci-fi, comedy, and drama like it does. It might seem long, but everything remains pretty fast and light reading.

I didn't love Deadly Class, but it certainly entertained me at the time. Catch up while you can, because a TV adaptation is debuting on SyFy at some point soon.

And I always recommend Paper Girls to anyone who enjoyed Stranger Things on Netflix, which is most people I know. I've read the first three volumes, but with far too many months in between, so a lot of impact is lost for me because I've forgotten key details.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I was interested in the Technopriests from the story, but when I looked at the art I wasn't sure. Too much of it looks almost like CGI, and some of the poses the protag is drawn in look really stiff and weird for some reason. Did you find this was an issue or does it look better when you have it in your hands?

I also forgot to mention that I read like...70% of Monstress volume 1 in the store without buying it. I got bored of it and didn't even want to finish it. It was probably the comic I've enjoyed least since I started. The main character was totally flat and didn't go anywhere aside from her "monster inside" thing. The art looked nice on the surface, but in practice I didn't feel it was doing much of anything as I read. There were also certain panels where the drawings just looked lazy or poorly done. The exposition dumps between issues were really bad and I didn't want to read them, but forced myself to since it was important information. The world building seems strong on the surface, but when you really look into it, it's very sparse and haphazard. Just really didn't like this!

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 22, 2018

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

We seem to like a lot of similar things, and in addition to the ones you mention you might want to check out Hellboy, Black Hammer, and Astro City. They involve superheroes, but not in conventional ways.

Incidentally, there's quite a twist in today's Black Hammer. It's sort of a cliche, but I expect it will be handled in a non-cliched way as I trust Lemire a fair bit.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 22, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I don't know how anyone can stand to read The Metabarons. "Oh, do not stop telling the story now, I just totally did a robot sex wee!" :fuckoff:

Chew's not bad. I probably wouldn't have got into it if I hadn't been hanging around with Layman on Mark Millar's forums a lot at the time. He is good bloke though, buy his books.

Paper Girls I will second the sentiment of "if you liked Stranger Things", but I think it's falling into the same trap as Saga of Vaughan spending too long scratching his balls in lieu of advancing the plot.

I think I need to reread Echo and decide if I want to keep the omnibus. I'm clearing bookshelves and have to be merciless. On which note, if anyone is in the UK and willing to make an offer for Sandman 29-75 including Special #1 signed by Mark Buckingham, message me and I will make a market thread.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Without mega spoilers, can anyone confirm if things eventually start working out for the good guys in Uber: Invasion lol? I just finished the first volume and I loved it but dang I was hoping (probably, foolishly) for at least a small win for the Allies.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

fadam posted:

Without mega spoilers, can anyone confirm if things eventually start working out for the good guys in Uber: Invasion lol? I just finished the first volume and I loved it but dang I was hoping (probably, foolishly) for at least a small win for the Allies.

I would say the Allies definitely do get some wins, especially lately, but keep in mind that this is a story where probably everyone will be hurt even if the villains end up losing harder in the long run.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

fadam posted:

How do you feel about phyrric victories. Because there’s definitely wins but the nature of the conflict doesn’t really have the place for winners. I have it in singles what does vol 1 cover, 1-5? Because if that’s as far as you’ve gone then I definitely recommend going further.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 22, 2018

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I also forgot to mention that I read like...70% of Monstress volume 1 in the store without buying it. I got bored of it and didn't even want to finish it. It was probably the comic I've enjoyed least since I started. The main character was totally flat and didn't go anywhere aside from her "monster inside" thing. The art looked nice on the surface, but in practice I didn't feel it was doing much of anything as I read. There were also certain panels where the drawings just looked lazy or poorly done. The exposition dumps between issues were really bad and I didn't want to read them, but forced myself to since it was important information. The world building seems strong on the surface, but when you really look into it, it's very sparse and haphazard. Just really didn't like this!

Are you sure about the exposition dumps? Because I've loved all three volumes out so far and generally skip the dumps, and I haven't felt lost at all. YMMV but I'm all about some Monstress.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

One of the exposition dumps had the map, which wasn't vital but I felt it was something I wanted to see to get an idea of the world. Then the map was just a big blank square with a wall down the middle. That's kind of a good representation of how I felt about the overall world building in Monstress. It really just wasn't for me, even if you removed those exposition dumps I wouldn't have liked it.

It's like in The Metabarons, Jeddit mentioned the robots making the same lovely joke over and over made it "unreadable." I agree those parts sucked pretty bad, but I skimmed them and really loved it anyway.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How do you feel about phyrric victories. Because there’s definitely wins but the nature of the conflict doesn’t really have the place for winners. I have it in singles what does vol 1 cover, 1-5? Because if that’s as far as you’ve gone then I definitely recommend going further.

Everything pre-Invasion is what I've read.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Oh hey, what the gently caress, Beasts of Burden is back?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Copra's on sale: https://www.comixology.com/Copra/comics-series/63828

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
bprd probably has about five issues left, maybe an epilogue

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

What's the deal with Nowhere Men? I found a used copy at the store for $5 and flipped through it, it looked alright so I bought and read it.

I thought it was overall pretty good and was interested to read further, but it feels like it's almost out of print in TP or something? None on Amazon or instocktrades, though some are like $12 on random websites. I know the original artist had to quit, and reviews I read of it after the hiatus made it sound like it wasn't that good when it came back. Is it worth trying to read further or should I just give up?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1039184883959189504

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1039186283120222208

Kieron Gillen doing a deconstruction on Keepers of the Flame (or I guess insert any other "children get whisked away to fantasy realm" story, e.g., Narnia)?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Snippet for the very bottom of the THR interview,
Gillen: My jokey two word pitch is "Goth Jumanji" which cuts to the chase. More accurate would be "Jumanji as Horror" including that overly precious phrasing, but "Goth Jumanji" is much funnier.

Not seeing how this will be any different than the spat of woke-up-in-an-MMO series from the past 15 years.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well, i get that critical role or whatever it's called has made d&d a super popular nerd thing again, but i dont really care about it at all.

Im sure for those who are into it, if anyone can make a good book about it its gillen though

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm almost two decades past caring about Pokemon, but I enjoyed his take on it for Cinema Purgatorio.

edit: This certainly looks more serious than that was. I'm sure the focus will be on a dramatic story rather than just nerdy references to playing the game.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 11, 2018

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Speaking of that unread volume 1 of Birthright and really wanted to like it but felt the writing and pacing was just not very good.l :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's Gillen so there's a 100% chance I'll give it a shot and like a 95% chance I'll like it.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The synopsis for Die makes it sound like something I wouldn't normally be interested in but I trust the creative team so I'll definitely check it out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

New publisher AHOY Comics, founded by Tom Peyer, putting out 'magazine style' oversized comics with back-up prose from the likes of Grant Morrison and Mark Russel.
https://www.newsarama.com/40374-2-founding-vertigo-editors-help-launch-new-company-ahoy-comics.html
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ahoy-promises-more-comics-including-prose-cartoons-poetry-1120024

Their first comic/magazine, The Wrong Earth, came out this week. Anyone try it?
Seems to be reviewing well: https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/ahoy-comics/the-wrong-earth/1

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Teenage Fansub posted:

Their first comic/magazine, The Wrong Earth, came out this week. Anyone try it?

It feels like something Mark Waid should've been involved in. It's what happens when the Silver Age and Dark Age versions of Not Batman Really have to deal with each other's universes.

It's not terrible for what it is, but I think I've been reading these things too long for it to have its full intended impact. I'll probably check out #2, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cheers. What's all the backup stuff like?
I'm interested in Morrison writing prose stories for these things.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Finally got a chance to sit down and read the last Stray Bullets and I didn't see either of the two swerves coming, Amy Racecar is a creation of Beth's, not Virginia's, and Love Yourself survived his run-in with Monster and shows up out of nowhere to save Beth who's in the hospital for some unknown reason.

I'm pretty happy about the second spoiler. When Lapham introduced the character, I was bummed that he seemingly got rid of him in the same issue he debuted in, but it's looking like that's not the case. I thought for sure he'd be another Led, who showed up after one appearance back in like issue 5, only to go out like a chump. Lapham has a habit of making extremely likable side characters, only to have them get done in just when you're starting to get comfortable with them.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 14, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Wanderer posted:

It feels like something Mark Waid should've been involved in. It's what happens when the Silver Age and Dark Age versions of Not Batman Really have to deal with each other's universes.

It's not terrible for what it is, but I think I've been reading these things too long for it to have its full intended impact. I'll probably check out #2, though.

That's good to hear. Out of all of them, I was the most interested in that one.

Edit: I just bought it and read. It was fun. It was mostly setting the scene. But, I liked it well enough. Will likely buy the next issue.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 15, 2018

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I mentioned wanting to try The Incal several posts up. I read it a few weeks ago and mostly hated it. The art is good, but I feel Moebius is actually kind of overrated (I feel people are going to get mad at me for this.) His skill is there and great, but I don't really care for his sense of aesthetics if that makes sense. The plot, writing, dialogue, pacing–everything other than the art was absolutely awful. The Metabarons feels more like a fluke now than anything. I'm very put off from trying anything from Jodorowski again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have you checked out any of his movies?