Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

The worst part about this game is it’s impossible to work on the puzzles when I’m away from the game, so I just spend all day desperately trying to avoid clicking any of the spoilers in the thread.

I watched a certain Let's Play of the original La Mulana before I played it myself but I still felt it was very difficult regardless of my foreknowledge. I've been disciplined with not looking at spoilers so far and it is extremely satisfying to solve puzzles and beat the guardians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

DalaranJ posted:

The worst part about this game is it’s impossible to work on the puzzles when I’m away from the game, so I just spend all day desperately trying to avoid clicking any of the spoilers in the thread.

Is it really impossible? I've spent the entire day thinking about all the solutions I'm going to try out as soon as I get home. I probably should start writing them down, tbh.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Svampson posted:

Question regarding mirror: Mulbruk told me that Fobos has the mirror, talked to Fobos and he said he gave it to Samaranta and to go talk to him, but when I go up to him in the Mausoleum of Giants he won't talk to me, won't trigger a dialogue or anything. Is it bugged? If it is bugged, will it stop me from getting the mirror or does he simply give a hint regarding it's location?

I don't think this is a bug, since he appears in a few spots in the original ruins depending on your progress, and in at least one of them I can't interact with him at all. For example, have you tried talking to him in the La Mulana ruins, up near the blocked off path with a sign saying something like it's too dangerous? I can do so there, but not in his original space (where he still is!) because I've finished off the bit in that section already.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Alright, I need some direction on where to head next. This is my inventory and I've killed 4 guardians, Roots, Valhalla, Annfwn, Immortal Battlefield.

I've putzed around in just about everywhere I can reach and it seems like I SHOULD be able to get into the underworld or get the cog, but I've been wandering around for awhile and still don't have a real good idea what I should be even trying to accomplish.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

After hours of combing over my file of tablet hints, I solve a puzzle by accident by jumping into a random wall on a whim. Finally, progression! Oh wait no it's another crystal skull gently caress me

Procrastine posted:

I've beaten 6 guardians, my biggest question now is where is the map of all mantras Thoth mentions? That would help.
But also:
What do I need to do to hurt (3rd Child Area) Glasya-Labolas?
I gave Ymir and Atum a nice egg in this trying time, coloured lights flew off, does that do anything yet or do I need to reach the Chaos statue as well before anything happens?
What's up with (Valhalla) the room below Jalandhara? All there was was a locked chest and a pedestal that seems to break an irrelevant wall.

Also blue skeletons are the worst and I hate them so much

if anyone has hints feel free, I'm so sick of rereading tablets, it feels like every puzzle I have access to requires something from the Underworld but I don't know how to get there

Agent355 posted:

Alright, I need some direction on where to head next. This is my inventory and I've killed 4 guardians, Roots, Valhalla, Annfwn, Immortal Battlefield.

I've putzed around in just about everywhere I can reach and it seems like I SHOULD be able to get into the underworld or get the cog, but I've been wandering around for awhile and still don't have a real good idea what I should be even trying to accomplish.

Have you spoken to ____Ra____? Also (in your inventory) please tell me the perfume lets you kill blue skeletons they are the bane of my existence, if so, can I have a general hint on where to find it

Procrastine fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 2, 2018

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Procrastine posted:

After hours of combing over my file of tablet hints, I solve a puzzle by accident by jumping into a random wall on a whim. Finally, progression! Oh wait no it's another crystal skull gently caress me

if anyone has hints feel free, I'm so sick of rereading tablets, it feels like every puzzle I have access to requires something from the Underworld but I don't know how to get there

For the miniboss you asked about... I had luck jumping up and lobbing earth spears at his tongue. Though keeping the adds under control is a pain in the rear end

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Procrastine posted:

Do you have the information required to un-seal the Underworld?

It's a long way down.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.

Arc Impulse posted:

I don't think this is a bug, since he appears in a few spots in the original ruins depending on your progress, and in at least one of them I can't interact with him at all. For example, have you tried talking to him in the La Mulana ruins, up near the blocked off path with a sign saying something like it's too dangerous? I can do so there, but not in his original space (where he still is!) because I've finished off the bit in that section already.

Thank you! :D Didn't realize he would be standing at multiple spots, I was pretty sure I had checked the rest of the La Mulana ruins but there he was, I'm back on track, now that's a load of my back!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Procrastine posted:

Have you spoken to ____Ra____? Also (in your inventory) please tell me the perfume lets you kill blue skeletons they are the bane of my existence, if so, can I have a general hint on where to find it

Yeah thats what the perfume does, I'm not entirely sure where I got it because the game glitched out and didn't give me the pop up for some reason but I'm about 90% sure it's from heaven's corridor

I spoke to Amun Ra in devil's courtyard and he was all mad about 'just one more' and flew off, I went down to the screen it looked like he went to but couldn't find anything else

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Svampson posted:

Thank you! :D Didn't realize he would be standing at multiple spots, I was pretty sure I had checked the rest of the La Mulana ruins but there he was, I'm back on track, now that's a load of my back!

No bother, glad to know I could help!

Agent355 posted:

Agent355 posted:

Here are some other general hints on how to reach the ____Underworld______:

Have you spoken to Izanagi yet to hear his tale of visiting?

Where have you seen mention of paths to the Underworld before? Did it mention Fallandaforad?

Have you ever come across any sealed off pathways, where the others were open?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Threep posted:

I could use some help on how to find the Annwfn ankh. I've already been everywhere except the top left room.

Also, one of the dwarves said he'd unlock a chest for me but I haven't found an open one since
Quoting myself, I'm starting to suspect I broke something

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Yeah thats what the perfume does, I'm not entirely sure where I got it because the game glitched out and didn't give me the pop up for some reason but I'm about 90% sure it's from heaven's corridor

I spoke to Amun Ra in devil's courtyard and he was all mad about 'just one more' and flew off, I went down to the screen it looked like he went to but couldn't find anything else

He's in a different area now. Gate of the Dead

Broken Cog posted:

Do you have the information required to un-seal the Underworld?

It's a long way down.

I need to chant sun, moon and sea, but I don't know where. I tried the unnamed Cliff connected to Immortal Battlefield but that didn't do anything.

DoubleNegative posted:

For the miniboss you asked about... I had luck jumping up and lobbing earth spears at his tongue. Though keeping the adds under control is a pain in the rear end

Are you thinking of a different miniboss? Mine just rams himself repeatedly into walls and is unaffected by weapons, not even a "no damage" sound effect.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Arc Impulse posted:

Where have you seen mention of paths to the Underworld before? Did it mention Fallandaforad?

oh gently caress i think i get it

e: it worked!!!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Procrastine posted:

Are you thinking of a different miniboss? Mine just rams himself repeatedly into walls and is unaffected by weapons, not even a "no damage" sound effect.

if you're close to that miniboss he only charges, if you get further away he'll open up his mouth and spawn adds and thats when he's vulnerable

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Never figured that the guy that steals all your money would be useful for something.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Threep posted:

Quoting myself, I'm starting to suspect I broke something

This one isn't immediately clear to be fair, so you likely haven't broken anything. It also doesn't directly unlock a chest, but provides you with the means to do so on a screen. As to where that is, he hints to that in his dialogue.

Procrastine posted:

oh gently caress i think i get it

e: it worked!!!

This was the single most relieving jingle I'd heard in-game when I confirmed it, glad to hear you got it! welcome to hell

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Agent355 posted:

if you're close to that miniboss he only charges, if you get further away he'll open up his mouth and spawn adds and thats when he's vulnerable

You mean... not get right in a miniboss' face and flail wildly until they die? :monocle:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay am I being dumb but how I get into this door here.

Can't seem to move left or right once on a ladder so I just fall straight down.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Theres probably some weird obtuse solution but Im personally just waiting until I have double jump

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

A better question is how do you play the video games

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Arc Impulse posted:

I got the first one and I've probably talked to the person who mentioned the second one but I don't remember who/where they were to go talk to them again. Third one I have no clue.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Rirse posted:

Okay am I being dumb but how I get into this door here.

Can't seem to move left or right once on a ladder so I just fall straight down.

Double jump, OR, hang on the ladder and drop off just before getting hit so the knockback sends you onto the ledge (there's no horizontal knockback when holding onto a ladder). Trust me though, the reward is disappointing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Can someone give me a hint about what to do with Beherit?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I got the first one and I've probably talked to the person who mentioned the second one but I don't remember who/where they were to go talk to them again. Third one I have no clue.

The second one is from a tablet in the part of Ancient Chaos accessed from the Corridor of Blood

DeathSandwich posted:

Absorb the purple stuff from the boss room if you haven't already.
The hint for its real purpose can be gotten from Gerd in the Shrine of the Frost Giants

Procrastine fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 2, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

I thought the game blatantly told you what to do with it unless I'm misremembering.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Procrastine posted:

The second one is from a tablet in the part of Ancient Chaos accessed from the Corridor of Blood

Absorb the purple stuff from the boss room if you haven't already.
The hint for its real purpose can be gotten from Gerd in the Shrine of the Frost Giants

Definitely been there then, I'll go revisit and see

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Someone please spoil me where the ankh in annwfn is? or how to get it to appear if I've already been there?

Edit: Thank you.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 2, 2018

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Davoren posted:

Someone please spoil me where the ankh in annwfn is? or how to get it to appear if I've already been there?

I'm not 100% on what the flags are for this but I think it's:

1: Have you talked to Voluspa?

2: Have you talked to Frey?

2.5: He's somewhere in Annwfn.

3: Have you talked to Voluspa after talking to Frey?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Procrastine posted:

I'm not 100% on what the flags are for this but I think it's:

1: Have you talked to Voluspa?

2: Have you talked to Frey?

2.5: He's somewhere in Annwfn.

3: Have you talked to Voluspa after talking to Frey?
Thanks for the straight answer, guess I did break the game because he's been replaced by Freya before I talked to him and Voluspa only has dialogue about Frey and Freya

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Oh no, I was trying to save up for the harp and I just discovered, in the most painful way possible, that the money cap is 999. I guess there's a way to increase the cap or just an alternate way to get it. I'm pretty sure I need to have no money to progress so it's time to hunt down some of those game apps.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Svampson posted:

Question regarding mirror: Mulbruk told me that Fobos has the mirror, talked to Fobos and he said he gave it to Samaranta and to go talk to him, but when I go up to him in the Mausoleum of Giants he won't talk to me, won't trigger a dialogue or anything. Is it bugged? If it is bugged, will it stop me from getting the mirror or does he simply give a hint regarding it's location?

Well, I don't know if the npc dialog bugged out for you but it should be obtainable regardless. It's hidden in the la mulana ruins, behind some foreground scenery near that guy's tent shop. You need doublejump though iirc

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Seeric posted:

Oh no, I was trying to save up for the harp and I just discovered, in the most painful way possible, that the money cap is 999. I guess there's a way to increase the cap or just an alternate way to get it. I'm pretty sure I need to have no money to progress so it's time to hunt down some of those game apps.

There's a hidden shop that sells you an item for that. It's somewhere in shrine of the frost giant

I just want to say how much fun it is playing this game when there isn't a guide to go look up answers. Normally I give it the good ole college try and then go look something up. Right now thats impossible so I give it the good ole college try then come here (or my steam friends list) to collaborate answers on the harder puzzles. This is great.

E: I'm in the underworld :pram::hf::pram:

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 2, 2018

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Control Volume posted:

I thought the game blatantly told you what to do with it unless I'm misremembering.

You're not. It is one of the few things the game is pretty drat clear on.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Help, I somehow managed to activate Typhon by accident, but I died to the miniboss after, and now I can't figure out what I did.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Help, I somehow managed to activate Typhon by accident, but I died to the miniboss after, and now I can't figure out what I did.

One of the tablet's or NPCs nearby says he's activated by strong light so you need to spin the celestial disk and keep exploring as it changes the area

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
How do you get to the Dark Lord's Mausoleum? Only path I can see is the Blood Hall, but it's straight up vertically. I feel like I should have the feather by now.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

How do you get to the Dark Lord's Mausoleum? Only path I can see is the Blood Hall, but it's straight up vertically. I feel like I should have the feather by now.

There is a way to control the blood corridor doors. An NPC in __Annfwn__ tells you how.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 2, 2018

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm still looking for a few things:

- Where can I find the katana
- Or the third sigil
- What do I do in the room that's adjacent of the save point in Icefire where there's a button I can't reach and a big statue in the middle (which zaps me if I hit it)

And generally about Icefire, what is needed to use the other exit to Immortal battlefield, which seems blocked for me from both sides?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Agent355 posted:

One of the tablet's or NPCs nearby says he's activated by strong light so you need to spin the celestial disk and keep exploring as it changes the area

Yeah, I've cleared both of his light sensors, but he's still inactive. It just randomly activated while I was passing through, testing some stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I'm still looking for a few things:

- Where can I find the katana
- Or the third sigil
- What do I do in the room that's adjacent of the save point in Icefire where there's a button I can't reach and a big statue in the middle (which zaps me if I hit it)

And generally about Icefire, what is needed to use the other exit to Immortal battlefield, which seems blocked for me from both sides?

1. Land of the Dead
2. Icefire Treetops
3. No idea, I must've already done it and don't remember because I don't see what you're referring to.

4. breakable wall

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I've cleared both of his light sensors, but he's still inactive. It just randomly activated while I was passing through, testing some stuff.

He activated for me when I moved the light off those sensors and then stayed activated. I think you need to move the celestial disk again.