Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love what dorks they all are when not in character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They behave like the drama club in high school

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mu Zeta posted:

They behave like the drama club in high school

They're actors. They were the drama club in high school. :nallears:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Has anybody watched any of the Youtube Spacedock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6X2deuBi4w videos? They're extremely dorky, of a Fan Wiki / TvTropes kind of way. But they're also decently well presented, made with show assets, and haven't milkshake duck'd me yet for a YouTube joint.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

ZorajitZorajit posted:

and haven't milkshake duck'd me yet for a YouTube joint.

Wha... what does that mean?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Tarquinn posted:

Wha... what does that mean?

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/741904787361300481

(If that tweet itself isn't sufficient to clear it up, the first few hits on Google for "milkshake duck" should.)

Combined with Youtube specifically, I assume it just refers to how an awful lot of popular "YouTubers™" turn out to be of poor character.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

bitprophet posted:

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/741904787361300481

(If that tweet itself isn't sufficient to clear it up, the first few hits on Google for "milkshake duck" should.)

Combined with Youtube specifically, I assume it just refers to how an awful lot of popular "YouTubers™" turn out to be of poor character.

All right, I know that tweet, just did not put two and two together.

Thanks!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i was rewatching the scene where amos explains 'the churn' to adam jensen and something jumped out at me, i think someone already pointed out that saying "sure as water's wet and sky's up" is a poor choice of words for someone who hauls ice through space, but also when amos says "we're all caught in the churn" the other dude has no idea what he's talking about- that strikes me as a particular boating metaphor, one which would make sense if you grew up in a port town like baltimore but not in space

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd tell you to go cry me a river if I thought you could appreciate what one was.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

i was rewatching the scene where amos explains 'the churn' to adam jensen and something jumped out at me, i think someone already pointed out that saying "sure as water's wet and sky's up" is a poor choice of words for someone who hauls ice through space, but also when amos says "we're all caught in the churn" the other dude has no idea what he's talking about- that strikes me as a particular boating metaphor, one which would make sense if you grew up in a port town like baltimore but not in space

That nihilistic speech owned and also really sold me on how they casted right for the role of Amos in the series.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Wes Chatham was and is a fan of the book series, with Amos as his favourite character.
He went, as I understand it, to the audition not knowing which characters they might want him for and was basically praying to get Amos. And he turned out to be basically born to play Amos, and it's just the most goddamn :allears: thing ever.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

StashAugustine posted:

i was rewatching the scene where amos explains 'the churn' to adam jensen and something jumped out at me, i think someone already pointed out that saying "sure as water's wet and sky's up" is a poor choice of words for someone who hauls ice through space,

Unless that person was born on Earth. Classic TV IV.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Groetgaffel posted:

Wes Chatham was and is a fan of the book series, with Amos as his favourite character.
He went, as I understand it, to the audition not knowing which characters they might want him for and was basically praying to get Amos. And he turned out to be basically born to play Amos, and it's just the most goddamn :allears: thing ever.

He's also married to Jen Brown from Ninja Warrior. :monocle:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

He's also married to Jen Brown from Ninja Warrior. :monocle:

Who would have thout those two would have awesome kids

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Drummer doing the “I’d gently caress her if she let me” is making me feel so wrong.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Their collaboration style is pretty neat: they chop up the POVs and pass chapters back and forth each week. That probably was influenced by GRRM and the Wildcards Trust.

Successful fiction author is probably the second best job after Lottery Winner: I imagine they don't have much trouble putting in work. If they ever hit a snag: they can always RP a few rounds!
:haw:

I'm waiting for a book that gets written by a team of writers each taking ownership of one character and working together to write the story, basically like a game of D&D. It would definitely help keep the story from feeling cliche and contrived.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Instead, it'd probably feel disjointed, disconnected and weird.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Unless that person was born on Earth. Classic TV IV.

yeah i didn't make that clear, he was obviously born on earth which is why he goes on to use a boating metaphor that the other guy doesn't get

although that makes me think- does naval shipping still exist in the expanse? idk if epstein drives are efficient and cheap enough to ship stuff via space rather than ocean

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do we know the guy isn't from Earth? I thought he worked for the Undersecretary of the UN. He doesn't sound like a Belter and he hates the Martians, at least I assume "Micky" is a derogatory term for them.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 2, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Naval and earth-based idiom isn't likely to be gone by the time the Expanse takes place. Language takes a long time to change and there's usually no real imperative to stop using common phrases that people understand. Think about how many sayings we have today that are still referencing horse-riding.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Plus so much of the show focuses on military poo poo and look how slow they're to change terminology

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

StashAugustine posted:

yeah i didn't make that clear, he was obviously born on earth which is why he goes on to use a boating metaphor that the other guy doesn't get

although that makes me think- does naval shipping still exist in the expanse? idk if epstein drives are efficient and cheap enough to ship stuff via space rather than ocean

Maybe global sea rise due to climate change made it so they didn't have to finally dredge that fuckin' canal and they could get some real boats in at the docks.

Didn't even have the ROBOTS, fuckin' ROBOTS problem in the end, either.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I just started bingewatching The Wire, having never seen it before. The whole Internet makes so much more sense now.

WHERE'S WALLACE?!

Also the Expanse is like the Wire in spaaaaaaaace.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vorgen posted:

I just started bingewatching The Wire, having never seen it before. The whole Internet makes so much more sense now.

WHERE'S WALLACE?!

Also the Expanse is like the Wire in spaaaaaaaace.

Amos grew up in Neo Baltimore and it still sucks in the future

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

etalian posted:

Amos grew up in Neo Baltimore and it still sucks in the future

No, no.

It sucks even worse in the future

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Taintrunner posted:

Drummer doing the “I’d gently caress her if she let me” is making me feel so wrong.
Me too, in all of the right ways. :heysexy:

Mu Zeta posted:

Do we know the guy isn't from Earth? I thought he worked for the Undersecretary of the UN. He doesn't sound like a Belter and he hates the Martians, at least I assume "Micky" is a derogatory term for them.
I've not read the books yet, so I could be wrong, but I got the feeling that Micky is just shorthand slang, like you'd use "brits" instead of "the British". Duster would be the derogatory term.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phenotype posted:

Naval and earth-based idiom isn't likely to be gone by the time the Expanse takes place. Language takes a long time to change and there's usually no real imperative to stop using common phrases that people understand. Think about how many sayings we have today that are still referencing horse-riding.

The military salute comes from when we wore heavy metal helmets with visors you had to raise to see someone's face.

So yeah, this stuff sticks around even when it makes no sense anymore, because habit.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

Me too, in all of the right ways. :heysexy:

I've not read the books yet, so I could be wrong, but I got the feeling that Micky is just shorthand slang, like you'd use "brits" instead of "the British". Duster would be the derogatory term.

I get that this might label me at "bad at watching TV", but my impression was exactly the other way around. I thought I heard Martians (Marines even) referring to each other as Dusters. Mickies I remember exclusively used by people currently in conflict with Martians.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dancer posted:

I get that this might label me at "bad at watching TV", but my impression was exactly the other way around. I thought I heard Martians (Marines even) referring to each other as Dusters. Mickies I remember exclusively used by people currently in conflict with Martians.

The UNN attempted deserter has a line about signing up to fight Dusters and Skinnies, so it may be both?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Zaphod42 posted:

The military salute comes from when we wore heavy metal helmets with visors you had to raise to see someone's face.

So yeah, this stuff sticks around even when it makes no sense anymore, because habit.

The "authority" position is on the left, because, from the left, you could easily prevent someone from drawing their sword while still being able to draw your own! Military officers still walk to the left of the column today. :eng101:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
At least they don't measure the Epstein Drive in horsepower anymore.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

counterfeitsaint posted:

At least they don't measure the Epstein Drive in horsepower anymore.

I wonder how many rods to the hogshead the Roci gets?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I'm champing at the bit to find out

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

StashAugustine posted:

They never call out literal cost of using the drives but it's implied (at least to me) that it is very VERY expensive to fuel. I think at one point in the books when they're considered to have hit the jackpot and are flush with cash, they think they can fly around for a few months at best before looking for more work.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I looked up some numbers for price of marine bunker fuel and the average fuel consumption per day for a good-sized container ship, and came up with 60.000 USD / day in fuel, which makes me shudder to think how much space travel costs for large ships.

Considering lifting cargo into orbit would be the most expensive part of the process also, I'm sure maritime transportation is alive and well on Earth.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 2, 2018

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Kaedric posted:

They never call out literal cost of using the drives but it's implied (at least to me) that it is very VERY expensive to fuel. I think at one point in the books when they're considered to have hit the jackpot and are flush with cash, they think they can fly around for a few months at best before looking for more work.
They're in a state of the art Martian warship. It's the maintenance costs that're loving them I think, not the fuel. Not to mention the legal fees from being sued by half the system.

If fuel were so expensive rock hoppers wouldn't be a thing.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Holy poo poo that was some good tv. I love how (spoilers for the whole series, repeatedly) how problems were actually solved without violence. Diplomacy actually worked sometimes, talking to the Protomolecule on Eros worked, powering the ships down at the end worked. Most of the time any hostile escalation outside of a defensive/survival position was shown to be a negative and it was really refreshing to see, I feel like a lot of tv just goes straight for the most badass aggressive option and glosses over any alternatives. Even Holden's obsession with destroying the Protomolecule through second season was cut short to save people, and it was shown to be the right decision.

Amos dealing with genuinely kind people like Prax and Anna was amazing every single time, it's just such a foreign viewpoint to him. And Holden was about a thousand times better when he was played with some humor, instead of just angry and yelling all the time.

I think the end of season 3 would have worked as a series finale but I'm so glad it isn't.

ETA: with some of the other big popular sci-fi and fantasy TV that I've watched lately being Westworld and Game of Thrones it's also really nice to watch a show where nobody threatens to rape any of the leads on screen. And I'm a little sad how relieved I am about it.

Solenna fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 2, 2018

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I never really looked at it that way before. In comparison to something like Star Trek the setting is incredibly cynical, and a lot of time is spent watching people who mean the best being frustrated by just how hard it is to change things... but in the end the story is about people trying to do the right thing. In the face of the unknown humanity doesn't respond well by default, but maybe if enough people care and try their hardest we can do better.

I like the Star Trek style optimistic setting where a fully realized good future is shown as an example of what humanity could be, but I also really like this setting, where a realistically terrible future is presented, but people are trying to make it better, as an example of what humanity can do.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Solenna posted:

ETA: with some of the other big popular sci-fi and fantasy TV that I've watched lately being Westworld and Game of Thrones it's also really nice to watch a show where nobody threatens to rape any of the leads on screen. And I'm a little sad how relieved I am about it.

This is one of my favorite things about the authors, they have an apparently rare talent for being cynical/realistic without veering too far into gritty for grit's sake which is sadly just so drat widespread these days. For example, Daniel Abraham's solo work The Dagger & The Coin series (highly recommended!) has similar properties.

Also I have a bad habit of posting choice bits from SA threads as Twitter "OH" (overheard), did so for the above quote, and Daniel actually saw it and replied!

https://twitter.com/AbrahamHanover/status/1025168396026032128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

tooterfish posted:

They're in a state of the art Martian warship. It's the maintenance costs that're loving them I think, not the fuel. Not to mention the legal fees from being sued by half the system.

If fuel were so expensive rock hoppers wouldn't be a thing.

Yeah but rock hoppers are generally using torch drives, not epstein. I'm assuming different fuel costs/needs there.