Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Why does everyone act stupid when the boss takes a day off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
thanks for sharing y'all. still interested to hear anyone else's perspective if others wanna chime in.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Coasterphreak posted:

Why does everyone act stupid when the boss takes a day off

It's not an act.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Got the part time buffet job. Got my schedule reduced at the bar so I still get a day off every week. The head of buffet at the new place is someone I've worked with before and we got along really well, so that's neat. I know she has high standards and good cleanliness standards, which is a godsend in this hickass land of sloppy stoner cooks. Hopefully my "best of both worlds" gamble on these two jobs ends up the way I'm hoping and not in a complete shitshow.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I love it when people wait till the day of to piss and moan about when their scheduled break is, despite the schedule being posted almost a week prior.

And then they get mad when I tell them they need to take up scheduling issues with the guy that writes the schedule instead of bitching at me about it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Coasterphreak posted:

I love it when people wait till the day of to piss and moan about when their scheduled break is, despite the schedule being posted almost a week prior.

And then they get mad when I tell them they need to take up scheduling issues with the guy that writes the schedule instead of bitching at me about it.

Maybe they're making conversation in the universal language: Complaining about poo poo that don't matter.

OmegaBeard
Sep 13, 2010
I'll chime in on ADHD chat.
I was diagnosed as a child, after extensive testing from multiple doctors. I had counseling sessions and ongoing monitoring regarding the Ritalin and how it was interacting with my functioning, emotional outbursts, and basically everything.
I was on 5 mg dose to multiple 10 mg daily to a... 2 or 3x/day at 20mg.
While I didn't have the words or experience at that time to fully understand or express the changes, they were night and day.
Off Ritalin, or before and after it would peak, I would get into terrible brawls, burst into tears, or be so hyped focused I wouldn't notice my father actually screaming into my ear. All of these were uncontrollable. I was also disturbingly quick, reading (though not fully comprehending) full novels or racing through homework for 3 chapters ahead of what was required (while failing to do the assignment).
On Ritalin, I was too aware to be a zombie, but I may as well have been one. My head felt packed full of wool, and my brain would be screaming to follow a train of thought, to run ahead, to imagine a new exoplanet or anything at all while my arm would mechanically write out the test.
In high school I refused to take it any longer. That began years of academic gently caress uppery as CDC and others know well, I'm sure.
It took me a long drat time to figure out how to work with my brain, and how to make it's style work for me.
I'm unable to focus on 1 thing, unless the hyperfocus kicks in. On the other hand, I'm a native multitasker. I'm currently working on teaching my left and right hands to type independently to tinker with multiple PCs at the same time, because why not?
I'm more able to answer specific questions, sorry for the rambling.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Yeah, my thing is hobbies. I've been trying to pick up mechanically interesting stuff like woodworking, 3D printing, etc. So that I have something to do with my hands AND my brain. It's been working great so far, except for when I dropped cycling after getting hit a few times, and run over once.

But other than that, yay hobbies!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I have tons of doodles in the margins of all my notebooks because of that same thing. If my hands aren't doing something I start doing the junkie shuffle.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Last week we had some flooding and the main road was closed so we impressed upon our Sysco rep that this was the case and an alternate route must be taken. We were told that the message was received and that we were the next stop for sure, and then when the truck reached the flooded road dispatch told him to go home and we didn't find out we weren't getting our delivery till after we closed. That truck had 24 lobsters on it, which we told them to keep at this point, because we needed them early the next day and had to make other arrangements.

They sent the same lobsters out again the next day anyway, they were already half dead and we refused them. A week later on our next seafood order we ordered 24 lobsters and they sent us literally the same disintegrating box of old dead lobsters. When we refused them they dumped them in our dumpster and now the parking lot stinks of rotten lobsters till Friday. Suck my swampy taint, sysco

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 1, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It's hard to explain, but ADHD isn't like a disease, or disorder. My brain is functionally different than yours. I don't understand math the way you do; that doesn't mean I'm bad at math, I just process it differently(really loving good at math, btw).
Yeah, ADD is really only a disability in school and certain tedious lines of work, but all the emphasis is on fixing the add instead of learning to use your own brain correctly and find a career that's stimulating for you (and also most white collar offce work is ADHD hell. Lol!)

Source: unmedicated severe adhd, currently swimming in student debt at a restaurant job I love

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 1, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I really do wish this profession paid more. Throwing my hat into the "yeah, I have ADHD and sticking me in front of a computer all day is a bad idea" ring.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I work in a tiny kitchen that runs basically 3 overlapping businesses at once (seafood takeout, catering, and pies) where I'm the sole employee and the whole back of the house much of the time and we're wildly disorganized from the top and everything is on the fly and inconsistent and this would drive most people insane but all the chaos flows into my head and hot food comes out on time, and I enjoy the challenge and never being bored at work

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 1, 2018

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

iospace posted:

I really do wish this profession paid more. Throwing my hat into the "yeah, I have ADHD and sticking me in front of a computer all day is a bad idea" ring.

Man I have the exact opposite problem, a buddy of mine started an IT business a few years back and I helped him out doing basic installs, virus stuff, wiping hardrives and reinstalling poo poo. When I didn't have anything to do I would help him build websites and I would be falling asleep in my chair after a half an hour.

I wish I could do it because the money is great but I literally fall asleep it bores me so much.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Field Mousepad posted:

Man I have the exact opposite problem, a buddy of mine started an IT business a few years back and I helped him out doing basic installs, virus stuff, wiping hardrives and reinstalling poo poo. When I didn't have anything to do I would help him build websites and I would be falling asleep in my chair after a half an hour.

I wish I could do it because the money is great but I literally fall asleep it bores me so much.

That's the problem. I have the education (and love) for embedded programming. The problem is for the first few months I'm great then I lose interest fast.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Are you on medication? Could you work somewhere they could rotate you on to new projects or something like that? I've never done any official IT stuff except for helping my friend out.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

poverty goat posted:

Last week we had some flooding and the main road was closed so we impressed upon our Sysco rep that this was the case and an alternate route must be taken. We were told that the message was received and that we were the next stop for sure, and then when the truck reached the flooded road dispatch told him to go home and we didn't find out we weren't getting our delivery till after we closed. That truck had 24 lobsters on it, which we told them to keep at this point, because we needed them early the next day and had to make other arrangements.

They sent the same lobsters out again the next day anyway, they were already half dead and we refused them. A week later on our next seafood order we ordered 24 lobsters and they sent us literally the same disintegrating box of old dead lobsters. When we refused them they dumped them in our dumpster and now the parking lot stinks of rotten lobsters till Friday. Suck my swampy taint, sysco

We (both mine and my sister restaurant next door) used to buy from Sysco and US Foods. My KM, who does the ordering for both places, threatened to kick Sysco to the curb if they couldn't get our trucks in by 5am, bc we open at 6am and need to have the staff on deck, not loving around with trucks. US always got there by 4:30, even during freak snowstorms in April. She finally made good on that threat, bc Sysco just couldn't get their poo poo together, so we don't deal with them anymore.

Can't wait to tell my KM your story, that's just horrible and all the more reason not to deal with them.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
My sysco rep is pissing me off and not getting me the glass bottled Coke (and diet) that I need. "2-3 week special order" took 7 weeks last time. I want to email him a screenshot of that poo poo and just be "bruh, what the gently caress".

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

You don't have a coke distributor that can get you glass bottles? Is it the cane sugar 12oz bottles? Our coke distributor has changed hands like 3 or 4 times but still gets us poo poo every monday without fail.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Oh Sysco.

We aren't the type of place that would normally use Sysco at all but we're affiliated with a large group so we get a special pricing tier and it's (kind of) worth it. When I'm buying name brand products or paper towels or whatever it doesn't really matter but every once in a while they'll randomly switch me to Sysco brand garbage on some item. Most recently I ordered wild rice and they send me sysco brand wild rice ricearoni. I like sending my rep really long rambling texts about how much I hate her company and usually it's too hard for them to process a return so I get credited and it just turns into staff meal, most of the time it's win win unless I was ordering a product that I actually loving needed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

poverty goat posted:

Yeah, ADD is really only a disability in school and certain tedious lines of work, but all the emphasis is on fixing the add instead of learning to use your own brain correctly and find a career that's stimulating for you (and also most white collar offce work is ADHD hell. Lol!)

Source: unmedicated severe adhd, currently swimming in student debt at a restaurant job I love

It's a problem in tons of lines of work. Pretty much any desk job or gig that requires concentration. I have enough trouble staying on task at work, and I have a desk job that I can interrupt with going for long walks to check on servers and run SA in a third monitor. I can't imagine driving a truck for a living or doing warehouse work.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 2, 2018

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
One of my coworkers has been disappeared by some immigration agency. Don't know where he is or how he's doing or if he's even alive. And we just go on like it's another day. He could be in one of those loving concentration camps they built in Texas. Around here, guys can walk into restaurants wearing neo-nazi apparel and nobody bats a loving eye, they get served like anybody else. Hasn't happened in my place, that I've noticed, but I'm really about to see red if things keep going this way.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

It's a problem in tons of lines of work. Pretty much any desk job or gig that requires concentration. I have enough trouble staying on task at work, and I have a desk job that I can interrupt with going for long walks to check on servers and run SA in a third monitor. I can't imagine driving a truck for a living or doing warehouse work.

I just wish ADHD(I believe ADD as a term was phased out?) was covered in some part by the ADA, just so that employers would be forced to have some basic knowledge of it.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

It is also utter hell in manufacturing with long shifts. And it's also a problem for daily living in general for some of us cause it causes executive dysfunction >>

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I just wish ADHD(I believe ADD as a term was phased out?) was covered in some part by the ADA, just so that employers would be forced to have some basic knowledge of it.

Severe enough ADHD absolutely is covered, any severe disability is. Ada isn't some all encompassing list of things.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We just dropped Sysco too, because they told us they were going to stop delivering on Mondays and Tuesdays. Our entire town got dropped from their routes on those days. We're the 3rd largest city in the state (though that doesn't mean much, it's still small).

Animal-Mother posted:

One of my coworkers has been disappeared by some immigration agency. Don't know where he is or how he's doing or if he's even alive. And we just go on like it's another day. He could be in one of those loving concentration camps they built in Texas. Around here, guys can walk into restaurants wearing neo-nazi apparel and nobody bats a loving eye, they get served like anybody else. Hasn't happened in my place, that I've noticed, but I'm really about to see red if things keep going this way.

This is super hosed. It's terrifying to have people just disappear because the gov't kidnapped them, especially with the possibility that a racist customer called them in.

We get skinhead bikers on occasion, and even the regular farmer idiots spout all sorts of racist garbage near daily. One of our beer delivery guys is a full on "America first" idiot. We aren't allowed to gently caress with the customers unless they're causing a problem in the bar, but that beer guy gets endless poo poo. "How's it going? When's the next Klan meeting?" etc.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 2, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

We get some of our stuff from Sysco, but it's usually dry goods like sugar. Almost everything in the walk-ins is from somewhere else.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

What the gently caress. What state is this?

I’ve got the day off and coincidentally there’s a rally downtown related to this poo poo, headed by our governor and a bunch of arts organizations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hauki posted:

What the gently caress. What state is this?

all of them.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Hauki
May 11, 2010

:911: :heritage:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

This and the concentration camps aren't just in Texas. They're shipping people all over.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

JacquelineDempsey posted:

We (both mine and my sister restaurant next door) used to buy from Sysco and US Foods. My KM, who does the ordering for both places, threatened to kick Sysco to the curb if they couldn't get our trucks in by 5am, bc we open at 6am and need to have the staff on deck, not loving around with trucks. US always got there by 4:30, even during freak snowstorms in April. She finally made good on that threat, bc Sysco just couldn't get their poo poo together, so we don't deal with them anymore.

Can't wait to tell my KM your story, that's just horrible and all the more reason not to deal with them.

One of my favorite parts in Kitchen Confidential was when his manager had the trucks that showed up late unload everything so he could confirm the manifest then load it back up and gently caress off because he doesn't accept late deliveries. Iunno if it's true, but I like to hope it is.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Jesus christ, you people serious buy things from Sysco and call it food?!

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I buy AP flour (they carry the stuff from the local mill), sugar, paper towels, and Oasis pineapple juice from Sysco, and yeah, it's just as good as anywhere else. Except for when they gently caress things up, but my Sysco rep has been good buddies with the guy who owns my restaurant for like 22 years or some poo poo.

edit: as for the person asking about a Coke rep, no, that's not a thing here. Also I'm Canadian so I don't have to differentiate between Coke with real sugar and Coke with corn syrup, because that garbage just doesn't exist. I could get it through my other non-alcoholic beverage supplier but we generally only do orders from them every couple of months and I go through (barely) too much coke to want to keep 15 cases of it sitting in my basement at a time.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 3, 2018

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Sysco bought European Imports a few years ago, and recently acquired Freshpoint, they've got their hand in a little bit of everything.

Do most of my ordering through Gordon Food Service, not much better.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Sysco sources some of their stuff from the same independent distributors I would use, only cheaper. You just have to be careful with what you get from them. It's not like cans of Coke or jugs of ecolab soap are different when they come from Sysco.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, just depends on your regional Sysco distribution center.

In other news, I'm moving to Tokyo in 12-18 months. I have the option to stay with our parent company and work in Osaka, or I could look for something in Tokyo, any recommendations?

Also, California goons, I'mma be stoned in your wonderful state from the 13th thru 16th in SF, so if you wanna get drinks/food PM me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Is there any reason server would give more than required cash change, rounding up to the next dollar to avoid handling coins?