Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I'm intrigued by the new DLC, but I can't start it on an existing playthrough. I have to start over from the beginning. The Magran and Berath challenges excite me in indescribably NSFW ways. The RNG will decide who gets an epilogue slide this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I can't play the DLC right now, but I checked with my pre-endgame save and, while I don't get the missive, the new area appears just fine and everything goes as it seems to be supposed to.

Does that not happen for you?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think you have to enter and leave a town before you get the missive.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Urthor posted:

Any advice for someone building melee wizard for their path of the damned run?

Haven't been following the patch notes since 1.0 and afaik Wizard as a class has been through the Sawyer/Thanos tumble dryer a few times and most of the guides for melee wizards are well out of date.

What's the situation with subclasses, must have unique items etc?

Most important thing for melee wizards really is to spend some time in the AI editor. Stack all your fast cast buffs at the start of every combat and go to town.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Ok so unfortunately I only have access to a laptop to play because I won't have access to my desktop gaming PC for the next couple of months. It's a beefy laptop but not gaming oriented. It's got a decent GPU as far as laptops go (Nvidia Quadro M1200, definitely not optimum for gaming but probably better than Intel GPUs). Anyway, I set the game's graphics to low and, well, it's difficult to play. The "Lights" option is turned off, but now there's basically no loving lights at all. I thought it'd turn off dynamic lighting only, not every drat source of light. In dark areas, I basically can't see poo poo.

I mean, come on.

Is there a setting somewhere I overlooked?

Furism fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 3, 2018

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Furism posted:

Ok so I unfortunately I only have access to a laptop to play because I won't have access to my desktop gaming PC for the next couple of months. It's a beefy laptop but not gaming oriented. It's got a decent GPU as far as laptops go (Nvidia Quadro M1200, definitely not optimum for gaming but probably better than Intel GPUs). Anyway, I set the game's graphics to low and, well, it's difficult to play. The "Lights" option is turned off, but now there's basically no loving lights at all. I thought it'd turn off dynamic lighting only, not every drat source of light. In dark areas, I basically can't see poo poo.

I mean, come on.

Adjusting the gamma slider?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Urthor posted:

Any advice for someone building melee wizard for their path of the damned run?

Haven't been following the patch notes since 1.0 and afaik Wizard as a class has been through the Sawyer/Thanos tumble dryer a few times and most of the guides for melee wizards are well out of date.

What's the situation with subclasses, must have unique items etc?

Poe2 mega nerfed the earth shattering gods that melee wizards were in PoE1. It can still be done kinda but not on the PoE1 level, they can dual wield 2 two-handers with a spell.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Furism posted:

Ok so unfortunately I only have access to a laptop to play because I won't have access to my desktop gaming PC for the next couple of months. It's a beefy laptop but not gaming oriented. It's got a decent GPU as far as laptops go (Nvidia Quadro M1200, definitely not optimum for gaming but probably better than Intel GPUs). Anyway, I set the game's graphics to low and, well, it's difficult to play. The "Lights" option is turned off, but now there's basically no loving lights at all. I thought it'd turn off dynamic lighting only, not every drat source of light. In dark areas, I basically can't see poo poo.

I mean, come on.

Ahaha, does this mean there are no baked lights in this goddamn isometric game? That would explain a lot about why my PC performed worse on POE2 than on Witcher 3 or DA Inquisition.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
At the end of the DLC, when dealing with the dragon and attempting to convince it go fight Rymrgand instead, what are the possible outcomes? I didn't have enough Arcane or Bluff.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Whoever designed the Drowned Kingdom perfectly managed to duplicate what it feels like to be trapped in an endless realm of entropy. If been going through it for about ten minutes and I already want to die.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

steinrokkan posted:

Ahaha, does this mean there are no baked lights in this goddamn isometric game? That would explain a lot about why my PC performed worse on POE2 than on Witcher 3 or DA Inquisition.

The game has full lighting effects and shadows on basically every special ability and spell. The game being isometric is what lets those effects look so nice in the first place, since the lighting calculations and effects only need to be done for a single angle across all the geometry.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Adjusting the gamma slider?

It's set all the way up (1.3).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bewilderment posted:

The game has full lighting effects and shadows on basically every special ability and spell. The game being isometric is what lets those effects look so nice in the first place, since the lighting calculations and effects only need to be done for a single angle across all the geometry.

I don't think that's what isometric means.

Anyway, most games use environmental lights that are baked into textures to make the game less demanding whenever possible. If turning off lights in the settings completely removes all light sources and all lighting effects in the game, that sounds like a very poorly designed solution.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think that's what isometric means.

Anyway, most games use environmental lights that are baked into textures to make the game less demanding whenever possible. If turning off lights in the settings completely removes all light sources and all lighting effects in the game, that sounds like a very poorly designed solution.

There's native light sources in the overworld, but dungeon lighting uses the elaborate lighting system to get all those gnarly shadow effects, and I dig that you need some kind of torch (or Fire Godlike) to navigate places like the Oathbinder's Sanctum.

It is dumb that turning of lighting just makes dungeons all black. Is there a second-lowest setting that just gets rid of shadows and doesn't kill processors? I'd personally rather have a pretty game with lower FPS, but there definitely ought to be an option that lets you see things and have a decent framerate.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

That one video they showed off back at the beginning of the Fig campaign I think shows off baked in lighting? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiep0wYfQPQ&feature=share

At the end where they start flipping around the 2D pre-render. You can see the torches and the little ball in-world casting dynamic light, but stuff like the Adra column just appear to have the light set into the scene.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Poe2 mega nerfed the earth shattering gods that melee wizards were in PoE1. It can still be done kinda but not on the PoE1 level, they can dual wield 2 two-handers with a spell.

I mean that's not really true. Spell slinging wizards are definitely extremely strong even after the nerfs

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I think there might be something wrong, maybe with my hardware configuration. Even if I turn on the lights it's very very dark.

I'll make a post on the official forum I guess.

rodomontade
Oct 10, 2013
I got a huge FPS boost by setting MSAA to 0 (enough that I could enable lights and be playable on a garbage laptop intel card) by manually editing the config file... unfortunately I also lost loot highlighting, stealth indicators and a couple other useful visuals. I set that one back up to 1 immediately. :(

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Furism posted:

I think there might be something wrong, maybe with my hardware configuration. Even if I turn on the lights it's very very dark.

Let us know if they say anything, I have the same thing with dark indoor areas and I always just assumed it was supposed to be that way. Atmosphere over playability and all that.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Furism posted:

did you try equipping a torch

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Octo1 posted:

A friend said this to me as a joke (he'd never played the game) but this is the answer.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Zane posted:

weird. i have a pretty drat old athlon II and some 2gb card from the same generation and they collectively run too fast if anything. i have to shut down my overclock profile. everything smooth on highest settings.

It's apparently an issue with Unity on multi core processors or something that devs claim they can do nothing about. (Good reason to seemingly exclusively build games in Unity)

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Octo1 posted:

Well there's Xoti's but that doesn't light much (she has it equipped on the screenshot I posted). I literally can't see the enemies when I fight. Pretty sure it's not as dark on my desktop PC. And that doesn't solve the issue of the game being pitch-black when you disable the lights in the graphic options.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Miftan posted:

A friend said this to me as a joke (he'd never played the game) but this is the answer.

That's what Xoti is for

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's what Xoti is for

I play without her now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Miftan posted:

I play without her now.

Well that's why you're lost in darkness.

No joke my mom Xoti alternate party I have a dude weilding the saber torch.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The sabre torch is fun. The above (anomalous?) examples aside, I generally like that dungeons and some buildings can be quite dark. The cave on the first immediately felt way more like a cave than anything in the first game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Freudian slip much?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Urthor posted:

I mean that's not really true. Spell slinging wizards are definitely extremely strong even after the nerfs

You didn't ask about spell casting wizards?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Tenzarin posted:

What was mega-nerfed? The spirit lance is worse, but you can summon phantoms that inherit your weapons. Your defensive buffs are just as good or better. You no longer have poor accuracy to work around. Deleterious alacrity “only” gives you 15% action speed instead of 50%, but it also gives you 5 dex for another 15% action speed and 10 reflex, and it’s one of the strongest movement powers in the game. And as a third level power you can completely shut down most melee enemies for a long duration with ryngrim’s repulsive visage.

Wizard is probably the most versatile and powerful class for multiclassing, since it brings amazing defensive buffs and a huge number of nasty combos with citzal’s spirit lance. Arcane Knight is an unkillable tank with amazing spell damage (inspired devotion, sworn enemy and eternal flame all apply to spells), powerful heals and strong melee attacks. Sage cheeses the spirit lance better than anyone and also offers amazing boosts to wizard spells, while greatly enjoying the wizard’s defensive buffs. Warlock can blast offensive spells out like a machine gun, then switch to melee and clean up anything left standing. Other melee wizard multiclass pairs, like fighter, soul blade, skald, rogue or ranger can all find amazing synergy with the wizard’s tool kit.

I haven’t tried a single class melee wizard. They lose out on the combo potential and Citzal’s Enchanted Armory, which should be their capstone spell, is thoroughly unimpressive except in style. But, minoletta’s piercing sigil and cloak of death look batshit crazy. Hard CC and heavy damage to anything that hits you in melee? Looks great!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can equip Xoti's torch to different characters. I let Edér carry it on his defensive weapon set, and he lights he way just fine.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Did they change Modwyr's soulbinding so you have to actually progress the soulbinding before Yngfrth spawns?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Rascyc posted:

They bring two of the best raw damage spells in the game

I'm picking on this because I see it a lot, but like...that's a bad thing. Raw damage is situational. Raw damage means there's no overpenetration bonus, and there are no lashes or increases for raw damage. Ciphers already have lots of good armor pen options, so only doing raw damage is frankly a downside. This is why Ciphers have pretty much nonexistant itemization - loving nothing boosts drat near anything they do, so you just pile on generic items that work for anyone.

Which goes back to my complaint. Cipher isn't terrible. But the only things about it that stand out are 2 good charms and their bad pacing mechanic. Ascendent is great, because it turns out, that's also kinda the only way to play a cipher that actually makes use of being a cipher - shoot once or twice, then hang out in the back and spam spells. You know, like a wizard. Except wizards don't have to shoot once or twice first, and then have a plethora of options besides that. And I'm not saying wizards are overpowered, mind you - I'm saying cipher's gotta reach that level. That cipher can't even melee as well as a wizard despite ostensibly being the class meant to be both caster and melee in one - despite having a subclass devoted entirely to melee - is kinda sad. Ask yourself: when's the last time you or anyone else considered a single class Soulblade?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Ask yourself: when's the last time you or anyone else considered a single class Soulblade?

Single class soul blade is probably not bad as far as melee builds go. Soul Annihilation is really strong. The tool tip description is wrong, it’s actually much, much stronger than the description indicates at higher levels. So single class soul blade brings great control powers, limited, but powerful support, the strongest self buffs in the game and vicious melee damage. But, aside from the fact that a class like street fighter amplifies your melee damage with soul annihilation far higher than even time parasite can, death of 1000 cuts probably has higher single target damage potential than soul annihilation on a single class soul blade anyway, which makes the the subclass pointless at top level compared to ascendant.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
People who are smart about classes, can you help me transfer a concept into a character?

I played through PoE 1 with a wizard that over time became more and more about crowd and mind control. I took the Whispers of Treason off-class ability, found a bunch of items that gave mind control powers, cast a lot of AoE crowd control and AoE charms and the like. The idea is a kind of haughty noble that sends others to do the dirty work and sets things in motion by beguiling, charming and tricking people.

So originally, I was planning to make a Cipher/Wizard for this game. But it seems like that's not a great idea because Cipher wants to be on the front line doing damage then casting spells and CC wizard wants to be on the back line casting spells. They kind of conflict. In my concept, I am thinking Illusionist, but in game, it seems like illusions are better suited towards being on the front line as well? Automatic deflection, fear spells with a close range etc.

So then that seems to point to a Transmuter build which has lots of CC but not mind control. So maybe I want a single class wizard so I can get to cool CC spells like Pull of Eora ASAP? But the ability of Transmuters is to turn into giant ogre, which, again sends you to the front lines.

So I'm not sure how best to proceed and it seems like the ability and class adjustments are slowing down so I was gonna finish off the summer with a play through.

Any tips you have, or good guides you want to point me to would be most welcome. I'm going to try to play blind plot-wise but I'm paralyzed at the character creation screen.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm picking on this because I see it a lot, but like...that's a bad thing. Raw damage is situational. Raw damage means there's no overpenetration bonus, and there are no lashes or increases for raw damage. Ciphers already have lots of good armor pen options, so only doing raw damage is frankly a downside. This is why Ciphers have pretty much nonexistant itemization - loving nothing boosts drat near anything they do, so you just pile on generic items that work for anyone.

Which goes back to my complaint. Cipher isn't terrible. But the only things about it that stand out are 2 good charms and their bad pacing mechanic. Ascendent is great, because it turns out, that's also kinda the only way to play a cipher that actually makes use of being a cipher - shoot once or twice, then hang out in the back and spam spells. You know, like a wizard. Except wizards don't have to shoot once or twice first, and then have a plethora of options besides that. And I'm not saying wizards are overpowered, mind you - I'm saying cipher's gotta reach that level. That cipher can't even melee as well as a wizard despite ostensibly being the class meant to be both caster and melee in one - despite having a subclass devoted entirely to melee - is kinda sad. Ask yourself: when's the last time you or anyone else considered a single class Soulblade?
Disintegrate targeting fortitude makes it basically the best range killer in the game, and even its grazes can kill extremely high armor juggernauts like Paladin classed Risen. If you play on an easier difficulty setting then whatever but that spell has a very good use and it does a Very Good Job. Recall Agony is basically a damage multiplier that feeds off all other damage so the fact that it's raw makes it usable pretty much everywhere that you can sneak a Will hit in.

The itemization and over-penetration arguments are good though. I think I stand that Ciphers are really good at on-level/above-level PotD-scaled content and probably can't flex like the other classes when going against easier stuff so why bother.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Furism posted:

I mean, come on.

You got something else going on somewhere.

No torch:

Torch:

And some rooms just get natural lighting drawn in so it'll be inconsistent:

Xoti's lantern btw will turn off completely with the Lights off. It'll still retain its purple glow effect periodically but you'll want to switch to a torch if you toggle the Lights option to off. Torches just override the Lights option as best I can tell.

Furism posted:

It's set all the way up (1.3).
Ah this is it. Turn it the other way, it's reversed for some reason so you need to move it to the left to brighten the game.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 3, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rascyc posted:

The itemization and over-penetration arguments are good though. I think I stand that Ciphers are really good at on-level/above-level PotD-scaled content and probably can't flex like the other classes when going against easier stuff so why bother.
One way to make itemization a bit easier would be to combine some keywords. There are a ton of them. I don't understand why Wizards have Illusion and Ciphers have Deception as separate things, for instance. Just combining those puts some items on the table for Ciphers that really weren't before and also changes some multiclass dynamics around. I'm also sure that there actually are good reasons for this split that I'm just not seeing, but still.

Raw is also really nice sometimes and kind of meaningless otherwise. Its nice to have relatively guaranteed damage, especially if you're a class that can't just swap grimoires around to deal with various types of resistances. And while Ciphers already have good spell penetration generally, having things that bypass the armor mechanic altogether can be great when failing to penetrate at all punishes you pretty heavily. Yeah, it can't over-penetrate, but that's less of a downside than being able to always penetrate is an upside. All things being equal, I think I'd prefer raw over other damage types, just because I know it'll work.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What was mega-nerfed? The spirit lance is worse, but you can summon phantoms that inherit your weapons. Your defensive buffs are just as good or better. You no longer have poor accuracy to work around. Deleterious alacrity “only” gives you 15% action speed instead of 50%, but it also gives you 5 dex for another 15% action speed and 10 reflex, and it’s one of the strongest movement powers in the game. And as a third level power you can completely shut down most melee enemies for a long duration with ryngrim’s repulsive visage.

Alacrity is a big one but it was op in PoE1 and the loss of bloody slaughter/Vulnerable Attack/Savage Attack/weapon focus/Hardened Veil. You could technically still get bloody slaughter or a weapon focus but you also have to multiclass to get it. You can still get the deflection high but it involves more casts than only having to put up arcane veil in PoE1. Melee wizard never really had to worry about accuracy in PoE1, you could dump con and res easy.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

People who are smart about classes, can you help me transfer a concept into a character?

I played through PoE 1 with a wizard that over time became more and more about crowd and mind control. I took the Whispers of Treason off-class ability, found a bunch of items that gave mind control powers, cast a lot of AoE crowd control and AoE charms and the like. The idea is a kind of haughty noble that sends others to do the dirty work and sets things in motion by beguiling, charming and tricking people.

So originally, I was planning to make a Cipher/Wizard for this game. But it seems like that's not a great idea because Cipher wants to be on the front line doing damage then casting spells and CC wizard wants to be on the back line casting spells. They kind of conflict. In my concept, I am thinking Illusionist, but in game, it seems like illusions are better suited towards being on the front line as well? Automatic deflection, fear spells with a close range etc.

So then that seems to point to a Transmuter build which has lots of CC but not mind control. So maybe I want a single class wizard so I can get to cool CC spells like Pull of Eora ASAP? But the ability of Transmuters is to turn into giant ogre, which, again sends you to the front lines.

So I'm not sure how best to proceed and it seems like the ability and class adjustments are slowing down so I was gonna finish off the summer with a play through.

Any tips you have, or good guides you want to point me to would be most welcome. I'm going to try to play blind plot-wise but I'm paralyzed at the character creation screen.

the trickster pure cipher is exactly this, and gains higher range on their favored spells so they can backline with a ranged weapon when they're not casting.