Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe the sneeze rockets reset after a particular period of illness is over. Like that was the 25th sneeze during this particular bout of the flu.

Also I'm learning way too much about the immune system for a show in which a weedy kid turns into a muscleman and beats up zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

macrophage doesn't like to stick with one weapon class :black101:

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Wow!
I like how Basophil got a lot more lines and they showed the stomach a bit more than in the manga.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I appreciate the Doomsday Prophet White Blood Cell

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I regret wikipediaing anisakis

Griz
May 21, 2001

StandardVC10 posted:

This is the strangest edutainment program I've ever watched.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I learned so loving much this episode its great

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This is a good show

The edutainment to comfy ratio feels very kemono friends like to me

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I kinda wish the parasite fight had been more than one blow, but good episode nonetheless.

It's great that Basophil, a cell whose function is stated to be somewhat unknown, gets portrayed as a poetry-spouting hooded informant. *Mysterioussss*

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's good to know that I have cute dragoon girls in my body that drive out parasites.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Fun fact about Eosinophil: It's presence usually increases, not just in the presence of parasites, but also in individuals with asthma playing one of the cell types in autoimmune function.

As far as Basophil is concerned, it's actually another histamine cell like the Mast cell (and both, along with Eosinophil are present in allergic reactions), but it runs around the bloodstream instead of with the tissues. Hopefully we see more of them in the Allergy episode

Next ep is supposed to be chapter 2 where it introduces B Cell and Memory T cell as well as the first example of how the series treats synthetic medicines.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That doctor's note thing is still continuing. There are also some pretty interesting things being brought up in the comments:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/913mov/hataraku_saibou_ep_3_doctors_notes/

quote:

That platelet interaction is apparently a reference to a known "piggybacking" phenomenon seen in thromboinflammatory conditions! The platelet and neutrophil have several receptors that can interact to allow them to associate.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Xelkelvos posted:

Fun fact about Eosinophil: It's presence usually increases, not just in the presence of parasites, but also in individuals with asthma playing one of the cell types in autoimmune function.

As far as Basophil is concerned, it's actually another histamine cell like the Mast cell (and both, along with Eosinophil are present in allergic reactions), but it runs around the bloodstream instead of with the tissues. Hopefully we see more of them in the Allergy episode

Next ep is supposed to be chapter 2 where it introduces B Cell and Memory T cell as well as the first example of how the series treats synthetic medicines.

Black shows more of them, and their designs are pretty cool.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
Really enjoying this show, but while following the story of all these anthropomorphized cells at work, I've begun to wonder about all the cells at work within the cells we've been watching work.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Mitochondria is the best char and you know it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ImpulseDrive posted:

Really enjoying this show, but while following the story of all these anthropomorphized cells at work, I've begun to wonder about all the cells at work within the cells we've been watching work.

and the cells in those cells, and the cells in those cells, etc

it's turtles all the way down

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
CGDCT show about the six flavours of quark

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I demand that all of you drop whatever you're doing right now and admire this precious bouncing platelet.

https://twitter.com/HashinoMizuha/status/1023130397159223296

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

nendo

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Zomborgon posted:

It's great that Basophil, a cell whose function is stated to be somewhat unknown, gets portrayed as a poetry-spouting hooded informant. *Mysterioussss*
Perfect portrayal of Basophil:
https://twitter.com/DiOPPIO/status/1023415690139598848

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Basophil is sorta implied to do stuff with allergies since it can also produce histamine. Eosinophil otoh, makes a bunch of enzymes for loving up parasites including enzymes that help make hydrogen peroxide and hydrogen bromide (at least according to Wiki). Eosinophil also shows up for allergic reactions, so hopefully they're get an anime original appearance in the next episode while the Mast cell makes things worse.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'm lovin' these pathogen designs. They really went all out giving them these crazy looks instead of just having a guy in a t-shirt that says bacteria in it or something.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

galagazombie posted:

I'm lovin' these pathogen designs. They really went all out giving them these crazy looks instead of just having a guy in a t-shirt that says bacteria in it or something.

It really was a perfect choice to go with David production for this adaptation

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Zomborgon posted:

I kinda wish the parasite fight had been more than one blow, but good episode nonetheless.

The sheer volume of cryptic bullshit really elevated it for me.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/rentarashiya/status/1024630258706702341

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Switch platelet and macrophage panels with each other imo

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
This show is great. Platelets are adorable.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zero_Tactility posted:

The sheer volume of cryptic bullshit really elevated it for me.

I want another Basophil to show up that actually talks normal (but has some other Chuuni work)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

El Burbo posted:

Switch platelet and macrophage panels with each other imo

But what of Eosinophil?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/manga/29187/hataraku-saibou-black oh hey there

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i want to see what the gently caress that person's life is like

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

hello

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Space Flower posted:

Japan has a smoking rate of 21% (to the USA's 17.2 and the UK's 19.2, with men having higher than average prevalence in most countries) and is famed* for certain horrid parts of their business' work-life imbalance. So, these sorts of symptoms would be largely common in your standard salaryman.

However, after 10 years clean, something significant likely triggered the relapse.

*I hope that there have been improvements since that image became well-known, but I haven't heard much to suggest it's the case.

In lighter news, I'm glad our more busy white cell in Black gets a proper katana instead of just a combat knife. Looks like she'll need the reach for efficiency's sake.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
it's impossible for me to take the drama in this seriously i think about the cells going 'our guys started smoking afain after ten years, we're all gonna get killed on the regular' and i just laugh my rear end off

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I only just got that Cells At Work Black is called that because its referring to 'black companies'; i.e., companies that overwork their employees regularly

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

:yikes:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Space Flower posted:

The original manga/anime seems to be going to great pains to avoid addressing who the original body is outside of being A: the most unlucky person in existence (there's some real messed-up stuff that happens even in the original), and B: Someone actually attempting to take care of themselves (the working environment is pretty decent and there aren't any major issues outside of injuries/afflictions).

The Black body, in comparison, seems to be pretty clearly a middle-aged dude, an overworked overweight depressed drinker/smoker who's done some pretty questionable stuff to himself and has some seriously nasty afflictions.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

...I should probably stop drinking so much. And start losing some weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pollyanna posted:

...I should probably stop drinking so much. And start losing some weight.

How far are you from your job?

Because ride a bike