Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

g0lbez posted:

Kai has better animation, a better script, the voice actor's are all very familiar and comfortable with their roles, there's no wAcKy anime hijinks filler and Faulconer (as much as I love some of his tracks) isn't making GBS threads on every scene 24/7. Why do people still recommend anything else

Saiyaman Arc is better in the original dub. Kai dub isn't as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Which ever version has Garlic Jr and Pikkon is superior

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can't believe you people keep talking about dubs but don't mention the only good English dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tum1P5jm_so

How did you link the wrong dub?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uInzbCBRvnw

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

hot take: there's a million versions of dragon ball around at this point, just watch/read whatever version you enjoy

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DBZ is borderline unwatchable just for the sheer amount of time it takes for anything to happen.

A big a fan as I am of the Faulconer score nothing warrants the 106 hours it would take to watch the whole thing, especially when you consider how much of it is people making prolonged shocked grunts for fifteen seconds at a time and flashbacks to things which happened four episodes ago

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah you can like whatever you like but recommending the old Z to someone just watching it is a terrible idea.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I've rewatched the entirety of dragon ball all the way through Z a couple years back. It's fine to watch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

reignofevil posted:

I've rewatched the entirety of dragon ball all the way through Z a couple years back. It's fine to watch.

Im so sorry.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Controversial opinion - if you read the manga you don’t necessarily need to watch the anime. The manga is paced a lot better and Toriyama is very good at drawing action. I believe Super takes the manga as canon, too.

That being said I grew up with the manga rather than the anime so maybe I’m biased (they got the volumes at my library, and I borrowed them all because I was a massively nerdy kid.)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if you want the true OG DBZ experience then you need to go back and watch from the very beginning again every 15th episode you reach

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
For at least 10 years to boot and you have to do it when Goku lands on Namek.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

super takes the anime as canon but it doesn't really matter. the manga is better in a lot of ways for sure tho

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Zinkraptor posted:

Controversial opinion - if you read the manga you don’t necessarily need to watch the anime. The manga is paced a lot better and Toriyama is very good at drawing action. I believe Super takes the manga as canon, too.

That being said I grew up with the manga rather than the anime so maybe I’m biased (they got the volumes at my library, and I borrowed them all because I was a massively nerdy kid.)

I think the consensus is that the Super anime is canon as opposed to the manga. Less/nonexistent supervision by Toriyama for the manga than the show.

Everybody will find their version of dragonball that works best for them. I'm generally a manga purist but my version of the show is uncut Japanese, skip filler (except for the driving episode). Some people like the dubs. Some people like Kai. If you're new to it just try something different if something isn't clicking with you. There's enough variation out there that you'll find a version you like best if you enjoy the content.

I hope we get the rest of the full color manga in the US eventually. Would really love to read that.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I think the consensus is that the Super anime is canon as opposed to the manga. Less/nonexistent supervision by Toriyama for the manga than the show.

Oh, sorry, I meant that Super takes the DBZ manga as canon, not that the Super manga is canon. The anime is way better than the manga for Super.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Skip that z bullshit and go straight to the grand tour (grand tour)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The canon timeline is the Xenoverse timeline, where any and all conflicts are resolved by my OC WeedLordBonerHitler.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Everybody will find their version of dragonball that works best for them. I'm generally a manga purist but my version of the show is uncut Japanese, skip filler (except for the driving episode). Some people like the dubs. Some people like Kai. If you're new to it just try something different if something isn't clicking with you. There's enough variation out there that you'll find a version you like best if you enjoy the content.

I hope we get the rest of the full color manga in the US eventually. Would really love to read that.

Agree 100% with all of this with the caveat that the Latin American voices are pretty awesome too. I love Granny Goku. It’s jarring at first, but now I really love her performance, Adult Gohan notwithstanding.

I also really enjoy the original soundtrack they defaulted to for Kai. Those trumpets. :allears:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zinkraptor posted:

Oh, sorry, I meant that Super takes the DBZ manga as canon, not that the Super manga is canon. The anime is way better than the manga for Super.

it takes the dbz anime as canon

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

the proper way to experience dbz is whichever way you feel like tbh

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's the difference between the Z manga and anime that would necessitate different canons?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Calaveron posted:

What's the difference between the Z manga and anime that would necessitate different canons?

Gregory and Bulma as a frog.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC the Tuffle backstory only exists in the Z anime as well, which is what GT is building off of with Baby and so forth.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Raxivace posted:

IIRC the Tuffle backstory only exists in the Z anime as well, which is what GT is building off of with Baby and so forth.

Isn't one of the participants in the ToP a Tuffle?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Isn't one of the participants in the ToP a Tuffle?

I don't think so? There was a guy from Yadrat where Goku learned Instant Transmission.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/GovetaXV/status/1025411187197050880

New Leaf posted:

I don't think so? There was a guy from Yadrat where Goku learned Instant Transmission.

Supposedly, is this guy

https://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Zarbuto

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah they mentioned he was a tuffle in a magazine or something.

It never really came up and U2 clearly doesn't have Saiyans so I dunno why he is, but he is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

U2 was just the non-canon area, with a Tuffle, General Rilldo and Hatchiyack, plus an anime-design Yardrat (Toriyama's Online design was very different). I'm surprised we didn't get any hairy Saiyans from it, but those seemingly exist in U6 and 7 only.

Also movie villain gets a lot of shilling is nothing new. Broly does is even less. This kind of article is hardly surprising.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blaze Dragon posted:

U2 was just the non-canon area, with a Tuffle, General Rilldo and Hatchiyack, plus an anime-design Yardrat (Toriyama's Online design was very different). I'm surprised we didn't get any hairy Saiyans from it, but those seemingly exist in U6 and 7 only.

Also movie villain gets a lot of shilling is nothing new. Broly does is even less. This kind of article is hardly surprising.

And Ribrianne was a Para-para brother (sister).

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Well yeah of course you can watch whichever dbz version you find most enjoyable but the discussion was on which one is the best to recommend to a newcomer and there's really just too much filler in the original series to commit that many hours to.

So I mean unless anime filler is your thing (which if it is then fair enough) I just wouldn't recommend the original dub to anybody who hasn't seen the show before

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah The original DBZ is very nostalgia based you kind of need that to enjoy it.

I still enjoy watching old DBZ sometimes but new fans will hate it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rudoku posted:

Gregory and Bulma as a frog.

ya super references some anime filler occasionally. it's nothing big like garlic jr joining the main cast, but it's there

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
LOL that people would recommend the original over Kai because it has more memes. Chargin' muh lazor, am I right people? That is some fresh content.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

HitTheTargets posted:

LOL that people would recommend the original over Kai because it has more memes. Chargin' muh lazor, am I right people? That is some fresh content.

No one knows what that is, grandpa. But I agree otherwise.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

So now the old show that literally got all of you invested is now garbage all so that people can jack off to what is "cannon" or not like it matters in 2018.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pretty sure super references some filler that got cut out of kai, so it has nothing to do with what's canon. like the old show more if you want, I don't care, but the voice acting and pacing are objectively better in kai. it's a better show

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll start the series as soon as Amazon deigns to deliver the copy of Dead Zone I ordered, so I'll let you guys know if Dragon Ball Z is poo poo or not

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RBX posted:

So now the old show that literally got all of you invested is now garbage all so that people can jack off to what is "cannon" or not like it matters in 2018.

It’s nothing to do with canon. The original Z was always a super flawed show. This isn’t a new or hot take.

I mean flawed outside of Toryiamas writing which no show is gonna fix outside rewrites.

You can like something and admit it has issues.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
As a Mexican guy, the original Z is the only real way to see Dragon Ball thanks to its legendary dub.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Why are you saying to me, I critique everything equally, I see others always ignoring any criticism of stuff they like. Both have flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

As a Mexican guy, the original Z is the only real way to see Dragon Ball thanks to its legendary dub.

Carlos Segundo's Piccolo is loving legendary