Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm hoping I recorded Izanagi's dialogue, otherwise I have to go looking for him and have no idea where he was.

Procrastine posted:

Have you found anywhere where there should be a door but there isn't?

I think I get it but I need the right mantra combination.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Zereth posted:

what is this and how would it help because I did a lot of the place without whatever that thing is

It's at the end of Heaven's Labyrinth and it lets you kill blue skeletons

e: also I did that area late and the more skulls you have the more enemies there are

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

what is this and how would it help because I did a lot of the place without whatever that thing is

It lets you kill the blue skeletons and you get it from killing Griffon miniboss at Heaven's Labyrinth

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
to get to underworld use some mantras on the blockage in the corridor of blood

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

I think I get it but I need the right mantra combination.

Izanagi outright tells you when he tells you about blocking the entrance, it's basically: "Went to the Underworld to see my dead wife. She's still dead. I was scared and sealed off one of the entrances. To break the seal, chant the words of my mantras: Sun, moon, and Sea. But wait, if you want to do this, find the mirror. Made of polished bronze and infused with prayer, lies the power to illuminate the true path. It shows the gate that leaves the underworld"

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

Izanagi outright tells you when he tells you about blocking the entrance, it's basically: "Went to the Underworld to see my dead wife. She's still dead. I was scared and sealed off one of the entrances. To break the seal, chant the words of my mantras: Sun, moon, and Sea.
Wait, if you want to do this, find the mirror.
Made of polished bronze and infused with prayer, lies the power to illuminate the true path.
It shows the gate that leaves the underworld"

Yep, luckily I _did_ have his dialogue recorded so I was able to find it.

I will probably return here a bit later since I don't have the mirror

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Yep, luckily I _did_ have his dialogue recorded so I was able to find it.

I will probably return here a bit later since I don't have the mirror

Fobos has an idea where the mirror went since last game, I believe

E: I've seen a lot of people with Death Village early in the game, but I've beaten all guardians and I still don't have it. What area should I be searching?

Procrastine fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 4, 2018

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Can someone give me a vague hint about where I can find the fourth seal?

Also, am I supposed to be able to do the Underworld seven doors with only blood corridor access, or do I need the proper front door access?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Procrastine posted:

Fobos has an idea where the mirror went since last game, I believe

E: I've seen a lot of people with Death Village early in the game, but I've beaten all guardians and I still don't have it. What area should I be searching?

It must be a pickup or store item since I have it, but I don't know what it does.

Regarding the first part, this room has been bugging me the whole game, maybe it's this?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Also, what's the damage increase app combo? I've tried the combos Death Village + Lonely House, Rose and Camelia + Lonely House, Rose and Camelia + Mekiru Master, but my chain whip still only does 4 damage, same as without any apps

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

ymgve posted:

Can someone give me a vague hint about where I can find the fourth seal?

Also, am I supposed to be able to do the Underworld seven doors with only blood corridor access, or do I need the proper front door access?

It's in the underworld, you need the proper front door, you also need to deal with the statue in the starting area

ymgve posted:

Also, what's the damage increase app combo? I've tried the combos Death Village + Lonely House, Rose and Camelia + Lonely House, Rose and Camelia + Mekiru Master, but my chain whip still only does 4 damage, same as without any apps

There's one combo for whip power which requires software you don't have, and one combo for all other weapons, which you have.

TeaJay posted:

It must be a pickup or store item since I have it, but I don't know what it does.

Regarding the first part, this room has been bugging me the whole game, maybe it's this?

That's a glossary entry. Jump through the wall next to the ladder one screen to the left, it's a La-Mulana 1 reference

Procrastine fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 4, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Found the "Certain Sexy Lady" that Xelpud was speaking of.

Bomb the wall in the lower right of This room to get the La-Mulana software.

Now I just need the La Mulana 2 software, and I've got them all.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 4, 2018

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Procrastine posted:

It's in the underworld, you need the proper front door, you also need to deal with the statue in the starting area

But someone said they attacked Surtr with the third tier whip, which requires four seals, but I thought you needed to defeat Surtr to access the underworld proper?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

ymgve posted:

But someone said they attacked Surtr with the third tier whip, which requires four seals, but I thought you needed to defeat Surtr to access the underworld proper?

Sorry, I meant The fourth seal is in the underworld. Separately, the seven gate puzzle requires the proper entrance and dealing with the statue.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Scalding Coffee posted:

This puts a capstone on my day. Also cheesed the tiny bird fight. Both of them provided a disappointing reward. No closer to finding a third guardian or Japan.

La Mulana 2: No closer to finding Japan

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Procrastine posted:

I've defeated all nine guardians and now I'm stuck. Anyone have hints for any of:

Puzzles:
Opening Sakit's tomb
Making Fefnir vulnerable
The tentacle gate in the spiral boat (I think I need to get the giant's dissonance and finish the red star first)
Where to chant for any prophecy besides the second one (third seems to be at the spiral boat after finishing the red star)

Software:
The location of La-Mulana 2 beyond "dark wall"
The location of Death Village beyond "fake block"

Item uses:
What Soma is for
What the Giant's Flute is for

Updated for new knowledge

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Procrastine posted:

Sorry, I meant The fourth seal is in the underworld. Separately, the seven gate puzzle requires the proper entrance and dealing with the statue.

Do I have to fight the doppelganger to get it? Apart from that, I've thoroughly searched the Gloom side with no sign of the seal. And on the Doom side I can't get further because two giant hands are crushing me, and if I don't get crushed, the gate next to them will instakill me.

Also, for the Brahma puzzle, do I need certain items? I can't do anything there apart from dropping skull balls and rotating the face, but the hint says to place something related to each age on the pedestals.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

ymgve posted:

Do I have to fight the doppelganger to get it? Apart from that, I've thoroughly searched the Gloom side with no sign of the seal. And on the Doom side I can't get further because two giant hands are crushing me, and if I don't get crushed, the gate next to them will instakill me.

Also, for the Brahma puzzle, do I need certain items? I can't do anything there apart from dropping skull balls and rotating the face, but the hint says to place something related to each age on the pedestals.

Yeah, it's from the doppelganger.

I haven't solved this fully myself, but if the five eyes above aren't glowing, you have more to do elsewhere.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think I probably am misunderstanding what I'm trying to do on my first trip to the Underworld.

I thought I needed to solve the 7 gate puzzle to get the shining scythe. But I'm making no progress there and can't find anything else productive. I found the first gate, but the second one is back on the side I started in and I can't figure out how to get back there. Can anyone give me a pointer to what my goal is and where I should be looking?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I think I probably am misunderstanding what I'm trying to do on my first trip to the Underworld.

I thought I needed to solve the 7 gate puzzle to get the shining scythe. But I'm making no progress there and can't find anything else productive. I found the first gate, but the second one is back on the side I started in and I can't figure out how to get back there. Can anyone give me a pointer to what my goal is and where I should be looking?

Find Anubis.

He's behind a breakable wall in the Yuga room.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Procrastine posted:

Yeah, it's from the doppelganger.

I assume you need to fill the chalice in your inventory from the big rear end one to survive the fight? But seems like I need a ton more mantra words to fill the chalice. Or am I thinking in the wrong direction?

Also, is there any indication to where key fairies can be used? I don't feel like scouring every area of the world while constantly resummoning fairies.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Procrastine posted:

Updated for new knowledge

Sakit: You have to call Sakit's symbol where he can hear you.
Fefnir: Do you remember any other bosses that were immune to damage at first?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

ymgve posted:

I assume you need to fill the chalice in your inventory from the big rear end one to survive the fight? But seems like I need a ton more mantra words to fill the chalice. Or am I thinking in the wrong direction?

Also, is there any indication to where key fairies can be used? I don't feel like scouring every area of the world while constantly resummoning fairies.

Wrong direction, there's a hint from an NPC in Takamagahara Shrine.

Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't. Have fun with that. Places I've used key fairies:

Dragon Path in Takamagahara Shrine
Road of Destruction in Eternal Prison

Key fairies also point out bombable walls and unlike the first game, bombable walls have no reaction to being hit with other weapons.
Places I know of to bomb:

Gnipahellir in Eternal Prison
Altar of Atum in Dark Lord's Mausoleum

Normally I'd give more subtle hints but key fairies are a bad mechanic and anything I can do to help people avoid running all over the map with them is good

Procrastine fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 4, 2018

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ymgve posted:

First question: No. Someone in the world can tell you about the demon that takes on people's form and what their weakness might be. Further hint: That person lives in Taka Shrine.

Second question: Usually there are tablets pointing towards where key fairies are needed. They'll mention keys, and key fairies are the only real key in this game.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Procrastine posted:

If I was insane enough to do the "no subweapons during bosses" achievement, how would I even do Hel's first form?

E: Weapon fairy I guess? Also, wow, weapon fairy shreds Echidna in no time at all

You can leave the Underworld once you read the grail tablet next to Hel but before fighting her by backtracking to the false gate two rooms previous. Then when you warp back you'll have all your items and can double jump hit her to start the fight.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ojetor posted:

You can leave the Underworld once you read the grail tablet next to Hel but before fighting her by backtracking to the false gate two rooms previous. Then when you warp back you'll have all your items and can double jump hit her to start the fight.

You can also just talk to her and tell her you're there to kick her rear end.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

So through some logic and some trial and error, I solved the Brahma puzzle. Now my question is, what was the logic behind the solution?

Chaos + Ameno = Padma Lotus, Chaos sure I guess, though it says "not grace [...] chaos", but why Ameno?

Abzu + Ymir = Vedas Texts, Abzu is associated with water, Ymir with death, makes sense.

Chaos + Atum = Kamandalu Water Pot, Chaos makes sense and battle is mentioned in Atum's tablet, makes sense.

Ameno + Atum = Mala Prayer Beads, Atum talks about battle, but why Ameno?

Relevant tablets:

The Padma Lotus begets blessing.
But blessings will not grace those for whom life is tangled with chaos.

The Vedas Texts constitute a belief system.
One belief is that when we reach death, we will return to water.

The Kamandalu Water Pot is tolerance.
It is the vessel which will tolerate any battle that provokes chaos.

There are as many Mala Prayer Beads as worldly desires.
The beads weave together those whose desires drive them to fight tirelessly.
Even after their lives are exhausted.

Brahma asked Chaos, "What is creation?" Chaos responded only by existing.
"Creation is simply floating in the purple darkness."

Brahma asked Abzu, "What is creation?" Abzu was begotten of pure waters, so
he answered that undefiled, clear waters are creation.

Brahma asked Amenomikanushi, "What is creation?" Ameterasu illuminated all
with a red light. The lives born from that are creation.

Brahma asked Atum, "What is creation?" Atum answered by assuming the form
of a green snake, before leaving for battle. "Creation is fighting to protect."

Brahma asked Odin, "What is creation?" Odin responded that all was birthed
from the remains of the primeval giant Ymir: "The glimmer of that which is birthed
from death is creation."

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

^^^^^
It's all related to the gods responses to Brahma. Amenominakanushi gives off red light and says "lives born from that are creation" Ergo, red light = life. Chaos is purple.

Padma Lotus is: "life tangled with chaos". i.e. red + purple.

The same logic applies to all others.

Broken Cog posted:

You can also just talk to her and tell her you're there to kick her rear end.

That's necessary, but it only gets her to summon the ankh. The problem is that once the fight start Hel does nothing but stay sitting on her throne, the platforms only start rising once you hit her a few times and she stands up and starts attacking. You can't reach her face without either double jump or using subweapons, so for the no-subweapons achievement you have to reset your items.

That said I hadn't considered that with how strong weapon fairies are this time around you can probably cheese out that achievement very easily.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It happened again.

I couldn't damage race the fox, so I brought the fighter fairy to help. After a couple of hits, the boss fucks off without dropping any money or soul, the chest opens, and the doors stay closed while the spiked ceiling continues to come down until it crushes me. If I warp out and go back in, the ceiling is still on the floor and the doors are initially open but as soon as you approach the right wall they slam shut like they do when the boss appears. Nothing happens afterwards and I have to warp out again. Is this intended or am I hosed?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Ojetor posted:

^^^^^
It's all related to the gods responses to Brahma. Amenominakanushi gives off red light and says "lives born from that creation" Ergo, red light = life. Chaos is purple.

Padma Lotus is: "life tangled with chaos". i.e. red + purple.

The same logic applies to all others.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Is there a wheel with the beads anywhere, or is it missing as a weird roundabout hint that the wheels themselves are irrelevant?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Where do I need to go to get to the Gate of the Dead? Got a bunch of areas unlocked and explored but must be missing something obvious.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
In Valhalla, how do I access the giant statue with four seals? It seems like I have to cling to the wall as I fall down the trapdoor, but that seems impossible to do.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Cicadas! posted:

It happened again.

I couldn't damage race the fox, so I brought the fighter fairy to help. After a couple of hits, the boss fucks off without dropping any money or soul, the chest opens, and the doors stay closed while the spiked ceiling continues to come down until it crushes me. If I warp out and go back in, the ceiling is still on the floor and the doors are initially open but as soon as you approach the right wall they slam shut like they do when the boss appears. Nothing happens afterwards and I have to warp out again. Is this intended or am I hosed?

If you saved, you might be permanently hosed, yeah. If you redo the fight, go in far enough for the ceiling to start but not the battle, then wait it out in the entrance. The fight's trivial without the time limit.

Sivek posted:

Where do I need to go to get to the Gate of the Dead? Got a bunch of areas unlocked and explored but must be missing something obvious.

It's near Mulbruk's tent.

ymgve posted:

In Valhalla, how do I access the giant statue with four seals? It seems like I have to cling to the wall as I fall down the trapdoor, but that seems impossible to do.

You need the ability to walk through the laser without dying.

E: I may be misremembering the room layout

Procrastine fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 4, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cicadas! posted:

It happened again.

Yeah, fighter fairies and Mjolnir both break that fight due to them hitting the chest and "ending" the fight that way or something, you have to do it on your own.
I've seen others with the issue, so hopefully it's fixed soon.

ymgve posted:

Activate the trapdoor by quickly jumping on it, then jump down the hole so you have air control, then use the wall to boost yourself over.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Procrastine posted:

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Is there a wheel with the beads anywhere, or is it missing as a weird roundabout hint that the wheels themselves are irrelevant?

They're not exactly useless. They're meant to link each of the four ages to one symbol. Each wheel represents a different age which is associated with a different metal, and they won't spike you if you trigger them while that metal is showing.

For example the wheel in Divine Fortress is the wheel with the lotus. To figure out which age it corresponds to you can drop a weight while different metals are on the bottom, and you figure out that if you drop a weight on it while the golden part is on the bottom the spikes won't appear until the wheel turns enough to hit another metal. That's how you're supposed to figure out the Lotus is associated with the golden age and know which pedestal you should use and what face of the machine needs to be showing.

However, since you can brute force the puzzle with no penalty they're kinda useless. If it was like the Flail Whip puzzle in the LM1 where getting it wrong means you're screwed forever they would be more relevant. Though you still could just save scum for the answer, so I guess it's fine it doesn't lock you out.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Sakit: You have to call Sakit's symbol where he can hear you.
Fefnir: Do you remember any other bosses that were immune to damage at first?

Sakit: I think I need another hint.
Fefnir: Is there an easier way to do this than jump in, attack once, double jump out? Subweapons don't work, weapon fairy doesn't work. At least him closing his mouth on you isn't instant death.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, fighter fairies and Mjolnir both break that fight due to them hitting the chest and "ending" the fight that way or something, you have to do it on your own.

Activate the trapdoor by quickly jumping on it, then jump down the hole so you have air control, then use the wall to boost yourself over.

Do I need a special item or something? The instant the trapdoor opens, I'm locked into falling, I don't have time to jump away

edit: nvm, got it

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Ojetor posted:

They're not exactly useless. They're meant to link each of the four ages to one symbol. Each wheel represents a different age which is associated with a different metal, and they won't spike you if you trigger them while that metal is showing.

For example the wheel in Divine Fortress is the wheel with the lotus. To figure out which age it corresponds to you can drop a weight while different metals are on the bottom, and you figure out that if you drop a weight on it while the golden part is on the bottom the spikes won't appear until the wheel turns enough to hit another metal. That's how you're supposed to figure out the Lotus is associated with the golden age and know which pedestal you should use and what face of the machine needs to be showing.

Easier method for that:
Takamagahara Shrine - Divine Path Room (1st Child Anunnaki):
Satya Yuga is the gold age.
When all virtue is overflowing.
Dark Lord's Mausoleum - Celestial Body Room (1st Child Anunnaki):
Treta Yuga, the age of silver.
When virtue declined and people came to lean on ceremony.
Heaven's Labyrinth - Temple of Chaos (1st Child Anunnaki):
Dvapara Yuga, the age of copper.
When disaster was wrought from virtue and sin in balance.
Hall of Malice - Sphinx's Room (1st Child Anunnaki):
The Kali Yuga is the age of steel now blunted.
The age where virtue disappeared, replaced by conflict and despair.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Procrastine posted:

Sakit: I think I need another hint.
Fefnir: Is there an easier way to do this than jump in, attack once, double jump out? Subweapons don't work, weapon fairy doesn't work. At least him closing his mouth on you isn't instant death.

Sakit's symbol is Moon

Not that I know of. I just brought a healing fairy with me and brute forced it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Procrastine posted:

If you saved, you might be permanently hosed, yeah. If you redo the fight, go in far enough for the ceiling to start but not the battle, then wait it out in the entrance. The fight's trivial without the time limit.

Broken Cog posted:

Thankfully I have a backup save so I'm not too screwed. That's kind of an awful bug, though.
Thanks for the tip about cheesing the ceiling.