Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

movax posted:

with GE.
uh oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Get the mobile passport app. You still have to wait in line at the final customs check, but you get to bypass all the confused old people trying to figure out the passport scanner kiosks.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Space Gopher posted:

Get the mobile passport app. You still have to wait in line at the final customs check, but you get to bypass all the confused old people trying to figure out the passport scanner kiosks.

Rad, thanks!

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Anyone in here savvy with the changes that are coming with the upcoming Marriott/SPG merger? My Marriott lifetime is at 540 nights and 742,480 points and I'm currently gold elite. Will I get grandfathered into lifetime platinum elite based on nights or do I also need to have the minimum points?

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
You’ll need the 1.6 million lifetime points if you’re trying to get it with the old criteria.

The good news is you might already be eligible for lifetime gold in the new program if you have enough years of status.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Looking for advice on how to get an employer to reimburse expenses in a timely fashion, I can't seem to find a legal basis for this:

Wife travels constantly for work and is not issued a company credit card (which is ludicrous given the org and her title but that's another fight), so she's basically paying out of pocket for thousands of dollars of expenses every month. She submits reimbursement reports accurately and on time and they just sit in queue waiting to be review for, at times, up to 3 months.

I'm dipping heavily into savings to make our cashflow work out so that we never incur interest charges. This is loving infuriating, again given the size of the org and her position.

Can I start billing them interest? should I mock up a quick invoice for each month's expenses in arrears based on the rate I WOULD pay on the credit card, were I not able to float them the loan every month?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Looking for advice on how to get an employer to reimburse expenses in a timely fashion, I can't seem to find a legal basis for this:

Wife travels constantly for work and is not issued a company credit card (which is ludicrous given the org and her title but that's another fight), so she's basically paying out of pocket for thousands of dollars of expenses every month. She submits reimbursement reports accurately and on time and they just sit in queue waiting to be review for, at times, up to 3 months.

I'm dipping heavily into savings to make our cashflow work out so that we never incur interest charges. This is loving infuriating, again given the size of the org and her position.

Can I start billing them interest? should I mock up a quick invoice for each month's expenses in arrears based on the rate I WOULD pay on the credit card, were I not able to float them the loan every month?

put all the expenses on a dedicated, 'business card' and bill them interest, yeah

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

put all the expenses on a dedicated, 'business card' and bill them interest, yeah

Yeah that won’t get caught up in an even worse approval process.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Tell her to find an equivalent job at another company that's not lovely. One of the first things I was told by co-workers and friends in my business was "don't work for anyone that won't give you a corporate card" and despite how much I could profit on my own cards, it's not worth it putting everything on my own cards.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Cacafuego posted:

Tell her to find an equivalent job at another company that's not lovely. One of the first things I was told by co-workers and friends in my business was "don't work for anyone that won't give you a corporate card" and despite how much I could profit on my own cards, it's not worth it putting everything on my own cards.

I worked for a smaller company that didn't issue corporate cards, however their expense turnaround was incredibly quick; I'd often have funds hitting my bank 3 days after submitting the report. Situations like that are great because you can use your own high-rewards cards and rack up serious points. I got a lot of travel out of that.

I am at a much larger company now (that bought the smaller one) and have a corporate card, in fact I am mandated to use it and have to fill out another form if I use my personal card. Which is fairly standard.

No corporate card + up to 3 month wait for reimbursement though...that's just lovely. That's transferring their cashflow problems to employees.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Initio posted:

You’ll need the 1.6 million lifetime points if you’re trying to get it with the old criteria.

The good news is you might already be eligible for lifetime gold in the new program if you have enough years of status.

Yikes! Thanks, I obviously will not hit those points by year's end, even though I am switching over to an Autograph Collection hotel. I'll get gold on years then, at least.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

so who else got hosed by those northeast storms? i decided to go down to new york for the weekend instead of taking my trip home to pittsburgh. i was supposed to be home friday night at 11 and i’m seeing that my flight *still* hasn’t made it. supposed to have left this morning at 8 am and it’s been pushed back every hour all day

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don’t know about everyone else but if I was able to put expenses on my own personal card I’d easily make over a grand and likely much more.

My previous supervisor did this, he owned a third of the company and put everything on his personal cards. All of his exotic golf trips were entirely free.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

nikosoft posted:

Anyone in here savvy with the changes that are coming with the upcoming Marriott/SPG merger? My Marriott lifetime is at 540 nights and 742,480 points and I'm currently gold elite. Will I get grandfathered into lifetime platinum elite based on nights or do I also need to have the minimum points?

I’m incredibly disappointed with the merger. Marriotts rewards aren’t that great but they have so many hotels.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

sellouts posted:

Yeah that won’t get caught up in an even worse approval process.

If they're so lovely that they won't pay within the on average ~55 day interest free window then gently caress them. They should be paying the interest.

I'd keep it all to a separate card though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

I don’t know about everyone else but if I was able to put expenses on my own personal card I’d easily make over a grand and likely much more.

My previous supervisor did this, he owned a third of the company and put everything on his personal cards. All of his exotic golf trips were entirely free.

Yeah I’ve been to the Maldives 3 times on this in some capacity. Totally worth the hassle.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Fists Up posted:

If they're so lovely that they won't pay within the on average ~55 day interest free window then gently caress them. They should be paying the interest.

I'd keep it all to a separate card though.

They shoudl be, butt unless you have it in a contract they aren't obligated to and chances are pretty high the employee handbook or equivalent states that the person is responsible for any interest or late fees.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I found two AA business sAAver seats on the outbound leg to NRT, but all of the return legs are AAnytime only so they're expensive as hell. I'm wondering if it would be better to book two one way tickets - one using miles for the outbound leg and then using credit card points to book the second leg as a revenue ticket and then burning two SWUs instead of using four SWUs on normal round-trip revenue ticket.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Burn SWUs if you won’t use them otherwise because Saaver availability usually means they’ll clear at booking.

Otherwise take the guaranteed seats with miles and save swu for when you need to clear at the gate.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
thanks for the earnest replies to my question. in short:

lol great "get a new job" that strategy bears so much fruit these days

we already track expenses on a dedicated card, makes it way easier

the legal framework doesn't exist to charge the company interest and yeah lol it'd get flagged and doubled down on for additional review. asur is correct there's no contractual obligation that they even pay expenses which is double lovely

it's 100% down to her boss not approving poo poo in a timely fashion so we're discussing literal work stoppage-level tactics to get his rear end in gear

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it's 100% down to her boss not approving poo poo in a timely fashion so we're discussing literal work stoppage-level tactics to get his rear end in gear

At my last job a guy was running into this problem so he stopped submitting his timesheets containing his billable hours at the end of the quarter while emailing essentially everyone above him that they weren't getting it until they reimbursed his expenses. If I recall correctly that got them to finally hustle.

They could also decide to fire her so ymmv

I dunno what you want us to tell you

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
We good I'm half venting at this point, I appreciate the experiences that have been posted

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

We good I'm half venting at this point, I appreciate the experiences that have been posted

I realize she may be stuck in a lovely situation, but her employer is bad and she should consider finding one to work for that is not actively loving you both. I’m not flippantly suggesting that she look for a new job. Assuming she’s skilled/educated enough to have gotten a job where she travels, she should at least be looking for a new job, especially in this economy. I would in her situation.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

sellouts posted:

Burn SWUs if you won’t use them otherwise because Saaver availability usually means they’ll clear at booking.

Otherwise take the guaranteed seats with miles and save swu for when you need to clear at the gate.

I ended up booking with miles on JAL through American. 80k miles per person one way for first class, which is only 20k more than booking business with American.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the legal framework doesn't exist to charge the company interest and yeah lol it'd get flagged and doubled down on for additional review. asur is correct there's no contractual obligation that they even pay expenses which is double lovely

If she goes on trips.constantly, she could just refuse to go on the next one until the previous one is paid under the pretext that she can't afford to pay for it.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

psydude posted:

I ended up booking with miles on JAL through American. 80k miles per person one way for first class, which is only 20k more than booking business with American.

You can drink the difference in miles in Hibiki / champagne while on the ground if you hustle enough. The business class champagne on JAL is Delmotte too.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Quit your whining, you understand it's a lovely situation, do what you have to do.

By the way, it's the hottest labor market in a generation, so if you can't get a new job you're either grossly unqualified for the one you have now or you're too obstinate to look.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

One of the first things I was told by co-workers and friends in my business was "don't work for anyone that won't give you a corporate card" and despite how much I could profit on my own cards, it's not worth it putting everything on my own cards.
I completely disagree, but I guess I'm lucky that I have a really good reimbursement policy. My expenses are usually direct deposited into my bank account 3-5 days after submission and approval. Using my own card to rack up points and miles has been a HUGE benefit that I will certainly miss in the future if I ever get off the road.

Sidenote: United hosed me on my trip to Bangalore and I got rerouted on Delta and Jet Airways. Not impressed with Jet Airways and the a330 I flew from AMS to BLR. It was better than the Air France a330 I took last year, but not nearly as nice as Delta's a330 that I was on from DTW to AMS. I'm hoping my return on Lufthansa is still OK so I can get a few more 747 flights in.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 7, 2018

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

There were crazy storms all over the country today wreaking havoc and my last leg (PHL-PVD) flew at 7000 feet. Really weird being so close to the ground the entire way.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

DJCobol posted:

I completely disagree, but I guess I'm lucky that I have a really good reimbursement policy. My expenses are usually direct deposited into my bank account 3-5 days after submission and approval. Using my own card to rack up points and miles has been a HUGE benefit that I will certainly miss in the future if I ever get off the road.

Well, sure, if your company has a good reimbursement policy and will allow you to do that, by all means, that's certainly the best. In fact, I'd do that if I could. I'd guess most places either won't let you do that, or take forever to reimburse though.

taco show posted:

There were crazy storms all over the country today wreaking havoc and my last leg (PHL-PVD) flew at 7000 feet. Really weird being so close to the ground the entire way.

Did you get to buzz Block Island really low? I like the PHL-PVD route. Despite having no options for eating in the terminal, PVD is a pretty good airport. They sell local beers in the gift shops there. I'd prefer PVD to BOS for most flights.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

More Than Cutting Costs: Travel Managers Now Consider Employee Comfort

The New York Times posted:

Corporate managers used to focus on one thing when it came to employee travel: saving money.

But now, given the nature of travel — crowded planes, tighter seats, security hassles — corporate managers are considering employee comfort as part of the deal.

A plane trip that includes layovers might save money, said Andrew Sheivachman, business travel editor at Skift, a travel industry news and research site. “But if that person emerges from the plane too tired to work, or ends up burned out on corporate travel, it’s not worth the trade-off.”

I don't know about the the rest of you but as someone who's almost on a plane every other week if I'm thrown into dingy hotels, shoved in the back of the plane, forced to uber and fed scraps I'll immediately send out my resume and go to greener pastures. I know it's 2017 but meeting customers in person still hasn't come close to conference call bingo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My boss asked if I could go to South Africa again. I told him sure - if they flew me Business. The customer didn't want to pay for that so they're on their own. :feelsgood:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Rumor has it that a major e-commerce firm in Seattle has rigged their travel policies so that flights from SEA to most places in Asia fall short of the business class requires threshold.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Rumor has it that a major e-commerce firm in Seattle has rigged their travel policies so that flights from SEA to most places in Asia fall short of the business class requires threshold.

Mine (not in Seattle) are fairly straightforward: Under a certain rank and you are flying in the back, you filthy animal, even if you circumnavigate the globe. At or over a certain rank (which is fairly senior, though not just management) it's by time, 6 hours continuous (on any segment, so they don't make you fly coach to the coast and then business over the water, for example). Low-ranked individuals can get exceptions granted to this, but it is an involved process that needs to be done each time you fly.

If you are one of the poor bastards who work for us doing billable time at any rank it's up to the client and you can probably guess what most of them request. Though some big clients mirror their own policy for consultants and allow it depending on length of trip, etc.

What this means in practice is senior sales people and management usually fly business overseas on a regular basis and for other senior people it's an occasional bonus. I'm one of the latter; I fly overseas 6-8 times a year and when I got promoted I thought this perk was better than the raise, which shows you how Stockholm syndrome-d I am.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

KillHour posted:

My boss asked if I could go to South Africa again. I told him sure - if they flew me Business. The customer didn't want to pay for that so they're on their own. :feelsgood:

We've adopted a policy of charging for business on any flight over 10 hours. Fortunately, most partners and customers realize that an extra $3000-$4000 really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The majorest e-commerce company in Seattle is the reason for the thread title and it was certainly not in business.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

taco show posted:

ha yeah my manager was supposed to fly home yesterday at 5:30 but then got bumped back to 10 when he got through security. i guess he got bumped again after i went to bed because i got a text from him at 4:30 am telling me he’d finally gotten home.

fuckin woof

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Glad your manager felt the need to txt you at 430a about mundane travel delays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So Avis is giving 10% back to Amazon Prime subscribers in the form of online gift cards. Anyone figure out how to get that to work? That's.. a lot of free Amazon poo poo over the course of a year of travel.

Edit: Figured it out - you have to log out of your Avis account first, then log in with Amazon, then it offers to link the accounts if you look in the tiny print. But I don't think you can combine the offer with a corporate code so it's probably against most people's travel policy. If it isn't, though, you could make out like a bandit.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 8, 2018