Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder how many VNs there are total about dating the Shinsengumi, either as a girl, a gay guy, or a straight guy and they're girls?

The answer to any question like this is always n+1

For actual content I bought Crash the other week. Man it's fun/tough.

Kinda want a non-platformer Nintendo game for afterwards, anything other than BoTW out atm that's good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of VNs I bought Higurashi on the Switch the other day. I played the original PC version waaaaaaaay back when but it sure has gained a lot since then. Among other things the tips section is all fully voiced skits and there's like a hundred of them.

edit: they should port Higurashi Daybreak just for the lols.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 5, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Steven Universe is a harem anime for people who are afraid of sex.

Steven Universe is a harem anime about what happens after the leader of the harem dies/leaves.

(It’s actually a magical girl show, except the girl is a boy).

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
Has there been news of Dragon Crown coming to Switch?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shards of Fate posted:

No, just that it’ll be the tits when it does

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Windjammers is coming to Switch though

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VotLqDrUO6U
– 5 game modes: Arcade, Infinite, Local Versus, Online Quick Match, & Ranked Match
– Online Versus: for the first time ever, face other players worldwide in ranked matches and compete in the top leagues!
– 6 unique characters with their own special skills and super throws
– 6 playable environments, from sunny beach to crowded stadium
– 2 unlockable mini-games: Dog Distance & Bowling
– New HD menus

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Junkie Disease posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VotLqDrUO6U
– 5 game modes: Arcade, Infinite, Local Versus, Online Quick Match, & Ranked Match
– Online Versus: for the first time ever, face other players worldwide in ranked matches and compete in the top leagues!
– 6 unique characters with their own special skills and super throws
– 6 playable environments, from sunny beach to crowded stadium
– 2 unlockable mini-games: Dog Distance & Bowling
– New HD menus

Hell yeah. I always wanted to try this game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shards of Fate posted:

I'd rather have Odin Sphere

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Andrast posted:

i'd rather have a deluxe edition that includes that, dragon's crown, and muramasa

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I'd rather have Vanillaware port 13 sentinels to switch and then spend resources developing new games.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Andrast posted:

I'd rather have a version of Dragon's Crown that isn't CAD $50 on the PS4...

... cause that means it'll be $60 on the Switch. :suicide:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Anybody getting Dead Cells?

I looked at some videos of the completed game and it convinced me to get it on Switch, it looks very much my type of game, reminded me a lot of Rogue Legacy but with a lot more polish and focus on the combat and less on the randomness. I'm picking it up now because it's $20 (It'll be $25 at release) and I don't want to wait for a sale in like, 6 months or something.

The switch went very rapidly from not enough indies to all of them, there are games I would have bought 12 months ago without thinking about it that I'm totally skipping for now. I feel bad for devs releasing games suddenly going up against stuff like $15 Hollow Knight

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:capitalism:

I just hope its procedural generation is better than the last crop of metroidvanias of late.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Ah cool, those were the exact solutions I suspected but I had a kink in each of them -- couldn't give the guy the gear cause I'd already beat him up and hadn't thought to reload the map; option to beat up the suitor was greyed out cause Olberic was underleveled. Thanks!

If I remember right, the one with the suitor isn't actually one you complete by beating him up, but by losing or fleeing from battle with him once you've Challenged/Provoked him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Folt The Bolt posted:

If I remember right, the one with the suitor isn't actually one you complete by beating him up, but by losing or fleeing from battle with him once you've Challenged/Provoked him.

I hate it when games do this. Going against the entire logic of how the game has taught you to play it so far, and all. One of the great things about Undertale is that it understood how people typically play games of its type, and what they would learn from playing the game a certain way, and repeatedly fucks with you and your expectations both pre-existing and learned.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Folt The Bolt posted:

That's the bad ending, the true ending is guiding his mom over to him and giving him a lesson on not being a creep and having some respect for women. :colbert:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Your Computer posted:

That's the bad ending, the true ending is guiding his mom over to him and giving him a lesson on not being a creep and having some respect for women. :colbert:

Meh. That sidequest is open-ended and the entire point of that is that the suitor is able to show the lady his worst and least attractive side (his spinelessness when someone domineers and bosses him into submission, which is what happens when you take the mother to him) or from his best and most attractive side (namely, that he can stand up for himself, show his strength, and prove that he isn't as spineless as the lady thinks he is since that's one of the core reasons why she's turned him down).

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Almighty Switch thread: I got $70 worth of eShop points for my birthday and I’m overwhelmed with all of the choices! Currently, I have:

Mario Odysessy
BOTW
Kirby
Mario Tennis Aces
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart
Golf Story
Hollow Knight
Lumines

What games would you recommend I play next? I’m interested in Octopath Traveler after trying the demo, how is the game? I’m also strangely drawn to Stardew Valley, Yoku’s Island Express and Nine Parchments. I’d love to hear your thoughts and recommendations

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Furi is a pretty fun game, but I don't know how it'll run on the Switch. Enter the Gungeon is a must. Celeste is also getting rave reviews.

As far as roguelikes/metrodvanias are concerned, you've got games like

- Dead Cells
- Dandara
- Iconoclasts

Warframe is also coming to Switch soon, and together with Fortnite, it's a pretty solid F2P game. Fortnite even has crossplay support.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there an endless game for this drat console? Like Animal Crossing is endless in that you can always gently caress around in it and still have "things to do". I'm not looking for long, I need endless.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Almighty Switch thread: I got $70 worth of eShop points for my birthday and I’m overwhelmed with all of the choices! Currently, I have:

Mario Odysessy
BOTW
Kirby
Mario Tennis Aces
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart
Golf Story
Hollow Knight
Lumines

What games would you recommend I play next? I’m interested in Octopath Traveler after trying the demo, how is the game? I’m also strangely drawn to Stardew Valley, Yoku’s Island Express and Nine Parchments. I’d love to hear your thoughts and recommendations

Currently playing a lot of Nine Parchments but I will say you should only consider it if you've got someone to coop it with (or you're happy playing online, played with randoms a few times now and it's been fine).

Gets compared to Magicka a lot if you've played that but I haven't. Good game for short bursts (as the campaign is quite long), you're playing student wizards tracking down some missing parchments hoping it means you get to graduate sooner. All the characters are meant to be really poo poo wizards and it's a great example of gameplay reflecting that. You'll get murdered by other players a lot. You'll murder other players a lot. As long as one guy is alive though you'll learn to not worry about it, resurrecting is quick and easy and the levels are split into multiple battle encounters; all health is restored between fights.

As said it's a far superior game multiplayer. Don't know if you'd enjoy it much if you only play solo. Lots of unlocks and achievements if you're that way inclined too. Main criticisms are that the gameplay isn't extremely deep (replayability comes from unlocks and also the spells you can earn are randomly selected each time) and there's no level select. I get around that by joining online games that are close to where I want to be.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Grab Octopath if you’re interested in it.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Mario Odysessy
BOTW
Kirby
Mario Tennis Aces
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart
Golf Story
Hollow Knight
Lumines

Throwing in recommendations for Steamworld Dig 2 and Shovel Knight.

Yoku's Island Express has a demo - I played it last night, and it was kind of fun but not my jam.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there an endless game for this drat console? Like Animal Crossing is endless in that you can always gently caress around in it and still have "things to do". I'm not looking for long, I need endless.

Is stardew valley endless? I've never played it.

akiyba
Jan 28, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Is stardew valley endless? I've never played it.

Yeah Stardew never ends

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the next direct doesn't mention Animal Crossing there's gonna be a riot

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Is there a machine gun power up in Hollow Knight, or should I just stop playing it?

What is the consensus on Iconoclasts?

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 5, 2018

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

bowmore posted:

Grab Octopath if you’re interested in it.

Is it worth $60?

Here’s my dilemma: should I get a full priced game like Octopath or should I stretch the dollar further and get some indies instead?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Is it worth $60?

Yes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Is it worth $60?

Here’s my dilemma: should I get a full priced game like Octopath or should I stretch the dollar further and get some indies instead?

Do you have a ton of nostalgia for snes JRPGs

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have a lot of nostalgia for Chrono Trigger and some of the earlier Final Fantasties, if that means anything

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I have a lot of nostalgia for Chrono Trigger and some of the earlier Final Fantasties, if that means anything

Then you will probably like it yeah.

Though it’s FF more than CT.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Stardew has a ‘main’ plot that ends after (I think) 3 in-game years, but it continues forever after that. You can most likely explore just about all the in game content in that timespan.

It has excellent value for the price, I double-dipped on PC and Switch.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t and Octopath is great

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Andrast posted:

I don’t and Octopath is great

You don’t need it to like it but it helps a lot. Makes it easier to ignore its flaws that are carried over from that era.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlestheHammer posted:

You don’t need it to like it but it helps a lot. Makes it easier to ignore its flaws that are carried over from that era.

I love Octopath, but not giving your reserve party members full XP and JP was a bad mistake. All it means is you're going to run a constant team of three and cycle the fourth out as-needed instead of actually mixing up your party compositions to any real degree. Especially with how widely the level requirements can vary for different stories in the same Chapter.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Minecraft.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You can literally play the first 3 hours of Octopath for free before you have to buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love Octopath, but not giving your reserve party members full XP and JP was a bad mistake. All it means is you're going to run a constant team of three and cycle the fourth out as-needed instead of actually mixing up your party compositions to any real degree. Especially with how widely the level requirements can vary for different stories in the same Chapter.

I mean you can do that, or you can use everyone equally and use all possible party combinations which is what I did.

• Locked thread