Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
No idea I chose the You need to leave my party now option which was also pretty hilarious. They even give you a JUST KIDDING bail out after that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So you can ask the dragon if it can teach you to make a phylactery, can you actually break it out and become a lich?

Also, Vatnir is the world's nicest entropy cultist.

Ended up fighting the dragon AND the beast of winter, came in at level 19, left at 20.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Does the new not-companion actually have significant stuff to say and do, then?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any new guns in the dlc?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
drat, 2.0 patch notes said Honor Among Thieves was fixed but it's pretty busted in my game still. Too bad.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
So uh, with Berath's challenge you can't leave combat with enemies... but they can't leave combat with you either.

That's pretty good if you're a Chanter that's stealthed like 2 screens away, accumulating phrases so you can send waves and waves of skeletons into a room and waste enemy spells.

e: Oh and it looks like if any AI reserve party crew are knocked unconscious during ship boarding battles... they also die unless you get them up within 6 seconds.

Scorchy fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 5, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Alright I just bought and started playing this game after spending a few months trying to slog my way through Pillars.

I am so glad I did. This game is giving me the same feeling as when I played Baldurs Gate a hundred years ago. So good.

I rolled up a human fighter/blackjack. And I have four weaponsets with dual pistols. And it actually works. I do insane damage with almost no utility sure. But when I start to reload is when I start to throw all of my loving grenades.It works! I love it!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Avalerion posted:

Does the new not-companion actually have significant stuff to say and do, then?

I picked him up on an end-game save, and while he did have a comment on me wrapping up a faction quest, he doesn't say anything in the last stretch nor get an ending slide. You do get a couple of new ending slides for the events of BoW, and I didn't try to make him stay in Harbinger's Watch, but it might be possible to get him mentioned in that one.

What does show up in the end-game stretch, however, is Waidwen's soul, if you bring it along. It's a nice little capstone on his relationship with Eothas.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

What the gently caress is going on with Xoti's highest level spells?? A lovely druid summon from 2 levels ago and 5 spells based around gods she doesn't follow..

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What the gently caress is going on with Xoti's highest level spells?? A lovely druid summon from 2 levels ago and 5 spells based around gods she doesn't follow..

I was also very confused that her best top tier spell was Fires of Magran.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ratios and Tendency posted:

:laffo: I've never looked at those before. Did she use to get Incarnate before BoW dropped? Standard priests (and Vatnir) get whatever level 9 spell is appropriate for their god (Xoti gets it at level 8 instead), and their choice of the other five and Incarnate, which summons a nasty monster based on their god. Vatnir just gets a Scourge, which is one of the DLC enemies, but Wael priests get to summon a mess of eyeballs that zips around the field and charms and debuffs enemies.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The choice of UI for Magran's Fires is bizarre and bad. A simple visual change to the start menu with absolutely no indicator that it does anything, and no words directing you to it. The cursor doesn't even change on mouse-over since it's always a hand. Two red eyes light up if you happen to mouse over it, but other games have taught me that may just be a goofy cosmetic thing with no actual effect.

Why is this huge new feature essentially hidden? Unless you're watching videos or reading patch notes it could be missed. And while the people posting here watch videos and read patch notes, I'm guessing a whole lot of people that will buy / have bought the game will never ever know this feature exists. You can't even access Magran's Fires from the "New Game" menu!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pmchem posted:

The choice of UI for Magran's Fires is bizarre and bad. A simple visual change to the start menu with absolutely no indicator that it does anything, and no words directing you to it. The cursor doesn't even change on mouse-over since it's always a hand. Two red eyes light up if you happen to mouse over it, but other games have taught me that may just be a goofy cosmetic thing with no actual effect.

Why is this huge new feature essentially hidden? Unless you're watching videos or reading patch notes it could be missed. And while the people posting here watch videos and read patch notes, I'm guessing a whole lot of people that will buy / have bought the game will never ever know this feature exists. You can't even access Magran's Fires from the "New Game" menu!

Probably to make sure only people who are ready to try it actually do so. Otherwise you'd get random new people turning it on without meaning to.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
That nvidia optimization problem is pretty bad... The game runs better on my friend's intel HD 620 than it does on his gt 1030 at the same resolution and settings. I sent him the link to the support article, hopefully it helps him.

Edit: He has the gddr5 1030.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

:laffo: I've never looked at those before. Did she use to get Incarnate before BoW dropped? Standard priests (and Vatnir) get whatever level 9 spell is appropriate for their god (Xoti gets it at level 8 instead), and their choice of the other five and Incarnate, which summons a nasty monster based on their god. Vatnir just gets a Scourge, which is one of the DLC enemies, but Wael priests get to summon a mess of eyeballs that zips around the field and charms and debuffs enemies.
I think Xoti gets her symbol like every other priest at PL 8 and being able to pick from the other PL 9 god spells is normal, but lashing vine instead of light of eothas is very bizarre. I haven't used pure class Xoti ever to check if that's been fixed but it wouldn't surprise if it hasn't even been reported. If it's intended then idk what's going on with that.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Rascyc posted:

I think Xoti gets her symbol like every other priest at PL 8 and being able to pick from the other PL 9 god spells is normal, but lashing vine instead of light of eothas is very bizarre. I haven't used pure class Xoti ever to check if that's been fixed but it wouldn't surprise if it hasn't even been reported. If it's intended then idk what's going on with that.

Xoti isn't a priest of Eothas, so it makes sense.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Probably to make sure only people who are ready to try it actually do so. Otherwise you'd get random new people turning it on without meaning to.

That’s a pretty bad way to design around that problem, vs clearly explaining what the features do. A simple button labeled “challenges” that takes you into the display would be much better. The UX for Berath’s blessings is pretty clumsy too though, so I’m not really surprised. (And the fact that you can’t make a new history during the intro, really.)

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

That’s a pretty bad way to design around that problem, vs clearly explaining what the features do. A simple button labeled “challenges” that takes you into the display would be much better. The UX for Berath’s blessings is pretty clumsy too though, so I’m not really surprised. (And the fact that you can’t make a new history during the intro, really.)

Clearly labeling things never stopped dumb people.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

It’s whimsical. It’s a secret menu. I suppose it’s possible that you could be so into the game that you are ready for the ultra hard version of it, but so anti-the internet that you’d not know about the mode. But this seems unlikely.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Unity has a hard limit of six entries on the main menu.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Maybe just put the whimsical secret menu inside the new game menu somewhere and point players toward it through the UI? It's odd to essentially have two ways to start a "new game" on the title menu, one traditional and one hidden.

I just really do think that some users will never know this feature exists, and it's such a nice feature.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I think it's okay if it's not obvious. It's the type of feature for grogs and challenge seekers, and they'll likely hear about it thru the internet or discover it with experimentation.

Beast of Winter owns. Loved the lore and the setting, the quests, the accents, the loot. The normal combat encounters are okay but the boss fights feel nice and beefy. I like Obsidian's work best when they make it weird, and it gets pretty weird here. Can't wait to see more of the content from that roadmap.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

CottonWolf posted:

Xoti isn't a priest of Eothas, so it makes sense.
She gets symbol of Eothas though. My only guess is there's some druid spells to go along with the Guan harvest theme, after all briarthorn is in there. But man that vine spell at PL 9 is definitely a waste of a slot.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Beast of Winter was great for lore nerds and further fleshing out the cultures of the White that Wends. Some new priest options are great along with new loot. My one disappointment is no new grimoires with unique spells, but the third DLC looks to be all about the archmagi, can't wait for that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

pmchem posted:

The choice of UI for Magran's Fires is bizarre and bad. A simple visual change to the start menu with absolutely no indicator that it does anything, and no words directing you to it. The cursor doesn't even change on mouse-over since it's always a hand. Two red eyes light up if you happen to mouse over it, but other games have taught me that may just be a goofy cosmetic thing with no actual effect

For the first three monthe after the game released it was just a goofy cosmetic thing with no actual effect!

Regardless, I like it being there. Gives me echoes of the olden days when rumours swirled of hidden cheat codes for Goldeneye and a secret dungeon in Zelda. "If you click the imp face on the title screen you can access Hidden Challenge Modes!" It's neat!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'm almost willing to believe this.

Rascyc posted:

She gets symbol of Eothas though. My only guess is there's some druid spells to go along with the Guan harvest theme, after all briarthorn is in there. But man that vine spell at PL 9 is definitely a waste of a slot.
She gets the vine summon? That thing is extremely situational even as a PL 7 Druid spell, and it's not like Druid PL 7 is amazing.

Actually, has anyone played a Druid and tried the Ooze summon? It looks like it should be good but Tekehu can't take it so I've never seen it in action.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

pmchem posted:

I just really do think that some users will never know this feature exists, and it's such a nice feature.
Maybe.
But I think it's a save bet that the group of players who are comfortable enough on PotD that they want to increase the difficulty further with challenge modes, and the group of players who have no interaction with the main playerbase at all and so have no means to hear about the challenge modes via word of mouth have no overlap.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Wizard Styles posted:

Actually, has anyone played a Druid and tried the Ooze summon? It looks like it should be good but Tekehu can't take it so I've never seen it in action.

It's pretty solid. It's the only summon on my Theurge i was using regularly when I was busy using my phrases for offense.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think having a super sekrit challinj mode is good and hilarious.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DLC was good but it was kind of a mistake to play things at level 20 because all combat kinda sucked. The ability to just TURBOKILL everything was just... yeah.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 5, 2018

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Beast of Winter was awesome. It was a fun little story, The Bridge Aflame was incredible, and I enjoyed the lore and setting. Vatnir owns bones too.

I ended up fighting the dragon and pledging my life to Rymrgand. Hell yeah! That's all my White That Wends Monk/Druid has ever wanted! Sounds like I could have done all kinds of other weird poo poo like release the dragon?!

I went in at level 18 on Veteran. Some of the Greater Ice Blight fights almost killed me, the Scourges coupled with Decay wardens got close, the fight in The Only Answers almost got me, and the boss I fought felt seriously meaty and dangerous. I came out at level 20 and had several close calls. I think BoW on POTD would seriously give me a run for my money.

If I had any complaints, it's about the backtracking puzzles in the Sunken Kingdom. Just a hair too slow and grinded down my playthrough for a bit. The other "side stories" were awesome though.

If anyone had any hesitation about POE2, I think the state of the game as of this first DLC is that it's just about perfect in terms of bugs and difficulty and fun. It's modular enough to have any kind of experience you want and it's a huge loving game with tons to explore. I've generally felt like I can "be my character" in most of the story and there's so many choices I'm excited for a totally different playthrough. If you're on the fence, I say take the plunge cuz the game is seriously polished right now (in my experience anyway).

If we don't get a POE3 I'm going to be seriously bummed because BoW just made me all the more fascinated by the world of Eora and it's future.

Oh and also, Beast of Winter is an obvious homage to Dark Souls, right? Main antagonist looks like the Gaping Dragon, several temples that have that streaky fossilized spikes on them like the Kiln of the First Flame, armor that looks Dark Soulsy, you even technically collect dark souls to level up that ring? Seemed like a pretty loving wink to the game, although maybe it's just a coincidence.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

mary had a little clam posted:

Oh and also, Beast of Winter is an obvious homage to Dark Souls, right? Main antagonist looks like the Gaping Dragon, several temples that have that streaky fossilized spikes on them like the Kiln of the First Flame, armor that looks Dark Soulsy, you even technically collect dark souls to level up that ring? Seemed like a pretty loving wink to the game, although maybe it's just a coincidence.

Armor looked like monster hunter armor and... have you even looked at the gaping dragon in the last 5 years? Dragon in this looks like a dragon. When I was able to look at it was amazing how simple the dragon looked.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 6, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I'm still toying around with it but I feel like there's a really neat Vatnir build using the Sun and Moon flail and the Ring of Focused Flame.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm still progressing through the DLC, but also wanted to share my favourite item in the entire game, which you can buy from the Deck Of Many Things. It's called the Necklace Of Unlocked Possibilities, and it gives you a random unique weapon every fight. All base game only (can probably mod that if it's just got a list of item IDs it chooses from) but I think it's every unique weapon in the base game. Spear-shooter crossbow one fight, prismatic quarterstaff the next. It's the coolest thing in the world.

Also, tantalising hints about the next DLC: You remember Ryona from the White March? There were a bunch of unique items belonging to her, including a soulbound armour. Well, Deadfire's data includes conversation files for a spirit called Ryona which it looks like you can recruit as a sidekick

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Is there a way to find out where an item is? I accidently sold something Ordinary Sword and can't find out what merchant has it. I think I may have sold it to a merchant that leaves during a Principi quest Seagol during the crookspur slaving one. I know what the item ID is, but can't make headway on finding where it is in the game files.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
New favorite thing:

1) find fire-vulnerable monsters in Beast of Winter

2) Aloth casts Combusting Wounds

3) Ascendant Cipher casts a high-level mind blades bouncebouncebouncebouncebounce

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I mostly have finished my PotD playthrough using https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/43?tab=description&BH=0 as the difficulty mod, normal version. It was pretty good all around. The XP nerf part of it was enough that I actually didn't cap despite doing nearly everything except for the new DLC. I think if the Furante quest or the one bounty hunter giver didn't bug out on me, I may have capped. The HP buff definitely curtailed empowered gibbing as intended, but it wasn't enough to really neuter spelldamage wizards. Battles definitely dragged on a lot though in some cases until I rotated Maia in and grabbed that shotgun, but that was only so useful against non-undead. I think if I had created a dedicated damage dealer rather than a wizard, things would've went much faster in the early and mid game. Thankfully my wizard made short work of the end game and it was mostly a steam roll after level 16 or so.

By far the strongest enemies in this were Risen. Their armor values can be quite nuts so you really have to break out things like the armor debuff from chanter and a few other things. I didn't abuse food nearly enough was my take away towards the end of the game, when I finally dug through the menus to find the counter item to Fampyrs (Wael's drink or w/e). Risen archers in particular could gib people quite readily with execution strikes or whatever. poo poo was maddening until I started stacking my own piercing AC values.

Overall pretty fun, I'll probably keep using the mod myself on repeat playthroughs. Don't think I want to bother with the Hardcore version though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They love to make rogue archers in this game with finishing blow.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Raygereio posted:

Maybe.
But I think it's a save bet that the group of players who are comfortable enough on PotD that they want to increase the difficulty further with challenge modes, and the group of players who have no interaction with the main playerbase at all and so have no means to hear about the challenge modes via word of mouth have no overlap.

I'm fairly sure that if one of the two groups you mention never hear about this it'll be the casuals, not the players who play on PotD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Furism posted:

I'm fairly sure that if one of the two groups you mention never hear about this it'll be the casuals, not the players who play on PotD.

I think that's more or less what he's saying.