Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I round up to the quarter or dime cause gently caress pennies.

Serious answer though: I'm willing to sacrifice a few cents in exchange for more time I could paying attention to customers, making drinks, etc. And also gently caress pennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there any reason server would give more than required cash change, rounding up to the next dollar to avoid handling coins?

Coins are loving dumb and everyone hates them?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there any reason server would give more than required cash change, rounding up to the next dollar to avoid handling coins?

To avoid handling coins.

I always say I'll be right back with the change, but it mostly goes straight to the server anyway. I don't particularly care about <1% of what I make at the end of the night. Most of our tabs go on a card or room charge anyway.

e: Wow what a lovely way to start a page.

In other strange news, for the last like 2 years, someone in HR was either grossly negligent or intentionally loving with our insurance (in a good way for us). 30hr is required for us to get insurance, and they weren't dropping us when we fell below that. Corporate noticed a few months back and had somebody look at the numbers.

They just got canned and significant portion of the staff just lost insurance.

Quabzor fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 3, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

In other news, I'm moving to Tokyo in 12-18 months. I have the option to stay with our parent company and work in Osaka, or I could look for something in Tokyo, any recommendations?

I've been in Tokyo since 2005, but I don't work in food. Osaka is by all accounts ok, probably a better place to live than to visit. It doesn't have as many foreigners as Tokyo so the food scene isn't as varied. Kyoto is very cool.

What would you be looking for in Tokyo? I assume you don't speak Japanese, and I think you'd be crazy to work in a Japanese kitchen unless there was somebody specific you knew of that you wanted to work for.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I know nothing about food, but Osaka is cheaper to live in than Tokyo and I generally liked it much more. Tokyo is pricier but a bit more English--but still not much. Both cities will probably require at least some Japanese to function day to day.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Yeah, just depends on your regional Sysco distribution center.

In other news, I'm moving to Tokyo in 12-18 months. I have the option to stay with our parent company and work in Osaka, or I could look for something in Tokyo, any recommendations?

Also, California goons, I'mma be stoned in your wonderful state from the 13th thru 16th in SF, so if you wanna get drinks/food PM me!

Holler at ya bitch

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Stringent posted:

I've been in Tokyo since 2005, but I don't work in food. Osaka is by all accounts ok, probably a better place to live than to visit. It doesn't have as many foreigners as Tokyo so the food scene isn't as varied. Kyoto is very cool.

What would you be looking for in Tokyo? I assume you don't speak Japanese, and I think you'd be crazy to work in a Japanese kitchen unless there was somebody specific you knew of that you wanted to work for.

I'd be looking for high volume convention/luxury hotels. The ultra fine dining scene isn't really my thing anymore, unless it's part of a hotel banquet operation. Would be looking for something equivalent to a Sofitel, Swissotel, Four Seasons, etc.

As far as speaking Japanese, working on it, wife's company is paying for us to take classes over the next year.

Make No Babbys: we're staying at the Fairmont near Chinatown, iirc.

e: wife looked into it a bit, and American chefs seem to be very desireable in Japan? Jesus, I hope I'm not leaving Texas because I'm tired of cooking Tex-Mex, only to move to the land of the food I love, and be asked to cook Tex-Mex.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 4, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
99% sure no hotels in Tokyo are serving TexMex.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Stringent posted:

Someone has to tell them about frito pie.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Also, is your wife Japanese?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
nippon is an unforgiving land

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Stringent posted:

Also, is your wife Japanese?

Nope, her company is opening a Tokyo office next year, and she applied because we've always wanted to live abroad, they decided she was right for the job, so here we are.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
First day at new p/t buffet gig, find out the f/t buffet position put in notice because she's moving, and got offered her position. It would be a significant pay cut (assuming i'd make what she does, but I'm far less experienced than she is, so it might even be less), but it would be much more interesting. Worth thinking about, but it's hard to leave the bar job considering I get stupid money for dead simple work.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Stringent posted:

Sounds like an opportunity, CDC! Become the next big thing!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Honestly, if anything "American" would work in Tokyo specifically, it would be Texas BBQ with Japanese style sides.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Honestly, if anything "American" would work in Tokyo specifically, it would be Texas BBQ with Japanese style sides.

I'm interested in how current market sources or food prices might work well in Japan, given the different use patterns. After your first Tokyoposts I became intrigued by the feasibility of southern style whole hog barbecue, with, as you note, japanese sides and crossovers to ease consumption crossover. I think there might be both luxury and novelty markets...and from my minimal research it might simplify some supply chain structure issues Japan has (I believe they import a lot of pork, but have selective use) that would drive supply prices down.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 6, 2018

OmegaBeard
Sep 13, 2010
CdC, Tokyo is better.
BBQ is a huge hit with foreigners, but most places that don't serve poo poo "adapted" for local tastes die. So there's a severe lack of good BBQ.
I'm sure Stringent will let me know just how wrong I am though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

I hate you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Joel Robuchon just died.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Well, gently caress. RIP dude.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I love him.

Robuchon going sucks, but at least he retired and got to enjoy the past 20 years of his life.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Agreed with CdC on Robuchon, that's the way you'd want someone in this field to go, free of controversy and after a long, effective and positively influential life.

From another direction...what's the most garbage, inauthentic, culturally appropriative Tex Mex menu you could get away with in Japan? I'm guessing the bar isn't too high.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Discendo Vox posted:

From another direction...what's the most garbage, inauthentic, culturally appropriative Tex Mex menu you could get away with in Japan? I'm guessing the bar isn't too high.

They already have Okinawa taco rice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Discendo Vox posted:

Agreed with CdC on Robuchon, that's the way you'd want someone in this field to go, free of controversy and after a long, effective and positively influential life.

http://tacobell.co.jp/home-3/

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

OmegaBeard posted:

CdC, Tokyo is better.
BBQ is a huge hit with foreigners, but most places that don't serve poo poo "adapted" for local tastes die. So there's a severe lack of good BBQ.
I'm sure Stringent will let me know just how wrong I am though.

You're right and you know it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Yes, sure, but even further. That Taco Bell menu is too authentic.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
normal brain: a taco is a sandwich

galaxy brain: oyakodon is a taco

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Maybe you could put a texmex spin on Japanese classics. Like a sushi roll but instead of seaweed use a flour tortilla and instead of nasty old raw fish use like ground beef flavoured with coriander, cumin and chili

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Maybe you could put a texmex spin on Japanese classics. Like a sushi roll but instead of seaweed use a flour tortilla and instead of nasty old raw fish use like ground beef flavoured with coriander, cumin and chili

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hFwPmQqSsU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Ceviche sushi, rolls only. Far too much sour cream or crema mexicana. Nori replaced with tortilla chip paper, all rolls are fried like a chimichanga.

And all plates are covered in chili con queso, no exceptions.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

As you bite into it a machine emits Corona vapour

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Ceviche sushi, rolls only. Far too much sour cream or crema mexicana. Nori replaced with tortilla chip paper, all rolls are fried like a chimichanga.

And all plates are covered in chili con queso, no exceptions.

2 words: Sake micheladas.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
http://texwasabis.com

Lol

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Screaming Gobbler is loving amazing

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Actually, I've got something for this. :barf: Look on my links, ye mighty, and...

... I'm not sure despair is the right word for this,though. Any takers?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Bring back conscription to keep these idiots out of the general populace, ty.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Most of that sounds really good actually. Just not in "sushi" form.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

Actually, I've got something for this. :barf: Look on my links, ye mighty, and...

if ISIS declared jihad against this, the UN would give the caliphate America's seat on the Security Council

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

TheParadigm posted:

text is in korean

always remember korea was for about a decade the fastest growing pop of type 2 diabetics