Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

i remember gentoo completely making GBS threads itself every time there was a perl update somehow

It's telling you not to use Perl, and that's AOK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it has become a little bit better (that is, you don't _always_ have to run perl-cleaner mid-update to successfully update your system)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I update MacOS like normal (Never had an issue), can use XCode/iOS simulation, and even iMessages work. I have two HDMI switches so I can run "macos.sh" in my terminal, flip the inputs, and use MacOS all day, it's pretty slick. MacOS auto-logins and runs synergy at startup as well. :smug:

you'll have to steal a legit mb serial from somewhere to get imessages or for other things that needs an apple account to work, and it is extremely tedious. and getting gpu passthrough working is also a god drat chore, so if you're doing this as anything else than a hobby, you're a moron.

(yes, i've gotten gpu passthrough to work, used it to play the famous walking simulator called alien:isolation before it came out on linux. it's a hacky workaround for when you can't get wine to work that you do when you're god drat desperate)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
alternative idea: install osx on your hardware and you dont need linux at all

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

and another work-related tidbit about hackintoshes is that it's basically piracy from apple's viewpoint. so if you're doing it for work-related stuff then it might be something that you'd have to.. at least think about

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

wouldn't want your bespoke fart app booted from the apple store because it originated from non-apple hw (not that I know of any time that has ever happened in history, but why not, it's apple)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Tankakern posted:

you'll have to steal a legit mb serial from somewhere to get imessages or for other things that needs an apple account to work, and it is extremely tedious. and getting gpu passthrough working is also a god drat chore, so if you're doing this as anything else than a hobby, you're a moron.

(yes, i've gotten gpu passthrough to work, used it to play the famous walking simulator called alien:isolation before it came out on linux. it's a hacky workaround for when you can't get wine to work that you do when you're god drat desperate)

you just need to use a serial generator and check it on two sites, one to validate and one to make sure it wasn't assigned to a real Mac. I don't understand how thats "extremely tedious," its like a 2 minute job (including reboot)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pram posted:

alternative idea: install osx on your hardware and you dont need linux at all

for some reason osx doesn't like our sarnsung ml-1740 printer (adds fine but doesn't actually print anything) while on linux it works right away ootb

turns out 2018 is the year of linux on the desktop after all

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

huh, my Linux printing experience has almost always been lovely wrappers around blobs that broke all the time on update, but printing is generally terrible

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

It's telling you not to use Perl, and that's AOK.

accurate, tho this was mid-2000s so it was still used for some system stuff or smth idk

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

for some reason osx doesn't like our sarnsung ml-1740 printer (adds fine but doesn't actually print anything) while on linux it works right away ootb

turns out 2018 is the year of linux on the desktop after all

this is impossible because CUPS is made by apple computers corporation cupertino california

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Maximum Leader posted:

you just need to use a serial generator and check it on two sites, one to validate and one to make sure it wasn't assigned to a real Mac. I don't understand how thats "extremely tedious," its like a 2 minute job (including reboot)

this is a lame reply. setting up gentoo is a 2 minute job too if you know all the commands you'd have to chain.

that you have spent hours and days of your life getting a hackintosh working (and therefore can do it again in 2 minutes) does not mean that other people should do the same. it really is a rats nest of random forum posts, and apple will do anything they can to throw a wrench in your bespoke "2 minute" setup as soon as they get the chance.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Tankakern posted:

this is a lame reply. setting up gentoo is a 2 minute job too if you know all the commands you'd have to chain.

that you have spent hours and days of your life getting a hackintosh working (and therefore can do it again in 2 minutes) does not mean that other people should do the same. it really is a rats nest of random forum posts, and apple will do anything they can to throw a wrench in your bespoke "2 minute" setup as soon as they get the chance.

dude you said getting a serial was extremely tedious? what did you think I was talking about lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

meh

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Apple hasn't exactly made it difficult to steal macos, It feels more like they have some gentlemans agreement with Microsoft not to compete in the generic shitbox market

The EULA states:
"you are granted a limited, non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at any one time."

and that's why they include extra apple stickers in the box when you buy a mac. Just make sure to slap one on the case of your hackintosh :colbert:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

Apple hasn't exactly made it difficult to steal macos, It feels more like they have some gentlemans agreement with Microsoft not to compete in the generic shitbox market

The EULA states:
"you are granted a limited, non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at any one time."

and that's why they include extra apple stickers in the box when you buy a mac. Just make sure to slap one on the case of your hackintosh :colbert:

public notary certified drive bay stickers

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
so is it legal for me to run macOS in a virtual machine under linux on my work imac?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its free software

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tankakern posted:

By "Chore" you mean "type lspci -nn", grab the ID's, setup one config file, and reboot?

As far as 'stealing a legit mb serial', no you don't.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

Took about 10 minutes total.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Guys, my MacOS VM might take a bit more setup than buying a Mac with it pre-installed.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Truga posted:

apparently gnome is dropping theme support:
"I would rather see GNOME evolve as a platform and become a little less developer-hostile by dropping support for third-party themes, than stagnate." https://samuelhewitt.com/blog/2018-08-05-moving-beyond-themes

predictably a lot of people are up in arms about this instead of just finally making the correct choice and switching to the superior desktop environment, the k desktop environment

seems reasonable. if your gui is based on css then it’s helpful to know what that css is likely to contain

I never did quite understand the headlong rush to use css for things other than styling html, but I guess it’s too late to change that now

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

By "Chore" you mean "type lspci -nn", grab the ID's, setup one config file, and reboot?

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lysidas posted:

so is it legal for me to run macOS in a virtual machine under linux on my work imac?

iirc the host restriction is that its a mac, not what operating system the host is running

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

you're kinda proving my point here

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pram posted:

this is impossible because CUPS is made by apple computers corporation cupertino california

sounds like they hosed up with hiring the cups guy then

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

just inherited an ancient laptop with only 256 mb of ram and an x86 (instead of amd64) cpu

I think this really qualifies as an embedded system in tyool 2018 when phones have 4x or 8x the memory

on the plus side, it has a com port and a modem interface.

I tried installing lubuntu 12.04 and it choked during bringup, but it was using plymouth so I don’t 100% know why it failed but I bet it was the memory.

Is there a *modern 2018* graphical linux distro that will work or do I have to resort to buildroot? Or should I try netbsd?

should I turn it into a single node bbs server?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

probably has a software driven modem, so modem drivers will be a crapshoot

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

what would you even dial with a modem nowadays

install something more appropriate like windows 98

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

r u ready to WALK posted:

what would you even dial with a modem nowadays

install something more appropriate like windows 98

this is the linux desktop thread

I need linux desktop opinions

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

el dorito posted:

just inherited an ancient laptop with only 256 mb of ram and an x86 (instead of amd64) cpu

I think this really qualifies as an embedded system in tyool 2018 when phones have 4x or 8x the memory

I tried installing lubuntu 12.04 and it choked during bringup, but it was using plymouth so I don’t 100% know why it failed but I bet it was the memory.

Is there a *modern 2018* graphical linux distro that will work or do I have to resort to buildroot? Or should I try netbsd?

Try bunsenlabs Linux which is the successor of crunchbang.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

el dorito posted:

this is the linux desktop thread

I need linux desktop opinions

http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net

ur welcome

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

based on kubuntu probably still needs 2 gb just to boot. fail.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

spankmeister posted:

Try bunsenlabs Linux which is the successor of crunchbang.

https://www.bunsenlabs.org

hmm

recent release was april 30 of this year, looks promising

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

crunchbang is still going, it's now called crunchbang ++

or maybe that's someone else? who knows

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

failing that try the ultra light distros. you might want to try smth like puppy Linux or SliTaz, which should run completely in your ram, & even without installation the live media might be useful

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

mike12345 posted:

crunchbang is still going, it's now called crunchbang ++

or maybe that's someone else? who knows

they’re both successor projects, ++ came first but I see Bunsen suggested more 🤷🏻‍♀️ iirc #! stopped cause the dev got tired of doing it and didn’t understand its ongoing appeal. I used to use #! on a shitbox and it was p needs suiting at the time

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

el dorito posted:

entirely unironically:

install a Haiku nightly build

it will be awesome and be fast and nostalgic and still actually let you do things like browse the web and compile software on the laptop

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

el dorito posted:

put it in the electronics recycling bin and move on with your life

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

microsoft with the important purchases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eschaton posted:

entirely unironically:

install a Haiku nightly build

it will be awesome and be fast and nostalgic and still actually let you do things like browse the web and compile software on the laptop

hm

is this a good project for my 486 with 40 mb ram?