Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Woah is this thread relatively new or something? I'm surprised, I looked through my post history in it and there's a lot less than I expected. Yeah let's make it fuckin clear, Babylon 5 is my favorite show (and my parents' favorite show) and that will be true forever and ever. amen.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The acting seems stilted at times, but it's hard to tell how much of that is writing and directing as well as the actor's fault. Hell, there's even a degree of generational separation where the medium of television has changed a lot since then (while it was harkening very strongly towards 60s and 70s shows as well).

The top of my issues with Boxleitner is his pronunciation of the word "bear". Even now, it haunts me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oStG9DI0q3g

What the ... !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The wife and I finished season 3 just now. :homebrew:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pick posted:

Woah is this thread relatively new or something? I'm surprised, I looked through my post history in it and there's a lot less than I expected. Yeah let's make it fuckin clear, Babylon 5 is my favorite show (and my parents' favorite show) and that will be true forever and ever. amen.

I posted the OP 2 years ago almost to the day. If you'd asked me and I had to answer without checking, I would've said it's even newer than that, but then I remember I did change my username a couple months before the 2016 election, so that makes sense. It just doesn't seem like that was that long ago, either.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Babylon 5 is the only show where I have to be really careful if I queue it up because I WILL end up rewatching the entire series. My parents did the same thing when I was like "hey it's on Amazon Prime, you know the thing you mooch from me, sort of like how you mooch my fuckin netflix" and they were like "oh that might be fun" and then like two days later my mom called me at like 2 am and was like "oh man the fall of centauri prime is so good" and i was like "aaaa i gotta go to work tomorrow wtf call me at a reasonable hour"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Iniating the get us the hell out of here maneuver.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Timby posted:

Boxleitner is a one-note actor who, in a show filled with low-rent actors, somehow stood out as being the worst. I mean, poo poo, he made Scoggins look competent. I get that people love lines like "NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR GALAXY!" but he delivers them with a level of cheese that would make the entire state of Wisconsin go, "Wait, God drat."

And I've said it before, but if you want to get yourself into an alcoholic coma / develop acute liver failure, take a shot every time he says, "No ... nonononono." Holy gently caress.

Boxlietner has at least three notes. Optimistic, incredulous, and righteously indignant.

And I love them all.

:swoon:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 6, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Babylon 5 also has the loving weirdest sense of humor, and it was incredibly formative for me.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Doctor Zero posted:

Boxlietner has at least three notes. Optimistic, incredulous, and righteously indignant.

And I love them all.

:swoon:

What does he use when he sends stuff straight to hell?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Boxlietner did some really good voice acting in the Tron Uprising TV series and Spec Ops The Line. The big moment at the end of The Line especially.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
BABYLON 5 IS SO GOOD!!!!!!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
because of this show I am permanently unable to remember which way longitude and latitude go

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pick posted:

BABYLON 5 IS SO GOOD!!!!!!

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but: go to bed, Pick, you're drunk.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

because of this show I am permanently unable to remember which way longitude and latitude go

for me it's paralysis when zipping and buttoning my pants. which first??

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

V-Men posted:

What does he use when he sends stuff straight to hell?

Okay 4 notes.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

The acting seems stilted at times, but it's hard to tell how much of that is writing and directing as well as the actor's fault. Hell, there's even a degree of generational separation where the medium of television has changed a lot since then (while it was harkening very strongly towards 60s and 70s shows as well).

The top of my issues with Boxleitner is his pronunciation of the word "bear". Even now, it haunts me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oStG9DI0q3g

Checked the script book, and it's even worse than you think. I figured "Bab-ber-lon 5" might have been specified in the script, which would excuse Boxleitner. But the script book has the following:
SHERIDAN
"Bear-Bylon Five." That's cute.

I'd have gone with "Bab-bear-lon Five" myself, so I could imagine having trouble with the line.

And yes, I should maybe have the Wolfcastle emote somewhere in that response.

As for stilted acting, go back and watch the first few seasons of Star Trek: TNG. Or 2001: A Space Odyssey. Or the original BSG. I partly blame the affectless delivery that real astronauts tended to have in stuff that NASA released, too, as fitting into a mindset of "professional behavior IN SPACE."

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Pick posted:

Silly narsham, don't you know that good acting is glumly looking away from camera and mumbling?

So, what Patricia Tallman was doing during the elevator scene?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vavrek posted:

So, what Patricia Tallman was doing during the elevator scene?

I didn't think she said anything there. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tonight I watched the episode where Vir shanked a bitch, Lando becomes prime minister, and Narn is free.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Drunk Vir is almost as adorable as just-got-laid Vir.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like Babylon 5 really perfectly bridges the old-fashioned sci fi with new sci fi, and the seams really show.

[snip]

This is a very interesting take that I don't remember seeing so explicitly expressed before (apologies if I'm forgetting some other goon from earlier :ohdear:), and I am going to shamelessly steal this for my next "argue drunkenly about favourite sci-fi shows" night :tipshat:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John Sheridan killed Bryan Cranston, is this points for or against him?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

I said come in! posted:

Tonight I watched the episode where Vir shanked a bitch, Lando becomes prime minister, and Narn is free.

Could someone adept with image editing give Billy Dee Williams a giant hair-crest? TIA.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vavrek posted:

Could someone adept with image editing give Billy Dee Williams a giant hair-crest? TIA.

We never saw any black Centauri, did we? I'm imagining a peacock-sized jheri curl and it's stupendous

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are Sinclair and Valen the same people?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Are Sinclair and Valen the same people?

The same person, singular, yes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just a reminder there's a few people going through the series for the first time posting itt.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Timby posted:

The news reports at the time suggested that PTEN told Straczynski to change the lead actor or else the show would be canceled. At the time, he obfuscated, saying that it was always part of the plan to move Sinclair to a background role and introduce a new "soldier" commander of the station (which everyone with half a brain could see was PR spin).

I don't know when he told the cast, though; in Jerry Doyle's extensive interview with Kenneth Plume (which was around ... 2002-ish, I think), Doyle simply said that O'Hare was a very intense guy and not always the easiest to work with, and insisted that O'Hare had been fired. Granted, Doyle and reality weren't always exactly on the same page.

He basically completely poo poo-talked O'Hare on his radio show, calling him crazy and impossible to work with. And this was while he was still around, and when everyone else who knew the truth about his leaving was still keeping a lid on it. RIP Jerry, you loving piece of poo poo.

Here we are, actual quote:

https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/39270/

"My first season of Babylon 5 working with Michael O'Hare, he's a whack-job a complete lunatic. He flies out from New York, he gets the gig, we're doing our rehearsels he says to me one day "Uh can you give me a ride out the the set?" yeah sure! "Wanna stop and have breakfeast?" yeah good! He gets in the car and he's playing with the buttons in my car trying to turn the radio off and I'm like what are you doing? And he goes "I don't want any sound" and I go well why dont you just ask me to turn it off? And he goes "I dont want to talk today!" And I say well why do you want to go to breakfeast and he goes "you talk, I'll listen!" so obviously we hurry through breakfeast, we go out to the set and I realise I'm dealing with a complete nut-job here."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What an rear end in a top hat.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
Thanks Pick, I got my sticker :)

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Starting to binge this series since I was more of a Trek fan when I was a kid when it aired. DS9 is my favorite trek, and I can see some overlap, but so far I don't really think one ripped off the other. I'm really liking this show. Is there any turds I should avoid, or should I just immerse myself in it completely????

Also I love the centaurian dude with the crazy hair. Londo I think? Favorite dude so far.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh you have such wonders ahead of you

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Starting to binge this series since I was more of a Trek fan when I was a kid when it aired. DS9 is my favorite trek, and I can see some overlap, but so far I don't really think one ripped off the other. I'm really liking this show. Is there any turds I should avoid, or should I just immerse myself in it completely????

Also I love the centaurian dude with the crazy hair. Londo I think? Favorite dude so far.

You are going to be the happiest man alive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh also don't skip any episodes. They're basically all important.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
The CGI is *really* dated, but it reminds me a lot of the graphics from that old game Escape Velocity, so I'm getting this little nostalgia twinge every time they show something, and it works. It just works. :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pick posted:

Oh also don't skip any episodes. They're basically all important.

It's highly sequential. In a way that even DS9 is not. You don't want to miss anything.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

It's highly sequential. In a way that even DS9 is not. You don't want to miss anything.

It's sequential in a way that no other show I'm aware of, short of a miniseries, is. It's easier to skip episodes of The Wire.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The CGI is *really* dated, but it reminds me a lot of the graphics from that old game Escape Velocity, so I'm getting this little nostalgia twinge every time they show something, and it works. It just works. :v:

The CGI gets better. It's still old but by season three or so it looks pretty good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Maelstache posted:

He basically completely poo poo-talked O'Hare on his radio show, calling him crazy and impossible to work with. And this was while he was still around, and when everyone else who knew the truth about his leaving was still keeping a lid on it. RIP Jerry, you loving piece of poo poo.

Here we are, actual quote:

https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/39270/

"My first season of Babylon 5 working with Michael O'Hare, he's a whack-job a complete lunatic. He flies out from New York, he gets the gig, we're doing our rehearsels he says to me one day "Uh can you give me a ride out the the set?" yeah sure! "Wanna stop and have breakfeast?" yeah good! He gets in the car and he's playing with the buttons in my car trying to turn the radio off and I'm like what are you doing? And he goes "I don't want any sound" and I go well why dont you just ask me to turn it off? And he goes "I dont want to talk today!" And I say well why do you want to go to breakfeast and he goes "you talk, I'll listen!" so obviously we hurry through breakfeast, we go out to the set and I realise I'm dealing with a complete nut-job here."

Did Doyle actually know the truth? I thought it was a secret between JMS, O'Hare and Doug Netter.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Grand Fromage posted:

The CGI gets better. It's still old but by season three or so it looks pretty good.
Season 3 is probably the high point. Producer Doug Netter fired the original CG house in order to use a company he'd set up (and named after!) himself for season 4 onwards, and the emphasis went from "how cool can we make the choreography of this sequence of shots?" to "how many ships can we jam onto the screen at once?" (They still do some good work, but the difference in style is very noticeable.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

:allears: enjoy the ride! Don’t skip anything first time through.

Paramount almost beyond doubt ripped off whole swaths of B5 but that shouldn’t be held against DS9 so much as Paramount suits.

Jedit posted:

Did Doyle actually know the truth? I thought it was a secret between JMS, O'Hare and Doug Netter.

Not likely but if you deal with a literal schizophrenic day to day you’re going to call the person crazy eventually.