Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/251110/

TRAILER

The city of Stalburg is a decrepit shithole plastered over by a veneer of a few modern blocks, eco-friendly vanity projects, and brutal social policies. Sure, the recent corruption scandal has shaken things up, and new people are coming in to sort out the mess covered up by the previous administration, but for now the true extent of the infrastructure rot can only be guessed at.
At National Consulting Group we know things are bad. Why have we signed up to fix and maintain all this? Because our boss needs a penis substitute, and being in charge of the local dams is just the stuff. Any day now he is going to call Steve, me, and the inseparable Carla and Amit duo to head out there and look at the damage. There can't be any harm in simply looking, can it?

I don't expect to run into many people on the job: a few harmless vagrants and hippies at most. Really, the greatest threat will be dying of boredom between taking pictures of a missing handrail, or a shoddy wiring job. The guys in the office joke about some older tunnels turning into deathtraps, but I doubt anything there could have degraded to that degree of excitement.

PERKELE:

ACT ONE

1/ Don't you hate the days when by the time you wake up you're already in some meeting? Makes you daydream about throwing yourself off some cliff...

2/ Bear attacks are on the rise in the Stalburg region, as vicious beasts raid country homes in search of batteries...

3/ It was a profoundly stupid idea, all things considered, but I felt it should be done, or I would regret it much, much later...

4/ On a job so big, this kind of discovery was bound to happen eventually...

5/ ???

6/ The benefits of being unionised: you come to work, read the morning paper, start a game, and leave.

7/ The 2016 season of brownwater rafting begins early in Stalburg, owing to the wonderful weather.

8/ I should not have slept through classes on explosives handling, assuming we had any.

9/ I still have nine packs of batteries left.

10/ At least the story of the dock is over now. Or is it?

11/ Where is everybody?

12/ I keep moving forward, leaving a trail of repairs and destruction behind me.

13/ I hope my collection of geocache boxes can provide shelter long enough for me to figure out what to do.

ACT TWO

14/ You know what they say: can't do an inspection without breaking a few windows.

15/ Someone here was taking notes on a criminal conspiracy.

16/ Stalburg Metro is always a wild ride. Buy your own ticket today!

17/ Floc this place!

18/ Thrills! Excitement! Adventure! If you find any, please call.

19/ Let's take a break, look at old photos, and watch some movies.

20/ A plot twist, a long-awaited reveal, and a narrow escape from deadly danger are coming this winter in...

21/ People never invite me to funerals. I wonder, why?

22/ A drat fine cup of coffee!

23/ I'll miss that lively wrench, and not just in the "Should have brought it for a puzzle!" sense.

24/ No, no, no, no, no, NO!

ACT THREE

25/ Could it be the light at the end of the tunnel?

26/ I hope it's not a sign of how all communication with people is going to play out.

27/ Marko's. Battery. Store.

28/ Something as straightforward as a bridge is a nice break at this point.

29/ An old story thread gets an unexpected conclusion.

30/ I'm supposed to go WHERE now?

31/ Doesn't an indoor shithouse defeat the purpose of a shithouse?

32,33/ I visit Stalburg's dark side, underside and backside, all lumped together.

34/ This, certainly, has been a part of my adventure.

35/ Oh, no! Not Max Koller!... Who's Max Koller?

36/ It's the only vehicle that hasn't let me down today.

37/ I'm not shocked that the crane in the SNW bunker was in a far better condition.

38/ Sure, give me a lecture as the alarms ring throughout the building. I don't mind.

39/ So, what if I don't feel like fixing the reactor? What's the worst that could happen?

///ART///

Tombot posted:

I apologise profusely for this:

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This is a great game, with great potential, and this LP is the same. I was actually a little involved with the earliest parts of solving the ARG- but I had to stop playing around when the second episode came out. I'm really looking forward to this!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I bought this game but I was put off by all of the Gotchas and missable content, so I'm following this for sure.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I have never even heard of this game but the first episode seemed fun so I'll be following this.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I personally would like to see all of the secrets, but I realise how much work that would be. I gave up personally because of how much stuff they expect a player to do and I just couldn't be bothered.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I have concerns about the company that routinely blocks and locks the fire exits in their buildings as the best choice to manage a safety inspection of infrastructure.

I heard about and was interested in this as well but I got put off because of what I heard about its length. Hypothetically speaking I'd love to see all the secrets but I guess the big question is does it matter? Is the secret ending worth it? I guess we don't really know but unless there's something particularly interesting hidden away (instead of just stuff that reinforces what is already known anyways) I probably wouldn't miss it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mark reminds me of this cart collector at the local grocery store who always wears sunglasses and leather gloves while working and tries to be as painfully "cool" as possible in everything he does, like doing finger guns at people trying to park.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I appreciate that the release date for the fake movie is in January, which is traditionally the dumping ground for bad movies in the US

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kibayasu posted:

I have concerns about the company that routinely blocks and locks the fire exits in their buildings as the best choice to manage a safety inspection of infrastructure.

I heard about and was interested in this as well but I got put off because of what I heard about its length. Hypothetically speaking I'd love to see all the secrets but I guess the big question is does it matter? Is the secret ending worth it? I guess we don't really know but unless there's something particularly interesting hidden away (instead of just stuff that reinforces what is already known anyways) I probably wouldn't miss it.

My impression is there is some big reveal hidden in there, but I don't have the time to go back through and try to catalogue everything; just getting to the main secret area in Part 1 is incredibly obtuse (if quite fair by its own logic).

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Office saunas aren't common but they do exist on larger office buildings. Of course, a lot of other facilities that you wouldn't think would have them have them.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

2/ Bear attacks are on the rise in the Stalburg region, as vicious beasts raid country homes in search of batteries...

All you need to do to beat this level is:

Walk into the power plant.
Get and use the cutters.
Walk to the dam.
Stick two fuses back in.
Use the elevator.

But you wished for collectibles :allears:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Okay, that intro skip was pretty good. The deaths too.

SelenicMartian posted:

But you wished for collectibles :allears:
:getin:

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
71 ABV Pontikka is pretty strong stuff. Also, I'm pretty certain the NPP mentioned in the newspaper is referencing the tower of Babel that is the Olkiluoto 3 reactor project.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Nooooooo! Take a fuse with you! Don't do what I did!

Also, holy wow I had no idea you could die in so many ways at this point of the game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I never found either of those caves- or they were added after my time playing :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Okay, the adventures of Mark the idiotic structural engineer who throws poo poo at dam cracks, steps on old explosives, and plays basketball with electrical fuses might be worth the collectathon.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What happens to the train if it crashes into the tree? Does it keep going, or crash? What does the result look like?

Also seems to me like there might be even more random deaths possible. You can clearly walk onto the tracks from the tree, so you can walk towards the incoming train and perhaps even a ways into the train tunnel on the other side if you're fast enough.

And can you use the lift while you only fixed the engine, not the brakes?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

And can you use the lift while you only fixed the engine, not the brakes?
Find out next time!
Actually, I don't think the main powers switch works unless you get both fuses into place.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Also seems to me like there might be even more random deaths possible. You can clearly walk onto the tracks from the tree, so you can walk towards the incoming train and perhaps even a ways into the train tunnel on the other side if you're fast enough.
Mark also can't swim.

The train will run you over, yes. As for the tree, it just hits it and stops, plugging that hole with the rear of the car, so you can't really get there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Triple A posted:

Office saunas aren't common but they do exist on larger office buildings. Of course, a lot of other facilities that you wouldn't think would have them have them.

Even Parliament has a sauna.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I still don't know if I like or hate this game. I think I missed out on the secret ending (???) but when you said that they cut the driving sections my reaction was "oh thank gently caress"

Even for a walking sim the controls feel very stiff

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the idea of urbex games, and taking photos for a later repair crew or something is a pretty good framing device. Thanks for being a guide to this one!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Glazius posted:

I like the idea of urbex games, and taking photos for a later repair crew or something is a pretty good framing device. Thanks for being a guide to this one!

Agreed, this game is pretty neat so far.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Glazius posted:

There was actually a goon-made urbex game, from one of the summer game jams here a few years ago, that worked through twitch integration. It presented itself as some guys livestreaming their exploration of some abandoned government facility, and they'd cycle through a room or small area and people voted on what to look and poke at and where to go through the chat. Unfortunately, twitch delay was particularly bad at the time and severely hampered the responsiveness.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I was only vaguely aware of this game before, but hadn't seen much on it. It does seem interesting so far, though the writing is kind of getting in the way for me. The attempts at humour are falling a little flat and distracting from the exploration/atmosphere a bit.

I don't know, maybe it's the delivery on the lines, at least partially. It has a problem I've experienced in other (usually indie) games and movies where the voices are in English because they want to sell more copies I guess (and don't have the budget for better localisation), but the actors aren't very comfortable speaking English. So far in INFRA it feels almost like every second line has messed up intonation.

I sort of wish this was just in Finnish with English subtitles, to be honest. :v:

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

chitoryu12 posted:

Even Parliament has a sauna.

That is to be expected since it's the best place to negotiate delicate matters in a timely but effective manner.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"A geocache!"

".....there's nothing inside it."

[CORRUPTION UNCOVERED]

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
This certainly seems like the best game you've played in quite some time.

I understand why they didn't include a HUD, but having some sort of inventory to check your battery supplies (and maybe review old photos) would have been nice.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

EasilyConfused posted:

I understand why they didn't include a HUD, but having some sort of inventory to check your battery supplies (and maybe review old photos) would have been nice.
In between the portrayal of The Engineer and some of the details in this, I feel like such an inventory would take the form of some sort of EDC dump bag that you shove the batteries - packaging and all - into and then have to open up and sort through manually. Fresh packs go here, empty packaging goes here, new batteries go here, deads go here... or wait was it the other way around

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
What kind of hellmouth of alternate dimension has pear computers running with viewports 8?

Nothing is even worth saving there. Only that "Stalburg error solving model" is pure and good in that hellish place.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

OutofSight posted:

What kind of hellmouth of alternate dimension has pear computers running with viewports 8?

If the IT threads in here are any indication, it's not that uncommon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I appreciate all of the easter eggs and deaths in this game

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

especially genji's death

wrong thread :cripes:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 11, 2018

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012
Heh. Perkele.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this, this game looks like it's got some neat stuff to see, and I've quite enjoyed the presentation thus far.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I am very disappointed we didn't take the elevator without brakes. That seems like exactly the kind of dick move the game would have in store for you by placing only a single fuse next to the fuse box for you to use.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I am very disappointed we didn't take the elevator without brakes. That seems like exactly the kind of dick move the game would have in store for you by placing only a single fuse next to the fuse box for you to use.
Oh, this game doesn't deal is such tiny dick moves.

While looking for info about dam turbines, I've found out that sometimes you job is giving a fish a water slide through a propeller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a30jkeZcE8

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Aw, that's too bad. Though without the brakes I guess we could just stop the motor and that would also stop the elevator... unless the cables snapped on the way down or something.

I guess the game's humour is limited to more improbable things like derailing trails or causing the collapse of dams. Though if our cheery protag was a fan of Popular Mechanics he may be a lot less enthusiastic about inspecting our next objective.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, this game doesn't deal is such tiny dick moves.

While looking for info about dam turbines, I've found out that sometimes you job is giving a fish a water slide through a propeller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a30jkeZcE8

I bet my brother, a fish science man, would know what's going on here but I sure don't. I mean, I understand hucking fish through a series of buckets but nothing else! Presumably some kind of piping that leads around the turbine.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They slip the fish through the working turbine.

http://www.vlh-turbine.com/products/vlh-turbine/fish-friendliness/

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

It's definitely troubling that they give you about six fuses in those first couple of rooms for just two empty sockets, especially seeing as you can only carry one at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

3/ It was a profoundly stupid idea, all things considered, but I felt it should be done, or I would regret it much, much later...

As I said, INFRA doesn't deal in tiny dick moves.