Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
if they insist on svn let them use the cli imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

there are quite a few apps for that but instead of being helpful i’m just gonna say “git”

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

poty posted:

stop trying to steal the credit from the one true brave maverick who took a stand

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/1026565412782268416

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I want someone to watch a Republican conspiracist smash an iPhone X, iPad, MacBook Pro, Apple Watch, Apple TV and HomePod. like that’s a $6,000 smashing video

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the nsa's assault on apple continues

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

this but ironically. also this could be part of the whole trade war thing.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
TSMC makes a lot more than just Apple chips. by this time of year they should already be ramped up on chip production for the next phone. unless they have a significant yield problem they are unlikely to be the bottleneck in iPhone production.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

unless you have to do something with empty folders, yeah

but use some cli, most gui clients are garbo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
thats nuts. when i worked at the samsung fab a 3 second power interruption where the backup generators failed caused a ton of scrap.

i bet when that virus hit the fab it was just robots throwing wafers like frisbees everywhere.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

thats nuts. when i worked at the samsung fab a 3 second power interruption where the backup generators failed caused a ton of scrap.

i bet when that virus hit the fab it was just robots throwing wafers like frisbees everywhere.
did the backup generators fail often?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
why aren’t the robots air gapped?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

why aren’t the robots air gapped?

makes it inconvenient to control from the cloud

also once set up you would never ever change a robot system unless the production changes because your change might be the one breaking everything.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

the state attacked their financial base specifically because the state does not like their speech. that's far different from youtube kicking someone off of youtube.

How is it any different than Trump publicly going after the Washington Post and Amazon because he doesn't like Jeff Bezos?

Elder Postsman posted:

they told me they couldn't replace it because i did it myself a year or so ago. it's easy enough to do tho.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

did you actually tell them you serviced the phone yourself? Lol

FYI this no longer matters. You can rip off tamper seals and the manufacturer cannot deny fixing it unless you opening the device is what caused the malfunction (for example, if you opened up your PS4 to replace the thermal paste on the CPU, and a few months later the hard drive dies, they cannot deny fixing it for you unless the defect was in the CPU).

This is a fairly new law though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

How is it any different than Trump publicly going after the Washington Post and Amazon because he doesn't like Jeff Bezos?

it would be the same. Cuomo is a huge piece of poo poo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

anthonypants posted:

did the backup generators fail often?

iirc it was a power bump and short outage that caused some backup systems that also knocked out some backup systems

as for why things wouldn't be air gapped, in a big factory there is almost always gonna be one guy in one department that decided 5 years ago that the air gap policy didn't apply to him and hooked up some wire to make it so he can change things on the factory floor from the internet connected computer in his cube. i don't care what the policy is or of it is a fireable offense to do this, there is always someone who will break the rules to make his life easier and you never find out until it there is a virus that takes down a bunch of things that it shouldn't have.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

it would be the same. Cuomo is a huge piece of poo poo

Well then the NRA would be dumb to go after Cuomo for this, because then it sets a precedent that will gently caress Trump over

I am not about to get into a gun debate but I am not sure why Cuomo is a piece of poo poo for trying to limit the NRA's reach in New York considering blue states elect politicians that are (supposed to be) tough on guns. He doesn't want more Billy the Kids roaming around, not thinking before shooting people because "my insurance will cover it if I'm in the wrong!".

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
trump hasn't been successful in any attempts to financially punish anyone he doesn't like (yet) so its not quite the same, but its still wrong either way

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the insurance policy they were selling was to cover your criminal defense for acts of intentional wrongdoing, and in most states it is just outright illegal to sell insurance against illegal acts. That's the core of the argument.

This is equivalent to a company selling a car without seatbelts or airbags, getting shut down by the NHTSA, and then claiming their first amendment rights are being violated because selling a dangerous car is free speech

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they were general policies for defense around gun use. plus the criminal intent could only be proven at the end of a case meaning the policy couldn't be illegal until after a court case for which the policy applied.

a better analogy would be an insurance policy that protects companies from financial penalties in sexual harassment cases. or an insurance policy that protects a bank from losses due to negligence.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

the insurance policy they were selling was to cover your criminal defense for acts of intentional wrongdoing, and in most states it is just outright illegal to sell insurance against illegal acts. That's the core of the argument.

This is equivalent to a company selling a car without seatbelts or airbags, getting shut down by the NHTSA, and then claiming their first amendment rights are being violated because selling a dangerous car is free speech
well sure, until 2021 when the supreme court rules 5-4 that the terms of an insurance policy are "speech" supported by the "strongly held beliefs" of the issuing company

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

a better analogy would be an insurance policy that protects companies from financial penalties in sexual harassment cases. or an insurance policy that protects a bank from losses due to negligence.

No, it's not the same as that because companies have limited liability structures and are legally distinct from their employees. This is equivalent of selling an individual insurance policy that protects a single person in the case that they are accused of sexual assault or of robbing a bank, which would also be illegal.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the corporate policies encourage wrong doing in the same way individual policies would. they have the same reasoning behind them but one is illegal because individuals are easier/more desirable to prosecute than corporations. its hardly different from retaining a lawyer.

Assuming the defendant is guilty and thus not eligible to pay for their defense is loving stupid.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

sexual harassment in the workplace and negligence at a bank aren't jailable offenses

shooting someone because they played rap music too loud is against the law, however (usually)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sexual assault is definitely illegal. also self defense is not illegal unless its proven to not be self defense. you're talking about using assumed guilt as a mechanism to make defense against the state harder.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"We, the state, assume this defendant is guilty, therefore a lawyer should not be made available to such a guilty person"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
you didn't say sexual assault; you said sexual harassment. your boss being a creepy perv unfortunately isn't illegal. if he stalks you and leaves you 40,000 voicemails then yes that is illegal but that's not what you said

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

legal expenses insurance is usually civil: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_expenses_insurance
in US its usually prepaid legal services or a benefit of a job. ie a union's legal services.

Shaggar posted:

"We, the state, assume this defendant is guilty, therefore a lawyer should not be made available to such a guilty person"

one of the cases that scared the DOJ career prosecutors away from taking corporations from trial ended with the charges dismissed because the executives had a legal services provision in their employment contract and the US attorneys attacked the company for providing legal services to the executives. this resulted in the judge tossing the entire case against both and reprimanding the US attorneys involved.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

you didn't say sexual assault; you said sexual harassment. your boss being a creepy perv unfortunately isn't illegal. if he stalks you and leaves you 40,000 voicemails then yes that is illegal but that's not what you said

harassment is most times some form of assault but even so the insurance protects against assault as well.

hobbesmaster posted:

legal expenses insurance is usually civil: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_expenses_insurance
in US its usually prepaid legal services or a benefit of a job. ie a union's legal services.

one of the cases that scared the DOJ career prosecutors away from taking corporations from trial ended with the charges dismissed because the executives had a legal services provision in their employment contract and the US attorneys attacked the company for providing legal services to the executives. this resulted in the judge tossing the entire case against both and reprimanding the US attorneys involved.

that's great. Prosecutors are scum on par with cops and trying to deprive someone of their legal defense is amazingly bad.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

that's great. Prosecutors are scum on par with cops and trying to deprive someone of their legal defense is amazingly bad.
Shaggar Was Right

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Andrew Cuomo is a huge pro-prosecutor pro cop piece of poo poo and its not surprising he wants to deny people legal protection.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
looking forward to another page or two of shaggar trying to equate two things that aren’t the same

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
and none of them being relevant to apple

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
in apple airbuds news, sony is trailblazing a path toward making wireless headphones enforce drm so look forward to being unable to use your airbuds/beats to listen to anything other than things purchased directly from apple soon

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if it's hdcp but for audio then it'll be a non-issue

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I want those implanted in my ears so that I never have to hear any sound that hasn't been approved by timb

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Stymie posted:

in apple airbuds news, sony is trailblazing a path toward making wireless headphones enforce drm so look forward to being unable to use your airbuds/beats to listen to anything other than things purchased directly from apple soon

they will only be able to play Sony ATRAC files

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm very glad we moved away from the horrible audio transmission kludge that was Three Wires and towards this amazing new Bluetooth future

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
courage

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

I'm very glad we moved away from the horrible audio transmission kludge that was Three Wires and towards this amazing new Bluetooth future

it gets kludgy when you have to start worrying about matching impedance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Perplx posted:

it gets kludgy when you have to start worrying about matching impedance

i've never had this problem